Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    And that's the best case scenario. I wouldn't be surprised to see him fired anywhere between 6 and 18 months.

My worry is that he sees TFC as nothing but a stepping stone stop so he needs to do something in 2 years or less. That would probably equal him dumping younger guys with value (Akinola, Delgado, Laryea) for established older vets he can persuade her through his name. Then after he leaves for Europe or is fired we're left with nothing like back in 2013.
    I don’t think he will have that sort of control over the roster. Given his short runway (succeed or fail) it would be unwise to give him that much discretion.

I just want to see how it looks (assuming he’s the coach). In theory, I don’t hate it as much as Olsen or Armas.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 01-05-2021 at 11:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don’t think he will have that sort of control over the roster. Given his short runway (succeed or fail) it would be unwise to give him that much discretion.

I just want to see how it looks (assuming he’s the coach). In theory, I don’t hate it as much as Olsen or Armas.
    But yet the rumor mills are saying Viera will want a significant say on roster decisions if he's the coach, which apparently is something Manning or Ali do not want to give up.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    But yet the rumor mills are saying Viera will want a significant say on roster decisions if he's the coach, which apparently is something Manning or Ali do not want to give up.

He can have his say in the roster, but he won't have control.

Obviously he'll want to play a certain way - which means he'll need certain pieces to do that - but I don't think the club would rebuild the roster and lose key assets to accommodate it.

There will have to be a meeting in the middle. Somewhere so that if/when he does leave, the club isn't scrambling to rebuild, it would just be some tweaking and slight maneuvering - similar to the position they are in now. We don't need a rebuild.

If they do "part ways" it'll be because he'll want to dump more than what Manning is willing to part with.
    I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but IMO, for a guy I don't see being here in the long term, it's probably a good thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the modern football club is more akin to a regular corporation than clubs of old. No corporation puts all the power in one individual’s hands, it’s too reckless.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the modern football club is more akin to a regular corporation than clubs of old. No corporation puts all the power in one individual’s hands, it’s too reckless.
    That seems to be the way things are going with the exception of a few - I feel like a guy like Pepe has full control over everything. But he is part of the elite 1% IMO. Not many of those in world footy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most managers want some control over the roster to make sure they have the tools to utilize their tactical gameplan. That's why usually the manager has the power or have a signicificant say over first team roster positions unless it's a team with a long established style of play that the new manager has to conform to. Even then they get some say.

A manager like Armas or Olsen will go along with whatever they're given and try to do what they want like parking the bus with Rooney at DM. A guy like Viera with a name might want to be in control of his own plan just like Henry in Montreal. Not saying it's good or bad in general but when you read up on Viera's postmortems, it's not like he left the teams in a better place then when he started.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every indication is the manager will have input but doesn't get to establish what targets.

Kinda like this

Coach "I think we need x & y & z for these reasons "
    Management "Hmm, makes sense - we also think of that and also maybe a w"
    Coach "Sure and I think x is more important if we had to rank things"
    Management "OK"

Later

Management "This is what we are looking at right now"
    Coach "OK, yes" or "Maybe not"

And it goes from there

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's official, thanks to Greg for all that he did.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While it is true that #TFC spoke with Patrick Vieira, I'm being told right now that he is not a candidate for the open position.

Things can change, of course. But right now, he's looking to stay in Europe.

(Kristian Dyer Twitter)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, maybe Vander Wiel was right.

This club has no ambition anymore. I'm not going to lie but I've lost motivation to tune into the league and TFC. Maybe it's the whole pandemic thing, but thIs club does not excite me anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In his defence, if anyone knows what a lack of ambition looks like it would certainly be Gregory Vander Wiel. He looks at it in the mirror every day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While it is true that #TFC spoke with Patrick Vieira, I'm being told right now that he is not a candidate for the open position.

Things can change, of course. But right now, he's looking to stay in Europe.

(Kristian Dyer Twitter)
    where the heck is the toronto press ,have not heard a peep from these guys

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rollins is Toronto press, FWIW.

The other usual suspects would be Kloke, Jacks, Davidson & Singh - maybe a bit from the radio guys.

I would note the LAG official rumours went through US national soccer media & not the local people.

Dyer is a little weird to be taking all that seriously as he's not an MLS journo.

I'm not betting on anything right now except I find it weird a head office that prides itself on no leaks is supposedly leaking but journos have different leaks.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 01-05-2021 at 05:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Rollins is Toronto press, FWIW.

The other usual suspects would be Kloke, Jacks, Davidson & Singh - maybe a bit from the radio guys.

I would note the LAG official rumours went through US national soccer media & not the local people.

Dyer is a little weird to be taking all that seriously as he's not an MLS journo.
    Rollins lol,,,the fact is we get most of the tfc info from guys in other cities,maybe dyer has some connection with curtis when he was at nyrb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

He has an NFL beat at the moment but he was a beat guy and TV analyst covering the Red Bulls for years. He's based in NYC and likely still has MLS HQ connections.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    He has an NFL beat at the moment but he was a beat guy and TV analyst covering the Red Bulls for years. He's based in NYC and likely still has MLS HQ connections.

Cool..thanks for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In his defence, if anyone knows what a lack of ambition looks like it would certainly be Gregory Vander Wiel. He looks at it in the mirror every day.
    True.

I'm slightly disappointed Vanney took an easy route going to LAG but you cant fault him for it.

I think he should really try to make a go at it internationally at some point, perhaps somewhere overseas like France.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kristian Jack Twitter:
    Sources: Patrick Vieira is not under consideration to be Toronto FC head coach. Contrary to other reports the Frenchman has not been offered a contract to coach the club. The club have narrowed their search to a shortlist & will be looking to offer a contract soon. #TFCLive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so ...armas , the american in germany and olsen,kinda underwhelming,but what do i know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the Juan Cruz Real link was somewhat interesting if for no other reason than the novelty of the local connection and for the potential of hiring someone who wasn’t just unceremoniously given the boot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it was someone none of us have heard about. The front office is really good at avoiding leaks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the Juan Cruz Real link was somewhat interesting if for no other reason than the novelty of the local connection and for the potential of hiring someone who wasn’t just unceremoniously given the boot.
    That was the one i was interested in,fresh blood

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/kevlaramee/statu...491512832?s=21
    I was not given any information on Vieira's intentions. He may not accept the offer, and may have moved on from this process already, as it is reported.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it was someone none of us have heard about. The front office is really good at avoiding leaks.
    im leaning towards the american in germany

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully Jason Bent gets an opportunity to stay with the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    He would be my guess now if someone put a gun to my head. I like his resume.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im sure they got there guy,and Kj knows who it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    David Wagner?

I'd be fully on board with this if it happens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    David Wagner?

I'd be fully on board with this if it happens

The one name I thought would get mentionned in the "well he's available" discussions is Wagner - but then I remember North American soccer twitter barely knows the Bundesliga exists outside of Dortmund & Bayern & the expats playing over there.

I agree with reggie - they have a preferred and KJ probably knows of the name. FWIW, KJ has been consistent in saying Vierra was not interested based on his sources.