Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I think its time that we (the RPB's) made a statement that we all agree
    Are you planning to join the group now (since you seem to be identifying with the Red Patch Boys)? We welcome new members.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My opinion on Mariner has been known since his first game as coach. What I saw during that game made me realize that he didn't know in the slightest what he was doing. It wasn't just a learning curve (I am generally willing to give people time), he really was clueless. Most rep coaches would not make the mistakes that he made.

Subsequent events only confirmed my original assessment.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we're fooked...........I seriously believe he will be gone......it is just toooocrazy and destructive for him to stay........If he stays there is something crazy wrong in the teams power structure.......it will be absolute proof.......and today he's going to Europe for recruits???? loads of old cheap cast-offs there........................why not just call it a employer paid holiday back home Paul......or is that Moe?
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Wow, that sucks, I can't believe it.

Did you guys at least get any positive feedback from the players?
    the players also did not come over, only malcom came over.

i was quite dissapointed that they didn't even wave or give a nod, only freddy hall and logan emory made gestures to us during the game

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    the players also did not come over, only malcom came over.

i was quite dissapointed that they didn't even wave or give a nod, only freddy hall and logan emory made gestures to us during the game
    Crap. I guess the evil reign of Aron Winter really is over. Expecting professionalism from players and coaches in acknowledging supporters, especially away support in crap conditions (in terms of both the weather and the team), is just asking WAY too much...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mariner out before the draft.

I can't see why anyone would want to give him a year. Our previous coach, while unsuccessful, had a vision and plan that didn't pan out so we give time to someone who didn't improve our outlook, looked poor in game decisions and has said he will do anything to be coach? Why give time to someone with no vision? We abandoned vision for results and are at a point to clean the slate when it at least comes to direction on field. We must take it.

Mariner does not deserve time.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    PM is clearly not equipped to be a head coach. By his age he would have had a track record, if he was any good. He has nothing to teach younger players to. He can not establish a strategy or direction for the club. He is out of place.
    I do not know how Anselmi could justify keeping him longer.
    Wow, I never thought about it like this. How does a 59 year old coach only have that little head coaching experience? There's usually a reason for that.

I was skeptical about Winter when he was first hired because he was unemployed for 1.5 years and only coached youth. But Mariner's resume isn't that great either. We are doomed.

I think Mariner is fighing hard for his job because it might be his last.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry Guys,

As much as I don't think Mariner is the right manager, he and Cochrane are going to get the chance to remake the team in their own image and live or die (probably the latter) based on it. At which point we get to start all over again. We just have to endure about 2 more years of crap.

We will not get a new president until it becomes apparent next season that Mariner and Cochrane haven't turned the franchise around.

Just playing Devil's advocate, but what if Mariner does the improbable and gets TFC to the playoffs next year with a soul-sucking defensive style of play? Does that give him a free pass?

Personally, it's not the results that make me want to get rid of those two, it's what I perceive to be a lack of character. You don't say "we just need to make a couple of tweaks", then go around making wholesale changes to the way the game is played on the field. You don't try to undermine your rivals to meet your own ambitions over the good of the club. You don't point fingers and make excuses but take responsibility for results that happened under your watch.
    Last edited by Initial B; 10-31-2012 at 08:46 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Just playing Devil's advocate, but what if Mariner does the improbable and gets TFC to the playoffs next year with a soul-sucking defensive style of play? Does that give him a free pass?
    I would love for that to be the case. I just don't see it happening. I don't think under this management team we can finish ahead of the current top 7 teams in the conference. If we are lucky we could get 8th. And that's only if Philadelphia and New England don't get their shit together.

We will be fighting Chivas for worst team in the league next year.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So yes, Mariner definitely out, but you do realize he's not going anywhere until he's blown up the first half of next season, right?

That's why, when I look at the renewal poll after the price cut, I sort of scratch my head. Why would you want to do this to yourselves again next year?

Maybe I'll see you in 2014.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Sorry Guys,

As much as I don't think Mariner is the right manager, he and Cochrane are going to get the chance to remake the team in their own image and live or die (probably the latter) based on it. At which point we get to start all over again. We just have to endure about 2 more years of crap.

We will not get a new president until it becomes apparent next season that Mariner and Cochrane haven't turned the franchise around.

Personally, it's not the results that make me want to get rid of those two, it's what I perceive to be a lack of character. You don't say "we just need to make a couple of tweaks", then go around making wholesale changes to the way the game is played on the field. You don't try to undermine your rivals to meet your own ambitions over the good of the club. You don't point fingers but take responsibility for results that happened under your watch.
    ^ This is what worries me as well. Even if you're mediocre, you can get lucky in this league. If you're willing to screw the long term for the short term, you can do better for a season. So Mariner is going to Europe to scout. There have been very few "good deals" for European players, in comparison with other MLS salaries. Not the right place to look considering our cap situation. So maybe Mariner offers a "handshake" deal: play this season for x dollars, then next year I'll give you x times 2.5 once the Frings and Koevermans deals are over and I've squeaked into the playoffs once. Or you offer a ladder deal in writing like Barrett had. Of course, if that player doesn't turn out so well, you've screwed the future to save your job.

We've already seen something similar, with the 2014 draft pick traded for a DP, FFS!

But then we're supposed to praise the all-knowing Mariner & Cochrane if they make it to the playoffs once. Not that I'm actually expecting that -- just that making the playoffs may be just as bad as not making them, if you consider the long-term future of the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want Mariner out yesterday. But the harsh reality is that he will be here come start of the new season and will only be let go if the team starts poorly and the stands are even emptier than now. Then the reset button will be pushed yet again, promises will be made to the supporters and it'll be 7 + years of our soccer lives that we'll never get back. I've never been so cynical about TFC and I don't want to be.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I think this is a fine initiative to undertake here, but I'd clarify one thing first - are you a Red Patch Boy (since you refer to us as "we")? As far as I can see, you aren't a member. Possible your status hasn't been updated?

Either way, I agree with you. But if you want to organize something in the name of the group, you should at least become part of the group.

- Scott
    I'm going to PM you on this.

I don't think it would quite have the same ring to it if I had written "as a user of this board". The majority of users of this board would recognise themselves as "members" of it, and the majority of people are users and not members. As this is in the general section, and not in the private members area, I would assume then, that its recognised as a public "membership" of the forum rather than member of the group statement. I hope that's ok?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC isn't making the playoffs under Mariner + Cochrane. This isn't 2007 when 8 of 13 teams made the MLS playoffs. TFC needs to be one of the 5 best out of 10 in the East. There is no way they will be better than the current top 7.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ This is what worries me as well. Even if you're mediocre, you can get lucky in this league. If you're willing to screw the long term for the short term, you can do better for a season. So Mariner is going to Europe to scout. There have been very few "good deals" for European players, in comparison with other MLS salaries. Not the right place to look considering our cap situation. So maybe Mariner offers a "handshake" deal: play this season for x dollars, then next year I'll give you x times 2.5 once the Frings and Koevermans deals are over and I've squeaked into the playoffs once. Or you offer a ladder deal in writing like Barrett had. Of course, if that player doesn't turn out so well, you've screwed the future to save your job.

We've already seen something similar, with the 2014 draft pick traded for a DP, FFS!

But then we're supposed to praise the all-knowing Mariner & Cochrane if they make it to the playoffs once. Not that I'm actually expecting that -- just that making the playoffs may be just as bad as not making them, if you consider the long-term future of the club.
    Uh, guys: a little objectivity. I think the guy's friggin' awful on almost every level. But if he gets us into the playoffs, he stays because he got us into the playoffs, something six other coaches haven't managed (although Chris Cummins was let go with a winning record.)

I don't think there's an icicle's chance in hell it will happen; anyone who's watched the team under him and its statistical irrelevance against every opposition shoudl see that.

Even if, as Cochrane alluded to, we get three or four key pieces in, that will give us one solid lineup, little depth and three fragile DPs. One of those key new players better be able to bag a whole bunch of goals ANd be an ironman, because as much as I love Danny K, I don't see him ever lasting a full MLS season at his age and the way this league bangs target men around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am exhausted by the rhetoric being spouted by Mariner and Cochrane on the end of season video. What complete and utter shite. So all I have left to say is this. MARINER OUT. COCHRANE OUT. Before there is no one left to give a damn!!!!

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yesterday sealed it for me in so many ways.

Its the second coming of Mojo. The guy needs to be shown the door.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Yesterday sealed it for me in so many ways.

Its the second coming of Mojo. The guy needs to be shown the door.
    I'd rather say it's the first coming of Mariner (since his record is worse than Mo Jo's,) but in regards to the fuckedupness of it, it's definitely near par. Also the plans to hire an assistant with a clause to become head coach suggests that Mariner will follow in MoJo's footsteps and promote himself upstairs midway through next season if things don't go the way he wants

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^If that is indeed what transpires, I'm not sure I could handle it. Another 3-4 seasons of mediocrity on top of the last 6 might well be the death knell of this club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I'd rather say it's the first coming of Mariner (since his record is worse than Mo Jo's,) but in regards to the fuckedupness of it, it's definitely near par. Also the plans to hire an assistant with a clause to become head coach suggests that Mariner will follow in MoJo's footsteps and promote himself upstairs midway through next season if things don't go the way he wants
    This is impossible, Mariner is very good at what he does.

(the key here actually, is what he does, is be a total fucking useless cunt...and yes, he's fantastic at it. MLSE can't have enough of these types either.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are we all just verbally wanking off on a message board? if not here's where you can contact the powers that be.

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showth...-emails-to-TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that presser sealed it for me,im out and not renewing,OUT WITH THE COCH AND THE CLOWN!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post
    are we all just verbally wanking off on a message board? if not here's where you can contact the powers that be.

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showth...-emails-to-TFC
    That's what I'm doing.

I'm not personally in agreeance that sending them letters are going to make a difference, or change their course of action. If Mariner and Cochrane are out by Xmas, maybe I'll change my opinion on it, but I'm doubting this happens in any reasonable amount of time.

Mark my words, we'll be discussing "Mariner and Cochrane OUT" this time next year.

Best of luck in your efforts though, I wish they would make a difference. I wish something would.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    I would love for that to be the case. I just don't see it happening. I don't think under this management team we can finish ahead of the current top 7 teams in the conference. If we are lucky we could get 8th. And that's only if Philadelphia and New England don't get their shit together.

We will be fighting Chivas for worst team in the league next year.
    Not too sure on that. It seems like they've hired some pretty competent people to sort out their mess. We've just (allegedly) given another season to the people that created ours.

Sadly, I think this is going to be more a case of everyone else moves ahead and we are left further behind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    That's what I'm doing.

I'm not personally in agreeance that sending them letters are going to make a difference, or change their course of action. If Mariner and Cochrane are out by Xmas, maybe I'll change my opinion on it, but I'm doubting this happens in any reasonable amount of time.

Mark my words, we'll be discussing "Mariner and Cochrane OUT" this time next year.

Best of luck in your efforts though, I wish they would make a difference. I wish something would.
    Only poor renewal numbers will get Mariner + Cochrane removed at this point, in my opinion.

If renewals are good, Anselmi just bought himself 6 more months until he has to make a tough decision.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You shouldn't worry about this. There's no chance it'll happen. Worry about another year at the bottom of the table, instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post
    Not too sure on that. It seems like they've hired some pretty competent people to sort out their mess. We've just (allegedly) given another season to the people that created ours.

Sadly, I think this is going to be more a case of everyone else moves ahead and we are left further behind.
    I feel a poll coming on..."Which club will we battle with for the 2013 Wooden Spoon?" Im going with New England. They seem to be run as terribly as we are and one of the only few MLS clubs showing no signs of progression.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    we stood in the pouring rain for 2 hours to watch the game sunday,

at the end of the game we went over behind the bench and the coaching staff seen us and headed for the lockeroom, only malcom had the sense to come over to thank us for coming and he said sorry for the bad season.

jimmy and paul engaged more with the crew fans chirping him then his own in red who traveled all that way for a shitty meaninglees game
    They probably thought anyone willing to travel to support this mess must be seriously, certifiably insane and therefore not quite sure how to proceed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in marketing circles this is known as expanding the brand?

But seriously, good on you guys for heading down there. Reminds me of Montreal, and in fact most of the season at BMO. In my books it's unforgivable to not acknowledge your supporters with more than a half hearted clap from mid-field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    Only poor renewal numbers will get Mariner + Cochrane removed at this point, in my opinion.

If renewals are good, Anselmi just bought himself 6 more months until he has to make a tough decision.
    If he always makes the same decision, it really can't be that tough?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    That's what I'm doing.

thanks, gotta try something. and if it doesn't work we should keep on them until they are embarrassed into action.

I think Mariner will be out before then. but without a proper president we're going on the same ride again. one season at a time with no future.