Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Does NE have a high injury rate than other teams?

It just seems like if it were the case especially with the Patriots playing there, they would upgrade the field.
    Pats are different though. Different needs. Concrete seems to be ok. Jays and Argos played on lousy turf for years. Aged Moesby prematurely (back) and destroyed Tony Fernandez elbow and they didn’t change the turf. All I know is Koevermans caught his cleats on a seam and tore his knee up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I thought they actually did upgrade that turf last year?
    Maybe it’s better. It was sure awful though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The four-year study, titled “Injury Surveillance in Major League Soccer,” gathered injury data from MLS players during the 2013 through 2016 seasons and was published in the August 2019 issue of The American Journal of Sports Medicine.
    A total of 2,174 in-game injuries were recorded during that time, with 1.54 injuries per game occurring on artificial turf and 1.49 injuries per game taking place on natural grass. Researchers found no statistically significant differences between turf and grass for other injuries — including foot, knee, hip and hamstring injuries.
    Lousy turf like New England’s is (or possibly was) is really bad. I can accept that the most modern turf has not too much more rate of short term injuries than grass but long term I would argue it still causes significant problems for knees hips ankles and backs.

They used to argue that the old types of turf were better for injuries and of course we now know they were terrible. Time will show the same even with the new turf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The study is on FieldTurf which is what NE has.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The study is on FieldTurf which is what NE has.
    They may have replaced it, as Canary pointed out. No question field turf is better than old school turf from a short term injury perspective. Long term, remains to be proven. You are still running ultimately on concrete

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plus all of this is irrelevant. Our players get hurt there and it’s a crap stadium for soccer. Those are the facts that matter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Plus all of this is irrelevant. Our players get hurt there and it’s a crap stadium for soccer. Those are the facts that matter
    The stats do not take into account, the player injury mitigation practices when playing on fieldturf. Knowing how easily one can tear a ligament or hamstring, the players are noticeably reserved, playing a conservative game, particularly with defenders tackling.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think 4 out of 7 CPL teams play on turf. I haven’t noticed an increased rate of injury.
    Not relevant to soccer.

The study about MLS that you quoted, looking at 2013 - 2016, is more interesting. I'll have a look. We should also have a look at other studies. (EDIT I've seen some incredibly crappy studies which were sponsored by the artificial turf industry. Not saying that's the case with the one you quoted, but certainly it is for many others.)

I have heard many pro soccer players say, they feel more tired playing on artificial turf. (That will depend on the exact composition of the plastic turf & infill; "softer" can be better for some things, but more tiring to run on.) Also temperature is a huge concern: in the summer heat, grass fields are measurably cooler. I don't know if anyone has been able to mimic the natural transpiration of grass, on artificial turf. Perhaps somebody is trying.

BTW the infill is a concern, among other things (although not for the occasional MLS away game on plastic). Here's one of many articles. Cork or other infill might be better, but much more expensive and less durable. https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...d10_story.html

In a way, it's decided. Most of the top footy leagues play only on grass or hybrid. As do all the men's international competitions. Many top players don't want to play on plastic. Especially in MLS, top players sit out games on plastic more often.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 08-27-2019 at 08:20 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read the comments on the Washington Post article. Some interesting info, & links to other studies and articles...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me its not about the injuries.

Turf balls bounce differently & the passing is at a different tempo. Depending upon how the turf is taken care of, the turf can either deaden things or make things skip. Ottawa's turf was dry & things bounced weird but slowly. NER's tends to be watered a lot so things skip & bounce weird.

For team's used to a decent grass surface, plastic is not ideal because it doesn't lend it self to the same sort of crisp pass. Turf usually gives an advantage to teams who use it because they can adjust style of play to suit - see Atlanta, Seattle, NER & to a lesser extent, Portland. Vancouver & Cinci have tried to do a counter attack game but their technical skills are not enough to overcome the ball control issues turf creates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Not relevant to soccer.

The study about MLS that you quoted, looking at 2013 - 2016, is more interesting. I'll have a look. We should also have a look at other studies. (EDIT I've seen some incredibly crappy studies which were sponsored by the artificial turf industry. Not saying that's the case with the one you quoted, but certainly it is for many others.)

I have heard many pro soccer players say, they feel more tired playing on artificial turf. (That will depend on the exact composition of the plastic turf & infill; "softer" can be better for some things, but more tiring to run on.) Also temperature is a huge concern: in the summer heat, grass fields are measurably cooler. I don't know if anyone has been able to mimic the natural transpiration of grass, on artificial turf. Perhaps somebody is trying.

BTW the infill is a concern, among other things (although not for the occasional MLS away game on plastic). Here's one of many articles. Cork or other infill might be better, but much more expensive and less durable. https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...d10_story.html

In a way, it's decided. Most of the top footy leagues play only on grass or hybrid. As do all the men's international competitions. Many top players don't want to play on plastic. Especially in MLS, top players sit out games on plastic more often.
    How is the CPL not relevant to soccer? LOL

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is the CPL not relevant to soccer? LOL
    Sorry man, I mis-read that. I thought you said CFL teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are studies that look at the actual torque placed on joints on artificial turf versus grass that show much more pressure on joints on fake grass. That's often what leads to injury. You can feel the difference on your knees and ankles on fake grass. There is no give - you stop almost instantly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey what's happened with ciman
    Is he still on the team

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    The stats do not take into account, the player injury mitigation practices when playing on fieldturf. Knowing how easily one can tear a ligament or hamstring, the players are noticeably reserved, playing a conservative game, particularly with defenders tackling.
    Interesting you mentioned them playing a more reserved game due to the turf, i'll try to pay attention and see if defenders are pulling up a lot more on tackles and not going to ground as often

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    Hey what's happened with ciman
    Is he still on the team
    We actually have a little depth at CB for once. Assuming he is just down the depth charts just after Moor and before Zavaleta. There could be some other reason but I haven't heard anything myself.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    We actually have a little depth at CB for once. Assuming he is just down the depth charts just after Moor and before Zavaleta. There could be some other reason but I haven't heard anything myself.
    Ciman is definitely available depth now; but probably also in the doghouse a bit since Houston.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/ByDougMcIntyre/s...637516810?s=20

Yay

Very interesting, a lot of negative comments about Omar. Hmmm
    Last edited by stevep; 08-28-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay

Boy, the USMNT fan certainly have a real hate on for Jozy, MB, and Omar. Good news that they'll be available for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay

A fair amount of the USMNT support are a bit nuts in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    A fair amount of the USMNT support are a bit nuts in my opinion.

Certainly jerks. Bradley, for example, deserves praise for his commitment to the USA, not scorn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Certainly jerks. Bradley, for example, deserves praise for his commitment to the USA, not scorn.
    Actually very few negative comments about Bradley and Jozy, all were to og

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pfk View Post
    Boy, the USMNT fan certainly have a real hate on for Jozy, MB, and Omar. Good news that they'll be available for us.
    It all goes back to

1. Bob Bradley is his Dad
    2. Jozy is a big black dude who plays with the ball as his feat
    3. DM's are never understood
    4. Gonzalez is not flashy
    5. Jozy suked very publically at the only league that counts to many of these people
    6. Not making it big in European leagues these people respect
    7. Wonderboys in Europe are loved - if you are in MLS, you are a hack

Counterpoint - after the disaster in Trinidad, the only 3 guys who spoke to the media that night are all on our team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might I add, what the USMNT requires and what TFC needs are different.

I’m not going to put much stock in opinions from some quarters vs. what we actually see on the field week-to-week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for New England, if we get out of there with no injuries and 0 points I'll be happy. Our record there is terrible. I think something like two wins in our history. Plenty of our guys have gotten injured playing in the dump.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They may have replaced it, as Canary pointed out. No question field turf is better than old school turf from a short term injury perspective. Long term, remains to be proven. You are still running ultimately on concrete
    Not true if installed as recommended at BMO, on a bed of sand and gravel. Sure, many facilities don't do that for logistical reasons i.e. Skydome, Olympic Stadium, Lamport etc etc etc etc

It's not as good as natural of course BUT it's not concrete either!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    Not true if installed as recommended at BMO, on a bed of sand and gravel. Sure, many facilities don't do that for logistical reasons i.e. Skydome, Olympic Stadium, Lamport etc etc etc etc

It's not as good as natural of course BUT it's not concrete either!
    When we had turf at BMO it was ultimately On Concrete. Not sure where in the world it’s on sand. Not in the USA in football stadiums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the good guys beat NER on the plastic pitch, they'll jump up in the standings. NER is only one point ahead.

The Limpact play DC United (Rooney is suspended) on Satruday. If those two tie, then TFC will jump to 5th place. AlsoTFC have two games in hand over the Limpact and DCU.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When we had turf at BMO it was ultimately On Concrete. Not sure where in the world it’s on sand. Not in the USA in football stadiums
    Ultimately, every pitch is on bedrock if you go down far enough!

BMO's field was built roughly like this one (see jpeg).

It was encased in a concrete tub down about 14-16" IIRC but guess what. That concrete tub is still there! They put the natural grass infrastructure (now SIS) inside it so our natural grass is also, ultimately On Concrete!

https://oi860.photobucket.com/albums...g?t=1567023160
    Last edited by Blizzard; 08-29-2019 at 03:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I wonder if he's going to try a 4-3-3 with:

Q

laryea OG Mavinga Morrow
    Benezet Bradley Poz
    Gallargo Jozy Shafft

Bench: Bono, Oso, Auro, Delgado, DeLeon, Moor
    In what world does Shaff start the next most important game of the season?