Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Would it really have had much of an effect on TV if say two games were played at the same time? How many people watch random MLS games that they have no attachment too, sure some but not a lot.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Would it really have had much of an effect on TV if say two games were played at the same time? How many people watch random MLS games that they have no attachment too, sure some but not a lot.
    there may be a limit of how many TV operators that were allowed in tithe bubble, along with limited camera equipment?
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have watched nothing of this so far. Zero.

I am really torn about the game tomorrow.

On the one hand, it's my team.

On the other, this whole thing is the stupidest thing I have ever seen, and is, on a moral level, absolutely terrible.

I love my team but I am not some junkie jonesing so badly that I am looking for veins in my toes.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the one hand, it will likely be the one time you get to hear the way the team communicates (well, we might if Luke Wileman shuts it for a bit). Like how much does Vanney actually talk? Or Westberg? Or Gonzalez?

I know, its a stretch but it will give some insight into how this team does stuff.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So will Nashvlle and Dallas have to play three random games against each other during the regular season to make up for missing out on the tournament?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ATL vs NYRB so far the best game among a lot of not very good stuff

If MLS was hoping to show the world a good product, they underestimated how long it takes for teams to work out the kinks - these are teams who only played 2 games in a league where most teams only have the rust shaken off after 4.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    ATL vs NYRB so far the best game among a lot of not very good stuff

If MLS was hoping to show the world a good product, they underestimated how long it takes for teams to work out the kinks - these are teams who only played 2 games in a league where most teams only have the rust shaken off after 4.
    I know the players didn't want to be in the Florida swamp/bubble any longer than necessary. But I wonder if one pre-tournament warm-up game per team in the bubble might have been a good idea, likely against a squad from the opposite conference. Would have also left a bit more time to deal with testing and quarantine for those teams with a few positive tests.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far I've watched all the games. A lot of rust which is understandable but if TFC can play somewhere near their normal I think they are significantly above most of the teams we've seen so far.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The US doesn't deserve sports, yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

watching the fox feed. the studio crew sounds great. they throw it over to the play by play crew sitting 15 feet away and they sound like they are speaking through my 6 year old's walky talky. what is the deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cinci continues to be complete garbage. Zelarayán is a player though. He's been a clear standout and his strike was beautiful.

Pity Martinez looked real good for Atl.

Bou last night looked real dangerous for NE. Not surprising given his quality in MEX.

Other than that everyone has looked a bit out of sorts for the most part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    Cinci continues to be complete garbage. Zelarayán is a player though. He's been a clear standout and his strike was beautiful.

Pity Martinez looked real good for Atl.

Bou last night looked real dangerous for NE. Not surprising given his quality in MEX.

Other than that everyone has looked a bit out of sorts for the most part.
    Zelarayán is having a night. His pass to Gyasi Zardes on the 3rd goal is magic.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 hour until the Reds kickoff, can not wait, been waiting for this for a long time.

RPB Member
    Banners Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#MLSisNOTback

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waking up too early Sunday morning for this shit.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN2 SportsCentre now showing the hype video for TFC and MLS...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now this is a mighty fine goal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Miami look very much like an exhibition team but I like Pizarro.

Not the flashiest #10 but classy when it counts and works his socks off. Definitely a DP other players will rally around and you can build off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Miami look very much like an exhibition team but I like Pizarro.

Not the flashiest #10 but classy when it counts and works his socks off. Definitely a DP other players will rally around and you can build off.
    He impressed me too. I didn't remember him from the CL run. Chivas if I recall?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Zelarayan guy from Columbus impressed me as a playmaker. He's playing like another Higuain (meaning, he'll probably score buckets of goals against us)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    That Zelarayan guy from Columbus impressed me as a playmaker. He's playing like another Higuain (meaning, he'll probably score buckets of goals against us)
    Columbus is stacked. They may even be one of the favourites this year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Columbus is stacked. They may even be one of the favourites this year
    He looked fantastic and I think they will be pretty good, but as a team I will wait until they play someone else before I crown them truly dangerous. They played maybe the worst non-TFC team I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a start for Vancouver tonight. It may be contoversial but I tend to cheer for them since they pose no discernable threat. The Davies connection helps, not to mention Ricketts. Crepeau has already done his part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Vancouver/San Jose is both the worst and best match of the tournament.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caps are bad, even with 5 players not making the trip to Orlando
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. I also take it back, Vancouver is the worst non-TFC team I've ever seen. Wow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I've been thinking....whats the end game here? Awesome there's a few games....but then what? There's no way the regular season happens with teams playing in their own stadiums. Lets miraculously say there is something that gets going south of the border there's not going to be any games north. Look what the Jays have to do for the travel exemption to avoid the 14 day isolation. They're locked in a bubble at the dome and guys are all over social media complaining about being in prison...which they are. Unless their family is locked in there with them they can't exit to see their kids. No bangy bangy. Nothing. Same with the NHL and NBA finishing out their seasons. They're locked up.

The only way there's more games is if they pick another location in the US and do another tourny in a bubble. I just can't see any other way around play games in 2020.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    So I've been thinking....whats the end game here? Awesome there's a few games....but then what? There's no way the regular season happens with teams playing in their own stadiums.
    The unstated but discussed reason for this current tournament is a sop to ESPN that will hopefully get a larger TV contract. The new CBA gives players a cut of the TV - that's why the buy in from the union on this venture.

As for the future, there are owners thinking they can do this - don't forget, some of these guys also own NFL teams - that league is actually going to make people sit in seats during a pandemic. They also look at England & Germany & go, "Hey, we can at least do that!" MLB is supposed to start up next week too behind closed doors. But those are TV driven revenue leagues.

MLS is a gate driven league - if some of these teams don't open up with fans, they will lose 8 figures this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    So I've been thinking....whats the end game here? Awesome there's a few games....but then what? There's no way the regular season happens with teams playing in their own stadiums. Lets miraculously say there is something that gets going south of the border there's not going to be any games north. Look what the Jays have to do for the travel exemption to avoid the 14 day isolation. They're locked in a bubble at the dome and guys are all over social media complaining about being in prison...which they are. Unless their family is locked in there with them they can't exit to see their kids. No bangy bangy. Nothing. Same with the NHL and NBA finishing out their seasons. They're locked up.

The only way there's more games is if they pick another location in the US and do another tourny in a bubble. I just can't see any other way around play games in 2020.

The Leafs and the Blue Jays are going to be playing in their respective stadiums - not sure why TFC couldn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    The Leafs and the Blue Jays are going to be playing in their respective stadiums - not sure why TFC couldn't.
    The CDN govt has created an exemption to the 14 day isolation window but under the condition of 100% lock down. They're prisoners in the stadium/hotel. Jays aren't allowed to leave rogers center and if they're caught doing so they face a massive fine and jail time. Until the end of the season. Same with the NHL bubble. Guys are locked down. I'm willing to bet the NHL bubble in Toronto gets compromised and then there's some fairly hefty suspensions / fines.

At least with MLS and NBA they're locked on a resort. Its one thing to be away from your family for a few weeks. Its another for an entire season.