Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The Argos just got 18K out to a game - they are going nowhere.

The issue is how the grounds staff are using sand to cover divots. Not only is it tough on the legs, but the ball was bouncing weird again last night.
    they got 18k out during the ex. They always get a bump. Likely this year the offered something or got lucky. The rest of the season has been the worse attendance they've seen.

Expanding Lamport to 15k would not be a hugely taxing thing and good for the wolf pack.

That though is the real reason I like to think. If the Wolfpack make it through the Super 8s the last thing MLSE, the Argos and the CFL want is to be out drawn by a Rugby team.
    Last edited by Kaz; 08-26-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad a figure such as Seba has finally come out and said something direct about the conditions at BMO. MLSE can't pretend it's a non-issue anymore and they no longer have Larson to respond with a puff piece about how great the ground share at BMO is. I don't know that this will help change anything but the fact that this dialogue still exists 2 years later says a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ground share with the Rugby team would work out perfectly at an expanded Lamport, it fits about 10000 now they would have to add at least 8000 seats , but this Toronto where half ass decisions when it comes to stadiums have been the norm, one has to just remember the old exhibition stadium and how when the Blue Jays came around instead of building a new stadium for baseball did a half ass retrovit of exhibition stadium to house the Jays making the old exhibition stadium one of the ugliest stadiums known to man. Moreover, BMO Field looks the way today because again the city decided on another half ass stadium to house the Argos , things never change in this supposedly world class city lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm finally glad that Seba has come out and voiced many of the fans' concerns. I honestly felt concerned when the Argos were given BMO Field last season, and when MLSE acquired them, I knew our pitch was going to get beaten up. Make no mistake, as well as our pitch has been over the past few years, sharing the pitch with the Argos has definitely affected our performances. I feel for the groundskeepers who try their best to keep our pitch smooth and soft, but even yesterday, I saw a few places where the ball would just bounce when a pass was played.

BMO Field never gets close to being full for the Argos. There's no point in bringing them here. The Lamport is a better venue for them, I feel. As outdated as the Lamport is, if the Argos play there along with the Wolfpack, we might see some renovations happen there to make it a better stadium.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    I'm finally glad that Seba has come out and voiced many of the fans' concerns. I honestly felt concerned when the Argos were given BMO Field last season, and when MLSE acquired them, I knew our pitch was going to get beaten up. Make no mistake, as well as our pitch has been over the past few years, sharing the pitch with the Argos has definitely affected our performances. I feel for the groundskeepers who try their best to keep our pitch smooth and soft, but even yesterday, I saw a few places where the ball would just bounce when a pass was played.

BMO Field never gets close to being full for the Argos. There's no point in bringing them here. The Lamport is a better venue for them, I feel. As outdated as the Lamport is, if the Argos play there along with the Wolfpack, we might see some renovations happen there to make it a better stadium.
    The footprint of Lamport does not work for a Canadian football field, with King Street to the north. Not sure with the envolving makeup of Liberty Village having a 20K seat stadium would be accepted by those in the area.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    The footprint of Lamport does not work for a Canadian football field, with King Street to the north. Not sure with the envolving makeup of Liberty Village having a 20K seat stadium would be accepted by those in the area.
    Yeah, I've taken a look at the dimensions, and it might not have enough room for the end zones. The Wolfpack do play there without any issues, but it seems like the CFL requires bigger end zones than the standard rugby league try zones. The stadium itself isn't portable, either, so it might be tough for CFL games to happen there.

Regarding the Liberty Village culture, I've always felt a sporting vibe there when I lived in that neighbourhood. There's a solid Wolfpack following there, and there's also a surprisingly decent TFC support in the area. It's still maturing, so if MLSE do decide to develop a sporting complex in and around the area, it would certainly work out.

Regardless, we did have a CFL final happen in the BMO Field, so the Argos won't be leaving anytime soon. We just have to make do with this unless more of the players/TFC staff complain about the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba is our franchise player and you have to listen to what he says even if youd rather not.

Argos draw around 14k per game, which is at or close to the lowest they've ever drawn. They play 9 home games, plus 1 preseason (sometimes) and, half the time, one playoff game and (very rarely) a grey cup game. Lamport is not long enough to contain a Canadian football field and would require an additional 10k permanent seats.

TFC II draw about 1100 per game and play 16 home games, plus playoff games in years where they're good. Lamport is long and wide enough for soccer and rugby, and has sufficient capacity.

Just being objective, but if one of the teams absolutely has to be moved, shouldn't it be TFC II?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They planned at one point to play at Varsity with Bloor to the North It could be done if people had the will to do it.

I agree it is unlikely nor would the neo yuppies in Liberty Village would stand for it... I mean they have Barber shops in that area the require you to make appointments well in advance like a Hair Salon. However it would be an easy fix. Woflpack if they can win enough points in the Super 8s are off to the Super League next season... with the right amount of marketing they could draw 10-15k I am sure. The Argos really draw 10-15k now.. So a nice 10-15K stadium would be ideal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    They planned at one point to play at Varsity with Bloor to the North It could be done if people had the will to do it.

I agree it is unlikely nor would the neo yuppies in Liberty Village would stand for it... I mean they have Barber shops in that area the require you to make appointments well in advance like a Hair Salon. However it would be an easy fix. Woflpack if they can win enough points in the Super 8s are off to the Super League next season... with the right amount of marketing they could draw 10-15k I am sure. The Argos really draw 10-15k now.. So a nice 10-15K stadium would be ideal.
    Varsity already had a Canadian size football field plus a track around it. The old Varsity was the Argos stadium for years. Can’t compare the two sites.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or put in hybrid at BMO.

But yeah, at this point, it's not working – something's gotta change.

On a related note, though, a lot of other pitches around the league are looking pretty bad right now too. Is it maybe also just a 'height of the summer' issue?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The hybrid will not solve the problem. It does not make the field indestructible and at the point things get heavily damaged you cannot repair it as easily as the standard grass pitch.

As an example, if we reached the point we did this year when we had to rip up the field, with a hybrid pitch we would have been roundly screwed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    The hybrid will not solve the problem. It does not make the field indestructible and at the point things get heavily damaged you cannot repair it as easily as the standard grass pitch.

As an example, if we reached the point we did this year when we had to rip up the field, with a hybrid pitch we would have been roundly screwed.
    True - but the hope would be that with hybrid it would stand up better and not get to that point.

But you're right - there's no way to know for sure, so still probably better to ship the Argos to Lamport at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    True - but the hope would be that with hybrid it would stand up better and not get to that point.

But you're right - there's no way to know for sure, so still probably better to ship the Argos to Lamport at this point.
    It also doesn't help that we will most likely have to change the pitch around May 2019 due to CCL.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well with the way mlse does business , I guess that puts the nail in the coffin for Sebastian being resigned ? Like our overpriced crap beer , overpriced bland food and zero ability to communicate with mlse about any issue , same old same old , it’s all about Corp profits . Remember they only paid $10 million originally . But they had to buy the Argos , because of some acct’s couldn’t lose loss leader recommendation. It’s all business , I guess they are waiting for gov’t $$$ at World Cup bargaining time .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Varsity already had a Canadian size football field plus a track around it. The old Varsity was the Argos stadium for years. Can’t compare the two sites.
    It's just plastic on the ground you just build back a little bit. Add 500-1000 seats on the south side of the current stands. Put new plastic down and now you have enough to the typical turn out for the Argos. Add 6 or 7 rows to the whole thing beyond that and you'll have 14-16k in seats which until the Argos can draw more is fine. They would lose 90 parking spots doing that. Likely some trees and the small playground on the east side.

You can compare them. It's not a perfect comparison but the Argos are messing up our pitch. They don't draw a crowd unless they paper tickets to Ex visitors

As I say I don't see it happening sadly but it is a decent solution They would actually have stands the looked full and wouldn't hindered other teams.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Argos already use Lamport for practice, don't they?
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This is true. If check the argos twitter you'll see pics of them at lamport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post

My hope would be, with the growth in the men’s and women’s games in this country that BMO gets more use for friendlies, international matchups, etc... with that extra use of the stadium MLSE no longer feels like they need to cram in the Argos in to lower operating costs.

The Argos themselves would clearly benefit from another, slightly smaller venue that’s all one surface type. The question again is where do you find such a thing?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It might be better to lay down grass at Rogers and play the CCL games in February and March there.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    They do practice there on what would be a short and narrow field. Which is not ideal but I guess they have to make due. They also practice at Lakeshore Collegiate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about a 15k stadium share with the Argos & York 9 FC?
    Hamilton & Winnipeg CPL & CFL teams will be sharing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YYZ_Fan View Post
    Don’t see a MLSE CPL partnership/relationship coming together at this point. If a decision was made at some point to move the Argos out of BMO to maintain the grass for the Reds, I could see something in the area of a 20-25K stadium going up for both the Argos and Wolfpack. Now where that would be I am not sure, since the two teams it seems have very different markets/demographics. By the way TFC2 is a complete non factor in any of this decision making since they will be playing in D3 League next year with a 1,000 seat minimum stadium requirement. I fully expect them to play most of their sked at Lamport and other facilities around town next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YYZ_Fan View Post
    York9 FC in talks of building 12-15 000 seat soccer specific stadium @ Kirby (future go station) between Jane and Keele in Vaughan...Argos in Vaughan no way they would draw flies.
    Last edited by tfcmanu; 08-27-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argos players have been complaining about the field as well so nobody is happy. The Argos are averaging, what, 12K a game? It seems that BMO is too big for them. But where else can they play? I don't see a short term solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Hybrid grass can't come soon enough.
    Yes it can. The highevel players we want should be playing on grass. Just grass. Old Trafford, juve type grass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i want grass. I want Gio and when he’s done I want the next one. I don’t want potential stars looking at the turf and discounting their home situation.

Ill pay more more to get rid of the Argos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Yes it can. The highevel players we want should be playing on grass. Just grass. Old Trafford, juve type grass.
    A short list of clubs with hybrid grass on their home pitch:

Barcelona
    Tottenham
    Inter & AC Milan
    Chelsea
    Paris Saint-Germain
    Monaco
    Arsenal
    Ajax
    Villareal
    Manchester City

and yes, Manchester United.

I could go on but the point is obvious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    A short list of clubs with hybrid grass on their home pitch:

Barcelona
    Tottenham
    Inter & AC Milan
    Chelsea
    Paris Saint-Germain
    Monaco
    Arsenal
    Ajax
    Villareal
    Manchester City

and yes, Manchester United.

I could go on but the point is obvious.
    While hybrid grass is what the big clubs have unfortunately none have 300 lb pointy ball linebackers playing on it on a regular basis. Best you can find is the NFL at Wembley which isn’t even close to what our scenario would be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ElvistheEvilScotsman View Post
    While hybrid grass is what the big clubs have unfortunately none have 300 lb pointy ball linebackers playing on it on a regular basis. Best you can find is the NFL at Wembley which isn’t even close to what our scenario would be.
    And the NFL played a game four days before a Euro Qualifier shows that not even Hybrid grass can hold up to pointyball. Both England and Slovenia teams were shocked at the condition of the field.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...ed-nfl-4631347

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Canadian football field fits at Lamport - just get rid of the parking lot at the south side of the stadium. Extend each stand the remaining 35 yards or so down the new field - that in itself would expand capacity by a few thousand, and perhaps provide an opportunity for new CFL changerooms to be built. Then add private boxes and a second deck on top of each existing stand, and you've got a 20,000-seat stadium.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/809020...posted-public/

The expanded stadium is feasible; it's just a question of political will, the right funding formula, and whether the residents of Liberty Village will put up with this as you say.