Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    First off the players knew why we were wearing green, I made sure of that.

Secondly, we had a series of meetings with the front office and as a result of that seasons ticket prices (which was the focal point of that demonstration) were frozen for 2 years.

Overall, I would say it was effective, however when talking ont he scale you are refrencing, yes its even more effective. The issues are not all fans in that stadium understand all the issues and don't come to places like these to discuss them.

Taking fanbases that have tradition and history and comparing them to something like this that has 6 years, its not easy and I think that is Tobors point with it taking more time.
    And this is why something like the paper bag protest is effective here. It's a common North American protest that most sports fans will recognize and understand without having to scour the internet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    TFC FO actions indirectly perhaps. The above could be easily misread.
    Yes, I meant in a figurative way.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narduch View Post
    Yes, I meant in a figurative way.

Thanks for clearing that up.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been avoiding TFC games for most of this year, I really just don't have the stomach for it. BUT, a serious attempt at a protest is something I am totally on board with, and think I can probably round up several disgruntled TFC/Leafs/Raptors/Jays fans to join me. What is actually going on? Paper bags? Wearing green? Protesting post game? All of the above? I'm down with whatever, just let me know so I can prepare and also get as many people as possible to join

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    I've been avoiding TFC games for most of this year, I really just don't have the stomach for it. BUT, a serious attempt at a protest is something I am totally on board with, and think I can probably round up several disgruntled TFC/Leafs/Raptors/Jays fans to join me. What is actually going on? Paper bags? Wearing green? Protesting post game? All of the above? I'm down with whatever, just let me know so I can prepare and also get as many people as possible to join
    great to hear. the more the better! please check the link in my signature. the plan is there.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's great, please join on Facebook. I'd like to see the numbers climb as much as possible. it'll also show the other on board that we are going ahead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Speaking to The Toronto Star last week, Tom Anselmi, the chief executive of M.L.S.E., said: “Our job is real simple now. It’s to deliver them a product they can be proud of, give them something to cheer about. We’re going to turn it around.” - October 2010

Hey Belfast, please bring this up with Tommy!
    Ask him if he thinks he has taken even 1 step towards this, or exactly how long a cycle we're in for here.

"Throughout, fans remained supportive. The raucous, ceaseless singing and chanting at home games was a key element of the entertainment, selling tickets and making television broadcasts compelling. Even at games in Columbus or at the Red Bulls, 1,000 Toronto fans might turn up. The Red Patch Boys organized the bus or plane trips and the hotels. Such was their organizational skills that the Ontario government asked them to stop acting as a de facto travel agency, or get an official license to do so." - Same article

Without mentioning ticket prices/protests/etc. etc. ask Tommy (careful with the wording) - given the organization has not shown that it can produce a winner, how he feels he will get these fans back, is there a plan B?
    Last edited by cmonyoureds; 10-17-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A cycle just does not happen all by itself, the teams wishing to succeed equip themselves with best FO/Managers/Strategies/Continuity/Players, and then these teams participate in the cycle, and when they end up at the top could be cyclical. Teams like TFC, with poor FO/Managers/Strategies/Continuity/Players, have no chance to participate in the cycle at all. It is not like stock market, where tide lifts all the boats. There has to be infrastructure set-up with a respected president at the top making informed decisions, and no, this person is neither Mr. Cochrane nor Mr. Mariner.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=cmonyoureds;1536542]"Speaking to The Toronto Star last week, Tom Anselmi, the chief executive of M.L.S.E., said: “Our job is real simple now. It’s to deliver them a product they can be proud of, give them something to cheer about. We’re going to turn it around.” - October 2010

Hey Belfast, please bring this up with Tommy!
    Ask him if he thinks he has taken even 1 step towards this, or exactly how long a cycle we're in for here.

"Throughout, fans remained supportive. The raucous, ceaseless singing and chanting at home games was a key element of the entertainment, selling tickets and making television broadcasts compelling. Even at games in Columbus or at the Red Bulls, 1,000 Toronto fans might turn up. The Red Patch Boys organized the bus or plane trips and the hotels. Such was their organizational skills that the Ontario government asked them to stop acting as a de facto travel agency, or get an official license to do so." - Same article

Without mentioning ticket prices/protests/etc. etc. ask Tommy (careful with the wording) - given the organization has not shown that it can produce a winner, how he feels he will get these fans back, is there a plan B?[
    /QUOTE]

the meeting is still on for Friday.

I did speak briefly with Tom this morning. no mention of a plan B for them. But I do have a plan B if there's no results in the near future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post
    great to hear. the more the better! please check the link in my signature. the plan is there.
    Awesome! Joined, emailed a bunch of people too. Great job organizing this. Good luck with Tom

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

the meeting is still on for Friday.

I did speak briefly with Tom this morning. no mention of a plan B for them. But I do have a plan B if there's no results in the near future.
    What was said?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    What was said?
    he needed to change the time. but I get the feeling it was a fishing expedition to try and figure me out. it was a short convo.
    I got the "I only hire peope" bit. and how important it is to have the right people in the right place. I said I know he's not a soccerr guy and that i wanted to present some ideas on how to fix this.
    that was about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he needed to change the time. but I get the feeling it was a fishing expedition to try and figure me out. it was a short convo.
    I got the "I only hire peope" bit. and how important it is to have the right people in the right place. I said I know he's not a soccerr guy and that i wanted to present some ideas on how to fix this.
    that was about it.
    Yeah, I was afraid you'd just get the run around.
    Ask him how they decide who the right people are. What evaluation they use, and how they come up with their successful candidates for positions directly affecting the football team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that was about it.
    For what it's worth, these are my three conditions for renewing my season tickets:
    1. Reduce season ticket prices;
    2. Hire a football man for TFC President - not an internal hire, someone that knows MLS well and can inspire fans, ML$E and the players and;
    3. Make a firm decision on the head coach - I'd rather see PM fired, but if not than I want Anselmi to give him a real, public vote of confidence, not the win next year or you're fired bull shit he's apparently given behind the scenes.

Unless they do all three, I won't renew. And this would just be a starting point to begin to restore confidence in the team.

That is my two cents. Good luck with your meeting!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post
    Yeah, I was afraid you'd just get the run around.
    Ask him how they decide who the right people are. What evaluation they use, and how they come up with their successful candidates for positions directly affecting the football team.
    plan on sticking with "how's that working?"

have contacted The Star. let's see if they are interested in our wee story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that was about it.
    Can you ask him a question for me? He's going to say they look to hire based on long term planning, growth and a long term vision of the club. Ask him if they use that as the basis of hiring managers/coaches, why are short term results the benchmark they are judged against? And why hire a direct competitor to them to make them fear for their job security even as they try and impliment these long term plans for success? (It's happened with basically every coach we've had since Mo)

edit: Another question, can you ask him why the Leafs and Raptors and Jays have made international scouting a priority for their clubs growth and developement, TFC still doesn't have it's own scouting system set up, and why we aren't investing in one? The Jays saw the value of putting a recruiting hub in the Dominican Republic by the mid 80s, whats tfcs excuse
    Last edited by Waggy; 10-17-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll make a plan over the next couple of days. there's a lot of great material and questions that have been put forth and I really appreciate all the help.

The main focus will be a vision for the future. what we have now isn't working. What needs to happen for that to change and keep us interested in their product.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that was about it.
    The point is that he FAILED to hire the cornerstone of any football club management structure- the Director of Football or whatever you want to call him, but the link between the MLSE suits(who know nothing) and the Head Coach.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

almost forgot, i said it'll take at least a year or two to fix this mess. not sure that went over well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have contacted The Star. let's see if they are interested in our wee story.
    For heaven's sake DON'T. You pass off whatever you learned directly to the Star you will never get Anselmi's ear again. Let them find the information second hand from what you post on the results of the meeting right here.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    For heaven's sake DON'T. You pass off whatever you learned directly to the Star you will never get Anselmi's ear again. Let them find the information second hand from what you post on the results of the meeting right here.
    Agreed. Don't break confidences.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the star has been contacted to cover the protest and march.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Secondly, we had a series of meetings with the front office and as a result of that seasons ticket prices (which was the focal point of that demonstration) were frozen for 2 years.

Overall, I would say it was effective, however when talking ont he scale you are refrencing, yes its even more effective. The issues are not all fans in that stadium understand all the issues and don't come to places like these to discuss them.

Taking fanbases that have tradition and history and comparing them to something like this that has 6 years, its not easy and I think that is Tobors point with it taking more time.

If I'm not mistaken our green campain in 2010 froze 2011 prices for 2012.
    I'm going to check my statements, but they did increase from 2010 to 2011.
    This is the only year I did not have an increase on my season seats since 07.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Torontotonto View Post
    If I'm not mistaken our green campain in 2010 froze 2011 prices for 2012.
    I'm going to check my statements, but they did increase from 2010 to 2011.
    This is the only year I did not have an increase on my season seats since 07.
    You are indeed right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE = CANCER!
    I like that, new Tshirt.
    march for a Cure Saturday!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a bunch of poop

Where is the town hall this year? Cowards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know how you can prove that and it's pretty ridiculous to say in either case.

It's more likely that they did this because demand had waned.

Personally I didn't renew by the deadline. At which point they threw in the free first game then I renewed... Did you negotiate that to?

The second bolded sentence doesn't make any sense, first of all it's a double negative, and when the negatives are removed this is what you wrote: "The issues are __ all fans in that stadium understand all the issues and ___ come to places like these to discuss them."

I am not sure what you are trying to get across with this statement in the context of potential RPB protests.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    I give the players more credit than you do. Besides, I'm done waiting - I'm going to the game on Satruday and then I'm done.

I'm with you Tobor.

The proof is in the pudding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    What a bunch of poop

Where is the town hall this year? Cowards

Tommy "Remembers '67 like it was yesterday." For f**ks sake i'm happy for him and his vivid memory, because we haven't won shit since then. It's like the CEO of Canadian Tire looking back on his career and saying "I remember back in 1972 when we last made a profit". Doesn't he get it?