RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    Ya but would that 8M gross or net?
    14 million gross apparently.

which makes sense seeing as he's actually considering it.

would have to be a crazy number.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    14 million gross apparently.

which makes sense seeing as he's actually considering it.

would have to be a crazy number.
    $28M. It's a four-year deal. Hard to turn that down at his age.

But we might still see one of the Prem teams match it.

According to this Xinhua agency story, we turned down a loan offer for Soteldo and are demanding a permanent transfer.
    http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/202...ff6a7bd/c.html

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IIRC, a loaned out DP is still on our books as a DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    That might be a real obstacle if the clubs in Brazil don’t have $$$$

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only if we retain the salary. Gilberto got loaned out when we signed Giovinco. Didn't count as a DP because the other team paid his salary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Only if we retain the salary. Gilberto got loaned out when we signed Giovinco. Didn't count as a DP because the other team paid his salary
    Ah. Doubly interesting then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salary retention is what matters.

I doubt that the club wants to loan another DP out after having to give Gil away to Chicago for free last time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Salary retention is what matters.

I doubt that the club wants to loan another DP out after having to give Gil away to Chicago for free last time.
    I still think that with a good coach, Soteldo could be turned into something worthwhile. If we are stuck with him, and Bradley can coach him right. There is a possibility it could work out.

A willingness to be coached is the main thing. BB being able to tell Soteldo to sit down, since Mo Sallah was willing to listen to him, might just be enough to get his head out of his ass.

Getting rid of Altidore is what is most needed. On that front I was thinking about Michael Singh reporting on Jozy. If his contract was super front loaded, say 5.5, 3.5, 1.5 then it is possible he is back without being bought out. He would chew up a lot of AM but would free up the DP spot. Wouldn't require a buyout or renegotiation either.

If that is the case we might just be working on an extension that seems him getting drastically reduced pay for a couple of years before retiring.

Who knows. Love silly season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    $28M. It's a four-year deal. Hard to turn that down at his age.

But we might still see one of the Prem teams match it.

According to this Xinhua agency story, we turned down a loan offer for Soteldo and are demanding a permanent transfer.
    http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/202...ff6a7bd/c.html
    I saw today it's $27M USD ffor 3 seasons. This makes more sense. Still highest paid but not crushing the old record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    I still think that with a good coach, Soteldo could be turned into something worthwhile. If we are stuck with him, and Bradley can coach him right. There is a possibility it could work out.

A willingness to be coached is the main thing. BB being able to tell Soteldo to sit down, since Mo Sallah was willing to listen to him, might just be enough to get his head out of his ass.

Getting rid of Altidore is what is most needed. On that front I was thinking about Michael Singh reporting on Jozy. If his contract was super front loaded, say 5.5, 3.5, 1.5 then it is possible he is back without being bought out. He would chew up a lot of AM but would free up the DP spot. Wouldn't require a buyout or renegotiation either.

If that is the case we might just be working on an extension that seems him getting drastically reduced pay for a couple of years before retiring.

Who knows. Love silly season.
    No matter what a washed up, never been journo on twitter says Soteldo can 100% be a 5 goal 20 assist guy in this league. It's entirely wrong to suggest he is not DP quality. In my mind the behind the scenes stuff must be really bad for them to essentially throw away an 8-figure investment.

Agreed. Jozy needs to get gone already.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    I looked this up and think i got it correct (so feel free to correct if i am wrong)… once you are over $1.6MM you are a DP and cannot be bought down. MB signed a brand new TAM contract after his first contract ended, he was not bought down. We would effectively need to loan (more palatable to others if contract lower as you point out) or buyout Jozy and then resign him as a whatever. But at that point he becomes a free agent, so dont know why he or we would do that unless done “unofficially in advance” to free up a DP spot. But don’t even know if the league would allow it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    No matter what a washed up, never been journo on twitter says Soteldo can 100% be a 5 goal 20 assist guy in this league. It's entirely wrong to suggest he is not DP quality. In my mind the behind the scenes stuff must be really bad for them to essentially throw away an 8-figure investment.
    his head and heart were never here.

On the socials - Most guys post about training or life in the city. His Instagram was always about things back in Brazil. and when he did post about life in Toronto, he only seemed to be with Gallardo and the other rando player I've never heard of. I don't think he was able to adapt to the more "North American / European" way of things.

Venezuelan / Brazilian "way of life" is very different. I have family in/from Venezuela and my wife has family in/from brazil - and it's impossible to replicate that vibe in Toronto. At least that's what I've seen when I've gone down there and what I've heard when they come up here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really doesn't matter where they're from, Auro is from Brazil and he literally has a CN Tower tattoo on his neck. I think it really needs to put into perspective that he came into an Ali Curtis/Chris Armas team that wasn't allowed to play in it home country for half the season. He walked into a shitshow, probably with the fresh memory of having played in Copa Libertadores final in January. Imagine going from losing to Palmeiras in stoppage time for on of the most coveted trophies in the sport to appearing as a substitute in 7-1 thrashing to DC in a matter of 6 months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    his head and heart were never here.

On the socials - Most guys post about training or life in the city. His Instagram was always about things back in Brazil. and when he did post about life in Toronto, he only seemed to be with Gallardo and the other rando player I've never heard of. I don't think he was able to adapt to the more "North American / European" way of things.

Venezuelan / Brazilian "way of life" is very different. I have family in/from Venezuela and my wife has family in/from brazil - and it's impossible to replicate that vibe in Toronto. At least that's what I've seen when I've gone down there and what I've heard when they come up here.
    It does seem like Soteldo is homesick, and hasn’t worked out for that reason. But from a club perspective his DP spot should have been used on a goal scorer to finally replace Seba’s production.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    It does seem like Soteldo is homesick, and hasn’t worked out for that reason. But from a club perspective his DP spot should have been used on a goal scorer to finally replace Seba’s production.
    Yes but then what about Altidore? It was him being here that basically handicapped the options since we have been set up for a lone striker set up for a couple years. I know it can be banked on that Jozy will be hurt but that just compounds how terrible his contract and performance has been for us. We should have re-signed Seba for whatever crazy price he wanted and just let Jozy walk. Hindsight though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Yes but then what about Altidore? It was him being here that basically handicapped the options since we have been set up for a lone striker set up for a couple years. I know it can be banked on that Jozy will be hurt but that just compounds how terrible his contract and performance has been for us. We should have re-signed Seba for whatever crazy price he wanted and just let Jozy walk. Hindsight though...
    I thought we should have resigned Seba. But when we did not, we had to resign Jozy. I have never had an issue with it despite his injuries, and if Vanney brings him on at halftime in 2019 we win the Cup. My main worry about Jozy is that he looked done this year - not his goal scoring touch, but everything else. Making your most expensive and talented player train on his own for 8 weeks, or whatever it was, was not only dumb for the team but didn’t help Jozy.

People treat his injuries like they were his fault - there is a whiff of blame to some comments about him - and that was never true. Covid times may be a bit of an exception, but part of that was the clubs responsibility too, through Armas / Curtis
    Last edited by MightyDM; 12-24-2021 at 05:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the mistake was not preparing for Seba leaving, not that he left. Let’s not be one of those clubs that clutches onto their aging legends, well after their best before date.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think the mistake was not preparing for Seba leaving, not that he left. Let’s not be one of those clubs that clutches onto their aging legends, well after their best before date.
    They should have found a way to keep him a year or two more. Ie Beyond the year remaining in his contract when he left. But you have a point.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

I wonder if BB is going to go after Kaye btw. Just a thought.
    The more I think about it, the more I think this is what TFC are doing, and it’s why they passed on Johnston.

I posted this before Colorado made the deal with us the take Bryan Acosta. If the Rapids sign Acosta, Kaye could be surplus to requirements there. Kaye is out of contract at the end of 2022 and will expect to get paid. His value would skyrocket on the back of a WC run. They also have Kellyn Acosta and Cole Bassett (who just scored on his USMNT debut) and keeping everybody is maybe a lot of assets/dollars in MF for a low spending club?
    Last edited by ensco; 12-24-2021 at 05:34 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delgado to Colorado in return for Kaye would be a good deal for both teams.

(Yes, I'm on here on Xmas eve, and fully know how sad that is)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delgado to Colorado in return for Kaye would be a good deal for both teams.

(Yes, I'm on here on Xmas eve, and fully know how sad that is)
    I think you are on the right track, but suspect it would cost us a fair bit of GAM as well. At least $500K.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    buyout Jozy and then resign him as a whatever. But at that point he becomes a free agent, so dont know why he or we would do that unless done “unofficially in advance” to free up a DP spot. But don’t even know if the league would allow it.
    I don’t think you can actually buyout a DP contract and then resign them to a lower contract. Because every team would be doing this. Ie. sign a DP at premium for 5 years, buy them out, sign them at league minimum (because you’ve already paid for 5 years.) then rinse and repeat for all your slots. By year 4 a team could be effectively playing with an entire team of DPs (if a team had the money to do so).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you are on the right track, but suspect it would cost us a fair bit of GAM as well. At least $500K.
    This all sounds brilliant but why do we need Kaye? Soteldo Poz Oso Priso MB Kaye?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    I don’t think you can actually buyout a DP contract and then resign them to a lower contract. Because every team would be doing this. Ie. sign a DP at premium for 5 years, buy them out, sign them at league minimum (because you’ve already paid for 5 years.) then rinse and repeat for all your slots. By year 4 a team could be effectively playing with an entire team of DPs (if a team had the money to do so).
    You are correct. You cannot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This all sounds brilliant but why do we need Kaye? Soteldo Poz Oso Priso MB Kaye?
    And what about OKello?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I think a big series of moves are coming. Soteldo we all know is gone. If I had to guess, I think Oso and Delgado are also moving.

I love Osorio but he has earned the right at a shot at something bigger, whether it’s Mexico or Belgium or whatever. I think he must be asking for that and we should give it to him.

I wouldn’t rule out Pozo moving on. Those kinds of family problems are very hard to deal with from far away. It may be too much to ask of him.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-24-2021 at 10:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I think a big series of moves are coming. Soteldo we all know is gone. If I had to guess, I think Oso and Delgado are also moving.

I love Osorio but he has earned the right at a shot at something bigger, whether it’s Mexico or Belgium or whatever. I think he must be asking for that and we should give it to him.

I wouldn’t rule out Pozo moving on. Those kinds of family problems are very hard to deal with from far away. It may be too much to ask of him.
    I don't think Osorio's going anywhere. He's a good player but for the salary he's commanding he's not so standout that anyone in Europe is going to pick him up. Mexico maybe, but again, he's on a fair chunk of change and would be competing for playing time constantly instead of guaranteed it in his home town.

If a European team came in for him I'm sure he'd go, for the challenge. Don't see it happening, though.

I don't see Delgado going, either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. If Priso shows anything like his pre-injury form he has to play. And Bradley will play under his father (probably play well, and not as a central defender). Doubt Oso or Delgado are going anywhere.

I love Kaye and we were totally incompetent to let him go in the first place but a midfield rebuild would be a mistake in my opinion. And unnecessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I wouldn’t rule out Pozo moving on. Those kinds of family problems are very hard to deal with from far away. It may be too much to ask of him.
    This will be interesting. My guess is that he bounces back. If Soltedo goes, which he should, a more stable management situation, a good (or great) winger to play with all should help.

General question if he stays: how/where will Bob Bradley play him?This seems crucial. So far we’ve seen him as a 10, a false 9, on the wing.

It may be a bit much to say but I think his best game for us was his very first when he played like I saw him play best in Belgium... and it wasn’t on the wing or as a false 9.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Bingo, exactly, thank-you.