Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although Atlanta was the stronger team overall, Portland actually had some very decent chances but couldn't convert. Very similar in terms of shots & shots on goal. Guzan also with some decent saves. I definitely didn't see this game as being done & dusted after 30 minutes, could have gone either way. But it became inevitable as Portland still couldn't convert.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ditto: rest of MLS has to step up now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    if i here the word atmosphere one more time
    I’ll say it again the best atmosphere by a mile in Atlanta hands down !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

atl is good for the league...but i still think a healthy tfc team is better then atl

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    atl is good for the league...but i still think a healthy tfc team is better then atl
    That was proven last game of season. Ccl is going to be fun in 2019

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if ATL's approach has the potential to be great every year.

TFC can, if they handle the transition of their DP's, become a perennial powerhouse - that's the ambition of TFC - to always be there. I think they pooched things this year in a "post first win now lets win CCL" binge that will never happen again. When we win another MLS title (and we will), I don't think we'll approach the CCL and the next MLS season like 2018 ever again.

Atlanta's is so dependent upon the new talent being good right away - case in point Barco who was crud this season-if they happen to get 2 moves wrong in one season, they will not dominate.

I prefer our approach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    I’ll say it again the best atmosphere by a mile in Atlanta hands down !!
    You're quite the fan eh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I wonder if ATL's approach has the potential to be great every year.

TFC can, if they handle the transition of their DP's, become a perennial powerhouse - that's the ambition of TFC - to always be there. I think they pooched things this year in a "post first win now lets win CCL" binge that will never happen again. When we win another MLS title (and we will), I don't think we'll approach the CCL and the next MLS season like 2018 ever again.

Atlanta's is so dependent upon the new talent being good right away - case in point Barco who was crud this season-if they happen to get 2 moves wrong in one season, they will not dominate.

I prefer our approach.
    Martinez coming over from River Plate as a replacement for Almiron seems a decent approach, ATL certainly seem to be able to bring in talent, even Barco shows skill. If ATL's approach is to become know as a bridge where skilled South American guys can come play a few years and move on to Europe I can see them being a perennial powerhouse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to admit, AU are doing a good job of building a distinct identity within MLS. They strike me as a better executed Chivas USA. I get the feeling that they're in for a bit of a hiccup next season, and I wonder if they'll be prepared for the rigors of Concacafing teams in the CCL.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Martinez coming over from River Plate as a replacement for Almiron seems a decent approach, ATL certainly seem to be able to bring in talent, even Barco shows skill. If ATL's approach is to become know as a bridge where skilled South American guys can come play a few years and move on to Europe I can see them being a perennial powerhouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I have to admit, AU are doing a good job of building a distinct identity within MLS. They strike me as a better executed Chivas USA. I get the feeling that they're in for a bit of a hiccup next season, and I wonder if they'll be prepared for the rigors of Concacafing teams in the CCL.
    Atlanta actually look to be replicating DC United in the early days with their South American emphasis, which means they will have a consistency (although I still expect cap problems this year resulting in them shedding players). DC United was a powerhouse for several years and won several cups.

TFC as the "best version of themselves" is better than Atlanta, though.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that was the rightful result, as much as there are aspects of having a new team to the league win that nobody likes.

The gap between the east and the west in terms of the quality of the top teams is noticeable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not that I wanted Atlanta to win, but they dis play the better game, The thing that really bothers me about Atlanta is the god awful typically American nickname, who in their right mind came up with the 'Five Stripes' ffs. That's like calling Palermo the Pinkies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So for the past 3 MLS Cups, Cascadia can't buy a goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    So for the past 3 MLS Cups, Cascadia can't buy a goal.
    Yes I did not realize that until you mentioned, cheers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Not that I wanted Atlanta to win, but they dis play the better game, The thing that really bothers me about Atlanta is the god awful typically American nickname, who in their right mind came up with the 'Five Stripes' ffs. That's like calling Palermo the Pinkies
    Or calling Palermo the pink and black, or something stupid like that... oh wait
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuck Atlanta!
    Fuck Atlanta!
    Fuck Atlanta!
    Fuck Atlanta!
    Fuck Atlanta!
    Last edited by Redcoe15; 12-11-2018 at 03:46 AM.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No team should have to make their run to the top so easy! And any one who says the worst sports market in North America says otherwise can go eat shit and die!
    Last edited by Redcoe15; 12-11-2018 at 03:47 AM.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ tell us how you really feel, lol.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kashima Antlers beat Chivas 3-2 today and will face Real Madrid in the semis of the CWC.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched the highlights. Would have been in with a good shout there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real handled Antlers 3-1 last night. Bale with a natural hat trick in 11 minutes. But Antlers kept it scoreless until almost halftime.

Esperance beat Chivas in penalties in the 5th place game. So Chivas finished 6th out of 6, dead last.

The final is a total disaster - Real against a UAE team that somehow got by River Plate in penalties (reminder of the advantage that home teams have in penalties). So after all that drama with the Buenos Aires teams, a big airball for FIFA.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-20-2018 at 06:39 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Real handled Antlers 3-1 last night. Bale with a natural hat trick in 11 minutes. But Antlers kept it scoreless until almost halftime.

Esperance beat Chivas in penalties in the 5th place game. So Chivas finished 6th out of 6, dead last.

The final is a total disaster - Real against a UAE team that somehow got by River Plate in penalties (reminder of the advantage that home teams have in penalties). So after all that drama with the Buenos Aires teams, a big airball for FIFA.
    I was going to say, I watched part of this game. Kashima Antlers kept the score fairly respectable, and Madrid wasn't exactly giving 110%. However Antlers looked pretty weak in defense on the goals they did give up, not much better than TFC's defense in 2017 as well as during 2018 CCL.

The UAE team actually looked decent against River Plate, nice goals and some great goalkeeping. I think FIFA will be pretty happy to have them in the final. That will bring in the local interest & a bit of excitement in the stadium. (I've seen some other CWC final rounds, with no local team, and it's often pretty dead.) And at least part of the rest of the world will be interested in Real hopefully scoring a bunch of goals.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I have only watched highlights, and I have to say, the Al Ain highlights against both Esperance and River were top shelf. Their keeper stood on his head against River.

But wow, what an upset, how River could lose to that team..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m so happy they’re getting away with this format. The new format they’re proposing is a lot better, plus it will give the big clubs a bigger reason to try harder.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to close this out, Real Madrid waltzed in the final 4-1. I only watched the highlights, it looked more one sided than that.

This Al Ain team, ten days ago, was losing 3-0 at halftime to something called Team Wellington (not the Phoenix) in the play in game, and somehow got to play in a final against Real Madrid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to close this out, Real Madrid waltzed in the final 4-1. I only watched the highlights, it looked more one sided than that.

This Al Ain team, ten days ago, was losing 3-0 at halftime to something called Team Wellington (not the Phoenix) in the play in game, and somehow got to play in a final against Real Madrid.
    what might have been. What might have been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vegas knights?
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    No team should have to make their run to the top so easy! And any one who says the worst sports market in North America says otherwise can go eat shit and die!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And Jair Marrufo was the ref for the final!