Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Completely agreed. Games generally should be the same time and day ie Saturday 3 pm and we'd 730. I can accept the odd move to Sunday and night games on Saturdays in the summer, but night games in Toronto in March and April is just stupid. As is no rhythm to the matches: league play should starve to have a home game every second Saturday.
    I recall a number of years ago, most home games were at the same time every other Saturday at 3:00-3:30 with the odd Wednesday or Sunday for the most part, please correct me if I am wrong, the memory sometimes fails me, lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Seba says after the very first game "stop talking about last year"

The last "have your picture with the cup" event was in August.

Seba knew.

I hate this North American mentality. You have to play every game with a sense of urgency, I think it has been mentioned before
    TFC were not ruthless enough to be a champion this year

I get it for MLSE - December January is no time to maximise revenues from a cup win. But, that's this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    I agree with your assesment but I would be inclined to swap Telfer with Hagglund and Morgan with Delgado. In my opinion both Hagglund and Delgado had run there course with this club and it is time to move on. Both Morgan and Telfer have shown more positive moments this year and could be part of the club moving forward.
    Delgado is not a fringe player he is our best young player. He had a tough year but is only 23. Last year at 22 he was a regular starter in a treble winning side. Dude has close to 150 appearances, how many other guys in the league have that many at his age-not many. Even with his down year he is now in consideration for the USMNT. Osorio's breakthrough came at 26, I think we can wait on Marky some before we cut him loose.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Delgado is not a fringe player he is our best young player. He had a tough year but is only 23. Last year at 22 he was a regular starter in a treble winning side. Dude has close to 150 appearances, how many other guys in the league have that many at his age-not many. Even with his down year he is now in consideration for the USMNT. Osorio's breakthrough came at 26, I think we can wait on Marky some before we cut him loose.

Agreed - too many people throwing him under the bus.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Agreed - too many people throwing him under the bus.
    I agree. But he is Bill Buckner this year, and rightly or wrongly, that's gonna stick for a bit.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the Campeones Cup? TFC2 players or risking regulars now that the season is basically over? September placement of this game is ok if a team is on form and healthy and in a comfortable position in the MLS table but we are none of the above. Anyone hoping for a rematch of the CCL battle we had will be let down I am sure. Maybe we could have a TFC2 game against their bench players. Pretty sure their bench players will be stronger than ours.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    I agree. But he is Bill Buckner this year, and rightly or wrongly, that's gonna stick for a bit.
    Zavaleta is the Bill Buckner of TFC

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    So the Campeones Cup? TFC2 players or risking regulars now that the season is basically over? September placement of this game is ok if a team is on form and healthy and in a comfortable position in the MLS table but we are none of the above. Anyone hoping for a rematch of the CCL battle we had will be let down I am sure. Maybe we could have a TFC2 game against their bench players. Pretty sure their bench players will be stronger than ours.
    I have a feeling that there is an agreement that a certain number of starters are to be on the field (for the TV overlords, both here and in Mexico).
    The one advantage (I guess?!?) is Tigres are in pre-season mode and although we aren't that good right now, we are still in full-season mode.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    If Delgado is our best young player we really are in trouble. Anyone who saw Osorio when he broke into the team knew he had talent, Delgado is a workhorse lacking in composure. As a CMNT fan seeing him picked for the US makes me very happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zavaleta is the Bill Buckner of TFC
    Why? I dont get it.

Delgado is clearly our Buckner.

The suggestion that Marky isn't good enough is cringe worthy. He's had an off year, so has most of the team. He is on the USMNT and one of the top young players in this league, and is already a vet in the league. Any team in MLS would jump at the chance to grab him. If he leaves its because a Mexican side or something comes in to sign him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JT Red127 View Post
    Why? I dont get it.

The suggestion that Marky isn't good enough is cringe worthy. He's had an off year, so has most of the team. He is on the USMNT and one of the top young players in this league, and is already a vet in the league. Any team in MLS would jump at the chance to grab him. If he leaves its because a Mexican side or something comes in to sign him.
    Guys, all of this is being covered in the 'Who is our Bill Buckner?' thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Kingsriver View Post
    If Delgado is our best young player we really are in trouble. Anyone who saw Osorio when he broke into the team knew he had talent, Delgado is a workhorse lacking in composure. As a CMNT fan seeing him picked for the US makes me very happy.
    I’ll make a blanket statement here (so forgive me if this sounds harsh): people do not understand the value of defensive midfielders and box-to-box players.

These are unsung roles that rarely look like much to the naked eye. Its chasing down opponents to stop counter attacks, busting your gut so somebody can make a simple pass (and then quickly move the ball on). This is decidedly non glamorous and absent of juicy stats like goals or assists. It’s all necessary so someone else can score the goals or so our CB’s aren’t left to fend for themselves 1v1.

At the start of last year. Delgado had trumped osorio and was playing extremely well. He’s hit a rut since but moving him would be a case of TFC selling low.

I think, given Osorio is now more attack minded and hassler is gone, we should be in the madket for another shuttler. But there has to be room for Marky given his high ceiling. He’s not getting called to the USMNT on the odd occasion by accident.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 09-06-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Kingsriver View Post
    It is equally obvious and more so that Delgado has talent. He plays a simple quiet game, expecting him to be flashy is expecting him to be something is he will never be. Marky had a tough year and the team had a down year. Oso had a career year and the team had a down year. Maybe Marky has the bigger impact even though Oso has more offence to his game. As for lacking composure I'll use the Portland game as an example- he had a horrible first half was lucky not to see red, most were calling for him to be subbed as the ref would use any chance to give him a second yellow and he came out a played the full half with a target on his back, kept his cool and gave the team a chance to win. Compare that to Jozy and his red or more recently his yellow for kicking the ball away, compare that to mavinga and his red or even Seba and his constant yapping at the refs. Delgado has his faults but I am happy that we have him and if you don't think he is our best young player who is? What guy on our roster that is his age are you going to put in the lineup game in game out?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why? I dont get it.

Ya I may not get the buckner reference - I assumed it's the guy who lets the team down in a crucial moment :P Which Zavaleta does about 10 times per game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Box to box cheap domestic midfielders do not grow on trees.

I don't like Delgado's play this season - he's been tentative in his passing & not as on the ball as last year. But his regression is not as bad as Zavs. Guy needs days off (which is why I'm a tad ticked he got called up to USMNT camp)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya I may not get the buckner reference - I assumed it's the guy who lets the team down in a crucial moment :P Which Zavaleta does about 10 times per game.
    '86 World Series.....Boston leading NY Mets 3 games to 2....Game 6 bottom of the 9th, 2 outs....Buckner (playing First Base for Boston), let an easy ground ball go through his legs for what would've been the final out, ending decades of Boston not winning the WS....Mets score the winning run on the play, and then Game 7 too....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba says after the very first game "stop talking about last year"

The last "have your picture with the cup" event was in August.

Seba knew.

I get it for MLSE - December January is no time to maximise revenues from a cup win. But, that's this league.
    Also selling the rings and wine to fans... wasn't that just last month when the team is sitting in 8th or 9th place?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    '86 World Series.....Boston leading NY Mets 3 games to 2....Game 6 bottom of the 9th, 2 outs....Buckner (playing First Base for Boston), let an easy ground ball go through his legs for what would've been the final out, ending decades of Boston not winning the WS....Mets score the winning run on the play, and then Game 7 too....
    I know that.

What I don't know is how Delgado got that label vs Zavaleta.

Zavaleta is literally the worst player on the pitch most nights.

I guess cos Buckner was a decent player who made a mistake? thats what Delgado is? A good player having a rough go whereas Zavaleta is just shit?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The closest thing we have ever had to Bill Buckner was Doneil Henry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The closest thing we have ever had to Bill Buckner was Doneil Henry
    At least he scored for us against Vancouver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that.

I guess cos Buckner was a decent player who made a mistake? thats what Delgado is? A good player having a rough go whereas Zavaleta is just shit?
    Guys??? lol "THE MISS" in Guadalajara! If Delgado taps that 90th min pass in we are continental champions.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Guys??? lol "THE MISS" in Guadalajara! If Delgado taps that 90th min pass in we are continental champions.
    Ya - that. I guess I never really lingered on that play too much. but ya - that would be a Buckner moment for sure. But not enough IMO to get rid of him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya - that. I guess I never really lingered on that play too much. but ya - that would be a Buckner moment for sure. But not enough IMO to get rid of him.
    Never a reason to get rid of him, never. I still come back to that play, that miss. It hurts. Doesn't change that I think Marky should be with this club for the long run, but man that memory of watching that ball sail over the net...it'll hurt for a long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marky is a useful player. He hustled on defence, isn't lazy, is a good teammate and can really make a really nice clean break pass every so often.
    Hes a Hasler type - perfect utility player...hope he stays.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give it a rest. Delgado's miss is not in the same category as what Buckner did.

There were so many misses and mistakes in that first leg against Chivas. BMO Field is where that tie was lost. Gio nearly saved our asses despite it all. Delgado had a tricky shot on the volley and missed it.

What happened to Doneil Henry, a bizarre brain cramp and physical error all at once to gift the other side a clear path to victory, now THAT is what Bill Buckner did.

He is an excellent domestic player. I don't want to see Delgado become another Cronin or Dunivant, a guy who we give away and spends the next 8 years as a fixture elsewhere.
    Last edited by ensco; 09-07-2018 at 11:24 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Give it a rest. Delgado's miss is not in the same category as what Buckner did.

There were so many misses and mistakes in that first leg against Chivas. BMO Field is where that tie was lost. Gio nearly saved our asses despite it all. Delgado had a tricky shot on the volley and missed it.

What happened to Doneil Henry, a bizarre brain cramp and physical error all at once to gift the other side a clear path to victory, now THAT is what Bill Buckner did.

He is an excellent domestic player. I don't want to see Delgado become another Cronin or Dunivant, a guy who we give away and spends the next 8 years as a fixture elsewhere.
    This^

Delgado does not deserve the shit he's gotten this year.

Same goes for Zavaleta. The guy might be way overpaid, but he's a decent MLS CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that.

oops, sorry man.....though you meant that you didn't know what Buckner did.....anyways, I agree with you a couple posts after when you say that he shouldn't be sent away because of that.
    He's young and definitely has more to contribute still imo.....but that miss killed his confidence this year....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend that works for TFC told me that TFC apparently has lost 2,000 season ticket holders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    A friend that works for TFC told me that TFC apparently has lost 2,000 season ticket holders.
    Wow.. that's embarrassing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Wow.. that's embarrassing
    Yes - for those fans, not the club.

I could see being one of the people to drop seasons after the first 5 or 6 years of garbage, but to do it this season just because they won't win the cup again? That's just lame.