Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigtfc View Post
    I understand completely. I do, we all would like too win but it's too late. We can get a higher draft pick and with the additions we have made late this season a high draft pick would benefit us well for next season . So we should call this season a write off and see what next season brings
    Yes and focus on CCL. Play the youngins in MLS and play the starters in group stages later this month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default DeRo

While I agree we did not get much for DeRo. We have to remember how this all came about. The first mistake was paying JDG DP money that made DeRo jealous. They tried to pay him the money he wanted but because of the cap and also they could not pay him DP money because of league rules they could not give him the money he wanted. They checked with the league and they could not work a deal. Also DeRo asked for a trade. Nobody is going to pay him DP money in the league and he already got moved from NYRB. He is very effective under certain systems and others not. He con score but he is not a good passer.

The shame is that we ended up getting nothing for him. If we had got a top flight central defender it would have been worthwhile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Our team has many problems on defense, period. I absolutely agree with you, Pachuco.

But on this particular night, I believe we were spectacularly let down by one particular player - a player who had, we thought, demonstrated at least competence at centre-back in Columbus.

Our offense did their job, and we should draw a positive from that. Our defense failed, and must be improved by Winter. He is accountable for their performance.

And for those mentioning Frei, he doesn't deserve flack for not saving the penalty. It's a pure guessing game, and while some keepers are better than others at reading shots, the reality is that the majority of penalties go in. His save percentage against penalties isn't good, but it also isn't fair to hold him accountable for that goal. Blame goes to Iro, for falling over his own feet, and shoving the DC player to the ground.

But again, on the positive side of things, our offense looked fine going forward. Three goals is a good result against a 10-man side, whatever we think of the keeper's performance.

- Scott
    Do a bunch of you have me on ignore or something? I keep writing what I think are reasonably thoughtful posts, and no one seems to acknowledge their existence, haha.

You guys, you make-a-me sad.

- Scott
    LOL, well said Shakes, well said.

TFC is a much improved club playing without competent central defenders on the backline at the moment. The result is that our club has suddenly become an offensive juggernaut, but we only have 1 loss and 2 draws in the last 3 league games to show for it.

Our only hope short of more player acquisitions is for guys like Viator and Robinson to be given an opportunity at CB and run with it.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 08-06-2011 at 11:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigtfc View Post
    I understand completely. I do, we all would like too win but it's too late. We can get a higher draft pick and with the additions we have made late this season a high draft pick would benefit us well for next season . So we should call this season a write off and see what next season brings
    Writing off the season for a higher draft pick would be insane. Why should we support them if Winter's not willing to go for the win every single time they play?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think our offense is much improved from what it was. I think our defense is still rubbish - but yes, maybe Viator and Robinson can help.

I'm not holding my breath, though. It seems clear to me that Winter needs to do serious scouting and homework, and find a couple of central defenders who can reliably play above-average football. Maybe a left-back too.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think our offense is much improved from what it was. I think our defense is still rubbish - but yes, maybe Viator and Robinson can help.

I'm not holding my breath, though. It seems clear to me that Winter needs to do serious scouting and homework, and find a couple of central defenders who can reliably play above-average football. Maybe a left-back too.

- Scott
    I thought the Cann/Williams partnership was decent in the beginning of the season. It's a pity Gargan and Borman were playing on either side of them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default avila

anybody else extremely impressed w avila. i think he played really well for a first game they almost playing him as a linker behind the forwards. excellent control of the ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some things that I saw that weren't mentioned here.

- When TFC scored the 2nd or 3rd goal (can't remember which one) the camera panned over to the TFC bench and Borman and someone else was just sitting there not celebrating

- After the 3rd goal - Kovermans went up to Iro to encourage him and make him feel better. Before Kovermans and Frings no one would of done that to a young player

I am hoping that DK or Frings goes and chats with Iro and give him a word or two of encouragement. He is a young player and his confidence is gone now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, lost in all the disappointment tonight was the play of Avila. I also thought he played his role at AM very effectively, and he almost scored in his debut.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    I thought the Cann/Williams partnership was decent in the beginning of the season. It's a pity Gargan and Borman were playing on either side of them
    Yeah, I sometimes forget that we have more than one defender out on long term injury. It's difficult to really assess what we have back there, when you can't look at guys like Cann and Williams.

If TFC buy out JDG this winter, though, we should still have more than enough cap space to get a couple of above-average defenders, or maybe even one marquee defender. Winter just needs to do the scouting necessary.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    Yes and focus on CCL. Play the youngins in MLS and play the starters in group stages later this month.
    YES! 100 percent agree crouchy. Give the young kids a chance to shine and make for some friendly competition next year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post

- When TFC scored the 2nd or 3rd goal (can't remember which one) the camera panned over to the TFC bench and Borman and someone else was just sitting there not celebrating

- After the 3rd goal - Kovermans went up to Iro to encourage him and make him feel better. Before Kovermans and Frings no one would of done that to a young player

I am hoping that DK or Frings goes and chats with Iro and give him a word or two of encouragement. He is a young player and his confidence is gone now.
    I saw Koov do that too. Classy move by him. You'd half expect Koevermans and Frings to be sitting there thinking "who is this joke?" after the night Iro had, but instead Koov tried to give him a vote of confidence.

Definitely speaks to Koov's character as a player.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, although I think it's time for Iro to sit and for Winter to give the other new CBs an opportunity to impress. I also believe Iro should be given a chance to redeem himself at some point, but a few games off might benefit him down the road.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 08-06-2011 at 11:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The kids aren't going to progress simply by being thrown on the field. These guys need to be phased into the team in a professional manner with professional players around them. Playing kids with more kids when they aren't ready just makes for a sloppy outfit and that's counterproductive to their development.

Also, nobody should have any illusions about how many will actually transition to the first team. If we get ONE solid player our of this years crop that's a good return. Most of these guys simply won't make it long run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with the sentiment, but Iro is almost 27 which is anything but young.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think our offense is much improved from what it was.
    This current squad has scored four more goals than the hapless (record drought breaking) 2007 Danny Dichio squad and given up two more goals in the same number of games!

Much improved? Really???

FFS! We played 85 minutes against 10 men and we scrap a draw??? Much improved?

Thank God Frings was marking DeRo or he might have scored 5 or 6 tonight…
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    This current squad has scored four more goals than the hapless (record drought breaking) 2007 Danny Dichio squad and given up two more goals in the same number of games!

Much improved? Really???

FFS! We played 85 minutes against 10 men and we scrap a draw??? Much improved?

Thank God Frings was marking DeRo or he might have scored 5 or 6 tonight…
    It's much improved since the transfer deadline. Obviously I'm not talking about our hapless offense from most of the season.

And as you note in my quote - I was talking specifically about our OFFENSE. I went on to say our defense was rubbish, which would account for the draw.

I've got no problem with criticism, but at least address my points honestly.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obviously he's assessing it after the trades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As always, the panic and rage around here is hilarious. One night the mood is happy, we're moving in the right direction, the next everyone should be drawn & quartered. This board is nuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Much improved? Really???
    He was referring to the current roster versus the offensively challenged roster we had prior to the transfer window. If you have watched the last few games, it's a completely accurate statement.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    What happened....I guess I missed something?
    Marosevic goal... goes running over to the District Ultras corner, slides on his knees and fist pumps them - sadly with half the effort he could have looked up and ackowledged our own supporters who were right above him. I am tired of this shit. Seen it happen too many times at BMO in 112/113 and 127. Behaviour like this around the league can lead to only one eventuality - and it will be ugly.

Respect to the District Ultras for showing restraint and not throwing a single item. Same scenario at BMO and it would have been 4 beers, 2 slices of pizza, a hotdog, and a few coins.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedRum View Post
    Respect to the District Ultras for showing restraint and not throwing a single item. Same scenario at BMO and it would have been 4 beers, 2 slices of pizza, a hotdog, and a few coins.
    This is a blatant lie. Anyone at BMO who buys four beers, two slices of pizza and a hotdog clearly wouldn't have any money left to throw.

Maybe they could throw the deed for their second mortgage.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I sometimes forget that we have more than one defender out on long term injury. It's difficult to really assess what we have back there, when you can't look at guys like Cann and Williams.

If TFC buy out JDG this winter, though, we should still have more than enough cap space to get a couple of above-average defenders, or maybe even one marquee defender. Winter just needs to do the scouting necessary.

- Scott
    He may just stick with what he has as in looking at the current crop of guys plus Cann and Williams. That depends on how Viator and/or Robinson play in the centre when they get the chance. Henry may also get signed to senior contract.

Both Williams and Cann are capable starters.

I think JDG's salary will go elsewhere besides defenders, possibly to finalize Plata's contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    He was referring to the current roster versus the offensively challenged roster we had prior to the transfer window. If you have watched the last few games, it's a completely accurate statement.
    I still can't fathom how people keep complaining about the first half of the season while the new team is on the pitch, and responding like they were the ones who lacked in ability.

First game of the season roster, March 19 2011:

Stefan Frei**, Dan Gargan, Nana Attakora, Ty Harden, Adrian Cann, Nathan Sturgis (Gianluca Zavarise 69), Dwayne De Rosario, Jacob Peterson (Mikael Yourassowsky 71), Nick Soolsma (Keith Makubuya 46), Maicon Santos, Javier Martina

**Players in bold were on the field in DC tonight.

Heathen

Quote Originally Posted by RedRum View Post
    Marosevic goal... goes running over to the District Ultras corner, slides on his knees and fist pumps them - sadly with half the effort he could have looked up and ackowledged our own supporters who were right above him. I am tired of this shit. Seen it happen too many times at BMO in 112/113 and 127. Behaviour like this around the league can lead to only one eventuality - and it will be ugly.

someone should have a word with him that this is not acceptable as it has been done to us numerous times and we don't like it

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't personal Shakes, just making the point that this team is still crap. Frings has elevated it to this point…from shite. And the facts are this team with three tonight have scored only four more than a team that went 4 games without a game to start 2007 and 9 mid season! That is a fact…even with trades. How'd those players work for you tonight?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Toronto_FC_season

This current team is going to wind up with a poorer goal difference than the Dichio team…that, for me, is just unbelievable.

DeRo was a class above, as I expected, he tends to rise to occasions and this was an occasion.

I've read all week here about how Frings was going to mark him off the pitch and break this and that.

DeRo stepped up and delivered.
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't personal Shakes, just making the point that this team is still crap. Frings has elevated it to this point…from shite. And the facts are this team with three tonight have scored only four more than a team that went 4 games without a game to start 2007 and 9 mid season! That is a fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Toronto_FC_season

This current team is going to wind up with a poorer goal difference than the Dichio team…that, for me, is just unbelievable.
    And as I said, this information is largely irrelevant to the point I was making - our offense is much improved since the transfer window, which currently only amounts to a handful of games.

- Scott

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Terrible performance really. Frings was ordinary. Then again, he was playing at the back for most of the 2nd half.

TFC should have won that match but blew it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's see us score goals and play like a team defensively. Scoring is less encouraging when the opponents are weak, down a man, or already blowing us out at the point we score.

This team isn't going to magically transform into anything unless it hashes out some issues, and those just aren't just related to the talent level of our players.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Obviously he's assessing it after the trades.
    As in Dero for Tchani for Iro?