Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Can't blame just Torsten. The entire team fell asleep.
    Go watch the replay at the end where DeRo almost gets his fourth as Torsten gets completely bossed by DeRo and tries falling over to get a foul. Who shows up to bail him out? Let's just say it's Iro-nic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah man, if that was JDG doing his typical thing and running lazily across like that he would have been absolutely savaged beyond belief on these boards. He has to be the midfielder we paid for and get stuck in there.

Anyway, it's one bad play. He's generally been good thus far but Dero got the best of him tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    Why is Iro being blamed for the first goal? Watch the game tape again folks.

Torsten Frings didn't do his job with respect to Dwayne De Rosario. Onus is on him.
    I don't blame Frings, I blame the guys sitting on the bench who can't play their natural position. Which is why I keep saying, This team has more then one problem at CB. It actually has many.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    I was looking for a post that sums up what I'm trying to say, and this one is definitely it.

For as long as the level of expectations here remains so low as to say that coming back from a shitty defender gifting two goals is an achievement, we'll never demand more from this team.

Approach this from another angle: if someone told you that three DP-having team, with a brand new defense, allowed THREE GOALS AGAINST A 10-MAN (for 95 min) SIDE, but held on to a draw, is that a commendable performance?

Much of our offence was invisible and the fact that we allowed three opportunities for DC to exploit our defensive weakness is what you should be worried about. This result is a much bigger disappointment than just Iro.

Shouldn't international superstar Torsten Frings be bossing the midfield of an MLS team with a guy down? Shouldn't Ryan Johnston and Danny Koevermans be running circles around a terrified bunker defence protecting a terrified backup keeper? Shouldn't our overhauled backline be shutting down every ball coming in from a team that's attacking more for the sake of keeping the ball out of their half rather than actually trying to score?

But again, you're right and I'm wrong. It just needs more time. Teams are rebuilt in at least a year. Winter is making progress.

Right?
    I understand your point, but sometimes, the scoreline doesn't tell the whole story. Tonight is one of those nights in my opinion. Any way you slice it, this particular result is on Iro far more than it's on the club, and he knows it. I hope he can regain his confidence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Nah man, if that was JDG doing his typical thing and running lazily across like that he would have been absolutely savaged beyond belief on these boards. He has to be the midfielder we paid for and get stuck in there.

Anyway, it's one bad play. He's generally been good thus far but Dero got the best of him tonight.
    Yep, although that's usually because it's a theme with JDG.

I'm not savaging Frings yet, because he rarely screws up. But he has to take responsibility for that particular fuck up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    That's totally ridiculous, the keeper has to play better than that.

I can't believe the efforts people are going to in order to make something of this.

Haha. Agreed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i thought he was referring to the 1st goal. I would agree it wasn't Frings' best night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My comment was specifically in relation to that goal. The team fell asleep for a big chunk of the match. No disagreement. But that particular play, the onus is on Frings.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still dont understand how Charlie Davies can run to the bunker after a goal and everyone loses their mind, yet our guy does the same thing tonight and nobody cares...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedRum View Post
    Still dont understand how Charlie Davies can run to the bunker after a goal and everyone loses their mind, yet our guy does the same thing tonight and nobody cares...
    What happened....I guess I missed something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyway, one positive seems to be despite how out of shape he looks Koevermans just finds ways to put the ball in the net. Unfortunately, I think the parts around him need a lot of work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    My comment was specifically in relation to that goal. The team fell asleep for a big chunk of the match. No disagreement. But that particular play, the onus is on Frings.
    I have to disagree after watching the replay. If we're talking about space before the freekick, Frings was the one covering space ahead of the 18. Why was Dunfield positioned the way he was? When the played it short, why didn't the defenders close down the space earlier? Why didn't Frei pull off what looked like a routine save? There's way too many variables.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Dude. All things being equal, we played well then no? On the road? With Dero having us in his marks?
    All things being equal. I didn't see an improvement from us. Our offense is clicking, our defense is in shambles. Sometimes to fix the defense you have to sacrifice a bit of the offense. So I'm not convinced that we can just plug the whole in the defense and magically we'll continue to score three goals while allowing 1 every game.

My gutt tells me this new roster isn't much improved over the last one (yet). Next week will be telling. In my opinion, if we play the way we did today, we lose next week's game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    All things being equal. I didn't see an improvement from us. Our offense is clicking, our defense is in shambles. Sometimes to fix the defense you have to sacrifice a bit of the offense. So I'm not convinced that we can just plug the whole in the defense and magically we'll continue to score three goals while allowing 1 every game.

My gutt tells me this new roster isn't much improved over the last one (yet). Next week will be telling. In my opinion, if we play the way we did today, we lose next week's game.
    Granted, our central defense has not improved, but anyone that has watched the last few games can surely acknowledge that our midfield and our forwards are much stronger. I would guess that TFC has scored more goals in the last 3 league games than in the previous 10 games combined.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    If we get rid of Iro, maybe it makes a difference TONIGHT.

Truth is that not one of us can predict the future and a guy that has been on the bench for most of the season and spent a total of 22 hours in a plane, 4 hours on a bus and through quite a few time zones in a week might, just might, have an off night.

I won't give up on a guy under circumstances like that.

This sounds nice.

I will stick with Iro for now. This is a team for fu%$'s sake.

Iro is part of the team, and he has many physical attributes that we need. Let him prove himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not like we were beaten constantly on the counter, and the fact that we played 2 DMs means does not mean we sacrifice our offense. All the goals we let in were gifts, stupid mistakes at the back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Granted, our central defense has not improved, but anyone that has watched the last few games can surely acknowledge that our midfield and our forwards are much stronger. I would guess that TFC has scored more goals in the last 3 league games than in the previous 10 games combined.
    The thing is, it seems as though this team is going all out attacks right now. The wide midfielders we had at the beginning of the season like Yourass, Peterson etc were balanced in that they could defend and attack. Although they weren't very good at attacking. Now it seems like we have guys who are alot more focused on attacking and it seems to be really exposing how bad our defense is. So that's why I say that I'm not sure you can just sign a new CB and all problems are fixed. It's possible that we are scoring more goals because we really aren't concentrating much on defense these days. I also want to see us score goals against an 11 man team that isn't below us in the standings. If that happens, maybe I'll become a believer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not like we were beaten constantly on the counter, and the fact that we played 2 DMs means does not mean we sacrifice our offense. All the goals we let in were gifts, stupid mistakes at the back.
    Really? call me crazy, I felt like 10 men were beating us on the counter way too often tonight. In fact, a one man forward called Derosario was having a field day, even at times when it was 1 on 5. I guess I just saw an entirely different game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. I see what you're getting at.

For sure your are right. We need a better defense, but goal production does not seem to be a concern anymore. We need defenders who can play offensively but who hold the backline when under pressure.

Not easy, but it can be done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing is, it seems as though this team is going all out attacks right now. The wide midfielders we had at the beginning of the season like Yourass, Peterson etc were balanced in that they could defend and attack. Although they weren't very good at attacking. Now it seems like we have guys who are alot more focused on attacking and it seems to be really exposing how bad our defense is. So that's why I say that I'm not sure you can just sign a new CB and all problems are fixed. It's possible that we are scoring more goals because we really aren't concentrating much on defense these days. I also want to see us score goals against an 11 man team that isn't below us in the standings. If that happens, maybe I'll become a believer.
    But our defence has been terrible all season, maybe even worse, based on some of the scorelines earlier this year. The difference is that now we have the horses in the midfield and up front to keep us in matches despite the fact that we don't have any reliable centre backs at the moment. If we can plug those holes with Robinson, Viator, improved play from Iro and Henry, or new acquisitions, I honestly think we will have a solid lineup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Were not making the playoffs people. So why get frustrated?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? call me crazy, I felt like 10 men were beating us on the counter way too often tonight. In fact, a one man forward called Derosario was having a field day, even at times when it was 1 on 5. I guess I just saw an entirely different game.
    Well 1 on 5 shows a lack of competence instead of being caught out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigtfc View Post
    Were not making the playoffs people. So why get frustrated?
    Because we like winning.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't blame Frings, I blame the guys sitting on the bench who can't play their natural position. Which is why I keep saying, This team has more then one problem at CB. It actually has many.
    Our team has many problems on defense, period. I absolutely agree with you, Pachuco.

But on this particular night, I believe we were spectacularly let down by one particular player - a player who had, we thought, demonstrated at least competence at centre-back in Columbus.

Our offense did their job, and we should draw a positive from that. Our defense failed, and must be improved by Winter. He is accountable for their performance.

And for those mentioning Frei, he doesn't deserve flack for not saving the penalty. It's a pure guessing game, and while some keepers are better than others at reading shots, the reality is that the majority of penalties go in. His save percentage against penalties isn't good, but it also isn't fair to hold him accountable for that goal. Blame goes to Iro, for falling over his own feet, and shoving the DC player to the ground.

But again, on the positive side of things, our offense looked fine going forward. Three goals is a good result against a 10-man side, whatever we think of the keeper's performance.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    Go watch the replay at the end where DeRo almost gets his fourth as Torsten gets completely bossed by DeRo and tries falling over to get a foul. Who shows up to bail him out? Let's just say it's Iro-nic.

That's true, but Iro made many more mistakes that have nothing to do with this.

He saved Torsten, who was saving some one else, but so what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well 1 on 5 shows a lack of competence instead of being caught out.
    Which is why I'm saying, our new midfield right now may be stronger going forward, I'm not sure it's shown yet that it can defend as a unit as well. Kinda crazy when you think about all the DMs on this team. Although today I felt the problem was on the flanks, not so much down the middle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because we like winning.
    I understand completely. I do, we all would like too win but it's too late. We can get a higher draft pick and with the additions we have made late this season a high draft pick would benefit us well for next season . So we should call this season a write off and see what next season brings

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do a bunch of you have me on ignore or something? I keep writing what I think are reasonably thoughtful posts, and no one seems to acknowledge their existence, haha.

You guys, you make-a-me sad.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Team improving offensively but not defensively

I would have to check the stats but I do not think we have had a game where we scored less then 2 goals since we made all the changes. So the goals are coming and also from a variety of different players which is good.

We would have won the game except for the play of Iro. Should have won 3-1. He has given up two PK's in 4 or 5 games which cost us 2 points each time. So two wins turned into to 2 ties. The first game I watched I could see he was not the centre back were looking for. His feet are two slow. That's why the ball is always in his feet and gives up penalties. The problem is we have no replacements. This position will have to be addressed in the off season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And how about Koevermans? He looked rusty out of the gate, but is getting the job done since then.

- Scott