Page 100 of 191 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 3,000 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    All right. that had the ring of truth. I still think they made a huge mistake not to address this last year. But Curtis was clearly being honest when he said "we did not anticipate this" Its fair also to say they should have anticipated the possibility - who they bring in now will show how prepared they were in that regard. And I wish he had been asked about budget numbers since TSN reported that the budget was being cut (significantly).
    i heard they were investing more evenly across the team. not sure what that means in a cap league, but it seems like more VV/Bradley type players and less Giovinco type players.
    I did read in that Vanney interview that VV was looking for DP money, VV was well aware it wouldnt happen at TFC and therefore everyone was on same page when a good offer came through

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alfredo Morales is quality, but perhaps not good enough for a DP on a team wishing to be as competitive as us. There is also the matter of his attitude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Took me a long time to appreciate Osorio. Years of missing open nets, etc....then magic....without Seba and Victor, he will have a lot of pressure to bring us 2018 Osirio instead of 2016.....I think here is another reason dumping Seba will hurt this team this year.
    the bigger worry is delgado, who just jumped into starting spot with all of this.
    Surprised he is still on this team

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think people are making realistic DP suggestions. They are not going to spend the money that the names being suggested require.

1) If we go down the historical MLS DP path, I look at DP success around the league (defined as value for money).... most/all of us had never heard of most of the guys where the real value was, eg Valeri, Piatti... so we shouldn't expect that Manning will present someone we have heard of either.

2) If we really want to become a big team, like Atlanta, we should try the "Josef Martinez" model. The scouting and other infrastructure required to be a selling team and pull off an "Almiron" is vast, and I guarantee we don't have it and would have trouble acquiring it. Plus it's super risky, Barco may already be a bust. The market to go after is for Argentines or other South Americans (but probably not Brazilians, they earn a premium in Asia) that are in their mid twenties but have not found a place in the big euro leagues. They already have dealt with the "culture shock" of leaving, and may not be in a rush to go home, once they have left.

This is an example of the type of guy I am talking about. Luis Alario. A big time striker at River Plate. Out of favour at Leverkusen right now... supposedly Leverkusen want 15 million euros for him, but he didn't move at the deadline.... Leverkusen are mid table, the classic selling position, who knows if that report is accurate, could you get him for $5-7M? a guy like this would probably be an absolute superstar in MLS.

https://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/euro...rkusen-1207203
    Last edited by ensco; 02-01-2019 at 10:42 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I don't think people are making realistic DP suggestions. They are not going to spend the money that the names being suggested require.

1) If we go down the historical MLS DP path, I look at DP success around the league (defined as value for money).... most/all of us had never heard of most of the guys where the real value was, eg Valeri, Piatti... so we shouldn't expect that Manning will present someone we have heard of either.

2) If we really want to become a big team, like Atlanta, we should try the "Josef Martinez" model. The scouting and other infrastructure required to be a selling team and pull off an "Almiron" is vast, and I guarantee we don't have it and would have trouble acquiring it. Plus it's super risky, Barco may already be a bust. The market to go after is for Argentines or other South Americans (but probably not Brazilians, they earn a premium in Asia) that are in their mid twenties but have not found a place in the big euro leagues. They already have dealt with the "culture shock" of leaving, and may not be in a rush to go home, once they have left.

This is an example of the type of guy I am talking about. Luis Alario. A big time striker at River Plate. Out of favour at Leverkusen right now... supposedly Leverkusen want 15 million euros for him, but he didn't move at the deadline.... Leverkusen are mid table, the classic selling position, who knows if that report is accurate, could you get him for $5-7M? a guy like this would probably be an absolute superstar in MLS.

a player like Piatti would be amazing

He so good on such a shit team and you never heard a peep from him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It'll be a 10/Winger type rather than an out and out 9 like Alario or Morelos.

I'm not sure if he's allowed to move teams as he has played for two already this season but Emi Rigoni at Zenit is probably of the profile I would think they are going for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    It'll be a 10/Winger type rather than an out and out 9 like Alario or Morelos.

I'm not sure if he's allowed to move teams as he has played for two already this season but Emi Rigoni at Zenit is probably of the profile I would think they are going for.
    Morelos can play the wing, but I agree with you overall

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Morelos can play the wing, but I agree with you overall
    Is it a case of him being actually able to play as a winger or that he's been punted out on to the wing on occasion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This.

We don't need to pay for Brand name players (Giovinco, David-Villa, Rooney) we need to win and buy and sell efficiently.

21/22 years old is a good time to buy, 25 is a good time to sell. I could see them going for someone 26 like Alario if they can buy low because of his form.

https://www.football365.com/news/jus...age-from-13-38 - record fee transfer by age, not median, but still worth noting.
    Last edited by Defoe; 02-01-2019 at 11:17 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's driving that is the phrase "one of the highest MLS transfer fees ever".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Is it a case of him being actually able to play as a winger or that he's been punted out on to the wing on occasion?
    Punted, but still dangerous when put there imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm under the impression that theyre going to be shifting to spending big on transfer fees as opposed to salary.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    What's driving that is the phrase "one of the highest MLS transfer fees ever".
    You spend $5M, you make the top 10 all time
    https://the18.com/soccer-entertainme...-transfer-fees

$5M is peanuts. It is exactly one third of what Southampton wants for Charlie Austin.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-01-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    a player like Piatti would be amazing

He so good on such a shit team and you never heard a peep from him
    Yeah agreed. Chronically the most under appreciated player in the league. We need someone in this mould going forward if 4-3-3 is the plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So does the team get any allocation money for Giovinco?

We received $2.3 million ( I know it's likely a slightly difference amount but I'm going to work with this number). TFC pockets 3/4 of this so $1,725,000 of which we can convert $750K towards allocation money, after deducting any "out-of-pocket" expenses for the player.

So what is an out-of-pocket expense? We didn't pay a transfer fee for Gio. We did pay a DP salary. What expenses are counted? If it's salary over and above the cap hit then we wouldn't get any allocation money for VV either. I'm sure I heard an interview with someone after VV was sold that stated we gained some salary cap relief with that sale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/OlderGoaler/stat...246088704?s=19

Apparently Boyd is a done deal appears to be not a TAM signing that's good news

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You spend $5M, you make the top 10 all time
    https://the18.com/soccer-entertainme...-transfer-fees

$5M is peanuts. It is exactly one third of what Southampton wants for Charlie Austin.
    It is a bit above $5M now, but point still stands. There are a few players missing from that list. 10th place is Kaku now according to transfer market at about 5M pounds so just below $6.5M USD.
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/majo...ettbewerb/MLS1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    I'm under the impression that theyre going to be shifting to spending big on transfer fees as opposed to salary.
    exactly what ive been thinking/saying since we heard that we 'were going cheaper'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    exactly what ive been thinking/saying since we heard that we 'were going cheaper'
    Ideally the player can be a DP for the first season and then be TAM player after that. Atlanta did that with Tito Villalba. If we use this model, we could in theory sign a new DP every year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ideally the player can be a DP for the first season and then be TAM player after that. Atlanta did that with Tito Villalba. If we use this model, we could in theory sign a new DP every year.
    sounds like some fun trickery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can’t imagine MLSE knows or cares the difference between transfer fees and actual salary-it’s all player costs. It’s essentially the same thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know Fellaini's name was floated as a name to come to the MLS and maybe TFC. He just signed with Shandong Luneng Taishan FC in China
    https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detai...r-is-completed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just came up with an idea and tell me if this would work. If Bradley and Altidore mutually cancel their contract this year and sign for 10 million a piece for the remaining of the year then resign following two years under DP status we could keep them for the next 3 years and not have them as to DPS for the remaining two years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I can’t imagine MLSE knows or cares the difference between transfer fees and actual salary-it’s all player costs. It’s essentially the same thing.
    If the cost is 10 Million up front and then 1.5 million in salary(which seems to be market value for South American prospects), that comes to 14.5m over 3 years. Compare this to the 7m/year in salary we were paying giovinco in our current model, it becomes a pretty sizable difference. Subtract from that the transfer fee that we could receive when the player is sold in their prime, and we're spending peanuts compared to now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19Barrett19 View Post
    I just came up with an idea and tell me if this would work. If Bradley and Altidore mutually cancel their contract this year and sign for 10 million a piece for the remaining of the year then resign following two years under DP status we could keep them for the next 3 years and not have them as to DPS for the remaining two years
    Nope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep. If we read between the lines this is exactly the direction we are taking. We just have to look at LAFC, Atlanta, NYRB, Dallas, D.C and NYCFC (just signed a 23 year old Romanian today for a 9 million dollar transfer fee)

Horta, Almiron, Acosta, Kaku, De Rossi are the players that are going to help fund this league along with the leagues young developed talent like Davies, Adam, Larin etc.

I see all of MLS taking this direction. Spending a 100 million on Bradley, Altidore, Defoe and Giovinco is not a sustainable model.

This is how I see MLS by 2022 as a general breakdown.

An example of how an MLS team would look in 2022:

2-3 young skilled players on 6-20 million dollar transfer fees bought when they are 20-24 years old: Martinez, Almiron, Pirez.

4 young players graduated from the acedemy or draft:
    Osorio, Bono, Zimmerman, Carleton.

2-3 North American reserves that aren’t awful: Hagglund, Delgado, Boyd.

3 decent young players on a free transfer or small transfer: Mavinga, Auro

3 Vererans at 500-800 k: Opara, Alonso, Guzan

2 friendly contracts: Diego Valeri, Jara

1-2 liabilities: Giovinco, Di Maria

Forward

Martinez
    Giovinco
    Di Maria
    Boyd

Midfield:

Almiron
    Valeri
    Alonso
    Delgado
    Carleton

Defence:

Jara
    Mavinga
    Pirez
    Opara
    Zimmerman
    Auro
    Hagglund

G.K

Guzan
    Bono

Total team salary: 30 million. MLS will raise the DP and TAM limit by 2022 and teams will have a lot more balance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the cost is 10 Million up front and then 1.5 million in salary(which seems to be market value for South American prospects), that comes to 14.5m over 3 years. Compare this to the 7m/year in salary we were paying giovinco in our current model, it becomes a pretty sizable difference. Subtract from that the transfer fee that we could receive when the player is sold in their prime, and we're spending peanuts compared to now.
    Sure, using your hypothetical numbers for a player we don’t know, that works. Point is they need to reduce the whole thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah think the idea is a 15m transfer plus 2m a year salary over three or four years is still cheaper than Giovinco on 7m a year for four years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Sure, using your hypothetical numbers for a player we don’t know, that works. Point is they need to reduce the whole thing.
    Right, and this is the most logic formula for doing it, while maintaining a high quality of footballer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Yeah think the idea is a 15m transfer plus 2m a year salary over three or four years is still cheaper than Giovinco on 7m a year for four years
    There is no chance that we do this. Zero. That's the Porto/Dortmund model. We don't have the resources or infrastructure.

Atlanta Atlanta Atlanta.... enough already..... for every Almiron there will be 3 Barcos... Atlanta's recruiting without Martino there, is it sustainable? I doubt it.

It's crazy, I have heard effing 100x more about Atlanta's South Americans than I have ever heard about Valeri or Piatti, the obvious gold standards of how you do the DP thing.

Every good team needs 3 or 4 great players. There are 25 or 50 of them in MLS, and a couple will be sold every year. This stuff about becoming a selling league, we have heard it all before (eg when Altidore and Edu sold for big numbers). What happens with 3 or 4 players doesn't change the business model for the other 50 top players is turned on its head overnight.

I look at what NYCFC did (just bought a 23 year old AM from Romania for 8M euros, who is on 1M a year) and I think, how could we do that deal without using a club like Man City's resources? How would we find that player, negotiate with that player, deal with the rampant corruption and weird intermediaries, convince that player to come?
    Last edited by ensco; 02-01-2019 at 01:59 PM.