Page 53 of 64 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 1905
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    Spare me the bullshit TFC will pay anything to win. This is a company MLSE and league MLS whose sole purpose is to make money.[/I]
    To be fair, they’re currently paying a lot of money to NOT win.

MLS is NOT a league where the sole purpose is making money. MLS franchises, especially in big markets, are investments.

Why would a team spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a franchise, millions on players (the highest in the league over multiple years, by quite a substantial amount) when they could spend far less, terribly low TV ratings, and expect butts in seats for the cheapest professional sporting experience to pay for the entire thing and somehow turn a profit?

There’s a point where flushing money down the toilet would stop, but thinking that the goal of most MLS owners is just profit is silly. Why do you think Beckham did what he did?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    To be fair, they’re currently paying a lot of money to NOT win.

MLS is NOT a league where the sole purpose is making money. MLS franchises, especially in big markets, are investments.

Why would a team spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a franchise, millions on players (the highest in the league over multiple years, by quite a substantial amount) when they could spend far less, terribly low TV ratings, and expect butts in seats for the cheapest professional sporting experience to pay for the entire thing and somehow turn a profit?

There’s a point where flushing money down the toilet would stop, but thinking that the goal of most MLS owners is just profit is silly. Why do you think Beckham did what he did?

they made a lot of money in 2016 and 2017 they had a lot of home playoff games plus 2 mls cups.

now there is 27,000 people every game, all the season tickets are sold out. expenses have come down $7M USD /yr. that is some serious coin
    next year Bradley goes down by about $5M /yr, judging by everyones responses here very few will cancel their season seats and those that do will be replaced by people on the waitng list
    7+5 is $12M USD/yr more profit for TFC/MLS. jsut be competitive and profit goes up $12M USD/yr. kaching kaching
    Last edited by stevep; 08-09-2019 at 10:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they made a lot of money in 2016 and 2017 they had a lot of home playoff games plus 2 mls cups.

now there is 27,000 people every game, all the season tickets are sold out. expenses have come down $7M USD /yr. that is some serious coin
    next year Bradley goes down by about $5M /yr, judging by everyones responses here very few will cancel their season seats and those that do will be replaced by people on the waitng list
    7+5 is $12M USD/yr more profit for TFC/MLS. jsut be competitive and profit goes up $12M USD/yr. kaching kaching
    I’m laughing while imagining all the MLSE suits hot off an NBA championship rubbing their hands together thinking about the money a TFC playoff game would bring in from ticket sales.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They spent $11M USD and change on Pozuelo's transfer fee, plus his 3.8M salary...

If we had re-signed Giovinco to what would have likely been a 3 year deal, at say $5.5M, that's a $16.5M outlay. With his transfer fee Pozuelo is going to cost beyond $22 million over the same time. Pozuelo is still more expensive, or basically even, even if we'd have given Giovinco his same salary.

Altidore got a $2M raise.

And if Bradley leaves he'll be replaced with another DP. Sure it will probably be a younger and/or less name-brand player with a lower salary, but that's hardly unreasonable. I do think the days of us lapping the league in yearly spending are gradually coming to an end but your characterization is not fair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    They spent $11M USD and change on Pozuelo's transfer fee, plus his 3.8M salary...

If we had re-signed Giovinco to what would have likely been a 3 year deal, at say $5.5M, that's a $16.5M outlay. With his transfer fee Pozuelo is going to cost beyond $22 million over the same time. Pozuelo is still more expensive, or basically even, even if we'd have given Giovinco his same salary.

Altidore got a $2M raise.

And if Bradley leaves he'll be replaced with another DP. Sure it will probably be a younger and/or less name-brand player with a lower salary, but that's hardly unreasonable. I do think the days of us lapping the league in yearly spending are gradually coming to an end but your characterization is not fair.
    Forgot about that transfer fee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terrible lineup from Vanney yet again, put me in the fire Vanney camp if we lose this game starting Shaff over Gallardo is insane

Unless there is a minute restriction on Gallardo there is no excuse for that decision
    Last edited by Defoe; 08-10-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Terrible lineup from Vanney yet again, put me in the fire Vanney camp if we lose this game starting Shaff over Gallardo is insane

Unless there is a minute restriction on Gallardo there is no excuse for that decision
    And benezet / osorio on the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has to be done now. Curtis is one camera pre game talking all his 'talk'. He hasnt done so well but has to fire Vanney to save himself rightfully. Vanney wants to be Man City but who says MLS is a wingers league? Teams playing direct 4-4-2 are having more success than teams with tricky outside players.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    Has to be done now. Curtis is one camera pre game talking all his 'talk'. He hasnt done so well but geys to fore Vanney to save himself rightfully. Vanney wants to be Man City but who says MLS is a wingers league? Teams playing direct 4-4-2 are having more success than teams with tricky outside players.
    Vanney was pragmatic and switched to 4-4-2 and it resulted in a goal for TFC. Not sure the problem is the manager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Vanney was pragmatic and switched to 4-4-2 and it resulted in a goal for TFC. Not sure the problem is the manager.
    Maybe not having the right game plan from the start? How can you continue to defend Vanney?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you don't think Vanney should be out now, I doubt you ever will.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe not having the right game plan from the start? How can you continue to defend Vanney?
    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    If you don't think Vanney should be out now, I doubt you ever will.
    You two have always been #vanneyout even when the team won the treble. So nothing he could do would win your support.

I didn't support him at first, I was willing to give him a chance, but I wanted Kreis, who did really well with RSL. I didn't really want a coach without first team experience. I changed my mind when he went on a run of really good decisions for two years.

I can be swayed away from supporting him, but a couple of matches isn't enough.

Anyway, I think he's as good as toast anyway unless the team makes the playoffs, which I don't think it will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You two have always been #vanneyout even when the team won the treble. So nothing he could do would win your support.

I didn't support him at first, I was willing to give him a chance, but I wanted Kreis, who did really well with RSL. I didn't really want a coach without first team experience. I changed my mind when he went on a run of really good decisions for two years.

Anyway, I think he's as good as toast anyway unless the team makes the playoffs, which I don't think it will.
    Lol. Check your words. I was not Vanney out from end of 2015 until near the end of last year. I've not liked him but he put good results in that time period and deserves high praise for that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that Vanney has finally jumped the shark. With the players that he has, we should have beaten Orlando handily tonight. But our two TAM signings start on the bench, and only one of them comes on...in the 85th minute. If Gallardo is injured, he shouldn’t be in the 18. If he isn’t then he should be on the field. And as I said in the game thread, the subs made no sense.

I was impressed by how Vanney managed in 2017, driving a great team to even greater heights. But he seems like a deer in headlights with a team that is struggling, and we are really struggling now.

I think that the best thing for the team would be to fire Vanney and bring someone else in. At this point, it probably doesn’t even matter who. There was no sense of urgency on the field tonight. I think a midseason shakeup might spark a little life into this team. They certainly need it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol. Check your words. I was not Vanney out from end of 2015 until near the end of last year. I've not liked him but he put good results in that time period and deserves high praise for that.
    I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by GerMc View Post

I was impressed by how Vanney managed in 2017, driving a great team to even greater heights. But he seems like a deer in headlights with a team that is struggling, and we are really struggling now.
    Funny, "deer in headlights" is exactly how he looked at the post match interview. I remember Preki looking the same way just before he got let go.

I think he knows that his job is on the line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was never Vanney out in the treble as well. Since your so quick to red card that should be 2 to you for personal attacks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stand corrected.

Funny, "deer in headlights" is exactly how he looked at the post match interview. I remember Preki looking the same way just before he got let go.

I think he knows that his job is on the line.
    Thanks man appreciate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He’s has to be gone if we don’t make the playoffs. I’ve never been in the #VanneyOut camp, but this game is surely nudging me in that direction.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a results based job.

For whatever reason, he has been unable to get this group to defend and unable to get them to play the way they all agree they need to play.

The offense is very pretty when it moves the ball quickly like we did once Mullins was on tonight. But when Poz & Jozy are both missing sitters, who's fault is that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again Oldtimer prove I was Vanney Out during the treble. If there's no proof you should be red carded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good riddance

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The team once again came out flat. They looked disinterested and no motivation to fight. He has 2 TAM wingers on the bench and uses one in the 85th minute.

He wasted Houston game.

He's played Zavaleta 12 times and we haven't one a single game he's played.

Bizarre lineups and uses substitutions when it's way too late in the game.

We need breath of fresh air. Someone who isn't monotone and puts the players to sleep. Someone who motivates the team.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again Oldtimer prove I was Vanney Out during the treble. If there's no proof you should be red carded.
    It was just an impression I had, however I just checked and you are correct, you weren't one of those who were #vanneyout during the treble (there were those who were, but you weren't one of them). I think I confused you with someone else. My apologies for my mistake.

In fact, you wrote this during the match day 10 thread in May 2017:

Amazing squad management by Vanney. Mavinga redeemed himself with a few key plays. The B backline was amazing. This is a game where nothing was expected instead dominated and got the 3 pts.
    What happened to games like that? We don't have them any more.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-10-2019 at 10:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    It's a results based job.

For whatever reason, he has been unable to get this group to defend and unable to get them to play the way they all agree they need to play.

The offense is very pretty when it moves the ball quickly like we did once Mullins was on tonight. But when Poz & Jozy are both missing sitters, who's fault is that?
    Sacking a coach isn’t going to get their form back in shape. Form comes and goes regardless who is on the touch line.

Bradley is not the same defensive shield for our backline he was during 2016-2017. It could also explain why our team is so vulnerable to counter attacks that every team in MLS has figured out about us. I’m not sure anyone here or down in the academy is capable of being that defensive mid. Liam Fraser as a distributor is great, but he’s not an anchor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I don’t associate you with much negativity.

In any ca色, tonight was yet another lackluster performance in a must-win match. Even for those of us who defend Vanney (myself included), sometimes you need a change of scenery.

For me, though, last season was not entirely an aberration based on injuries and a Cup hangover; a lot of the issues plaguing this season were present then too.

At this point, it’s tough to determine where fault lies because just about everything is problematic. I’m with just blaming everyone and saying nothing is good enough. There are some bright spots we should build around for the future, but a lot is going to have to happen to turn around this sinking ship and make it into port.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something I found really interesting tonight:

Laryea was down injured in the north end for an extended period. Four TFC on-field players were around Vanney, all drinking water. Vanney was talking fairly animated to them. None of the 4 players ever looked at Vanney; it actually looked like they were making a point of not listening. (Of course, they may have been listening, but their body language suggested something else.) Then one by one, while Vanney was still talking, the players tossed their water bottles aside and walked away, all the while still not acknowledging Vanney in any way. I can't even remember who the players were; I think Bradley was one of them.

Pretty amazing that took going down a goal, AND Patrick Mullins coming on, before TFC looked motivated to play for any length of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Something I found really interesting tonight:

Laryea was down injured in the north end for an extended period. Four TFC on-field players were around Vanney, all drinking water. Vanney was talking fairly animated to them. None of the 4 players ever looked at Vanney; it actually looked like they were making a point of not listening. (Of course, they may have been listening, but their body language suggested something else.) Then one by one, while Vanney was still talking, the players tossed their water bottles aside and walked away, all the while still not acknowledging Vanney in any way. I can't even remember who the players were; I think Bradley was one of them.

Pretty amazing that took going down a goal, AND Patrick Mullins coming on, before TFC looked motivated to play for any length of time.
    I hope Mullins can do well here. The guy is really motivated to succeed and has a great work rate. He definitely looked better today than he did in Ottawa.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he has lost the locker room he will have to go. It will be interesting to see if there's a pattern that shows that being a consistent problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he has lost the locker room he will have to go. It will be interesting to see if there's a pattern that shows that being a consistent problem.
    The negativity circulating prior to this season starting and issues with player attitudes demonstrates that maybe not every “bad attitude” player left (or that they were even wrong).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Yeah, I don’t associate you with much negativity.

In any ca色, tonight was yet another lackluster performance in a must-win match. Even for those of us who defend Vanney (myself included), sometimes you need a change of scenery.

For me, though, last season was not entirely an aberration based on injuries and a Cup hangover; a lot of the issues plaguing this season were present then too.

At this point, it’s tough to determine where fault lies because just about everything is problematic. I’m with just blaming everyone and saying nothing is good enough. There are some bright spots we should build around for the future, but a lot is going to have to happen to turn around this sinking ship and make it into port.
    I'm still convinced that these players are good enough. Bradley, Morrow, Westberg, Bono, Auro, Delgado, Oso, Pozuelo, Jozy, Mavinga, Moor, Gonzalez, Chapman, Laryea, Fraser, Endoh, DeLeon, Morgan, Shaffelburg, Akinola and maybe the new TAM guys. I believe in all of them (even if I think the club can do better for its money at times). I've not lost faith in those players ability to do the job. That's around 20 players I think are good enough and when I believe that strongly in the players it has to be the manager.