Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The tunnel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default The tunnel

I’ve had it with this tunnel trying to catch a train west bound. after a game , we are always concentrate on the stadium you can’t do this you can’t have that stadium what about the tunnel I’ve already complained to go transit to get a prefab walkway so who ever goes to liberty village won’t have a problem being in the tunnel please get on there case this is the year 2018 anybody love that tunnel your stuck there for about 20mins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree..it is so stupid...20k using the tunnel to get across.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

City of Toronto & Metrolinx have a plan to build a new tunnel on the West side of the platform. https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/...ile-112265.pdf

This is unfunded - mostly because the city is spending billions to build a one stop subway & thus can't afford other improvement & Metrolinx prefers to spend its money on parking lots.

Pray for the World Cup is all I can suggest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Completely agree. That tunnel is a disaster waiting to happen. If someone started a fire or set off a smoke bomb down there, there would be a stampede.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wouldn't cost that much in the scheme of things to build a bridge over the tracks.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It wouldn't cost that much in the scheme of things to build a bridge over the tracks.
    I've been saying this for years and years. Forget tunneling and for once just do the simple, smarter thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is that the tunnel extension that they worked on for four years (or is it 5) is ALREADY complete - it is just blocked off with hoarding. They just need to open the bloody thing up as a temporary measure. It is irresponsible to wait another half decade for this new unfunded plan to be completed ( if ever).
    Last edited by wopchop; 03-24-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I’m going to contact city tv on Monday , get them to go there after a game and see what crap this is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Completely agree. That tunnel is a disaster waiting to happen. If someone started a fire or set off a smoke bomb down there, there would be a stampede.
    yeah agreed. As much as the bottleneck makes for some good post game hype there would be a huge problem if any sort of panic broke out.

It's completely shameful the city has allowed this situation to continue on for as long as it has.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I’ve just got in touch with cp 24 told him the story said they will definitely follow up ????? , I’m still getting in touch with other media outlets to run this story

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I've been saying this for years and years. Forget tunneling and for once just do the simple, smarter thing.
    I remember going to Jays game as a young kid at the old exhibition stadium and I am pretty sure they used to have a bridge over the tracks. They could easily build a prefab metal bridge and it would improve the congestion considerably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bridge is a no brainer.

Why the fuck would you consider anything else? Just add a cheap bridge!? Why is this so hard? $200,000 and DONE.

Goddamn politics!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But the bridge will have to look aesthetically pleasing. That will take an architect and community meetings to hammer out a design.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that the bridge will need to be higher due to electrification plans.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate that tunnel. Someone is going to die at some point. I'm shocked it's still open.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Bridge is a no brainer.

Why the fuck would you consider anything else? Just add a cheap bridge!? Why is this so hard? $200,000 and DONE.

Goddamn politics!
    Could be no different than say the bridges they put over the track during the Indy to let people cross. Would ease up the exit dramatically for those leaving after the game.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love how some suggest just making a quick and cheap pre-fab bridge is a better and safer alternative to a tunnel. A bridge here would be used to carry a quite the load, and would have to meet accessibility requirements so that's two elevators on either end. It would have to be high enough to have enough clearance for trains but also low enough to fit underneath the Gardiner. They haven't finalized if they are adding an east-west street in Liberty Village and whether they are extending the Streetcar tracks to Dufferin.

A quick-fix bridge is exactly what not to do here, and the reason this stuff takes so long is that we have to meet safety requirements to avoid tragedies like the "fast bridge" in Florida a few days ago (Several Dead After Walkway Collapse in Miami), and there are several stakeholders in the area like the City, Metrolinx, TTC, and Private Land-owners.

If you don't like the tunnel, you can walk to Dufferin or Strachan and cross over the tracks that way. The bulk of our season is in the spring and summer, it's usually a nice walk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was thinking of something like this. Very good points by RealG-TFC, that's why a wider smooth slope tunnel might be the way to go. Again, funding would still be a major barrier for any project designs.

Last edited by khso11; 03-24-2018 at 06:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A sling shot would be fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A simple modification of the doors would improve things a lot. Right now they have doors with a central pillar so even if the doors are open you have a stupid post obstructing the way, if they switched the doors to ones without the centre post it would speed passage up some.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    I love how some suggest just making a quick and cheap pre-fab bridge is a better and safer alternative to a tunnel. A bridge here would be used to carry a quite the load, and would have to meet accessibility requirements so that's two elevators on either end. It would have to be high enough to have enough clearance for trains but also low enough to fit underneath the Gardiner. They haven't finalized if they are adding an east-west street in Liberty Village and whether they are extending the Streetcar tracks to Dufferin.

A quick-fix bridge is exactly what not to do here, and the reason this stuff takes so long is that we have to meet safety requirements to avoid tragedies like the "fast bridge" in Florida a few days ago (Several Dead After Walkway Collapse in Miami), and there are several stakeholders in the area like the City, Metrolinx, TTC, and Private Land-owners.

If you don't like the tunnel, you can walk to Dufferin or Strachan and cross over the tracks that way. The bulk of our season is in the spring and summer, it's usually a nice walk.

Obviously they'd have to meet safety requirements. It's a non-issue. Just like the temporary stands and like RedCb said it's been done before for the Indy. Just need something a little more upgraded and permanent.

Is there an elevator in the current tunnel, I don't remember seeing one?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obviously they'd have to meet safety requirements. It's a non-issue. Just like the temporary stands and like RedCb said it's been done before for the Indy. Just need something a little more upgraded and permanent.

Yes there are elevators on both sides of the track.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Yes there are elevators on both sides of the track.

So no need to build more then for the "bridge" that requirement is taken care of, I don't think more capacity for wheelchair access would be needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a temporary structure for an event that lasts a weekend over a racing track (asphalt, low to the ground Indy cars). Much different to a permanent structure over train tracks for commuter and inter-city rail fit underneath an elevated expressway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    A simple modification of the doors would improve things a lot. Right now they have doors with a central pillar so even if the doors are open you have a stupid post obstructing the way, if they switched the doors to ones without the centre post it would speed passage up some.
    But even then, the stairs are a safety hazard when used at over-capacity. Look how wide the stairs are on the south side of the tunnel, but the original concept is to separate the traffic to two smaller set of stairs on the north side. Now that the tunnel is used for more than transit users, the original concept doesn't work. Most of the traffic would go to the stairs that's closer to Atlantic Ave during events, creating a bottleneck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That tunnel. People cramming in, stumbling and yanking people out of the way, little kids looking horrified.

What's not to like? Make it smaller I say.

Maybe if enough people started just walking across the tracks and fence they'd get the point.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bridges over active railroad tracks are more expensive to build & to maintain. For every square foot over you can get far more underneath. You also still have to plan & create the entry & exit spaces to get x amount of people onto that bridge. It is far more feasible to build a tunnel coming out from another street then it is to build a bridge going over from the current entry point.

That & see Florida last week for an example of what happens when people do it cheap.

Something needs to be done.

Unfortunately it won't be done for awhile because the city budgets for transit capital projects are all being fed into one particular project while the Metrolinx portion of this requires both a city partnership & stable transit funding from the province.

The amount of ownership one ties to individuals involved in that city transit budget decision, a decision made in the last mayor's term & now maintained during this mayor's term, might, if one is so inclined, affect how one would vote in coming provincial & municipal elections, given who is running for mayor & who now leads a certain provincial political party. Baring the World Cup coming, the likelihood of something getting done on that tunnel will be directly affected by outcomes in both elections.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-25-2018 at 06:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d have full confidence that whatever is built would be do so to a professional standard. The track record of architecture in North America is perfectly fine. They literally give every engineer in Canada a ring made out of a broken bridge as a reminder of their responsibilities. If they build this, rest assured you’re going to be about 1,000,000x more likely to die getting hit by a car on the way to the stadium than you will of a structural failure of the bridge.

Let’s not be tinfoil hat kooks obsessing about risks that are remote.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 03-25-2018 at 09:06 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think go transit should consider closing off access. It wasn't built to let tfc fans get from liberty village to the stadium, and it's a safety risk.
    I don't take it at all after games, it's just easier to walk up strachan, which also wasn't really designed for a few thousand people.
    It would be hard for the city to get political support to pay for new access, when liberty village residents are lobbying for a pedestrian bridge to king street.
    That leaves metrolinx to build a bridge so that people won't walk through their station. I just don't see it as a priority for them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    I think go transit should consider closing off access. It wasn't built to let tfc fans get from liberty village to the stadium, and it's a safety risk.
    I don't take it at all after games, it's just easier to walk up strachan, which also wasn't really designed for a few thousand people.
    It would be hard for the city to get political support to pay for new access, when liberty village residents are lobbying for a pedestrian bridge to king street.
    That leaves metrolinx to build a bridge so that people won't walk through their station. I just don't see it as a priority for them
    If the city did not own BMO field, the expansion would never have been approved without adequate access/egress, and an expanded tunnel (or 2nd tunnel) would have been part of the overall plan. They would have made paying for this project a condition of expansion.