Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't blame the referees for that loss at all.

It's not the referees' fault for missed assignments and faulty execution.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wren View Post
    When we lose 6-2 I can't hang it all on JDG. Our defense in general is spectacularly bad. I have seen a seasons worth of them being chipped and outrun since the first LA game. It got Frings hurt too. We're going to need to start winning 4-3 to have any chance. Harden and Aceval need to sit for a game, I don't care who goes in their place.....put in Stinson and Lambe at this point, they'd be as effective.
    I'm not hanging this one on JDG, but he played a big part. We were still in it when he made that thoughtless, boneheaded, unneccessary play. While wearing the captain's armband.

The real heartbreaker for me was our guys not defending hard enough up high on the second goal in the dying seconds of the first half. That was a team effort. I think I'm repeating myself
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a few random points
    -jdg's brainfart sums the guy up- overrated, overpaid and poor judgement.
    -disappointed in BDK's losing the plot. It was a clear penalty, and I'm sure he and AW told the players to keep their heads. To see the asst coach lose the plot and get sent off sent a very negative message to the players at a key juncture of the match.
    -aceval makes Andy Iro look like a hybrid of Vincent Kompany and Nemanjer Vidic
    -we look really good on the attack. Dunfield Silva and JDG (shockingly) bossed that first half while the movement up top was fantastic
    - Nick Soolsma could be a very big player for us this season. Great pass for the 2nd and works his ass off every time
    -the roadrunner took his goals great and was a constant threat - why was he subbed and what do we not know re his fitness?
    -Doneil Henry and Matt Stinson instead of ass-evil and de guzman please
    -ecks is a beast - love him!

Dead proud we got as far as we did and we were always a longshot to win last night, but by Thunder we gave them something to think about, went into hostile territory and ouplayed the top team in Mexico for the 1st half til we pressed the big red self-destruct button.

Let's hope for a reaction in Montreal to reward all the faithful travelling support (can' t wait!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post

I thought that crew did a pretty great job last night. I personally don't believe you give that foul to JDG there. It was a foul yes, but not much of one and I don't think without the foul he was going to save that ball. Give them the corner. It's the CCL semi and that call ended the game for the most part.

Not saying it was a bad/wrong call, because it wasn't, but I think you eat it there a bit. Suarez really sold what was minimal contact.

That thinking of mine here is really driven by our other north american sport, because whistle swallowing in situations like that is quite common. Perhaps not suited to football so much so I could be wrong in what I believe should have been done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the referee and linesmen were excellent. Didn't let the Mexicans get away with their diving early on so they stopped.
    Goal #2 was onside - I thought offside initially but rewound at HT and he was level with ecks when the ball was played (tho he was goalside of Harden hence it's easy to think he was off).
    Goal 3 was a clear penalty- no need to make the challenge- stay on your feet, force the striker out wide. The only bloody time that useless twat jdg comes back and look what happened. Last time I criticise him for jogging back slow.
    Goal 4 was handball in the box but why the fuck was a 6' tall defender heading a ball that was 2 feet off the ground. I pine for Nick Garcia sometimes.

Nope- can't hang this on the reffing crew- wish he reffed in MLS tbh.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Cityboy View Post
    a few random points
    -jdg's brainfart sums the guy up- overrated, overpaid and poor judgement.
    -disappointed in BDK's losing the plot. It was a clear penalty, and I'm sure he and AW told the players to keep their heads. To see the asst coach lose the plot and get sent off sent a very negative message to the players at a key juncture of the match.
    -aceval makes Andy Iro look like a hybrid of Vincent Kompany and Nemanjer Vidic
    -we look really good on the attack. Dunfield Silva and JDG (shockingly) bossed that first half while the movement up top was fantastic
    - Nick Soolsma could be a very big player for us this season. Great pass for the 2nd and works his ass off every time
    -the roadrunner took his goals great and was a constant threat - why was he subbed and what do we not know re his fitness?
    -Doneil Henry and Matt Stinson instead of ass-evil and de guzman please
    -ecks is a beast - love him!

Dead proud we got as far as we did and we were always a longshot to win last night, but by Thunder we gave them something to think about, went into hostile territory and ouplayed the top team in Mexico for the 1st half til we pressed the big red self-destruct button.

Let's hope for a reaction in Montreal to reward all the faithful travelling support (can' t wait!)
    At first I was glad to see that passion from the staff, but you're right, when you start losing it like that it sets a tone and it was from that point forward that the team started to crumble.

I'm not disappointed per se but I'm disappointed in the way they lost in that they really looked the part for the first 45 minutes and I couldn't believe my eyes.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Watch the Game in Six starting from about 2:58 to see what I mean about us letting the guy have all the time and space in the world.

Anyway, I agree with several of Cityboy's points. Our offence was firing last night and Soolsma is doing a great job. Deceptively quick, good in tight spaces and able to get the cross in with only a foot or two of space. He's really good at getting defenders off balance to get himself that extra bit of daylight.

I ask myself where Koev is going to be on Saturday. The front line of Johnson, Silva and Soolsma was our most effective of the season. Johnson's mobility really complements the speed of Plata and the craftiness of Soolsma. I suppose it's a nice problem to have.

Dunfield is better than JDG. Look at the salary differences. Wow.

Aceval still isn't settled. I don't think he's a bad player, but I don't think he communicates very well.

Harden was our best defender on the night. That does not bode well for our chances. No knock on Ty, as he's doing the most he can given his limited gifts, but he should not be our best defender in any game, ever.

Morgan didn't have a good game after having a monster last week.

After the 4th goal, I stopped watching. I was probably going to through something through my TV screen at JDG.

Plata is a big game player. Look at the games where he's had multiple goals.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the referee and linesmen were excellent. Didn't let the Mexicans get away with their diving early on so they stopped.
    Goal #2 was onside - I thought offside initially but rewound at HT and he was level with ecks when the ball was played (tho he was goalside of Harden hence it's easy to think he was off).
    Goal 3 was a clear penalty- no need to make the challenge- stay on your feet, force the striker out wide. The only bloody time that useless twat jdg comes back and look what happened. Last time I criticise him for jogging back slow.
    Goal 4 was handball in the box but why the fuck was a 6' tall defender heading a ball that was 2 feet off the ground. I pine for Nick Garcia sometimes.

thought goal 4 was a harsh call. by the book, the ref made the correct call, but not necessarily the right call as if Aceval didn't use his hands to protect himself from the fall, he'd have given himself a concussion or something
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just gonna say 2 things stuck out. That goal right before HT took away all the confidence... and JDG's great foul.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At first I was glad to see that passion from the staff, but you're right, when you start losing it like that it sets a tone and it was from that point forward that the team started to crumble.

I'm not disappointed per se but I'm disappointed in the way they lost in that they really looked the part for the first 45 minutes and I couldn't believe my eyes.
    It seemed like a calculated move that didn't work out. Sure, it sets a tone, but sometimes in a positve way. Everyone knew that the second half was going to be a lot different from the first. Maybe it's something to watch for, that instead of getting the team pulling together and fired up that was when the crumbling really started, but maybe they were just outmatched and it was going that way anyway and the coaches were just trying everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Henry is the future at CB, Winter better start playing him NOW.
    With the display at the U23's and last night he has earned a shot to show what he can do.

I went into last night with ZERO expectations of even coming away with a result. The fact that we went up 1-0 and then 2-1 in a semi final in Mexico, when we had didn't score against SJ or Columbus, was a thrill. I'm proud of the boys for making it this far.

What did hurt is knowing that we could be in the final right now. We gifted them their first 5 goals with either below average defending or bone head plays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really disappointed but I'm still proud of the boys!

One of the things that set the teams apart (aside from 2 players who play two of the most important positions fucking up consistently throughout the match - not just on the penalties) was big game experience. Haven't heard anyone on here mention this and I think it's a pretty big factor.

I think the team will be better becasue of this loss and it will be clear NEXT YEAR WHEN WE ARE IN THE FINALS!!

GO REDS!
    Last edited by Dreadlocks; 04-05-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why did I get excited at 2-1? Why was I so naive?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/ccl/news/ar...ses-tfcs-heart

Hercules Gomez being all gracious and stuff
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    Why did I get excited at 2-1? Why was I so naive?
    Because a 2 goal advantage at the stroke of halftime is enough to see a team through 80% of the time.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Because a 2 goal advantage at the stroke of halftime is enough to see a team through 80% of the time.
    ALAS.....

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    thought goal 4 was a harsh call. by the book, the ref made the correct call, but not necessarily the right call as if Aceval didn't use his hands to protect himself from the fall, he'd have given himself a concussion or something
    This is where i disagree and think it was the refs only real bad call on the night. The rule is that the handball has to intentional (at least as i understand it). Hard to tell for sure, but you could see the ref motioning like he thought aceval intentionally hit the ball, but from all angles i saw it was incidental.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/ccl/news/ar...ses-tfcs-heart

Hercules Gomez being all gracious and stuff
    I give the guy credit. He's a hell of a player, he plays for his team with all his heart, he loves the supporters and he is gracious in victory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still reeling from last night's meltdown in Mexico. The bitterness will eventually fade away, but as Craig Forrest aptly pointed out last night, Santos Laguna was there for the taking, and we collectively shot ourselves in the foot several times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    This is where i disagree and think it was the refs only real bad call on the night. The rule is that the handball has to intentional (at least as i understand it). Hard to tell for sure, but you could see the ref motioning like he thought aceval intentionally hit the ball, but from all angles i saw it was incidental.
    In any case, this should have been Kocic ball and he should have called for it. The little chip towards the box wasn't any danger at all, and yet we made it dangerous somehow!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    it's intentional that Aceval moved his hands to the ball, regardless of whether he was trying to protect himself or not.

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with his hand or arm. The referee must take the following into consideration:
    • the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
    • the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
    • the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd also like to take this opportunity to say how much i hate Dobson and Forests commentary.

It's clear that the old boy Canadian soccer gang hates TFC. They're jealous of the success of the club and don't really give MLSE credit as being "real" soccer dudes like Bob Lenarduzzi. If you want proof, just listen to a CAnada game vs a TFC game. It's night and day.

It was so frustrating to listen to them be so negative - and just sit back and wait for the ball to drop. Then when it did, they were more than happy to say "I told you so".

Im not saying these guys should be homers, but it would be nice if they at least reveled in TFC's presence at this stage in the tournament rather than constantly saying that it was a fluke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    I'd also like to take this opportunity to say how much i hate Dobson and Forests commentary.

It's clear that the old boy Canadian soccer gang hates TFC. They're jealous of the success of the club and don't really give MLSE credit as being "real" soccer dudes like Bob Lenarduzzi. If you want proof, just listen to a CAnada game vs a TFC game. It's night and day.

It was so frustrating to listen to them be so negative - and just sit back and wait for the ball to drop. Then when it did, they were more than happy to say "I told you so".

Im not saying these guys should be homers, but it would be nice if they at least reveled in TFC's presence at this stage in the tournament rather than constantly saying that it was a fluke.
    I'll second this. And I've never heard a commentator try so hard for the jynx - Dobson is the kind of guy who talks about a no-hitter or a shut-out. He's constantly going on about what will happen, "If they hang on for the win," and then, like you say, has a real "I told you so" vibe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    It looked onside to me. The real issue on that goal was how much time our forwards and midfield gave the passer to pick out the pass. Watch the buildup and see everyone standing waiting for the whistle instead of hurrying the pass. We gave them way too much time on the ball. Yes, individual errors killed us, but that sort of play allowed them to expose our weak defense.
    Totally agree with the highlighted statement, The referee is not going to blow the whistle with TFc allowing Sanos to move forward with the ball, had the forwards pressured Santos as they moved forward and forced a back pass or lateral pass, the referee would have blown the whistle, I don't get it.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to pull out this guy. Looking forward to May and going at it again.

That's all I'll say about that.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pretty much agree with everything in this post. I thought the refs were pretty good too. I can't agree with the complaints about the refs. We beat ourselves in this game.

I take comfort in the first half. Highly entertaining. Crazy stuff really. I was jumping off my sofa and then screaming in agony. Everything footy should be.

The 2nd half was a debacle. But not unexpected. They were clinical in their finish. We made some mistakes that were costly.

The one thing I will say is that I won't crap on Aceval too much. Let's remember he scored the goal that tied the game at home. Hero one day, scapegoat the next. I'd rather keep a composed head about our players as long as they give 100%. We needed defenders. We have a good one, which Aceval still is. The problem with defenders is that they are always the ones getting blasted over goals (which are going to happen folks) but when they play well (or even score like Aceval did), get little glory.

Granted, he did not have the greatest of games, but the backline works as a unit and overall they were picked apart by an extremely competent club in Santos Laguna. And it was obvious they had a strategy coming into this game that they kept applying all game long. That puts pressure on the backline and needed an adjustment from Winter that did not happen. Still, I take great pleasure in seeing Morgan and even Henry coming on as a sub, hoping that this means better things for them and the future of this club.

I will agree with one other post here though. I didn't realize it until much later, but Ensco is right, why DID the ref add 2 minutes at the end of the first half?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    Time to pull out this guy. Looking forward to May and going at it again.

OMG CLASSIC!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post

I will agree with one other post here though. I didn't realize it until much later, but Ensco is right, why DID the ref add 2 minutes at the end of the first half?
    Three goals and a sub?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's intentional that Aceval moved his hands to the ball, regardless of whether he was trying to protect himself or not.
    The rule is that the handball must be intentional - hand to ball is a factor the ref must consider, but is not conclusive.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Plata is a big game player. Look at the games where he's had multiple goals.
    Mi Paisano!

Is it me or does Platita have like the LOWEST centre of gravity on a person not qualified as a "little person"?

It's actually really interesting to watch. He fell once and it was like instantly he was right up because he didn't have far to fall! LMAO!
    Last edited by Roogsy; 04-05-2012 at 10:14 AM.