Page 99 of 191 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109149 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,970 of 5705
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    It's amazing to me that the use of Transfermarkt has been more derided than the epic bungling of the Pozuelo deal. The one that has made us look unprofessional is the latter, I assure you.

You may find it unprofessional, but football as an industry is largely unprofessionalised at the moment, and many *many* agents, clubs, and execs use Transfermarkt as a rough guide to the marketplace, where in the past they might have activated an industry contact/intermediary to do the same. What should probably gain a little more scrutiny is the crudeness of the use of the database, to narrowly search for players on the Italian NT only.
    Haven't forgotten the Pozo transfersoap story, and how Genk got manhandled, and I think Manning hasn't either.

He has learned, he has been very respectful of Napoli in how they have handled this. I give him full marks for that.

In the meantime, I acknowledge the majority view on the database issue, which is, to paraphrase Zhou En-Lai (the Chinese Premier under Mao): "It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, as long as it catches mice". Tanenbaum (and Masai?) told Manning to get something big done, and he got something big done. Who cares if his way of figuring it out was to google it? Kudos to all.

I think the database issue is subtle and confusing, and it's not black or white. But it gets to the heart of leadership, vision, strategy, and the skill sets associated with winning (a different question than signing players). This is a bigger issue than TFC or sports, in terms of how and when "data" is used, by whom and for what purpose.

If I get into the mood I will make the case on what worries me about that. Maybe later.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-09-2022 at 03:56 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Yes, this is a brilliant piece of business, as is getting the Board to buy into a five year plan through to the World Cup and acquiring Bob Bradley. Bravo. It’s almost like he was disengaged from TFC and has come back in spades. (This success is why I think he will go in the next year or two , as stated above )

He could use some media training though. The angle on his video was unflattering, to say the least, and saying that this started by the club deciding it needed any player from the Italian national team so he went to look and see who was out of contract was just dumb. Fortunately in all the hype that comment will be forgotten, except by me and Ensco, apparently.

Revealing though, to be so transparent about the motives of MLSE - “ Bill, seats are empty. The last time they were full our best player was Italian. Bill,. we need an Italian. Go get one. “
    Exactly , stadium was empty , wasn’t a piece of rocket science from Manning. MLSE provided the money and sent Manning on his way , large Italian community in Ontario and 15 million per buys 90% of any footballer out there, as I said earlier , real test is watching Manning on a KC budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What magical database do you think these football clubs have?

Football manager has been used by world class managers for years, and looking at Transfermark is a good reference point.

When a club needs more info on a players contract situation they go to football agencies/agents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Exactly , stadium was empty , wasn’t a piece of rocket science from Manning. MLSE provided the money and sent Manning on his way , large Italian community in Ontario and 15 million per buys 90% of any footballer out there, as I said earlier , real test is watching Manning on a KC budget.
    why do we care what manning can do or cant do,he was at salt lake with a low budget and they won,im not a manning fan,he has made mistakes.but he has pull with the board and we are a spending club,lets be happy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve heard, NBA GM’s give reference to reading hoopshype before. I get it’s a clunky reference but this is getting entirely too much attention.

We’re almost at 100. Haven’t seen a thread this active since Earl Cochrane missed Dero’s paperwork for his trial at Celtic in the fax machine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there any scenario where we could keep Soteldo?

Bob is experienced, maybe Insigne/Poz/Soteldo/Ayo could work seamlessly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet Soteldo will end up being traded or waived . It's gonna be another Laba/Gilberto situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Is there any scenario where we could keep Soteldo?

Bob is experienced, maybe Insigne/Poz/Soteldo/Ayo could work seamlessly?
    He basically plays the same position as Insigne but nowhere near as well. I can’t see any chance he stays. In fact, if it required I think they’d use the buyout on him instead of Jozy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to paraphrase

Reporter: So Bill how did youy arrive at the decision to pursue Insigne

Manning: Well I use to pay Ali Curtis hundteds of thousands to do this for me but I went on Transfermrkt and did it myself for free. Burned

From the gentleman that he is had Curtis had any input he would have credted him

Read between the lines
    Last edited by djking2; 01-09-2022 at 04:33 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Soteldo has to be gone in all scenarios. He is a nice player but was a totally botched signing. He never fit with Poz, let alone Poz and Insigne, or even just Insigne.

I would think there is a market for him in MLS, like Gilberto in Chicago. Miami is having a fire sale, they need to do something of some kind given the beating that fan base is taking, and there are a ton of Venezuelans in South Florida..
    Last edited by ensco; 01-09-2022 at 04:42 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta had interest in him pre-covid at twice what we paid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i doubt they trade yefe in the mls.what will they get 1 mil in tam ,gam.ship him to brazil for 2-3mil and take the loss or keep him until june and see what happens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is zero possibility Soteldo stay. I can’t think of any scenario where he stays. Even if they did have to pay for him to leave he’s still leaving.
    I actually think it’s more and more likely they mutually part ways with Jozy just so they can buy out Soteldo if needed. May as well give Jozy his 2022 salary and toss him a million to do a mutual part - rather he gets it than someone else

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 of the 2021 DP's has to go by the time Insigne gets here.

Either

a) you get rid of a DP through trade by then

or

b) you buy out a DP prior to the season starting

Not doing a before the beginning of the season & then not choosing to do b is a HUGE risk.

One way shape or form, one of the 2021 DP's is gone by the season starting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think jozy is the buy out and yefe is sold for a loss

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My grand theory of the universe, with the help of a large glass of red:

Nobody is bought out. I think Pozo is sold, Yefe is loaned, Belotti joins Insigne, Criscito is a TAM player. The $1M we got for Richie goes to Colorado for MAK. Oso may go on loan also.

Jozy is soooo much money, I think they will keep him, with the promise to Bob that when he goes eventually off the books, Bob will call the use of that last DP slot and he will then the U 22 slots to work his LAFC strategy with. But maybe not until 2023.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-09-2022 at 05:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm willing to bet anyone a beer at a TFC game (or a glass of red in Ensco's case) that there's no way Jozy is a DP with TFC next season. He is as good as gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Manning yesterday: “We have a number of irons in the fire. We think over these next few weeks there will be a number of other transactions such that leading up to opening day you’re going to have quite a different complexion of the team compared to what it was a year ago"

Anybody else see this statement, see that he never mentioned Poz at any point, and wonder if Poz is going? (Feel free to tell me I have an overactive imagination, but I would think he might say “we look forward to having Lorenzo play with the fully fit 2020 MVP”, if in fact that were happening.)
    The thought bubbled top of mind when Manning said the team would be built around Insigne for the next 4 years without any mention of Poz. IIRC the last time we heard something similar from Manning was to say the same of Poz. I too may be reading too much into it but I think there’s some smoke here

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    I'm willing to bet anyone a beer at a TFC game (or a glass of red in Ensco's case) that there's no way Jozy is a DP with TFC next season. He is as good as gone.
    No bet here. My theory is pretty out there. It's more in the category of a contrarian thought that has a 25% chance of happening, when everyone else says zero percent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    My grand theory of the universe, with the help of a large glass of red:

Nobody is bought out. I think Pozo is sold, Yefe is loaned, Belotti joins Insigne, Criscito is a TAM player. The $1M we got for Richie goes to Colorado for MAK. Oso may go on loan also.

Jozy is soooo much money, I think they will keep him, with the promise to Bob that when he goes eventually off the books, Bob will call the use of that last DP slot and he will then the U 22 slots to work his LAFC strategy with. But maybe not until 2023.
    Entirely possible. These boards will go mad though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    No doubt it’s harder to compete with a smaller budget. But as we’ve seen, the real test is for Bradley/Manning to round out a roster that compliments their new DP and actually win trophies. There’s a lot more pressure for success here than say SKC.

As we’ve seen with the Galaxy, if the DPS work well together you can win but if their individualistic (they may get tons of goals) but that doesn’t translate to success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Entirely possible. These boards will go mad though!
    Ensco you may be onto something with Jozy, he’s still out there liking all the moves, for what it’s worth.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning should let Poz’s contract run out unless he gets a great offer, and he remains a Red and plays here until then. Poz has publicly said he wants to be in Toronto, he was great with Piati and no striker, imagine him with Insigne. The other thing that is clear is that Manning has come out and publicly said Club World Cup is a goal…. That is not happening this year.

What i was saying earlier, by waiting for no transfer fee, in effect if they can fully buy out Jozy for $7 M or lose out on Soteldo, that is still cheap for Insigne. The goal has to be to qualify for Champions league in 2023. Winning this year would be exceptional, but playoffs are more important and qualification for 2023 critical.
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 01-09-2022 at 06:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love you guys, but there is zero chance or reason to bring Jozy back next year. I know, I know... He is a legend, but let him go. His body is not going to suddenly stay healthier into his age 32 season.

Anyways, looks like Soteldo is being settled. The broke boys will get their man.

Last edited by MikeForbes; 01-09-2022 at 06:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See ya Soteldo. Hardly knew ya

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Love you guys, but there is zero chance or reason to bring Jozy back next year. I know, I know... He is a legend, but let him go. His body is not going to suddenly stay healthier into his age 32 season.

Anyways, looks like Soteldo is being settled. The broke boys will get their man.

Yay, that’s great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See ya Soteldo. Hardly knew ya
    i still dont get whats going on here.are tfc getting any kind of a transfer fee?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i still dont get whats going on here.are tfc getting any kind of a transfer fee?
    Based on that tweet, it says we're selling 50% of his rights for $2.5M and we cover some bonus he was due (signing bonus?). There were a few other tweets that said it was a loan with an option to buy. Either way though, in the past 30 minutes there was a huge slew of tweets from South America saying it's pretty much done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on that tweet, it says we're selling 50% of his rights for $2.5M and we cover some bonus he was due (signing bonus?). There were a few other tweets that said it was a loan with an option to buy. Either way though, in the past 30 minutes there was a huge slew of tweets from South America saying it's pretty much done.
    k thx...so if we get 2.5 for him can we use that has gam?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    If that's accurate, we get $2.5M for a 50% stake in the player, so if he's sold in future we get 50% of the fee.

He goes on loan to Sao Paolo and we pick up 60-70% of his salary and pay off some future bonus he thinks he's owed.

Not sure if this can be accurate; don't MLS regs say that if you're paying a portion of salary they're still considered a DP on the books?