Page 185 of 191 FirstFirst ... 85135175181182183184185186187188189 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,550 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    Criscito plays some LB. Is that the plan here?
    According to footballcritic.com he has played CB only once in his last 50 matches. He's played LB 38 times and left-mid 11 times.

https://www.footballcritic.com/domen...positions/6608

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post
    According to footballcritic.com he has played CB only once in his last 50 matches. He's played LB 38 times and left-mid 11 times.

Interesting. Transfer market has him playing CB almost exclusively this season. Has anyone here actually watched any of his games this season and can confirm where he’s playing?

https://www.transfermarkt.us/domenic.../spieler/44136

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

almost exclusively cb this season? they have 5 of his 16 games at LB and 1 at LM

seems like he plays mostly at LB when they play a back 4 and mostly in the middle of the back 3 when its a back 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    almost exclusively cb this season? they have 5 of his 16 games at LB and 1 at LM

seems like he plays mostly at LB when they play a back 4 and mostly in the middle of the back 3 when its a back 3
    Sorry should have said mostly. I’m 2020/21 it was 18 at CB, 5 at LB/LM. Just a big difference between the other source.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post

My Italian friend who’s from basically the suburbs of Genoa (Hamilton ON) said he’s almost always a CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Italian friend who’s from basically the suburbs of Genoa (Hamilton ON) said he’s almost always a CB.
    Given the wonky data sources I'll defer to the eye witness. So, he's a CB.
    I was already with jloome - this would be a curious move as a LB, and we could actually use a left back right about now. But a 36 year old left-footed CB on a 2.5 year TAM deal? Hmmm.
    Genoa's getting relegated. Criscito has another year left on his contract. But if they're playing in Serie B, he's taking a significant pay cut. But even at a reduced wage, Genoa would probably be happy to get him off the books next year. So basically, Criscito is looking for a gig. The long arm of Andrea D'Amico extracting his quid pro quo? Or the savvy scouting of Bill Manning scoring an under the radar coup?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has to be a 3-5-2 doesn’t it? Or at least the option of playing 3-5-2 more often

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Has to be a 3-5-2 doesn’t it? Or at least the option of playing 3-5-2 more often
    LB when we play a back four and left or centre of the three when it’s a back five? Odd to sign a 35 year old for a high press but if he can handle it he might be nice to see. Jose Fonte still good at 38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure but how do you survive until July?
    I’d think you’d have to play the form you plan to play when Insigne arrives. If it’s 3-5-2 then we’re likely dead.

This is why I think that Criscito might be a LB. Training suggests there’s no sign of a 3-5-2 being developed and LB is a position of need. I’m not sure we have people for a back five either.

I just like to think about how the pieces fit before I buy into rumors. I get the Insigne connection but that’s a lot of money just to bring a friend and I don’t think they’d do that. If the plan isn’t LB I may start to think this is fake news. If it doesn’t fit you must acquit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teams play multiple formations in-game and throughout the season. 3-5-2 isn’t an entirely radical departure from some of things we are trying.

The midfield 3 of Bradley-Osorio-Poz would fit the formation. We’ve already seen Shaff on the Left and JMR on the right. Both those players strike me more as wide players in a 3-5-2 than true fullbacks.

And I guess the obvious one is in one of the pre-season clips with Bradley taking about the team he specifically mentions having the ability to go 3-5-2. That’s not to say they use it all the time but it’s clearly on his radar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure but how do you survive until July?
    I’d think you’d have to play the form you plan to play when Insigne arrives. If it’s 3-5-2 then we’re likely dead.

This is why I think that Criscito might be a LB. Training suggests there’s no sign of a 3-5-2 being developed and LB is a position of need. I’m not sure we have people for a back five either.

I just like to think about how the pieces fit before I buy into rumors. I get the Insigne connection but that’s a lot of money just to bring a friend and I don’t think they’d do that. If the plan isn’t LB I may start to think this is fake news. If it doesn’t fit you must acquit
    We haven’t seen 3-5-2 in the preseason but July is a long way off. Makes as much or more sense to play it (at times) as it does 4-3-3 at least until then. Especially if Akinola is back in March.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its clearly a 4-3-3 to start the season as that was the formation in at least the last three friendlies if not all of them...even the ten outfield players were the same except for the last minute change of marshall in the last one...just a question mark at keeper as bradley said himself

GK; Shaffelburg Mavinga Salcedo Marshall; Osorio Bradley Pozuelo; Nelson Jimenez Kerr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the balance of experience down the spine of that formation and youth on the wings where pace is needed. Still don’t understand how some can look at that formation and think we were better off last season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something tells me Priso & Okello will be starting more than people think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the Insigne connection but that’s a lot of money just to bring a friend and I don’t think they’d do that. If the plan isn’t LB I may start to think this is fake news. If it doesn’t fit you must acquit
    I'm leaning towards Manning very much doing that. I think they've told Criscito that at his age he's a backup or rotation player but they're going to compensate him well. The reason is that there's some sort of real estate purchase deal involved in this as well, as D'Amico mentioned the pair of them getting into real estate together in Toronto and having an opportunity there.

So Criscito coming along to keep Insigne from getting homesick was probably part of the package all along. I think to a far lesser degree he's employing the same logic with Kadin Chung and McNaughton. I don't think Chung really interests them as much as a guy who they think is sort of MLS ready but was overlooked, but if McNaughton isn't getting much playing time, they need someone familiar and friendly here to keep him from becoming unsettled.

It's an old strategy they used to use in the Premiership all the time, albeit mostly in the nineties. Bring in a star player but bring a fellow countrymen, as adapting to England after any Latin country as a home was quite difficult. They liked to buy in pairs.

Manning's theory is probably that as long as Criscito accepts a reduced role, we get a highly skilled roleplayer and backup and he gets a settled star player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'm leaning towards Manning very much doing that. I think they've told Criscito that at his age he's a backup or rotation player but they're going to compensate him well. The reason is that there's some sort of real estate purchase deal involved in this as well, as D'Amico mentioned the pair of them getting into real estate together in Toronto and having an opportunity there.
    Typical Toronto, always a real estate angle.

Great post. I agree McNaughton is probably the one they think they can convert and they are just taking a flyer on Chung.

There are a lot of prospects on the roster right now, it will be interesting to see who works out. My money is on Priso (although that’s not much of a prediction at this point), Petrasso, and Kerr. JMR gets sold before we see any real true brilliance. I’m sort of doubting Okello comes through. Although I never saw what Kaye offered either until he left and I am very much eating my hat on that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I am the least excited about JMR just because it feels like he is one and done here. We really need him to come good this season though if they are gonna rely on Chung to be his primary backup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Criscito coming along to keep Insigne from getting homesick was probably part of the package all along. I think to a far lesser degree he's employing the same logic with Kadin Chung and McNaughton. I don't think Chung really interests them as much as a guy who they think is sort of MLS ready but was overlooked, but if McNaughton isn't getting much playing time, they need someone familiar and friendly here to keep him from becoming unsettled.

It's an old strategy they used to use in the Premiership all the time, albeit mostly in the nineties. Bring in a star player but bring a fellow countrymen, as adapting to England after any Latin country as a home was quite difficult. They liked to buy in pairs.

Manning's theory is probably that as long as Criscito accepts a reduced role, we get a highly skilled roleplayer and backup and he gets a settled star player.
    Your post is pretty solid but I doubt they convinced Criscito to take a reduced role or sold him on a backup spot. I simply don’t see that part happening at all regardless of getting to roll with his bestie for some good money too. This is why I’m questioning if this rumor is real

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your post is pretty solid but I doubt they convinced Criscito to take a reduced role or sold him on a backup spot. I simply don’t see that part happening at all regardless of getting to roll with his bestie for some good money too. This is why I’m questioning if this rumor is real
    YOu could be right. They may also have made it nebulous to placate him, as in "we'll expect you to compete for a starting role" which is a standard line from a lot of managers who want to keep their options open. It sends all the right messages to him without actually committing to starting him regularly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I never saw what Kaye offered either until he left and I am very much eating my hat on that one.
    Lots of us are on that one. He showed plenty of passing and tackling talent when younger but the word was he was a hothead, which was sort of the word on Raheem as well. Our production line was a total shitshow back then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just went down 1-0 in the closed-door final friendly against SKC. They're in the 79th minute.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't bother with the MLS dudes preview

The MLS dudes are sooooo overly focused on Ayo Akinola that they completely underrate Jesus Jimeniz - they don't consider him a starter. That & they remain, as always, overly focused on last year results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of us are on that one. He showed plenty of passing and tackling talent when younger but the word was he was a hothead, which was sort of the word on Raheem as well. Our production line was a total shitshow back then.
    I feel like quite a few of the younger guys at this club have gotten poor reps or been labelled “hotheads” because they’ve demanded more from the club or put their development first

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I feel like quite a few of the younger guys at this club have gotten poor reps or been labelled “hotheads” because they’ve demanded more from the club or put their development first
    Given how many they've clearly missed the boat on, I suspect you're onto something there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

The MLS dudes are sooooo overly focused on Ayo Akinola that they completely underrate Jesus Jimeniz - they don't consider him a starter. That & they remain, as always, overly focused on last year results.
    I blame Matt Doyle on mlssoccer who has twice called him a "20-goal scorer" this off-season. I actually sort of rate his tactical opinion sometimes but at Ayo's current level of development that's delusional.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we drew 1-1 with KC, 89 min equalizer from Hugh Mbongue, who I believe is Ralph's younger brother? Any deets on him fellas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Bit of that for sure.

Jay Chapman and Jordan Hamilton we’re too polite to have successful careers in the league. The guys who made it from that generation had to be chippy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

It’s probably to some degree the overall league’s USA bias/reason for being (and we continue to have our big share of Americans in management and on the field). But at least Seltzer called Jimenez the #3 “under the radar signing”. The MLS website is a lot harder to find things than previously. If you don’t see them in a day or three, they seem to disappear. Haven’t seen the preview yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bit of that for sure.

Jay Chapman and Jordan Hamilton we’re too polite to have successful careers in the league. The guys who made it from that generation had to be chippy.
    Quite true. You don’t usually get anywhere in Europe unless you’re a “hothead” (or have some fire in you). MLS can/could be a sleepy league.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 02-19-2022 at 11:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we drew 1-1 with KC, 89 min equalizer from Hugh Mbongue, who I believe is Ralph's younger brother? Any deets on him fellas?
    Beezer had a little bit about him here: https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...in-89th-minute
    Also a little in here from Mike Munoz on Hugo from before last season: https://www.wakingthered.com/2021/5/...-a-new-outlook

Highly rated 17 year old, one to watch for the future.