Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I'm wondering if there are any sort of territorial rules in MLS like there are for other leagues? There is a fair bit of distance between the three cities and Texas is the second-most populated state in the US, but could MLS have already decided that two franchises is enough for the state?
    MLS is all about rivalries. No territorial rules except one for youth recruiting.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Ha ha! Or grooming consultant.

For those who debate the choice of Atlanta over San Antone(great track by White Cowbell, btw), consider this if you are Don Garber.

MLS already has Texas-based franchises in America's fifth largest market(Dallas) and 10th largest market(Houston). They could add another Texas franchise in the nation's 37th largest market(San Antone) or they could work with billionaire Arthur Blank, owner of the Atlanta Falcons, and move into a new, state of the art stadium in the heart of America's eighth-largest market in Atlanta, a keystone city for any southeast expansion and a huge corporate hub.

No flippin' brainer, IMHO.
    Atlanta city on its own actually isn't that big, population is only 443,000. If you count the metro area that covers a rather large distance of land, then yes it is 9th biggest. But according to stats San Antonio 1.3 million or counting by metro it is 25th largest, only 1 spot behind 24th biggest Portland. And still ahead of Columbus, Kansas and Salt Lake. And smaller teams have shown the league that they can sell out stadiums. Atlanta on the other hand has shown in some of there other sports that tickets can be hard to sell in the city of Atlanta and don't got the greatest attendance record. However does any of this mean Atlanta will or will not fail, no. Its hard to say really, and it is not surprising that MLS would at least try to go to the bigger cities, I mean more people should equal more fans. Makes sense. Things just don't always work out that way. I think a lot of people just don't think the South is the best market for a Soccer team. But who knows maybe they could surprise us all!
    Last edited by james; 04-12-2014 at 01:34 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nascarguy View Post
    so what two teams move in to the west table.
    Houston and KC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Atlanta city on its own actually isn't that big, population is only 443,000. If you count the metro area that covers a rather large distance of land, then yes it is 9th biggest. But according to stats San Antonio 1.3 million or counting by metro it is 25th largest, only 1 spot behind 24th biggest Portland. And still ahead of Columbus, Kansas and Salt Lake. And smaller teams have shown the league that they can sell out stadiums. Atlanta on the other hand has shown in some of there other sports that tickets can be hard to sell in the city of Atlanta and don't got the greatest attendance record. However does any of this mean Atlanta will or will not fail, no. Its hard to say really, and it is not surprising that MLS would at least try to go to the bigger cities, I mean more people should equal more fans. Makes sense. Things just don't always work out that way. I think a lot of people just don't think the South is the best market for a Soccer team. But who knows maybe they could surprise us all!
    They're not looking at the market for spectators. MLS is looking at TV markets and that all-important revenue stream that will mean greater profits/accelerated growth in the long term.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    They're not looking at the market for spectators. MLS is looking at TV markets and that all-important revenue stream that will mean greater profits/accelerated growth in the long term.
    That's what the NHL said too, except they forgot that just because hockey exists in key markets, doesn't mean anyone is interested in hockey in key markets. They are now left with multiple dead-weight teams because their zeal for a TV deal blinded them to the fact that they were expanding to places where interest in hockey is extremely limited. Their TV coverage is up and down, they are far from a ratings success south of the border. I'm not saying soccer necessarily faces the same challenges, but doing things for the sake of a TV deal, while ignoring underlying market conditions, is fool hardy.

Personally, I always thought NASCAR provided a better example. They were regional for a long time, but didn't give a shit because they had huge market penetration and draw to the point where they commanded interest elsewhere and demanded TV dollars. This should tell something to MLS. For a lot of people, their interest in this league is cursory. They couldn't tell you who is playing well, who the best players are, or what's happening around the league. They view their team in isolation, go watch for the live experience, and that's the extent of it. MLS is going to have to convert these people to more ardent fans if they are ever going to draw on TV. A lot of work needs to be done in this department.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone should ask Stephen Brunt if he thinks putting an MLS team in Atlanta is a good idea.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta? Really? How underwhelming.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    Atlanta? Really? How underwhelming.
    It makes sense. Atlanta is a huge TV market and really the last major market MLS isn't in or is about to enter. There is some evidence of D2 success with the Silverbacks, Blank is ridiculously wealthy and the new stadium is downtown with a secondary roof that lower for a more 'intense' atmosphere are soccer games. I've been following this for awhile and honestly I think this decision was likely made 3 years ago. We went from zero teams in the South East to three! That's pretty crazy.

Minnesota will be 24.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to wager that Atlanta as a franchise is "mid rate" at it's very best when it comes to support and revenue. I don't believe in that city's sporting support what so ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    Minnesota will be 24.
    Agreed. That will give MLS the upper Mid-West presence they are craving and they'll then be in 15 of the top 20 TV markets in the US. The question is: will they stop there? They could easily add another 3 teams, realign into three 9-team divisions, and still play a 34 game schedule.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I'm going to wager that Atlanta as a franchise is "mid rate" at it's very best when it comes to support and revenue. I don't believe in that city's sporting support what so ever.
    Can't argue with that. I see it being a run of the mill average supported team.

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Agreed. That will give MLS the upper Mid-West presence they are craving and they'll then be in 15 of the top 20 TV markets in the US. The question is: will they stop there? They could easily add another 3 teams, realign into three 9-team divisions, and still play a 34 game schedule.
    My guess is they stop at 24 for a few years in order to stabilize and switch their focus from new markets to solidifying the few that are in desperate need of a kick in the butt. Boston, DC and Chivas (the first) all need to be reworked and all need to stay in their respective cities. After a few years, it'll be very interesting to see what MLS does in terms of expanding. This is especially so if the league continues to grow in attendance, viewership and overall awareness. If it does continue to grow, its not crazy to think MLS will match other US leagues with 30-32 teams. If FIFA ever tried to get involved they can use the simple argument that the US/Canada is absolutely massive in terms of population and geography. My future MLS is two conferences of 15-18 teams but who really knows.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not just about population, though the rankings I referred to were ranking cities as TV markets, a crucial consideration for a league trying to gain greater national network exposure. Atlanta is also a massive corporate hub, and those are the types to buy up suites and premium seats.

But the biggest incentive is the big, comfy cushion formed by owner Arthur Blank's wallet. The team can struggle at the gate and he's got the reserves to keep them going but, just as importantly, he's likely to have the corporate connections to attract sponsorships. Not every sponsor's sign or ad placement is a result of love for the game or a team's demographics. Often it's one company exec scratching another's back to grease a deal somewhere else. Plus Blank can leverage deals that create exposure with his NFL Falcons. San Antonio is cutely appealing and may one day join the league, but for now, they can't touch what Blank is offering.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blargh. Letting a Wilf-led ownership group into MLS would be a shame. Hopefully the Twins/Minnesota Utd alternative option gets some attention.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a lot of people just don't think the South is the best market for a Soccer team. But who knows maybe they could surprise us all!
    But Atlanta already has a team in the NASL so they already have a core of fans to start with.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Presser now

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other then the Mayor is there anyone not white in that audience? It seems like they are marketing to 34% of the population.. and even then only the Hipster, craft beer drinking population. I'm even more convinced this is a bad location.
    Last edited by Kaz; 04-16-2014 at 05:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuk now its real?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Other then the Male is there anyone not white in that audience? It seems like they are marketing to 34% of the population.. and even then only the Hipster, craft beer drinking population. I'm even more convinced this is a bad location.
    seriously....why is it only white people in there? America can be an odd place

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto: All For One.

Atlanta: One For All.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eastern Conference is getting crowded with all these teams joining the league. I guess Houston and SKC are going to moved to western conference?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, a July/August game in Hotlanta is gonna be unbearably hot and humid. Oh yeah, Orlando too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It just got grimey!
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JamboAl View Post
    Man, a July/August game in Hotlanta is gonna be unbearably hot and humid. Oh yeah, Orlando too.
    apparently the stadium has air conditioning

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

about 1100 season ticket deposit, merely hours after announcement

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well one thing positive is that Atlanta plan to join the league in 2017, gives them years to get ready, and the stadium should be complete. NY is joining the league in 2015, and they don't got much time. And they will play in Yankee stadium for at least 3 years.....that has to be the worst place, its made for only baseball, the side views will be awful. I think they shouldn't let them start play until at least 2017 as well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This gave me a bit of a chuckle. Even if it did come from those piss-yellow cocksuckers in Columbus.

Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... oh .. oh oh oh... the next franchise will be in Phoenix right.. because they will try to go to all the failed NHL markets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phoenix is also a top-15 TV market, so I can see them also in the running. But I imagine that, despite what Garber says, Phoenix could be ChivasUSA's final destination. That would provide a decent spread of teams around the US.