Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 125_TFC View Post
    . We need to have someone in front of Guevara, who he can link up with up front. We are basically taking away one of Guevara's best attributes, his playmaking ability, with Danny up front. Why take away one of our biggest threats? We're basically taking away 50% of Amado's game at this point in time, making him a one dimensional player.

Dichio either needs to play next to a finisher, or simply, has to sit. If we are going to continue to play with a lone striker up front, and five players in the midfield, then Danny has no place in the formation. He is not the correct player to play as a lone striker in this formation.
    i agree and that is where most of my frustration comes from. you can see the potential for some great plays but they fizzle out because dichio is the only option and he is limited

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=Milton_Arab;14368]lol i knew that fact was gonna be brought up, but i was more emphasizing the fact that early in his career (which is why i mentioned 90s) he was a more prolific goal scorer. the norwegian motto was kick it long to flo to score, and it was quite effective, although hard on the eyes[/quote]

When? Early in his career? I hope we're not going to compare strike rates of a player who was up and coming in the Norwegian league with that of one who is on the downside of his in MLS. Even with Chelsea, Flo was still scoring less that 1 in 3. And the reason why I brought up the gpg ration is because you specifically said Flo had a great scoring rate, while Dichio didn't. That's not really the case.
    That was their motto? Hmmm, reminds me of a cretain team we cheer for here...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    Oh boy....it seems a lot of you are faulting Dichio for not having pace, but you cannot fault somebody for a god given talent...you can't teach pace. Dichio is doing the best with his own skillset, and has done a fucking brilliant job in his time here with that skillset, in his centre forward position. As far as "taking away of Guevara's abilities" goes, well Dichio has great football IQ, we see it all the time on the pitch and you can't take that away from him. Knowing where a teammate will pass is just as important as the teammate making that pass, something I think will be of equal or lesser value with another player...certainly less with Cunningham.
    Dude, you're digging yourself deeper and deeper.
    You're not even defending Dichio here.
    You took one thing I said, out of three. I'm saying Danny Dichio is not a striker, which is what we need up front. Not a CF as a lone striker, it doesn't work with this formation.

And bringing up his football IQ as a reason to keep him in front of Guevara, well. No.
    Read any post I've made about Danny, his football IQ does not make up for his shortcomings in other areas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=TFC Tifoso;14402]
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton_Arab View Post
    lol i knew that fact was gonna be brought up, but i was more emphasizing the fact that early in his career (which is why i mentioned 90s) he was a more prolific goal scorer. the norwegian motto was kick it long to flo to score, and it was quite effective, although hard on the eyes[/quote]

When? Early in his career? I hope we're not going to compare strike rates of a player who was up and coming in the Norwegian league with that of one who is on the downside of his in MLS. Even with Chelsea, Flo was still scoring less that 1 in 3. And the reason why I brought up the gpg ration is because you specifically said Flo had a great scoring rate, while Dichio didn't. That's not really the case.
    That was their motto? Hmmm, reminds me of a cretain team we cheer for here...
    ok, in this case i don't think i am doing a good job of trying to make my point. the point i was trying to make was to show what an effective goalscorer can do when playing in a 4-5-1 and in that eg i had i picked flo early in his career. i was not trying to compare a young flo to an old dichio as a means to criticize dichio. i just felt that flo and dichio are similar players and back then flo was playing in a virtually identical style, and i was trying to show that depsite the 4-5-1 it is possible to play that and have someone who can score goals. i am not really disputing the fact that dichio is the best we have at the moment, just trying to show that there can be ways to score more than 2 goals in 8 games despite playing 4-5-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneLoveOneEric View Post
    I still think he is shit. Sorry.
    He scored last night. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    The number of times we put a ball across the face of goal only to see Danny lumber forward 10 minutes late was embarrassing.
    Another striker is needed, pronto.
    There are 86,400 seconds in a day. 2/86400 you do the math. Dichio has scored 8 goals in 21 starts for TFC. How does this compare?
    Last edited by Torcida; 05-22-2008 at 12:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude, you're digging yourself deeper and deeper.
    You're not even defending Dichio here.
    You took one thing I said, out of three. I'm saying Danny Dichio is not a striker, which is what we need up front. Not a CF as a lone striker, it doesn't work with this formation.

And bringing up his football IQ as a reason to keep him in front of Guevara, well. No.
    Read any post I've made about Danny, his football IQ does not make up for his shortcomings in other areas.
    Actually, yes. You can have all the speed in the world, but if you don't even have the first clue as to where your midfielder will place the ball, its no good. I'd rather have a slower player who plays well with others (Dichio) then a speedster with no football sense.
    By the way....can you please give me an example of a striker you would like here (be reasonable).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, yes. You can have all the speed in the world, but if you don't even have the first clue as to where your midfielder will place the ball, its no good. I'd rather have a slower player who plays well with others (Dichio) then a speedster with no football sense.
    By the way....can you please give me an example of a striker you would like here (be reasonable).
    Which is exactly why Cunningham has looked useless this season. Noone would argue he lacks pace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Torcida_Toronto View Post
    There are 86,400 seconds in a day. 2/86400 you do the math. Dichio has scored 8 goals in 21 starts for TFC. How does this compare?

That is the thing while I understand were some of ant-Dichio sentiment comes from, and at the end of the day his strike rate is good. That is the bottom line for a striker. What is Lombardo's strike rate?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait are we talking about Dichio vs. Cunny here?
    Because that sounds like a description of Cunny lol

And I'm not saying that football IQ is not important. I'm saying that Danny's football IQ does not make him the type of player that we need to play his position.

And honestly, I haven't been thinking about possible strikers. It's tough to know who is really available from overseas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the whole DD discussion, while interesting, is ultimately pretty pointless. He's our best option in the formation we play (and, I think most people agree, our best forward)- which has taken us beyond our early expectations for this season. Carver has made it absolutely clear he's looking for a better forward- so until we land that forward, DD is the best we've got- end of story. For these reasons and more, let's just get past whatever his faults may be, get behind him and debate more reasonable points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joelakeshore View Post
    I think the whole DD discussion, while interesting, is ultimately pretty pointless. He's our best option in the formation we play (and, I think most people agree, our best forward)- which has taken us beyond our early expectations for this season. Carver has made it absolutely clear he's looking for a better forward- so until we land that forward, DD is the best we've got- end of story. For these reasons and more, let's just get past whatever his faults may be, get behind him and debate more reasonable points.
    Bang on.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't argue with that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spot on. While not the best forward in the world, he is by far the best we have right now and our hometown hero!

Wait are we talking about Dichio vs. Cunny here?
    Because that sounds like a description of Cunny lol

And I'm not saying that football IQ is not important. I'm saying that Danny's football IQ does not make him the type of player that we need to play his position.

And honestly, I haven't been thinking about possible strikers. It's tough to know who is really available from overseas.
    lol...no I was just comparing what we have at the moment. What do you mean by your second point? Because for me, I think that Dichio's IQ is what makes him great for our team. Having the foresight to know what is going to happen next is exactly what you need when playing with a skilled player like Guevara.

And for your last point, awww man you're disappointing me a little now ...how can you make a statement and not know an alternative to it. You say Dichio is not the man for our team, but offer no answer for him. Ya gotta have back up, man!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hate to jump on the band wagon but I agree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Hate to jump on the band wagon but I agree.
    me too. but this was the best debate i've been in for a while. what are we gonna debate now?? lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it is good to acctually talk footy, and with people who understand soccer, while they may disagree. It has been all to little of that on the board latley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'd much rather debate about current player situations then the majority of the bullshit that has been tossed around in the recent past.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spot on. While not the best forward in the world, he is by far the best we have right now and our hometown hero!

lol...no I was just comparing what we have at the moment. What do you mean by your second point? Because for me, I think that Dichio's IQ is what makes him great for our team. Having the foresight to know what is going to happen next is exactly what you need when playing with a skilled player like Guevara.

And for your last point, awww man you're disappointing me a little now ...how can you make a statement and not know an alternative to it. You say Dichio is not the man for our team, but offer no answer for him. Ya gotta have back up, man!
    Sorry man, I'm writing an essay right now. If I wasn't, I could probably think of some names. But I think I've made my point pretty clear already, if you think Danny Dichio is our saviour up front, then I think you're mistaken. I'm tired of restating why though, so maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree, because you seem to think he's fine for us until the end of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry man, I'm writing an essay right now. If I wasn't, I could probably think of some names. But I think I've made my point pretty clear already, if you think Danny Dichio is our saviour up front, then I think you're mistaken. I'm tired of restating why though, so maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree, because you seem to think he's fine for us until the end of the season.
    No, it's quite obvious you're not reading what I post. I said he's by far the best we have RIGHT NOW, meaninng currently on our roster at this moment....in the future, as in a month or two, or three, or yes even tomorrow (that's still the future, ya know?) a DP striker would be more than welcome by me and by many of us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=Milton_Arab;14421]

ok, in this case i don't think i am doing a good job of trying to make my point. the point i was trying to make was to show what an effective goalscorer can do when playing in a 4-5-1 and in that eg i had i picked flo early in his career. i was not trying to compare a young flo to an old dichio as a means to criticize dichio. i just felt that flo and dichio are similar players and back then flo was playing in a virtually identical style, and i was trying to show that depsite the 4-5-1 it is possible to play that and have someone who can score goals. i am not really disputing the fact that dichio is the best we have at the moment, just trying to show that there can be ways to score more than 2 goals in 8 games despite playing 4-5-1
    I hear ya, and agree that both Flo and Dichio are a similar player. Buuuut their similar strike rates show they may be a smaller gap between them in a 4-5-1 then previously though. You're right, 1 in 4 is not exceptional at all, but Dichio has shown he can be better than that. Say for instance, he scores a couple on Saturday, then all of a sudden 2 in 8 becomes 4 or 5 in 9, which is exceptional. How about we give the big man another month, then judge his strike rate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my 2 cents. DD is great with the gritty play, great at taking out the trash, but we would have beat the Bull Shits and the Crew if we had a more creative striker. Robert and Ricketts need a creative outlet. And Guevara can only play the give and go off Dichio so many times before it becomes obvious.

Dichio will always have a place on this team. So far all signs point to him starting his post-player career with TFC. And in tight chippy games, like last night, we need a guy who can push people around while dodging the cards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    I love this pic, he shows such great emotion, he is such a warrior, never gives up and fights to the finish.

Why does it look like Dichio is about to get his balls grabbed by Ricketts?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stugautz View Post
    Why does it look like Dichio is about to get his balls grabbed by Ricketts?
    i was also thinking the same thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that was the best all around play from Dichio I have seen since he has been at TFC. And good for him . I still think he is better as a substitute.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring back the Fast and the Furious! At least for one game!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. Imagine if we lost this one 4-0. Milton Arab while I see some of your points I would still like to tell you to GFY. Shaugno same for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corcai View Post
    Wow. Imagine if we lost this one 4-0. Milton Arab while I see some of your points I would still like to tell you to GFY. Shaugno same for you.
    lol ok cool guy. everyone watch out for cyberwarrior here. why don't you try raising some points to back up your thoughts? or is it just easier to be a tough guy? all you've done is again back up my believe that dichio nuthuggers have no points to back up their nuthugging, which is why they resort to insults as they lack the intelligence to properly understand the game.
    Last edited by Milton_Arab; 05-23-2008 at 11:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could we use the 4-4-1-1 formation with Guevara playing striker behind Dichio?

I checked online for an explanation and found this one on BBC's website
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...nt/4197708.stm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milton_Arab View Post
    lol ok cool guy. everyone watch out for cyberwarrior here. why don't you try raising some points to back up your thoughts? or is it just easier to be a tough guy? all you've done is again back up my believe that dichio nuthuggers have no points to back up their nuthugging, which is why they resort to insults as they lack the intelligence to properly understand the game.
    Damnit I got shit all day from my boss yesterday going back and forth with you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    I think that was the best all around play from Dichio I have seen since he has been at TFC. And good for him . I still think he is better as a substitute.
    so who would you rather start?