Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Offer Kroenke 20 bucks to take Robin Fraser back.
    I was thinking this as well. After they got over their rona, Colorado looked better than I expected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    my fear is that Curtis is making calls.....
    lol

but he really hasn't been THAT bad since arriving.

Let's just hope the team doesn't regress ..... It would be a shame after the work of the last 5 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    could Vanney be eyeing Europe, or Mexico?
    I thought maybe France? He has history there and it would be an adventure. But COVID makes that unlikely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney was the best manager in club history bar none. I am sorry to see him go.

The winds of change are on the horizon, but this club has had a remarkable run under Vanney's tutelage. I wish him well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I thought maybe France? He has history there and it would be an adventure. But COVID makes that unlikely.
    Reliable US MLS sources saying Galaxy deal already agreed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn’t a move to another MLS team conflict with Vanney’s statements relating to a desire for new challenges etc? What more could he achieve in MLS?
    A Vanney comment just came up on how he liked to build things and his building with TFC is done and the team is set in a good direction.

If you like to rebuild disasters, the Galaxy is as messy as they come but they actually invest money.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    A Vanney comment just came up on how he liked to build things and his building with TFC is done and the team is set in a good direction.

If you like to rebuild disasters, the Galaxy is as messy as they come but they actually invest money.
    I suppose. But that is still MLS, a league viewed around the world as a third tier feeder league. And, if Vanney has any market value, it is now, not after a year or two rebuilding another MLS club. LA may offer him more $, but I could see him coveting an assistant coaching job in the EPL, for eg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose. But that is still MLS, a league viewed around the world as a third tier feeder league. And, if Vanney has any market value, it is now, not after a year or two rebuilding another MLS club. LA may offer him more $, but I could see him coveting an assistant coaching job in the EPL, for eg
    I believe his endgame is the USMNT. He isn't interested in lugging his family all over the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe his endgame is the USMNT. He isn't interested in lugging his family all over the world.
    You might be right, but he does have history taking coaching licenses (and playing) abroad. What would he give to be an assistant at Man City for Example? Or a manager in League 1? I wonder. But LA might well be the destination

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well DAMN that sucks! Probably no surprise, but still...

A toast to the best head coach TFC has ever had! BAR NONE!!!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    My deepest fear now is that they will hire Caldwell and we will only start Liam Fraser at every position.
    That was awesome....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess we knew this day was coming at some point but not really ready for it.
    Without Bez and Vanney steering the ship, I am more than a little unconfident that we have the proper personnel in place moving forward.
    Let's hope Ali Curtis can get the job done because so many MLS clubs struggle to find a proper coach and just never seem to be able to excel in this league (ie Vancouver).

Thank you for the memories coach.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Greg Vanney managed this team to four finals, and we were the best team every time.

Vanney's accomplishment in Mexico in March and April 2018 may well be the greatest managing performance in MLS history. We had Ashtone Morgan starting, Nico Hasler playing serious minutes, Hamilton as the striker sub, Bradley at CB, Altidore playing hurt ... it's completely beyond belief, crazy, what he accomplished there.

(Also 2020 is a joke and should be discarded in any evaluation of anybody. But he obviously did a pretty decent job of handling a group that lived in hotels for five months.)

I thought he should have been the USMNT coach, and probably will be, yet.

I predict he will also be back here someday. See you down the road, Greg.

Nice to see you back, dont get me wrong I had a love/hate with Vanney. He had all of those accomplishments but he was also given a ton of assets. My larger concern is Manning and now Ali are a massive step down from Leiweke / Bez. I think our prospects/academy is better but I agree with others, the jury is massively out on Ali that he can do anything with the high end DP/TAM category.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I was thinking this as well. After they got over their rona, Colorado looked better than I expected.
    I wouldn't link or consider Fraser for the gig. He took the Colorado job as kids live there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have to admit, it really sucks to hear that he stepped down, and I will definitely miss him.

Thanks for all the memories Greg. All the best in your future, except when it's against TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh shit.

Kristian Jack is reporting Vanney was ready to sign another deal and terms had been arranged.
    Latest from Kristian Jack.

Is he suggesting we let go a coach who had three finals in six years? Please fucking tell me that's not the case. If it is, Curtis should resign. The staggering incompetence such a decision would take is unfathomable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Oh shit.

Kristian Jack is reporting Vanney was ready to sign another deal and terms had been arranged. Latest from Kristian Jack.

Is he suggesting we let go a coach who had three finals in six years? Please fucking tell me that's not the case. If it is, Curtis should resign. The staggering incompetence such a decision would take is unfathomable.
    That's not what it means. It means not mutual because we wanted him back and he didn't want to re-sign.

It's all due to family, challenges, and the Galaxy gig. That's it. No sinister misdoings or all the usual TFC PTSD speculation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Nice to see you back, dont get me wrong I had a love/hate with Vanney. He had all of those accomplishments but he was also given a ton of assets. My larger concern is Manning and now Ali are a massive step down from Leiweke / Bez. I think our prospects/academy is better but I agree with others, the jury is massively out on Ali that he can do anything with the high end DP/TAM category.

This is how I feel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Oh shit.

Kristian Jack is reporting Vanney was ready to sign another deal and terms had been arranged. Latest from Kristian Jack.

I think it is the other way around. It is evidence of a lack of foresight and competence between Curtis and Manning - should have been signed when terms agreed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I think it is the other way around. It is evidence of a lack of foresight and competence between Curtis and Manning - should have been signed when terms agreed.
    You mean Ali Curtis had a deal to close and it dragged out and died? That’s crazy, never heard that one before.

All kidding aside they may have known it was over some time ago but kept it quiet in the name of team unity. But at face value I agree, you don’t just leave that open for 6 months. That’s basically protecting Vanney’s downside while offering you little on the other side of the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to miss Vanney. He had his faults, but he was a good coach in MLS and got the first Treble in History.

If we're seeing what top-quality coach we could lure here, I don't think MLS is high enough on any euro-coaches radar unless they're desperate. Speaking of - Maybe David Wagner, recently of Schalke, could fit the bill as he has top 5 league experience, is a German-American former international, Schalke is already eating part of his contract, and he's probably looking to rehabilitate his image.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's not what it means. It means not mutual because we wanted him back and he didn't want to re-sign.

It's all due to family, challenges, and the Galaxy gig. That's it. No sinister misdoings or all the usual TFC PTSD speculation.
    That's my take on it too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna start a rumor about Rafa Benitez.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh...crap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How bout we look at signing at Poch lol, dont know who we will sign but thank you Vanney for everything you have done for the club

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Greg Vanney the first manager in TFC history who left on his own terms?

I started following the club in ~2010 and I think all the managers since that time (other than Vanney) were sacked - Preki, Winter, Mariner, Nelsen

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanO View Post
    Is Greg Vanney the first manager in TFC history who left on his own terms?

I started following the club in ~2010 and I think all the managers since that time (other than Vanney) were sacked - Preki, Winter, Mariner, Nelsen
    John Carver resigned.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. It makes sense alround.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for weird message! I wanted to say that I agree that Michael Bradley will, and should, take over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    John Carver resigned.
    I’m not clear if Chris Cummings would have come back either. He sounded like was ready to tell mojo and company where they could stuff it if they even asked.