Page 157 of 191 FirstFirst ... 57107147153154155156157158159160161167 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,710 of 5725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Genk fans have said that's a trusted source for info on their club.
    And if Buffery got the info on the meeting then there is no reason the Genk equivalent journo/outlet wouldn't get similar info.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    Interesting that this came out first from the Genk side!
    It's the rule now it seems.

There hasn’t been a single element of the VV, Seba or Pozo sagas that came from any Toronto journalist. All they have had was disinformation (denials of the obvious from sources at the club).

There are some very good journalists on the beat (especially John Molinaro and Neil Davidson, for me). I hope some of them are thinking hard about this.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It's the rule now it seems.

There hasn’t been a single element of the VV, Seba or Pozo sagas that came from any Toronto journalist. All they have had was disinformation (denials of the obvious from sources at the club).

There are some very good journalists on the beat (especially John Molinaro and Neil Davidson, for me). I hope some of them are thinking hard about this.
    Buffery at the Sun was the first with the NYC meeting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Ahh. Credit where credit is due.

I need to follow him.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need to follow him.
    You're bang on for the most part. When the Seba shit started going down the Sun saw there was a big story there and sent Buffery down to Cali for the camp. He's been surprisingly good ever since.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    https://m.hln.be/sport/voetbal/belgi...aten~a30ae32b/

Ali Curtis over the weekend proposed to Genk technical director about us purchasing Poz and them keeping him for a month until the end of their regular season which is March 18. Waiting for a response to the offer....
    Interesting comments under that article.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We look quite villainous don't we trying to steal a player during their championship run, and of course the player is going to jump on the money(short career, nothing is ever certain).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    We look quite villainous don't we trying to steal a player during their championship run, and of course the player is going to jump on the money(short career, nothing is ever certain).
    Yeah, we're basically Al-Hilal north, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orlando officially signs Nani as a DP. Now they have 4 DPs

Nani's arrival in Orlando makes for four DPs on the clubs’ books, alongside Josue Colman, Dom Dwyer and Sacha Kljestan. One of those incumbents will likely have to be “bought down” with Targeted Allocation Money in order to remove their DP tag.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/02/18/official-orlando-city-sign-portuguese-star-nani-designated-player-deal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am hoping a Bradley extension is part of the package of announcements that we all think is coming.

I think he can be extended as a TAM player (ie 1.5M a year for 3 years type deal) and I hope he finds that acceptable.
    I am (was in the case of Seba) in favour of "overpaying" Seba, Bradley and Altidore. With the first two, there is an issue of age and the club needs to be careful with length of contract, and with Jozy fragility is an issue, but I will pay to go see them play even if they are declining. With Seba in particular, given that he is the face of this club, paying more than an equivalent skilled player is not, in my view, overpaying. He puts people in the seats. Poz looks great but he wont be putting people in the seats for a while. The same, to a lesser degree, is true for Bradley and Altidore, and as shown by his exemplary behaviour in these transfer sagas, Bradley's leadership has a very real benefit to the club. These players are worth more to us than they are on the market and I hope the club recognizes that.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 02-18-2019 at 02:16 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I agree with you, in the cases of Altidore and Bradley. I agree with the decision to cut Seba loose rather than pay him $7M a year for 202 onwards.

I think $1.5M is overpaying Bradley but I would do it.

I would extend Altidore for 2-3 years at his existing $5M. If he doesn't take it I move him to Mexico or wherever now. I love the guy but we have OD'ed on drama this year.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-18-2019 at 12:27 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pozo update. No news but sounds like psychology is shifting towards the inevitable. The March arrival date looks more likely than the May date, at least according to this one reporter.

http://www.voetbalnieuws.be/news/385...pozuelo-al-weg

At KRC Genk they continue to search feverishly for a solution to the issue of Alejandro Pozuelo, who wants to leave for Toronto FC. The people from Limburg hope to find a solution where the Spaniard will certainly end the season in Genk, but that could well be a hopeless battle.

"From the moment that Pozuelo has made the choice to leave, he is already gone in his head," says RTBF journalist Pascal Scime. "Then the question is whether Genk should continue to draw it up, should not a B plan be sought?"

It is striking that the players do not seem to blame their captain. "The group stands behind Pozuelo, the players worship him 90 percent of the locker room would react the same way as Pozuelo if they had received such an offer, they know that, and that's why they do not blame Pozuelo."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

I need to follow him.
    In fairness, Buffery had to edit his tweet to include the fact that the meeting in NYC was first reported by an outlet in Belgium so I would say Ensco's original point about our journos stands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I agree with you, in the cases of Altidore and Bradley. I agree with the decision to cut Seba loose rather than pay him $7M a year for 202 onwards.

I think $1.5M is overpaying Bradley but I would do it.

I would extend Altidore for 2-3 years at his existing $5M. If he doesn't take it I move him to Mexico or wherever now. I love the guy but we have OD'ed on drama this year.
    Fair. WithSeba, I think extending the option at option price conditional on settling the rest at a more reasonable price would have been appropriate. But too late !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.lesoir.be/207388/article...hase-classique

Another source saying that TFC are good to pay the release and get the player in March despite Genk wanting him until May.

Btw I think this puts the bed the "this is a mess" and we're the big bad wolf theories. The latest round of reports make it quite clear that TFC feels it is working within "the rules" the acquire the player. Further, while everyone was focused of TFC v Genk the players wants were being forgotten. I alluded to this earlier in the thread that there was no solution that was ever going to satisfy all 3 parties.
    Last edited by Smokecell; 02-18-2019 at 01:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    https://m.hln.be/sport/voetbal/belgi...aten~a30ae32b/

Ali Curtis over the weekend proposed to Genk technical director about us purchasing Poz and them keeping him for a month until the end of their regular season which is March 18. Waiting for a response to the offer....
    That’s kind of a shit date for TFC. That means he won’t be here until after 2 MLS matches, and AFTER the quarters of the champions league, basically meaning we are giving up on the competition. For Genk, he would stay there until the end of the regular season, and could play in both round 16 legs in the Europa league if they move on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post

Another source saying that TFC are good to pay the release and get the player in March despite Genk wanting him until May.

Btw I think this puts the bed the "this is a mess" and we're the big bad wolf theories. The latest round of reports make it quite clear that TFC feels it is working within "the rules" the acquire the player. Further, while everyone was focused of TFC v Genk the players wants were being forgotten. I alluded to this earlier in the thread that there was no solution that was ever going to satisfy all 3 parties.
    Thank goodness! That was ridiculous to begin with, now lets get our guy and move on to some TAM targets.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Btw I think this puts the bed the "this is a mess" and we're the big bad wolf theories.
    Where is that even addressed in that story?

This take is too funny.

You want to articulate a theory as to why the clause wasn’t triggered two weeks ago? I mean, if TFC can just do this and it's all clear and above board, and we can just trigger the clause and screw Genk... what is the hold up?
    Last edited by ensco; 02-18-2019 at 01:26 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So onto to who other matters, who will be the third GK? It has been mentioned they would be signing one and as we know at least three have been trial, getting action in the pre-season. Will be interesting to see who they settle on?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I am (was in tghe case of Seba) in favour of "overpaying" Seba, Bradley and Altidore. With the first two, there is an issue of age and the club needs to be careful with length of contract, and with Jozy fragility is an issue, but I will pay to go see them play even if they are declining. With Seba in particular, given that he is the face of this club, paying more than an equivalent skilled player is not, in my view, overpaying. He puts people in the seats. Poz looks great but he wont be putting people in the seats for a while. The same, to a lesser degree, is true for Bradley and Altidore, and as shown by his exemplary behaviour in these transfer sagas, Bradley's leadership has a very real benefit to the club. These players are worth more to us than they are on the market and I hope the club recognizes that.
    We were told to stop whining about Seba, but this, in a nutshell, sums up the entire debacle. Half empty BMO, and a losing club, is my prediction. This Poz player could score 20 goals, but no Italian-Canadian will give a shit. They came to see Seba.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    We were told to stop whining about Seba, but this, in a nutshell, sums up the entire debacle. Half empty BMO, and a losing club, is my prediction. This Poz player could score 20 goals, but no Italian-Canadian will give a shit. They came to see Seba.
    If that's the case, then it says more about that particular segment of the fan base than it does about ownership.

To true supporters of the club, the badge and the on field product should be the only things that matter, not the nationalities of our DPs.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 02-18-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is that even addressed in that story?

This take is too funny.

You want to articulate a theory as to why the clause wasn’t triggered two weeks ago? I mean, if TFC can just do this and it's all clear and above board, and we can just trigger the clause and screw Genk... what is the hold up?
    I wouldn't call it funny at all. Your original "this is a mess" remark was based off your theory (presumably, since I haven't seen anything in print) suggesting that Manning was going back to the MLSE board with his tail between his legs having to ask for more money for the same player. This article clearly states TFC is happy to pay the release clause, not TFC is happy to pay the release clause plus an additional $XM to make this all go away.

The hold up is clearly this jumbled interpretation of what Pozuelo has "contractually" (and I purposely put this is quotes) obligated himself to, or not. I don't care to speculate on that because frankly we're fighting against rough translations, potential fluff and bluff in the media etc. I rather just let it play out and get finite clarity if at all possible once the dust settles.

I will say that you do contribute an interesting view of how the higher levels of business operate and I find this genuinely interesting and I do appreciate the point of view that few of us on this board have real exposure to. I just tend to think the matter of fact approach you take when analyzing MLSE can get you into trouble on this board, unless as some have suggested, you truly do have an inside track there.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ensco can correct this, but I believe he had some links with Anselmi under the old guard when Teachers owned MLSE (and he wrote some absolutely brilliant satire on Anselmi's way of looking at things). I don't think he has any links to current management.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In fairness, Buffery had to edit his tweet to include the fact that the meeting in NYC was first reported by an outlet in Belgium so I would say Ensco's original point about our journos stands.
    I didn't see his tweets. I was going off the article that was posted on the Sun site Friday night. Havent seen any edits since but fair dues.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't call it funny at all. Your original "this is a mess" remark was based off your theory (presumably, since I haven't seen anything in print) suggesting that Manning was going back to the MLSE board with his tail between his legs having to ask for more money for the same player. This article clearly states TFC is happy to pay the release clause, not TFC is happy to pay the release clause plus an additional $XM to make this all go away.

The hold up is clearly this jumbled interpretation of what Pozuelo has "contractually" (and I purposely put this is quotes) obligated himself to, or not. I don't care to speculate on that because frankly we're fighting against rough translations, potential fluff and bluff in the media etc. I rather just let it play out and get finite clarity if at all possible once the dust settles.

I will say that you do contribute an interesting view of how the higher levels of business operate and I find this genuinely interesting and I do appreciate the point of view that few of us on this board of have real exposure to. I just tend to think the matter of fact approach you take when analyzing MLSE can get you into trouble on this board, unless as some have suggested, you truly do have an inside track there.
    I appreciate your thoughtful tone and what you are saying about uncertainty of what we can know here.

I do think Manning has egg on his face, because he doesn't have the player, and I find the fact that the price hasn't risen to maybe be confirmation of my theory (because Manning ain't going back to his bosses, it's 8M euros, and it's maybe easier for Manning to wait for Pozo until summer and tank TFC's season, than to go back to the bosses and get the extra couple of million it might take to get this done fast. All pure speculation on my part).

I do think the story overall reflects poorly on the league and team (more on the league). Tanenbaum is a sportman, sees himself as a gentleman, we really shouldn't have surfaced without understanding Genk's position. I think Tanenbaum cares about this kind of tonal issue way more than your average supporter does. I know that for a fact.

(As to whether I have actual insight on the board of MLSE, the answer is I never do anymore. I used to have a bit under prior ownership, a long time ago. I have zero insight. I claim no authority so feel free to go after my views! For all I know, Manning is getting high fives from everyone at MLSE for moving that primadona Giovinco, and the rest is trivia.)

I hear you re "matter of fact" tone. I tend to do that when people are arguing things that just defy business logic. Gotta stop trying to convince or get the last word sometimes. Will be more explicit about implying anything.

I truly know nothing (ex the above re Tanenbaum, and I have a lot of experience with Boards and the alpha dog social dynamics around them, which underpins my view about how this might play up top)
    Last edited by ensco; 02-18-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather have Pozuelo late than Hanni now. Regardless the club clearly had no idea of the contractual situation of the player they were set on. And that makes them look nothing short of sloppy and poorly organized to me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Regardless the club clearly had no idea of the contractual situation of the player they were set on. And that makes them look nothing short of sloppy and poorly organized to me.
    Thank you for boiling this down to one or two sentences.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    ensco can correct this, but I believe he had some links with Anselmi under the old guard when Teachers owned MLSE (and he wrote some absolutely brilliant satire on Anselmi's way of looking at things). I don't think he has any links to current management.
    Correct. I didn't know Anselmi at all btw, though he once "invited" me to lunch. He still owes me that lunch...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what pisses me off. How have none of our beat reporters not asked or dug for information on why TFC’s management was in Monterey for? Like not one peep. And that was 4 days ago. And the only reason we know that is because of Mexican beat reporters. Unbelievable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    This is what pisses me off. How have none of our beat reporters not asked or dug for information on why TFC’s management was in Monterey for? Like not one peep. And that was 4 days ago. And the only reason we know that is because of Mexican beat reporters. Unbelievable
    I'm getting more info from Ensco then toronto fc beat reporters