• Time to Leave

5 8.62%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Greg Vanney Support Poll

I asked this question last year but would like to see where us supporters sit on backing of Greg Vanney after this tough year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    I asked this question last year but would like to see where us supporters sit on backing of Greg Vanney after this tough year
    I don't blame him for the early playoff elimination. Injuries and bad roster construction were the main culprits this season. Having said that if he left I wouldn't be that upset either. It may be time for a different voice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has earned the right to decide whether to come back or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tbh- since the last game of the season - pulling endoh for altidore changed the pace and control of that game -combined that altidore started yesterday and endoh(his energy) was needed.

The fact he outsmarted himself and didnt play auro on the left and ricthie on the right- and that formation change the last 20 minutes killed - was ugly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our biggest problem was very poor decisions made around the roster. Re-signing Jozy was woefully poor judgement, Piatti very questionable, and other decisions leaving us with an expensive/bloated but not all that impressive roster. If Vanney didn't have a hand in these decisions than he isn't the problem

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Our biggest problem was very poor decisions made around the roster. Re-signing Jozy was woefully poor judgement, Piatti very questionable, and other decisions leaving us with an expensive/bloated but not all that impressive roster. If Vanney didn't have a hand in these decisions than he isn't the problem
    The roster was fine for the past few years and we benefited from the positives of continuity but that time is over. Time to refresh the roster.

The Jozy contract was 100% based on PR after Giovinco leaving and was a bad move. No way around that one. Piatti is a question because we were better with him on the pitch and it was his first (weird) season and sometimes it takes a season to get your feet wet in MLS. However, blowing what was then a TAM roster spot and the money that goes with it on Gallardo is probably the biggest waste. Having a different TAM level player that could actually make the starting XI or at least feature off the bench consistently might have been a game changer. Instead all that was wasted because Gallardo is a "nice guy" and other players like him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I support Vanney. There are things I would like to see him do differently but we could certainly do a lot worse.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#vanneyout

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think curtis should be on the hot seat,no winger no back up striker,let vanney pick his own players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as Vanney wants to be back, he should be brought back. There's perhaps been tactical decisions that in hindsight he would do differently, but he's earned the right to come back and the positives far out weigh any of his negatives.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he deserves a crack with Curtis to revitilize the roster.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney should be the head coach of this team until he decides he doesn't want to be anymore. I assume someday he will become the USMNT coach.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I support Vanney. There are things I would like to see him do differently but we could certainly do a lot worse.

This

Not sold on Ali Curtis

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    This

Not sold on Ali Curtis

Why's that? I thought the players brought in or helped sign during his time here were decent.

- Omar
    - Piatti
    - Pozuelo
    - Laryea
    - Westburg
    - Achara
    - Gallacher

He's been an advocate for developing players from within - we've seen a lot of young talent get minutes this year.

His biggest bust has been Gallardo. But aside from that - what else don't you like about him?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Team crying out for speed & width as well as young CBs - gets none.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I would say our most important signings often reek of trying not to get it wrong rather than trying to get it 100% right.

We always seem to leave ourselves an out. The contact terms are flexible (Piatti, Benezet), player is familiar with MLS (Gonzalez or extensions for Altidore / Bradley), or financial commitments are minimal (Gallardo). If it goes wrong we can get out easy or point to it being unforeseeable an MLS experienced player is now bad (look at their past history!). The problem is you’re never going to get a star playing it that safe.

It’s like we say we want a Mercedes but because we “can’t quite find the right one” we drive a Ford, then a Mazda, and then a Toyota. Well, in the end, if you can’t make up your mind, what you’re choosing to do is drive a regular car rather than a luxury one.

That’s exactly what we have done in the FW spot for years, and we’re worse off for it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Team crying out for speed & width as well as young CBs - gets none.
    No cap space because of some bad contracts and a fear to cut certain players and upset the dressing room is to blame for a lot of that. Speaking of that, Gallardo was supposed to supply that width we needed but obviously wansn't up to it. I'm not hanging that on Curtis either as he was new and they said when we signed him that they'd been tracking him for some time.

As for young CBs, they cost a lot of money and when you're dropping over $1M (amortized) on a bench guy who rarely leaves the bench then that's what happens. Hopefully that gets sorted and that money plus Omar's money can be used to refresh the back line for 2021.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Vanney should be the head coach of this team until he decides he doesn't want to be anymore. I assume someday he will become the USMNT coach.
    I don't think the USMNT job is all that. For the most part you play a handful of matches each year, and the fact of the matter is the U.S. is not producing high end talent. For an elite coach a gig in one of the top 5 leagues in Europe would be more desirable and probably pay better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one thing that makes it difficult to assess Vanney is that no one knows how we would have fared with a different coach. During Vanney's tenure here he has had the privilege of coaching stars like MB, Jozy, Seba, VV and now Poz. He has had success, like in 2017, but there have also been failures, like losses in 3 of 4 Cup/CCL finals and the lousy 2018 season. If Bruce Arena were coach instead would we have won more? No one knows. As far as I am concerned the jury is still out on Vanney until we see how he does with just an average roster. You could argue that this year was the weakest roster he had to work with since he was here and in my view 2020 has not been a success, based on our mediocre play throughout the season and our early play-off elimination. Remember we also only made the Voyageur's Cup because Montreal blew their last game against Vancouver. I am not anti Vanney by any means but I don't view him as a Messiah either.
    Last edited by NK Toronto; 11-25-2020 at 07:55 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    The one thing that makes it difficult to assess Vanney is that no one knows how we would have fared with a different coach. ..
    Watch other MLS teams after awhile & you see the difference.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think the USMNT job is all that. For the most part you play a handful of matches each year, and the fact of the matter is the U.S. is not producing high end talent. For an elite coach a gig in one of the top 5 leagues in Europe would be more desirable and probably pay better.
    The USMNT is seeing some real talent playing on the world stage now after some down years, moving forward this job will be attractive again especially heading towards 2022 and obviously 2026 on home soil.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch other MLS teams after awhile & you see the difference.
    Brian Schmetzer has won more cups and with arguably less talent. Not saying that he is a better coach but other than 2017 Vanney has won nothing. This is a results oriented business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    The USMNT is seeing some real talent playing on the world stage now after some down years, moving forward this job will be attractive again especially heading towards 2022 and obviously 2026 on home soil.

Top coaches coach at the club level, not national teams, unless its France, Germany or someone similar. No internationally respected manager is going to coach the USMNT.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brian Schmetzer has won more cups and with arguably less talent. Not saying that he is a better coach but other than 2017 Vanney has won nothing. This is a results oriented business.

Schmetzer is a very good underrated coach.

Regardless, we don't get the results this year with a Tab Ramos type, which is the level you can expect if Vanney were to leave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post

They overhype the shit out of their player pool constantly. Chris Richards is a Bayern II player in all but name. I don’t see them becoming as big as they think they’ll be anytime soon.

I’d like to see Vanney stay, but I fear he’s had a hand in a lot of the erroneous signings and poor management of the roster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schmetzer is a very good underrated coach.

Regardless, we don't get the results this year with a Tab Ramos type, which is the level you can expect if Vanney were to leave.
    Why do you assume we wouldn't get a good coach if Vanney were to leave? TFC is one of the big budget MLS clubs which would would make the head coach job attractive. It would depend on how much they would offer in salary.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you assume we wouldn't get a good coach if Vanney were to leave? TFC is one of the big budget MLS clubs which would would make the head coach job attractive. It would depend on how much they would offer in salary.
    Maybe because we had the same big budget but never had a coach of his caliber before him. So it's wishful thinking.

Other big-budget team (LAG, NYRB, NYFC) have had their struggles in the coaching department. Money does not guarantee success in any league, but especially in MLS.

I didn't want Vanney when he came, I wanted Kreis. I'm very happy to admit I was wrong. Others will never change their minds.

Vanney could win the next 5 MLS Cups and there would still be people saying #vanneyout . That's the great thing about this game, everyone has a different perspective.

There will be a time for him to leave (probably to take charge of the USMNT), I'll trust our brain-trust to know when that time comes.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he's as likely to take over the CanMNT for 2026.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found it curious that his contract wasn’t signed earlier this season. I wonder if he doesn’t have an offer. France? He has connections and experience there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Maybe because we had the same big budget but never had a coach of his caliber before him. So it's wishful thinking.

Other big-budget team (LAG, NYRB, NYFC) have had their struggles in the coaching department. Money does not guarantee success in any league, but especially in MLS.
    I would have to agree, getting a good coach in this league can be tricky but there are examples for doing it right... Portland and Seattle successfully changed managers. LAFC hit the ground running with Bradley fairly well. It’s not quite as tricky as it once was but still something to be careful doing.

Notwithstanding that, I’d prefer Vanney stay.