Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boyd is not a replacement for Giovinco I know guys on here are being sarcastic. Boyd is Ricketts replacement and so far Boyd is nothing close to what Ricketts was for TFC. A nice Ricketts replacement would have been a guy like local Canadian player Simeon Jackson who has had a decent career in the UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    I agree hes absolutely awful and I saw better strikers in the CPL game yesterday. Hopefully hes on a one year deal.
    he had a decent pass and smashes into plays. Beyond that hes not gonna get you a goal. i can see him go the whole years without one at this pace

more importantly marky needs to go down to tfc2 and give endoh a shot

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Teams end up reflecting their coaches. Vanney is analytical and not very emotional. That’s how we played.
    I feel like he needs to become more emotional. The amount of times the players come out flat at start of games or second half is remarkable. I wonder if his talks put the players to sleep. Honestly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    I feel like he needs to become more emotional. The amount of times the players come out flat at start of games or second half is remarkable. I wonder if his talks put the players to sleep. Honestly.
    I agree. We spent all of last year starting slowly. I am not a Vanney critic in general - but he needs to improve this area, and his substitutions - particularly the timing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My only comment for TFC would be, we should have flatted Valeri and Blanco if that’s the way Portland was going to play. It might have forced the officials hand to tighten things up. But instead, we just meekly accepted they were going to foul our best player out of the game. We should have made a huge stink of it. But then again, that appears to have been our M.O. for all of yesterday, put in a weak effort and casually accept defeat.
    Yes. That’s how I saw it. We didn’t have the passion to build on the obvious injustice and score.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 04-28-2019 at 03:45 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting that this match thread is called "you be connected." Prescient?

I think Bradley played poorly and when he plays poorly the whole team plays poorly.

I don't think the formation was ideal, but it's hard to think what would be better given the players available (almost any other formation would have had a critical weakness). I do hold Vanney responsible for running out of ideas to right the situation, that's his job to figure it out. I do give props to Vanney for starting Westberg.

I think after two solid matches Westberg has proven himself a starter. He saved a 1v1 that Bono 90% likely would have let in, and his distribution was solid. Too bad the defence in front of him was shambolic. Symbolic of the horrible defence was the pass-back to Westberg when Westberg had two opposition players on him. How he managed not to get scored on in that situation was amazing.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-28-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    ^ After watching the CPL match yesterday and various leagues over the years I can only come to a conclusion soccer in North America has a cultural problem with officiating. Things that are blindingly obvious to everyone are frequently missed or just improperly excused.

In the CPL game, Borges nearly broke a guy’s leg, straight in front of the ref and the 4th official, and didn’t even get a card. Kyle Bekker flatted a guy picking up a ball for a throw in 3-4 seconds after the pay stopped with a hit that would have earned an NHL player an obvious penalty, don’t think he got a card either. The official was David Gantar, who sucks, but you would think would be able to handle at least a CPL game.

Pozuelo was fouled 4-5 times in the span of 15 minutes. If that isn’t persistent infringement I don’t know what is. What does the number have to get to if 4-5 calls in succession isn’t enough? 10? 20?? Even worse, at a certain point the ref seemed tired of calling the fouls and kept swallowing his whistle.

My only comment for TFC would be, we should have flatted Valeri and Blanco if that’s the way Portland was going to play. It might have forced the officials hand to tighten things up. But instead, we just meekly accepted they were going to foul our best player out of the game. We should have made a huge stink of it. But then again, that appears to have been our M.O. for all of yesterday, put in a weak effort and casually accept defeat.

Referring is one of the best ways to script a game to your desired outcome.
    Flagrant non redcall on the mavinga tackle. No calls on consistent fouls on pozo.
    The red call changes the entire game in favour of TFC.
    Not the desired outcome today by mls

Also, lineup decision to start zavaletta over ciman is really questionable.
    No reaction by TFC players to fouls on pozo.
    Worst performance by all TFC players in 3 years.
    Another thing to add, the substitutions by Vanney yesterday. He wasn't playing to win with those subs. He's not a stupid man, he knows what he's doing.

Upon second day giving me a day to think I have determined that this was a Very suspicious game.
    Last edited by stevep; 04-28-2019 at 06:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Mavinga was excellent. I thought Poz was strong and I thought Oso was decent. I also rate Hamilton for his runs off the ball but he did not get the service he needed.

Bradley was good but the analysis that everything goes through him is correct. But currently his partner is Delgado, and, well, sheesh.

I was ok with Zavaleta. I didn't think much of Auro or Morrow.

DeLeon was kind of absent today.

Westerberg needs more games. Definitely has potential.

Why, in the last 10 minutes, would we have the ball in wide positions and 4 (!) players within about 10 feet of the spot? No options except central top of box. Pointless. Boyd, Chapman, Akindele did not provide options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Interesting that this match thread is called "you be connected." Prescient?

I think Bradley played poorly and when he plays poorly the whole team plays poorly.

I don't think the formation was ideal, but it's hard to think what would be better given the players available (almost any other formation would have had a critical weakness). I do hold Vanney responsible for running out of ideas to right the situation, that's his job to figure it out. I do give props to Vanney for starting Westberg.

I think after two solid matches Westberg has proven himself a starter. He saved a 1v1 that Bono 90% likely would have let in, and his distribution was solid. Too bad the defence in front of him was shambolic. Symbolic of the horrible defence was the pass-back to Westberg when Westberg had two opposition players on him. How he managed not to get scored on in that situation was amazing.
    he called for that pass didnt he?
    the one that was almost blocked back into the net?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley was very very good defensively. A number of takeaways right from the feet of opponents.

But the criticism that we are predictable is true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Far too many back passes and recycling the ball, be bloody direct and go forward, direct attacking football is hard to defend in my opinion anyway, Westberg played well, had no chances at all on both goals, Mavinga had a great game, if Akinola had tried a header instead of a high boot, I think he would have scored in extra time, put that down to inexperience. Anyway, can't win them all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Far too many back passes and recycling the ball, be bloody direct and go forward, direct attacking football is hard to defend in my opinion anyway, Westberg played well, had no chances at all on both goals, Mavinga had a great game, if Akinola had tried a header instead of a high boot, I think he would have scored in extra time, put that down to inexperience. Anyway, can't win them all.
    Yep, the pussy-footing, go nowhere football is pretty hard to watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Boyd is not a replacement for Giovinco I know guys on here are being sarcastic. Boyd is Ricketts replacement and so far Boyd is nothing close to what Ricketts was for TFC. A nice Ricketts replacement would have been a guy like local Canadian player Simeon Jackson who has had a decent career in the UK.
    I think what he was saying is, given we haven't done anything else, Boyd is effectively the replacement for Giovinco at the moment even thought that's not the intent. It's true.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I look at it this way

We play a different system then we did with Seba so like for like replacements are not going to happen

Seba gone
    VDW gone
    VV gone
    Ricketts gone

All 4 of these guys had a capability that we can quantify as part of the total capability of the team as a whole

The capability quantity of Seba was replaced with Poz

The capability quantity of VDW has been replaced with De Leaon

The capability quantity of VV has not been replaced.

The capability quantity of Rickets has been replaced by Hamilton

A TAM attacker would help fill the void in our capability that VV leaving created.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 04-29-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I look at it this way

We play a different system then we did with Seba so like for like replacements are not going to happen

Seba gone
    VDW gone
    VV gone
    Ricketts gone

All 3 of these guys had a capability that we can quantify as part of the total capability of the team as a whole

A TAM attacker would help feel the void in our capability that VV leaving created.
    That's reasonable. The way I look at it in VV, Giovinco and Jozy we had three guys that could score at any time. With Pozuelo and Jozy we're down to two. The fix is the same either way you look at it I think, which is a scoring winger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    That's reasonable. The way I look at it in VV, Giovinco and Jozy we had three guys that could score at any time. With Pozuelo and Jozy we're down to two. The fix is the same either way you look at it I think, which is a scoring winger.
    Right, our attack was dangerous back then.

Pozo can play up top like Giovinco, probably. However, if we had some capable attackers making runs into the box he’d be doing a lot of assisting.

Jozy can do that, but the other players don’t seem to be capable of it unless they’re being subbed on late against a team with a clueless defense.
    Last edited by stegosaurus; 04-29-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all got to do with the tactics that Vanney is dictating, recycle the ball constantly, try for that extra pass in the box and lose the ball, and always passing backwards or lateral, the little diamonds are great if you have the players with the skillset, but TFC have very few of those players, I mean look at Poz's 2 goals and could have been a third in the Minnesota match, strikes from outside the box or at least strikes at the goal, that is how you score goals, Hamilton's 2 goals by driving towards the opposition's goal, Bradley's 2 goals earlier, by driving towards the goal, it isn't rocket science, nothing frustrates me more than that absurd and pointless number of passes statistic, It irritates me when it is the talking point of Spain versus whomever, see if they can top the amount of passes they made last game, ffs. Okay my rant is over, it really is just my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I look at it this way

Seba gone
    VDW gone
    VV gone
    Ricketts gone

All 4 of these guys had a capability that we can quantify as part of the total capability of the team as a whole

A TAM attacker would help fill the void in our capability that VV leaving created.
    from 2017
    Id add Beitashour, Steven capability has not been replaced

we also had a very calm intelligent player coming off the bench for us (and carried us many times)
    Mr Benoit was the glue!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Right, our attack was dangerous back then.
    In 2017 our goals per game in MLS was 2.2 (34 games, 74 goals). This year our goals per game in MLS is 2.7 (7 games, 19 goals). Sure it's a small sample size this year, but I'd say our attack is still dangerous, obviously more so with Jozy on the field. I'm not disagreeing with the rest of your post, I'd like another capable attacking threat, but I think it's important to note we've done just fine up front so far.

For reference no one else in the East is even close to that - Orlando and Philadelphia would be second with 1.4 goals/game. In the West it gets a lot closer - LAFC at 2.6 and KC at 2.4 with a few other teams at 2. But either way we're sitting #1 in goals/game - I'm not saying we can maintain that with Jozy on the bench, but we can hurt teams this year.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    In 2017 our goals per game in MLS was 2.2 (34 games, 74 goals). This year our goals per game in MLS is 2.7 (7 games, 19 goals). Sure it's a small sample size this year, but I'd say our attack is still dangerous, obviously more so with Jozy on the field. I'm not disagreeing with the rest of your post, I'd like another capable attacking threat, but I think it's important to note we've done just fine up front so far.

For reference no one else in the East is even close to that - Orlando and Philadelphia would be second with 1.4 goals/game. In the West it gets a lot closer - LAFC at 2.6 and KC at 2.4 with a few other teams at 2. But either way we're sitting #1 in goals/game - I'm not saying we can maintain that with Jozy on the bench, but we can hurt teams this year.
    I would suggest we likely can't maintain that goal-scoring pace, period. A few days ago, denime posted a very interesting article in the daily news thread, about how TFC is scoring goals at a rate way above what would be predicted based on "expected goals" (which is calculated based on actual game situations).

What that likely tells us:
    - Jozy (and Pozuelo) have been very good. But Jozy will need breaks for injury, international duty, and recovery. Pozuelo will also need breaks; plus teams now have a couple of blueprint games to watch and emulate, on shutting down Pozuelo via crowding him, hacking, and leaving him much less space than any other TFC player.

- Even when Jozy and Poz are playing, they (and the whole team) will trend down closer towards the "expected goals" output with time, it's pretty well guaranteed. There's always lots of luck involved with scoring, and you can't ride it for a season.

- How to deal with the above issues? Your point is probably, TFC needs to focus on improving the defense, as they already have a good offensive output. I agree with that. However:

- Some of our defensive problems also come from problems at midfield and even at forward. E.g. bad passes & turnovers in dangerous areas; not enough defensive midfield cover; gradually pushing higher and higher when "possession w/o purpose" doesn't lead to goals for TFC.

- In addition to improving defense (by the whole team), they need to improve the "expected goals" output per game, with better players and smarter game plans, so that we don't depend on miracle plays by Jozy & Pozuelo (and can just enjoy them if/when they happen anyway).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I would suggest we likely can't maintain that goal-scoring pace, period...
    I must spread some reputation around before giving it to you again. Great post.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I would suggest we likely can't maintain that goal-scoring pace, period. A few days ago, denime posted a very interesting article in the daily news thread, about how TFC is scoring goals at a rate way above what would be predicted based on "expected goals" (which is calculated based on actual game situations).

What that likely tells us:
    - Jozy (and Pozuelo) have been very good. But Jozy will need breaks for injury, international duty, and recovery. Pozuelo will also need breaks; plus teams now have a couple of blueprint games to watch and emulate, on shutting down Pozuelo via crowding him, hacking, and leaving him much less space than any other TFC player.

- Even when Jozy and Poz are playing, they (and the whole team) will trend down closer towards the "expected goals" output with time, it's pretty well guaranteed. There's always lots of luck involved with scoring, and you can't ride it for a season.

- How to deal with the above issues? Your point is probably, TFC needs to focus on improving the defense, as they already have a good offensive output. I agree with that. However:

- Some of our defensive problems also come from problems at midfield and even at forward. E.g. bad passes & turnovers in dangerous areas; not enough defensive midfield cover; gradually pushing higher and higher when "possession w/o purpose" doesn't lead to goals for TFC.

- In addition to improving defense (by the whole team), they need to improve the "expected goals" output per game, with better players and smarter game plans, so that we don't depend on miracle plays by Jozy & Pozuelo (and can just enjoy them if/when they happen anyway).
    Yes, exactly.