SEMI-FINAL SERIES:
    1st Leg on 24 April 2013 – FC Edmonton vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    1st Leg on 24 April 2013 – Toronto FC vs. Impact Montréal
    2nd Leg on 1 May 2013 – Impact Montréal vs. Toronto FC
    2nd Leg on 1 May 2013 – Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs. FC Edmonton

FINAL SERIES:
    1st Leg on 15 May 2013
    2nd Leg on 29 May 2013
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    2013 AMWAY CANADIAN CHAMPIONSHIP

SEMI-FINAL SERIES:

FINAL SERIES:
    1st Leg on 15 May 2013
    2nd Leg on 29 May 2013
    I am looking forward to a second road trip of the season to Montreal on May 1. It should be an interesting tourney this year, in which the Reds will hopefully defend their title.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hold on...despite being RETURNING CHAMPIONS, not only don't we get seeded #1, but we have to play the 2nd leg on the road...what type of bush league competition is this?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    hold on...despite being RETURNING CHAMPIONS, not only don't we get seeded #1, but we have to play the 2nd leg on the road...what type of bush league competition is this?
    It's based on league standing now. Frankly, after TFC's performance over the whole year, I would be pretty embarrassed to be seeded above Vancouver or Montreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the seeding was based on league position.

EDIT: ^ you beat me to it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i realize its on league position, but how many cups base their cup seeding on league position; england they don't, european leagues they don't; in fact you in europe, the returning champion is automatically a #1 seed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pfft who cares about seeding. We will win the damn thing anyway, cant wait for what excuse they come up with this time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is it just me, or does anyone else put the voyagers cup on par if not greater then making it into the playoffs?
    if we make it into the playoffs and lose this tournament i'd be kinda devastated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    is it just me, or does anyone else put the voyagers cup on par if not greater then making it into the playoffs?
    if we make it into the playoffs and lose this tournament i'd be kinda devastated.
    I put them on par as an expectation - I expect us to make the playoffs, and I expect us to win the V-Cup. However, having not gone to the playoffs, it would be huge for us to qualify. And not winning the VCup, I don't remember how that feels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I look forward to the long and steeped tradition of Vancouver not winning.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not just you, bud.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    2013 AMWAY CANADIAN CHAMPIONSHIP

SEMI-FINAL SERIES:

FINAL SERIES:
    1st Leg on 15 May 2013
    2nd Leg on 29 May 2013

Just noticed you titled it Vcup then added the Amway in the OP.

Vcup 1st. Whatever "they" want to call it second.

That's why I love Yohan. Well, one reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who cares about the seeding I just want to see Toronto knock off Vancouver again hopefully this time in there Barn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    i realize its on league position, but how many cups base their cup seeding on league position; england they don't, european leagues they don't; in fact you in europe, the returning champion is automatically a #1 seed
    Actually in England there is no seeding. It is all randomly drawn.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    Who cares about the seeding I just want to see Toronto knock off Vancouver again hopefully this time in there Barn.
    all this means is that we'll have to beat montreal BEFORE vancouver.
    you can't have your main course until you finish your appetizer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all this means is that we'll have to beat montreal BEFORE vancouver.
    you can't have your main course until you finish your appetizer.
    Even though I still want TFC to knock both teams off especially on there own Home turf..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC needs to start the season off right . . . Go TFC!

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    Even though I still want TFC to knock both teams off especially on there own Home turf..
    First game in Vancouver - Alfie have you got your tickets yet?

Hope Payne and Santa have more gifts for us this season?

Merry Christmas and see you in the New Year.

TFC SSH
    J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we don't win this, then I hope whoever is coaching is fired! TFC is a true Canadian team unlike Vancouver who are known within CMNT supporters as "anti-Canadian" due to not playing Canadian players while Montreal is just team from Quebec (enough said) . We should represent Canada in CCL not Vancouver or Montreal. *lights the match and sets this thread on fire*

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merry Christmas to some and Happy Holiday to others.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need to make the playoffs never mind this Voyageurs Cup crap. We have won this cup a few times now and what has it done to the image of this team. We have won this thing but we have had crappy regular seasons and have never made the playoffs, due to this fact we have been the laughing stock of the league and the general media even here in Toronto. This organization will only gain some respactability and get people interested in this team again by having a decent regular season and finally making the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan View Post
    We need to make the playoffs never mind this Voyageurs Cup crap. We have won this cup a few times now and what has it done to the image of this team.
    It got us to the semi finals of the CCL, it gut us a sold out match at the Skydome and it got us great wins over our rivals. I could care less about MLS playoffs, I'd rather win the CCL. MLS doesn't care about Toronto or any Canadian team so why should I care what happens in MLS?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think everyone has their own priorities but I put the league first personally.

CCL is flawed in so many ways, most of the matchups are non-inspiring and clubs have questionable levels of commitment at times. I don't care about playing a handful of banana republic teams mariner probably scouts for talent and the cream of the crop in Mexico that are far enough ahead of us that it's not really a contest. If it ever gets rolled into the Copa America or Labradores, that would change my opinion.

Until then, CCL looks mostly like a soft competition, especially when you consider how we fare there compared to the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soft? Than would not any tournament/match held outside of Mexico be soft including mls regular season?

I can easily say CCL group stage games brought a better atmosphere in recent years than regular season games. I can even say the VCUP brought a better atmosphere and more attention to our club (oh wait, positive attention).

GO TFC!!!!!!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's been enough years in this tournament to see the attraction of it for those have been around since the beginning.

I tend to over emphasize when talking about the Vcup and CCL because I think it's more important than its present quality.

Every time this discussion point resurfaces I have to wonder how likely it be that Toronto or MLS competes on an FML level without tournament play?

I'm just surprised that there are those that care more about our competition in this league and, in essence, say "forget about the rest of the region". It just doesn't lend itself to following the worlds game in my eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of the better games that TFC have been involved with and some of the better memories have been in the V Cup and the CCL . I like to TFC go as far as possible in this Tourney and at the same time have success in MLS play also nothing rong with haveing success inn both

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The question I have for those that think the voyageurs cup and the ccl that comes with it is much more important than the MLS season and playoffs, why have we gone through so many coaching changes and managerial changes in 7 years if the voyageurs cup and ccl is so much more important than the MLS season and playoffs? Our record in the voyageurs cup has been very good, even in the ccl we have had some success, so why all the changes, if these two competitions where we have been good at, mean so much, we have done well in them so why all the changes then?
    Last edited by SoccMan; 12-27-2012 at 08:58 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The question I have for those that think the voyageurs cup and the ccl that comes with it is much more important than the MLS season and playoffs, why have we gone through so many coaching changes and managerial changes in 7 years if the voyageurs cup and ccl is so much more important than the MLS season and playoffs? Our record in the voyageurs cup has been very good, even in the ccl we have had some success, so why all the changes, if these two competitions where we have been good at, mean so much, we have done well in them so why all the changes then?
    You are arguing what is more popular not what is more important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need to make the playoffs never mind this Voyageurs Cup crap. We have won this cup a few times now and what has it done to the image of this team. We have won this thing but we have had crappy regular seasons and have never made the playoffs, due to this fact we have been the laughing stock of the league and the general media even here in Toronto. This organization will only gain some respactability and get people interested in this team again by having a decent regular season and finally making the playoffs.
    You know, it is possible for you to state your preference for the playoffs without calling the Voyageurs Cup "crap".

It's the ultimate supporters trophy, funded by fans from coast-to-coast.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    You know, it is possible for you to state your preference for the playoffs without calling the Voyageurs Cup "crap".

It's the ultimate supporters trophy, funded by fans from coast-to-coast.
    +1 People who don't understand the significance of the Voyageurs Cup should read a little on the history of it. Like the Supporters Shield in MLS, it is a trophy created by supporters at their own expense for something supporters consider important.

Here is the announcement when it was started:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/voyageur...onship_article

Also Soccman, you might consider this trophy worthless, but you only have to look at how the Whitecaps feel to understand that it is important:

ACC: Whitecaps FC desperately want Voyageurs Cup trophy after near-misses
    http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2012...er-near-misses

The general North American sports fan might only understand league playoffs, and so getting in the MLS playoffs will have more impact on the club, but many supporters in the GTA understand greatly the importance of continental competition.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdogg View Post
    ...it would be huge for us to qualify. And not winning the VCup, I don't remember how that feels
    Quoted for when we inevitably lose our grip on the Cup.

The playoffs are a holy grail at this point, so qualifying for those would mean a lot more. That said, the Champions League is a bigger tournament and a chance at winning that shouldn't take a backseat to MLS fixtures in terms of player rotation.