Page 167 of 193 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177 ... LastLast
Results 4,981 to 5,010 of 5785
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    That would be true in any other year.

But if he scores and plays well at the World Cup those biases will disappear quite quickly. And he can get what he makes here in the Championship, or a middling Ligue 1
    team.
    Fair enough short term and playing there may be enough, but long term Lifetime Red will be worth more.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba in essence trailed with us earlier this season.

It did not go well, by all accounts.

Oso would be lapped up by a LigaMx team - that's why I think he's gone no matter what.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Oso would be lapped up by a LigaMx team - that's why I think he's gone no matter what.
    Probably but if they sign him for any length of term he'll probably be playing in the lesser league in a few years time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Maybe TFC just needs a 'Sharon Fieldstone' for our 'Dani Rojas'?
    Man, lost his place in the eleven also!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Probably but if they sign him for any length of term he'll probably be playing in the lesser league in a few years time.
    Yeah. If not in quality of play, certainly in quality of life.

If he went to Europe, I could see him ending up in, like, Portugal, or a bottom-10 La Liga team (not because he wouldn't deserve higher, but because higher teams wouldn't be interested in a 30-year-old Canadian).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Giovinco's only played 37 minutes in the past 16 months. It is time to move on.
    While I do agree it's time to move on, at the same time he's only 35, and we need a 9 now. Why not offer him a 6m contract worth 500k or less. Maybe playing with his Azzurri friends will give him that career reigniting he needs. I have to think except for his shape and lake of minutes, he could at least finish a little better than JJ and Akinola. Heck, even just sign him till end of season to see if there is anything left in the tank that can be salvaged playing with the Italians. We need a 9 desperately and maybe he can be the bridge for a few months while Manning and Co are shopping and JJ and Akinola aren't scoring.

Also, it would give him a proper send off, while also selling out ever last seat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dave343 View Post
    While I do agree it's time to move on, at the same time he's only 35, and we need a 9 now. Why not offer him a 6m contract worth 500k or less. Maybe playing with his Azzurri friends will give him that career reigniting he needs. I have to think except for his shape and lake of minutes, he could at least finish a little better than JJ and Akinola. Heck, even just sign him till end of season to see if there is anything left in the tank that can be salvaged playing with the Italians. We need a 9 desperately and maybe he can be the bridge for a few months while Manning and Co are shopping and JJ and Akinola aren't scoring.
    He is finished 100%. What we don't need in our set up is a five and a half foot target 9 who runs slower than Bradley. If that's what we want we should have just kept shitty Dwyer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He is finished 100%. What we don't need in our set up is a five and a half foot target 9 who runs slower than Bradley. If that's what we want we should have just kept shitty Dwyer.
    Understand the perspective and position taken.
    But Dwyer = Giovinco?
    A little harsh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco is not coming back. We had the opportunity to sign him in preseason and passed.

We're going to have to make due with Ayo and Jesus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But Dwyer = Giovinco?
    A little harsh?
    I agree, it’s a little harsh, but Gio was never great as a 9. He always played much better as a second striker. Even at his best, he probably wouldn’t fit well in a 4-3-3.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But Dwyer = Giovinco?
    A little harsh?
    5 years ago, yes.

Today, it's probably more insulting to Dwyer who has done more in Atlanta than I ever expected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/tombogert

Notable free agents left, which MLS teams could (technically) sign until Sept 2:

Andrea Belotti
    Juan Mata
    Adnan Januzaj
    Cristian Tello
    Diego Costa
    Marcelo
    Luca Zidane
    Saphir Taider
    Loris Karius
    Hatem Ben Arfa

I'm just saying...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    https://twitter.com/tombogert

Notable free agents left, which MLS teams could (technically) sign until Sept 2:

Andrea Belotti
    Juan Mata
    Adnan Januzaj
    Cristian Tello
    Diego Costa
    Marcelo
    Luca Zidane
    Saphir Taider
    Loris Karius
    Hatem Ben Arfa

I'm just saying...
    Is Karius better than Bono or Q? What a fall from grace, but maybe he just needs to get away from the spotlight?? Although he was loaned out, and didn't too too well on his loan spells, even at Union Berlin (who have amazingly taken over Hertha as the best Berlin football club!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's too bad the belotti thing never panned out, would be perfect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The latest on Belotti is that he's waiting for Roma to offload a player, although last week they mentioned of receiving an "important" offer from another club with no further details.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also some Twitter rumblings the current set and Belotti don’t get along. Which kiboshes this as an idea I think. But agreed, otherwise he’s the perfect prototype

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://hfxwanderersfc.canpl.ca/arti...ment-contracts

Adisa De Rosario leaves TFC academy and joins Halifax Wanderers for the rest of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should go get Antony from Ajax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some interesting quotes from our manager and the general slant (as to be expected) is on team/roster building.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/estab...o-fc-dominance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more I look at the last few games, the more convinced I am that Jesus is both tired and demoralized.

In Spain, he preferred to cut in from deep positions, and off centre.
    That can unbalance teams in transition as defenders have to both retreat and close distance with the man theyre
    covering.

Consequently, in a counterattacking side, he is very effective.

Now, he's having to learn to be effective and find space in a much more constrained area, the penalty box.

Typically, number nines accomplish this with side to side movement,
    trying to shake defenders and pull them out of position. This also creates space for incoming attackers (and he's contributed indirectly to Oso goals with wide runs that accomplish this).

But he's nearly motionless in the box, he's not constantly working lateral distance between himself and his marker.

As a former wide midfielder he has likely never had to do this.

His other movement is smart enough that, if he understands just how much and how constant that movement needs to be, he'll adjust.

I hate to say it but I can see both him and Ayo becoming super subs if they don't adjust quickly.

If we spent more time in transition, ala LAFC, I can see them working out, as they can overlap at speed with LI and Bernie. But our possession is now so dominant that we're spending most of the match in the other half. So a traditional powerful forward Ala Buksa or Vasquez makes far more sense.

Perhaps he can adapt to that but great number nines --
    or even good ones -- usually start pretty young.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more I look at the last few games, the more convinced I am that Jesus is both tired and demoralized.

That can unbalance teams in transition as defenders have to both retreat and close distance with the man theyre
    covering.

Now, he's having to learn to be effective and find space in a much more constrained area, the penalty box.

trying to shake defenders and pull them out of position. This also creates space for incoming attackers (and he's contributed indirectly to Oso goals with wide runs that accomplish this).

But he's nearly motionless in the box, he's not constantly working lateral distance between himself and his marker.

His other movement is smart enough that, if he understands just how much and how constant that movement needs to be, he'll adjust.

I hate to say it but I can see both him and Ayo becoming super subs if they don't adjust quickly.

If we spent more time in transition, ala LAFC, I can see them working out, as they can overlap at speed with LI and Bernie. But our possession is now so dominant that we're spending most of the match in the other half. So a traditional powerful forward Ala Buksa or Vasquez makes far more sense.

Ironically, Altidore probably would have done well. Bradley Wright-Phillips from 5 years ago would have been perfect.
    Last edited by Kamp Berg; 08-19-2022 at 11:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

covering.

Another fine and fair assessment jloome.
    Oddly, sort of, 'pincered' like into that position and play by Lolo's and Fede's styles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team needs to more transfer windows to become a dominant team in my opinion. The next window you focus on mls proven talents via free agency and the trade market. This imo should make us a solid playoff team. As realistically it’s difficult to get top talent out of Europe without paying transfer fees. Then in the summer you get your dp and compliment the roster and they will turn into the dominant supporters shield contending side

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Offseason needs:

1) Starting GK
    2) Backup Keeper (I'd be okay with Westberg, maybe Luka Gavran from TFC2 would be a solid backup [recent TFC2 results look good, anyone seen their games?])
    3) Starting CB who can marshall the line*
    4) Starting Level Midfielder*
    5) Striker*
    6) A Right Back to replace Laryea (loan ends June 30)
    7) 4-5 Depth players who can actually contribute as subs/injury replacement starters (all positions)
    8) New contract for Osorio

*one of these can be a DP

This roster is far from complete. We're too top heavy. Can these even be filled under an MLS salary "budget". Probably too much or one window too
    Last edited by rydermike; 08-20-2022 at 10:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it too early to start the off season player discussion thread?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“If westberg isn’t starting he doesn’t want to feature in the 18”

“Absolutely no communication between Bono and ranjitsingh, which isn’t all that different than Bono and westbergs past relationship”

Take with a huge grain of salt ^^

It’s been discussed on here how poor we are at developing keepers. What’s described above tracks with that and makes me think the coaching/culture around keepers is at best “not ideal” and at worst “toxic”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LCD Eindhoven View Post
    “If westberg isn’t starting he doesn’t want to feature in the 18”

“Absolutely no communication between Bono and ranjitsingh, which isn’t all that different than Bono and westbergs past relationship”

Take with a huge grain of salt ^^

It’s been discussed on here how poor we are at developing keepers. What’s described above tracks with that and makes me think the coaching/culture around keepers is at best “not ideal” and at worst “toxic”
    Where do these quotes come from? Because that doesn't strike me as anything that Q would say, and he's backed up Bono many times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Where do these quotes come from? Because that doesn't strike me as anything that Q would say, and he's backed up Bono many times.
    Loose source around the club - has been bang on with info in the past (has also had some unverifiable info, some of which I doubt was true) had some negative info about westberg before the season too, might just not like him…

As I said - giant grain of salt
    Last edited by LCD Eindhoven; 08-21-2022 at 08:22 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Westberg has a rib injury.

I question carrying 3 keepers in primary roster spots - it sounds like they have been shopping Westberg and / or Bono with no takers.

A Bono not getting along with his teammates thing would not surprise me - ultimately, that would be a coaching problem that should not be allowed to fester.

I suspect Bono has asked to have his contract renewed & been told that isn't happening during the season.

Bono playing right now is the equivalent of having to play Chung & Petrasso earlier this season. A change in GK was only going to happen if they could offload that contract to somebody - baring that, the best of the 2 at the moment plays.

I still think he needs his eyesight dealt with - that goal yesterday was not caused by it but he has noticeable issues with depth perception.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 08-21-2022 at 08:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Westberg has a rib injury.

I question carrying 3 keepers in primary roster spots - it sounds like they have been shopping Westberg and / or Bono with no takers.

A Bono not getting along with his teammates thing would not surprise me - ultimately, that would be a coaching problem that should not be allowed to fester.

I suspect Bono has asked to have his contract renewed & been told that isn't happening during the season.

Bono playing right now is the equivalent of having to play Chung & Petrasso earlier this season. A change in GK was only going to happen if they could offload that contract to somebody - baring that, the best of the 2 at the moment plays.

I still think he needs his eyesight dealt with - that goal yesterday was not caused by it but he has noticeable issues with depth perception.
    Yeah this was a “the rib injury is no longer what’s keeping him out”

Will be a good measuring stick… if westberg comes back this season in a backup capacity I’ll know this guy is making stuff up / exaggerating sometimes - I do get the feeling he simply doesn’t like Q