Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    Have you noticed our inability to SCORE multiple goals per game?

Look, if we want to actually compete regularily in this league we need a finisher.

Dichio has played in 8 games this year, and only had 5 shots total, with two on net that went in.

Look at Moreno at Columbus with the same amount of games played. 10 shots, 6 on goal, 4 goals, 3 assists. THIS is what we need.

Altidore with the same amount of goals, 10 shots, 5 on target. We NEED to create more shots from our strikers, more CHANCES from our strikers. This isn't happening for the most part. Which is why IMO we need a natural finisher. Someone who isn't afraid to take a defender on and blast a shot on net.

I dont say "qft", but I totally agree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    I hear that a lot around here, but realistically, don't you think that's too much to ask for......your description is basically "the total package"...I think we have more than enough pace in the midfield now (Guevara and Ricketts....Robert while skilled is a lazy boy, but that's another topic) to make up for lack thereof at forward...like I said before the mid who joins the rush will negate our lack of pace from Dichio, and complement him.
    I don't think we need the total package. Far from it. We need a striker with decent size (not hard to find) who can put the ball in the back of the net, period. Dichio is not doing that job good enough regardless of whether he's a striker or CF. End of story.

Fact is, we've scored 5 goals in 5 games. Pathetic if we actually believe we are going to challenge for the playoffs.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think people have to understand who Danny Dichio is…

He is a journeyman footballer, cut from the traditional British “target man” cloth…has limited skills but understands how to play within them and plays with unconditional love for the badge. Now, I understand that there are many on this board who don’t like this type of player (for whatever reason?) but in the current TFC set up…that’s they way it is…consider yourselves damn lucky to have a player of this kind.

And with all this “Dichio isn’t doing this…he can’t do that”…there is a awkward silence on this board about the performances on our “high priced skilled” players…the Guevara’s…Robert’s?

Look…I’m relatively happy with their performances to date…but when DD is winning balls…working in both boxes…physically punishing defenders…one touch passing…flicking balls into open space…the midfields job is to be there, link up and finish. Dichio's role is TARGET MAN not STRIKER! What part of this sentence is too difficult to understand? Yes, we need a striker to play with Dichio!!!

Danny must be knackered today…give him a break and start looking around the pitch…
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    I think people have to understand who Danny Dichio is…

He is a journeyman footballer, cut from the traditional British “target man” cloth…has limited skills but understands how to play within them and plays with unconditional love for the badge. Now, I understand that there are many on this board who don’t like this type of player (for whatever reason?) but in the current TFC set up…that’s they way it is…consider yourselves damn lucky to have a player of this kind.

And with all this “Dichio isn’t doing this…he can’t do that”…there is a awkward silence on this board about the performances on our “high priced skilled” players…the Guevara’s…Robert’s?

Look…I’m relatively happy with their performances to date…but when DD is winning balls…working in both boxes…physically punishing defenders…one touch passing…flicking balls into open space…the midfields job is to be there, link up and finish. Dichio's role is TARGET MAN not STRIKER! What part of this sentence is too difficult to understand? Yes, we need a striker to play with Dichio!!!

Danny must be knackered today…give him a break and start looking around the pitch…
    If we keep this formation, Dichio is basically lone forward. If we get a better striker either he gets replaced in the starting XI, or a midfielder (Edu) comes out and Guevara pushes back to AM with the striker playing along side Dichio. This is what I would love to see. Our inability to create chances in regular play is concerning. It's great that Danny plays his role, I salute him for it. No slight to Danny, but we need a goal scorer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto Bhoy, I had said it earlier that I think that Guevara has not capitalized on enough chances. I am not that hard on Robert as he is a winger, and I do not expect him to score as much.I agree with you about Dichio. I only agree with the other side of the argument in that if Danny had pace he could capitalize on more chances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio's role is TARGET MAN not STRIKER! What part of this sentence is too difficult to understand? Yes, we need a striker to play with Dichio!!!
    Target man

The target man plays his football in the penalty area and acts as a focal point for attacks. They are typically good ‘poachers’ (meaning they are opportunistic) and headers of the ball, but rely on chances made by the midfield.
    Notable target men

Drogba is another brilliant target man. dichio does not play his football in the penalty area (as everyone on here has already acknowledged), and often holds the ball up for the midfield (as everyone on here has already acknowledged). he is not a poacher either or he would have more than 2 goals in 8 games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milton_Arab View Post
    while we are grinding out an unbeaten streak it is hard to be too critical but there are some things to keep in mind. the football we are playing is not easy on the eye (unless you have bhoybobby's eyesight), we don't score enough goals, and some of the draws could have been turned into victories had we a couple players who were more adept at finding the back of the net, and that is where i find fault with dichio. and the whole striker/centre forward argument is pedantic. he is leading our attack, therefore he should be scoring.

oh and one thing i will say about me is that i don't always mean things to sound as harsh as they are. so although i say dichio is useless i don't mean maple leafs trying to win the stanley cup useless i mean he's ok for now, but for the team to really impress and start punishing teams we need better.
    i won't argue with you there. in simple terms this is my issue:

dichio is our main attacker yet he has scored 2 in 8. fine he does all these other things (and even then he doesn't do them as well as some people on here seem to think) but if he is doing all these other things then who is going to be scoring the goals?? the team is only scoring slightly over a goal a game. if we want to win the cup or be a top team over the course of a season that needs to be increased ASAP
    Hey, you never get points on how you play....a win is 3 ponts no matter what. Teams all over the world have been successful and have made a living off of grind 'em out style, and I think that is what Carver is going for here.
    The striker/centre forward thing is a big deal because they do different things....Trezeguet is a striker....Dichio is not. Aside from TFC, I follow Juve and minutes upon minutes will pass without ever hearing Trez's name, then boom, he scores....that's a striker's job. I don't think 3 minutes pass without Dichio getting a touch.
    Yeah I don't take offense to what you say man....its the internet, everybody gets a little mouthy....me included .
    I just don't think Dichio has to be only scoring goals ALL the time, because our system, formation, and surrounding skill doesn't warrant it. I really feel that just because he is the last man up, it doesn't mean all he should do is score. At times we have 3 players attacking near goal all acting the goal scorer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Target man

The target man plays his football in the penalty area and acts as a focal point for attacks. They are typically good ‘poachers’ (meaning they are opportunistic) and headers of the ball, but rely on chances made by the midfield.
    Notable target men

Drogba is another brilliant target man. dichio does not play his football in the penalty area (as everyone on here has already acknowledged), and often holds the ball up for the midfield (as everyone on here has already acknowledged). he is not a poacher either or he would have more than 2 goals in 8 games
    Dichio is a poacher- what was the goal last night if not a poacher's goal? His issue, again, is that due to his lack of mobility he cannot get to enough balls in the box to finish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think we need the total package. Far from it. We need a striker with decent size (not hard to find) who can put the ball in the back of the net, period. Dichio is not doing that job good enough regardless of whether he's a striker or CF. End of story.

Fact is, we've scored 5 goals in 5 games. Pathetic if we actually believe we are going to challenge for the playoffs.
    Yes, that's fine I was referring to another poster who wanted a striker with size, speed, finishing, shoots lasers out of their hands, etc.
    Also, we've let in 1 goal in 5 games, which is fucking fantastic for a team challenging for the cup. Many, many successful teams have been of the low scoring, tight defense variety.

If we keep this formation, Dichio is basically lone forward. If we get a better striker either he gets replaced in the starting XI, or a midfielder (Edu) comes out and Guevara pushes back to AM with the striker playing along side Dichio. This is what I would love to see. Our inability to create chances in regular play is concerning. It's great that Danny plays his role, I salute him for it. No slight to Danny, but we need a goal scorer.
    Yet he still gets criticized, even though he admittedly plays his role....it just doesn't make sense to me sometimes. But as much as I love Dichio, I've said for a month or so, we now need a DP striker.....in the meantime, Dichio is great for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The striker/centre forward thing is a big deal because they do different things....Trezeguet is a striker....Dichio is not. Aside from TFC, I follow Juve and minutes upon minutes will pass without ever hearing Trez's name, then boom, he scores....that's a striker's job. I don't think 3 minutes pass without Dichio getting a touch.
    Yeah I don't take offense to what you say man....its the internet, everybody gets a little mouthy....me included .
    I just don't think Dichio has to be only scoring goals ALL the time, because our system, formation, and surrounding skill doesn't warrant it. I really feel that just because he is the last man up, it doesn't mean all he should do is score. At times we have 3 players attacking near goal all acting the goal scorer.
    seeing as how we are comparing players ( and i agree with you) we should look at comparing tore andre flo and norway from the 90s. they also played 4-5-1 very defensive minded like tfc. and flo is very similar to dichio in that they are both tall physical players with not too much skill (to contrast to crouch who has some great ball control for a big man). so everything between the two teams is quite similar, same style, formation, relative skill of the team compared to competing teams, both griding out results, lone attacker very similar. the difference is flo had a great goalscoring rate, dichio doesn't. and again, that is the fault i have with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Dichio is a poacher- what was the goal last night if not a poacher's goal? His issue, again, is that due to his lack of mobility he cannot get to enough balls in the box to finish.
    fair enough, he did show great strenght and a poacher's ability, but when i think of poacher i think more of inzhagi. but again, even so, dichio is not a very potent poacher. the other issue is the team play too deep to get enough balls into the box for him regardless of mobility

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Target man

Notable target men

I guess we'll disagree on the definition of "target man"

And I'll respectfully disagree with the four names you chosen as such!

Muller was indeed a poacher but was stocky, powerful and could turn on a dime. He worked the 18 yard box, in fact he owned it and picked up scraps…watch the '72 World Cup…what a player.

Ronaldo and Drogba are…IMO…bonefide strikers in the classic sense…great with the ball at their feet, terrific pace and fantastic goal sense.

And Alan Shearer made his living playing with a "target man"…Chris Sutton…who suprising played like DD. He feed Shearer goal after goal at Blackburn.

All these player lead their teams in scoring…that's what strikers do.

Again I don't see any of these guys as "target men" but I would be curious to see who you would call a striker if these guys aren't?
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneLoveOneEric View Post
    I think you should give your head a shake. Our only striker on the field, like Shaughno has said, has mustered up the heroic effort of 5 shots on goal in 8 games. That is a pathetic return. A striker's job is to score. It's actually one of the more simple aspects of the game. And if he's not going to score, he should be setting people up left, right, and centre. He hasn't done that either, as evidenced by our inability to kil opponents off or to score several goals in a game.
    I'd much rather have a speedy, dangerous striker scaring defenders than Dichio. I'd rather the defenders were scared of being scored on than scared of getting hurt.
    But it insults are all you want to add, that's cool too.
    This argument has been done over and over, and I've not just added insults to the discussion. You say you understand what Dichio gives to the team, you just don't appreciate it. The manager is selecting him and this system for a reason. He and Mo are out there looking to bring some more attack to the club (See: the Ameobi discussion) but Carver explicitly says he is happy with having solidified the team, and Dichio's hold-up play is part of that. If Carver thought Cunningham was worth more minutes, he would be on the pitch. And he is not. That says all you need to know about how our undefeated in six coach values what Dichio brings to this setup over what Cunningham brings.

Carver and Johnson are on the lookout for more attack. If this winter taught us anything, it is that the nervous nellies on this board will bitch and bitch about wanting everything faster, and backtrack when the likes of Guevara and Robert are brought. Cue this same exact discussion when another striker is added. In the meantime, Carver is playing a system that gets the most out of the players he values in the setup and is bringing us success with it.

But piss and moan away, it's a free internet.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Toronto Bhoy, I had said it earlier that I think that Guevara has not capitalized on enough chances. I am not that hard on Robert as he is a winger, and I do not expect him to score as much.I agree with you about Dichio. I only agree with the other side of the argument in that if Danny had pace he could capitalize on more chances.
    Trane your absolutely right but Danny doesn't have pace…never has. What we need is a striker to play with him. When we aquired Cunningham I thought he would be the guy…but he turned out to be shite.

But if we can find a guy (Jarrod Smith?) to play with Dichio…

Think Chris Sutton with a Henrik Larrson or Alan Shearer!

I'm getting a woody just thinking about it!!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Sorry…too much information…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I
    And Alan Shearer made his living playing with a "target man"…Chris Sutton…who suprising played like DD. He feed Shearer goal after goal at Blackburn.

All these player lead their teams in scoring…that's what strikers do.

Again I don't see any of these guys as "target men" but I would be curious to see who you would call a striker if these guys aren't?
    EXACTLY. which is why dichio should not be playing alone up front.

striker: ian rush, henry, torres, romario, shevchenko, stoichkov, and just for you larsson - to name a few

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trane your absolutely right but Danny doesn't have pace…never has. What we need is a striker to play with him. When we aquired Cunningham I thought he would be the guy…but he turned out to be shite.

But if we can find a guy (Jarrod Smith?) to play with Dichio…

Think Chris Sutton with a Henrik Larrson or Alan Shearer!

I'm getting a woody just thinking about it!!!

I was thinking the same when Cunny came to TFC, but Cunny is too one dimensional.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fair enough, he did show great strenght and a poacher's ability, but when i think of poacher i think more of inzhagi. but again, even so, dichio is not a very potent poacher. the other issue is the team play too deep to get enough balls into the box for him regardless of mobility
    Funny, but Inzaghi is exactly the guy I think about when I think of Dichio. A poacher with soccer IQ. Dichio is clearly more physical. But Inzaghi while not fast is mobile. [ Clearly I do not think is as good as Inzaghi, Serie A and the MLS are still miles away from this other]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny, but Inzaghi is exactly the guy I think about when I think of Dichio. A poacher with soccer IQ. Dichio is clearly more physical. But Inzaghi while not fast is mobile. [ Clearly I do not think is as good as Inzaghi, Serie A and the MLS are still miles away from this other]
    actually that is the problem i have when i am being overly critical of the team, i keep forgetting what level it actually is.

but i wouldn't think of dichio when i think of inzhagi. for one inzhagi is one of the biggest diving moaning pussies around, while dichio has some integrity.

to me, the higher level version of dichio is hakan sukur

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Dichio is all heart and spirit. His play last night was mostly solid with a couple of poor touches. I'm thinking that like last year when his first goal meant a turning of the corner for him as a player, last night's performance will inspire him to greatness for the rest of this season. No disrespect to Sutton or Guevera (who played very well), Dichio was man of the match last night for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually that is the problem i have when i am being overly critical of the team, i keep forgetting what level it actually is.

but i wouldn't think of dichio when i think of inzhagi. for one inzhagi is one of the biggest diving moaning pussies around, while dichio has some integrity.

to me, the higher level version of dichio is hakan sukur

Hey, not only am I Italian but I am a Milanista, so I love Pippo. But I will not say that he does not dive.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EXACTLY. which is why dichio should not be playing alone up front.

striker: ian rush, henry, torres, romario, shevchenko, stoichkov, and just for you larsson - to name a few
    But until we get that striker, we are going to continue to play 5 in the middle and those guys have to link up with Danny! We have no deepth up front…Danny is all we have and we're unbeaten in six!!!

If Cunningham was on the field he'd be running away from our midfield!

Yep, can't argue with those strikers…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seeing as how we are comparing players ( and i agree with you) we should look at comparing tore andre flo and norway from the 90s. they also played 4-5-1 very defensive minded like tfc. and flo is very similar to dichio in that they are both tall physical players with not too much skill (to contrast to crouch who has some great ball control for a big man). so everything between the two teams is quite similar, same style, formation, relative skill of the team compared to competing teams, both griding out results, lone attacker very similar. the difference is flo had a great goalscoring rate, dichio doesn't. and again, that is the fault i have with him.

Right so Dichio has scored 8 goals in 25 total appearances for TFC (0.32 gpg)...Flo made 76 appearances for Norway scoring 23 goals (0.30 gpg), which is actually LESS than Dichio's rate, so what's the problem? Also, please keep in mind, Dichio is putting up these numbers at 33 years of age. I think the ONLY knock on Dichio can be his age, BUT he still produces (in ALL facets of the game) big time, considering.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sick!
    We're actually having some footy discussion on here!

I stick by what I said earlier, and have been saying since the start of the season. Danny Dichio is a very good CF. His ability to knock down balls, control the pace of play, and cause havoc for defenders, is quite good. However a good CF does not make a good striker. A strikers job is to continually put the ball in the back of the net, and Danny cannot do that. He lacks the pace that we need for our striker, he lacks the on ball ability, and he lacks the finishers touch, that we so deperately need. We need to have someone in front of Guevara, who he can link up with up front. We are basically taking away one of Guevara's best attributes, his playmaking ability, with Danny up front. Why take away one of our biggest threats? We're basically taking away 50% of Amado's game at this point in time, making him a one dimensional player.

Dichio either needs to play next to a finisher, or simply, has to sit. If we are going to continue to play with a lone striker up front, and five players in the midfield, then Danny has no place in the formation. He is not the correct player to play as a lone striker in this formation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking the same when Cunny came to TFC, but Cunny is too one dimensional.
    Yes, and that dimension is called shite......he can stick his 97 goals up his lazy fucking ass!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our "offence" as presently constituted is virtually "non existent".

Enough said!
    Loyal - Win, lose or draw!

Weston, Ontario

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he was fuelled by the English weather we had!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, and that dimension is called shite......he can stick his 97 goals up his lazy fucking ass!
    He played back alot today at the reserve game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right so Dichio has scored 8 goals in 25 total appearances for TFC (0.32 gpg)...Flo made 76 appearances for Norway scoring 23 goals (0.30 gpg), which is actually LESS than Dichio's rate, so what's the problem? Also, please keep in mind, Dichio is putting up these numbers at 33 years of age. I think the ONLY knock on Dichio can be his age, BUT he still produces (in ALL facets of the game) big time, considering.
    lol i knew that fact was gonna be brought up, but i was more emphasizing the fact that early in his career (which is why i mentioned 90s) he was a more prolific goal scorer. the norwegian motto was kick it long to flo to score, and it was quite effective, although hard on the eyes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 125_TFC View Post
    Danny Dichio is a very good CF. His ability to knock down balls, control the pace of play, and cause havoc for defenders, is quite good. However a good CF does not make a good striker. A strikers job is to continually put the ball in the back of the net, and Danny cannot do that. He lacks the pace that we need for our striker, he lacks the on ball ability, and he lacks the finishers touch, that we so deperately need. We need to have someone in front of Guevara, who he can link up with up front. We are basically taking away one of Guevara's best attributes, his playmaking ability, with Danny up front. Why take away one of our biggest threats? We're basically taking away 50% of Amado's game at this point in time, making him a one dimensional player.
    Oh boy....it seems a lot of you are faulting Dichio for not having pace, but you cannot fault somebody for a god given talent...you can't teach pace. Dichio is doing the best with his own skillset, and has done a fucking brilliant job in his time here with that skillset, in his centre forward position. As far as "taking away of Guevara's abilities" goes, well Dichio has great football IQ, we see it all the time on the pitch and you can't take that away from him. Knowing where a teammate will pass is just as important as the teammate making that pass, something I think will be of equal or lesser value with another player...certainly less with Cunningham.