Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Seattle nearly conceded own goals twice in 30 seconds in the 90th minute under pressure, then Ciman kissed the post.

So so close to pulling out a result.
    I think that was going in but it took a slight deflection off a Seattle player. So slight, we didn’t get a corner from it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyEnglish View Post
    Reported 71% Passing accuracy for Westberg, impressive considering the mix of playing it long and passing out the back that we saw. Distribution is an area that massively lets Bono down and having a keeper comfortable with the ball at his feet is a massive bonus with the way we set up.
    Thought he could have done better with all three of the goal but let’s see how he does against Minnesota. Hopefully the competition does Bono some good.
    Let’s not forget he charged out and stole the ball off someone’s foot in what looked to a play where two Seattle players were basically in on the keeper. Easily could have been 4-2 had he not made that play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we need to give Westberg a run of games.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anyone think his reaction time / shot blocking was not quite top notch? I'm not sure either way. It depends on the speed of the shots. Also some experienced keepers won't even go for attempts that they don't think they can reach; others will almost always make an effort.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overall, I think it wasn't a bad result, all things considered. 3-2 away against one of the best teams in the league. And the team never gave up after going down 3-1.
    1. Poz and Jozy are magic together. Poz is putting passes onto postage stamps, and both of Jozy`s finishes (especially the toe poke) were high quality.
    2. I was impressed with Westberg, with some good distribution for a change. I don`t think he was at fault on the first two, and on the third one he went down and the player went up. Can`t criticize him for making a choice and committing to it. Bono`s indecision and unwillingness to commit has cost us goals this year
    3. Defence was a weak spot again. We really missed Moor. I have read lots of criticism on the boards on him, but our defence is just not as good without him. I don`t question Vanney`s decision to leave him at home, as we do need to manage his minutes. I do think we could use another CB
    4. I also thought Laryea should have been given a run out.
    5. Was a little confused by the Morgan sub. Regardless of Vanney`s plan, I don`t think it panned out (and like others, I also think Ashtone is a great guy). I do think that substitutions are often an area of challenge for Vanney

This team is miles ahead of where we were in 2018, both in terms of points, but also quality on the field. We aren`t where we were in 2017, but we have something to build on here. And if we make a few good additions, maybe getting close to 2017 quality isn`t out of reach.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked the way Westberg came out into a crowd & got a good punch on the ball. That has been hit & miss with Bono.

Also Westberg's part in our own 2nd goal was significant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Come on guys, take the Jozy debate elsewhere, every game thread it's the same thing, it spirals beyond the actual game analysis
    Sorry, pulled myself into it there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our right side was constantly targeted by Seattle. Throwing Laryea in to play defence against Rodriguez and company would have resulted in the same result if not worse.

Overall not a bad performance but we need to get a win next game to build on our confidence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It kills me to say this but Marky just has to sit.

He is not able to handle pressure, almost inevitably making back passes... I think he is a big part of the back line problem too. Balance is important, if you have a weak link, the guys behind the weak link start getting pulled out of position... which happened repeatedly yesterday.

I think Marky is a versatile utility sub, maybe for Bradley (that is another problem, Bradley cannot automatically go 90, he isn’t 26 years old anymore)

We do need that winger. It was glaring yesterday. We are a pretty good team otherwise.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-14-2019 at 10:42 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TAM CB, and FFS play Poz behind Jozy, not up top. He needs to be back far enough to receive the outlet.

Also, yeah, we need someone else up top with Jozy / ready to replace Jozy. But CB first. (I would have just switched Oso and Poz in the formation, today)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is not able to handle pressure, almost inevitably making back passes... I think he is a big part of the back line problem too. Balance is important, if you have a weak link, the guys behind the weak link start getting pulled out of position... which happened repeatedly yesterday.

I think Marky is a versatile utility sub, maybe for Bradley (that is another problem, Bradley cannot automatically go 90, he isn’t 26 years old anymore)

We do need that winger. It was glaring yesterday. We are a pretty good team otherwise.
    Noticed last couple of games he has looked weak on the ball (much better at winning the ball back though). That lack of sharpness in possession from him, and Osorio to a lesser degree, made that an uphill battle for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    Noticed last couple of games he has looked weak on the ball (much better at winning the ball back though). That lack of sharpness in possession from him, and Osorio to a lesser degree, made that an uphill battle for us.
    We lost yesterday because Vanney didn't adjust tactically to Seattle's changes at halftime. Both of the quick goals came from attacking the right flank because they realized Morrow was hanging high and there was always room, because Zavaleta wasn't filling the space quickly, and the other CBs weren't shifting over.

So Smetzer targeted that area and when it worked once, we still didn't adjust to a flat four or to temporary cover.

Marky's a good player, I don't think he needs to sit. Chapman and Osorio are both more offensive than d, and the other alternative there is Liam Fraser, who is just starting his career. I don't think Seattle is the place to play him. Everyone has games where they cough it up occasionally, but the reality is that it was a really even midfield battle most of the time.

The bigger issue we have in the midfield is that we have three two-way players in Bradley, DeLeon and Delgado, and it leads to more occasions when our three center halfs have to deal with runners breaking on. And none of our guys are built for that other than Mavinga, really.

We need a wrecker in the midfield, a guy whose only job is to sit ahead of the line. Can't play three at the back without it or we're going to get run over every game.

I also think a winger is, while needed, not our biggest problem. We need a Defensive Midfielder. The 3-5-2 is bar none our best offense over the last three years. The diamond is the backup, but we have four CBs on staff, so we should be able to handle that (I mean, it presumes we get rid of Zavaleta at some point, because...)
    Last edited by jloome; 04-14-2019 at 12:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    We lost yesterday because Vanney didn't adjust tactically to Seattle's changes at halftime. Both of the quick goals came from attacking the right flank because they realized Morrow was hanging high and there was always room, because Zavaleta wasn't filling the space quickly, and the other CBs weren't shifting over.

So Smetzer targeted that area and when it worked once, we still didn't adjust to a flat four or to temporary cover.

Marky's a good player, I don't think he needs to sit. Chapman and Osorio are both more offensive than d, and the other alternative there is Liam Fraser, who is just starting his career. I don't think Seattle is the place to play him. Everyone has games where they cough it up occasionally, but the reality is that it was a really even midfield battle most of the time.

The bigger issue we have in the midfield is that we have three two-way players in Bradley, DeLeon and Delgado, and it leads to more occasions when our three center halfs have to deal with runners breaking on. And none of our guys are built for that other than Mavinga, really.

We need a wrecker in the midfield, a guy whose only job is to sit ahead of the line. Can't play three at the back without it or we're going to get run over every game.

I also think a winger is, while needed, not our biggest problem. We need a Defensive Midfielder. The 3-5-2 is bar none our best offense over the last three years. The diamond is the backup, but we have four CBs on staff, so we should be able to handle that (I mean, it presumes we get rid of Zavaleta at some point, because...)
    Agree, we do need another Mavinga type player badly. For a DM, Delgado or Bradley could have been re-purposed. Delgado has the range, and tenacity, and apparently no offensive ambitions. IMO, his weakness on the ball recently takes away from our offensive efforts.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

So Smetzer targeted that area and when it worked once, we still didn't adjust to a flat four
    We went to a 4 at the half. The space on the 3rd goal happened because Ciman got caught up & Bradley didn't track back.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    Agree, we do need another Mavinga type player badly. For a DM, Delgado or Bradley could have been re-purposed. Delgado has the range, and tenacity, and apparently no offensive ambitions. IMO, his weakness on the ball recently takes away from our offensive efforts.
    we don't need an another Mavinga. we need a younger, commanding CB who can organize the defence like Moor
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn't agree more about Marky. I had seen enough after the first 2 mins, when he turned it over for the second time...don't know how thats even possible. All game, he just gives the ball away. Maybe a few games as a sub would do him well. Hopefully we get another player that keeps him there most games. He can provide something at times, and i do like him as a sub, but he's been struggling for a while now.

Feel pretty good about the rest of the team overall though. I have the same sentiments as many regarding defending, but i'm hoping it will come together in time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    we don't need an another Mavinga. we need a younger, commanding CB who can organize the defence like Moor
    Even better, and we will need more than one, since both Moor and Ciman are on the last legs.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMAN80 View Post
    Couldn't agree more about Marky. I had seen enough after the first 2 mins, when he turned it over for the second time...don't know how thats even possible. All game, he just gives the ball away. Maybe a few games as a sub would do him well. Hopefully we get another player that keeps him there most games. He can provide something at times, and i do like him as a sub, but he's been struggling for a while now.

Feel pretty good about the rest of the team overall though. I have the same sentiments as many regarding defending, but i'm hoping it will come together in time.
    Someone like Piette would look so good right now, a destroyer sitting in front of the defence, making simple passes out of pressure. Two years ago, no one in their right mind would have considered a one-for-one swap of Delgado for Piette.

As much as it pains me to say it, I'd take Piette as a replacement for Bradley right now.

That said, how hard is it to find a Piette clone overseas who wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I too want a Koulibaly. Unfortunately, we play in MLS. The type of CBs you want in your description is easily a DP type that would command 8 million a year. Maybe you can, but if his ball dribbling is no good, then our build up suffers as a result.

We play in a league with a structure that forces us to choose between tall and commanding, or quick and rash. Or a good ball playing CB that can command, but has an attitude issue that makes van der Wiel look docile in comparison. The type of CBs we can afford are going to be flawed, that's the reality of the salary cap system.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    I too want a Koulibaly.
    I was watching the Napoli/Arsenal game last night on DAZN on demand and was thinking, man would be nice to have a Koulibaly on TFC then I come on this thread this morning. Haha.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    I too want a Koulibaly. Unfortunately, we play in MLS. The type of CBs you want in your description is easily a DP type that would command 8 million a year. Maybe you can, but if his ball dribbling is no good, then our build up suffers as a result.

We play in a league with a structure that forces us to choose between tall and commanding, or quick and rash. Or a good ball playing CB that can command, but has an attitude issue that makes van der Wiel look docile in comparison. The type of CBs we can afford are going to be flawed, that's the reality of the salary cap system.
    Within MLS you can find domestic CBs who can organize. You don't have to go international.

There are younger Drew Moors in MLS

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oliver Platt had a good article about domestic CBs on the weekend.

https://www.wakingthered.com/2019/4/...entre-back-mls