Page 3 of 191 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Don't forget that TFC will get allocation $$$ for missing the playoffs PLUS allocation $$$ for being in the CCL. Plus there's the annual bump-up in the salary budget under the CBA.

The salary budget will be significantly higher this year without shedding anyone. If TFC trades/drops a few players on top of that they can improve the team in those weak areas.
    Hernandez will be dropped.
    Zavaleta should be dropped

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I think Hagglund would jump at the chance to move home since he's won the treble here already.

What? Why do you say that? what's the reason other than he was born there?
    Columbus is in such a state of flux why would any player want to go to that unstable environment?

The guy has an opportunity to play for trophies here. CCL is almost a guarantee if the team plays like it can. Columbus training facilities and amenities can't even compete with TFC's. He's a young guy in a young city with a crew he seems happy with.

I don't get why he would jump at the chance to move to Columbus?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Columbus is in such a state of flux why would any player want to go to that unstable environment?

The guy has an opportunity to play for trophies here. CCL is almost a guarantee if the team plays like it can. Columbus training facilities and amenities can't even compete with TFC's. He's a young guy in a young city with a crew he seems happy with.

Cincinnati bro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bez and Manning speaking to media right now. Vanney soon. Rather than clutter this with a bunch of tweets I'll summarize.

Bez:

- We're going to take a close look at how we approach pre-season and crafting the schedule with the league.
    - Discussions will be held with the DPs about their contracts (as per Joshua Kloke it sounds like these discussions haven't been had yet).
    - Don't expect a massive overhaul in the roster.
    - Really missed Moor and Mavinga. Need more consistency in defensive line and depth needs to be better when needed to step up.
    - Off-season priority is "finding guys that can keep balls out of the back of our net".
    - Talks about Aketxe's future are ongoing.
    - Feels both Auro & Janson want to be back.
    - Adding a CB during the summer window was never a consideration because the team thought they'd be getting Moor and Mavinga back from injury.
    - Heading into next year the club has 13 guaranteed contracts, 11 options, 2 players out of contract, 1 free agent and 2 loan options. There are decisions to be made and some of these decisions will likely make room for needed roster upgrades.

Manning:

- We want to be a club that competes in multiple championships. We need to be better in rotating the squad. Larger base of available players will be needed.
    - Last year the team had a singular focus: Win MLS Cup. We lost that singular focus after losing CCL.
    - The team needs to get back to making defense a priority.
    - Have to improve the defense; looking to bring in someone that can command the backline.
    - Also want to add an attacking player; can't count on Osorio to have another goal-scoring season like this one
    - We will be amongst the highest spenders in the league thanks to MLSE. They've given us the leeway to spend.
    - Moor and Mavinga only played twice together all year.
    - "Not at all" a discussion to bring in a new coach.
    - Grass at BMO has already been ripped up. Hybrid pitch being installed. We made "a series of errors" in regards to the pitch that negatively impacted our players. Tried to grow grass at the end of last season instead of laying down sod, the CCL games at the start of the year really tore that up.
    - We have to improve TFC II. Putting them in new USL League One gives them a better environment for success. They will be playing at the BMO Training Ground.
    - No CCL matches at Rogers Centre.

Vanney:

- Learned a lot from last year, especially in regards to CCL. Need to find the right pieces this off-season, including in terms of character and leadership.
    - Went to Mexico for pre-season to play good opponents and train at altitude, but the intensity at which you can train goes down. Will stay at sea level for this pre-season.
    - We never really got healthy or built momentum this season.
    - We need players that can play in wide areas. If you can't make opponents respect the wide areas, you can't play through the middle.
    - We had a lot of blocks of playing six games in 18 days, more than anyone in league history. Risk of injury goes up 33% in those blocks. We were in a cycle of running players into the ground.
    - Not been contacted about vacant U.S. men's national team job

Will continue editing as quotes come in
    Last edited by notthesun; 10-30-2018 at 10:50 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Cincinnati bro

oh right, those guys.

But still - most of what i said still applies. Maybe if his career stalls or TFC dump him, then sure, I could see him wanting to go there. But I don't see him jumping ship to go there. TFC isn't as shit as people make them out to be. This is no longer a place players are running from. They are running here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure Haglund already knows he is going somewhere. He's likely been told he won't be left protected for the draft & probably been told Cincy has some interest.

The wistfull walk to the south end on Sunday after the shirt give away is the tell.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post

I think when talking about Nick Hagglund going home, we are talking about FC Cincinnati, that’s how I would look at it, an expansion draft target.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the presser today with management. They confirm they are after reinforcements in wide areas. Noted teams often defend us narrowly and hit on the counter.

Also: CB on the top of the list and likely multiple moves out / options not picked up with existing players.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I'm pretty sure Haglund already knows he is going somewhere. He's likely been told he won't be left protected for the draft & probably been told Cincy has some interest.

The wistfull walk to the south end on Sunday after the shirt give away is the tell.
    No way he'd be protected.

If he's picked in the expansion draft (no guarantee though) he'll be gone. Otherwise he could very well stay.
    If I'm Bez I'd prefer the allocation $$$ you get for losing a player in the draft.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Hagglund leaves then I think Zavaleta will stay. After hearing the type of centreback they're after (vocal and a leader) it sounds like they want a Drew Moor replacement. There's no way they try to replace Moor, Hernandez, Hagglund, and Zavaleta. That's way too much turnover.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So who are we protecting? Kind of a key question.

Assuming that the rules are the same as last year (strangely there seems to be nothing on this out there, anyone know for sure?), we can protect 11 plus homegrown (Chapman, Morgan, Hamilton). GA excluded, but we have none of those...

“Obvious” (8):
    Bradley
    Giovinco
    Osorio
    Mavinga
    Delgado
    Bono
    Morrow
    One of Altidore/Janson (ie Janson only stays if Jozy is going)

“Tougher call (need to expose at least one)” (4):
    Auro
    Vazquez
    Bakero
    Hagglund

“Definitely exposed”:
    Zavaleta
    Ricketts
    Moor
    Irwin

————————

As others have speculated, I could easily see them exposing Hagglund here. I think it's between him and Auro, given comments today about needing wide players.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-30-2018 at 12:57 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    So who are we protecting? Kind of a key question.

Assuming that the rules are the same as last year (strangely there seems to be nothing on this out there, anyone know for sure?), we can protect 11 plus homegrown (Chapman, Morgan, Hamilton). GA excluded, but we have none of those...

“Obvious” (8):
    Bradley
    Giovinco
    Osorio
    Mavinga
    Delgado
    Bono
    Morrow
    One of Altidore/Janson (ie Janson only stays if Jozy is going)

“Tougher call (need to expose at least one)” (4):
    Auro
    Vazquez
    Bakero
    Hagglund

“Definitely exposed”:
    Zavaleta
    Ricketts
    Moor
    Irwin

————————

As others have speculated, I could easily see them exposing Hagglund here. I think it's between him and Auro, given comments today about needing wide players.
    As much as it seems to be both Zavs and Hagglund are on the outs, I personally feel that if Bez can work it out keeping Hagglund over Zavaleta and letting Moor have one more year to teach him how to lead the back line it will be worth it in the long haul. Hagglund has the tools to be within the Moor mould.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why protect Janson? You can just want until after the expansion draft to formally sign him. If the other team swoops in they are left holding a worthless purchase option for well above market value.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way he'd be protected.

If he's picked in the expansion draft (no guarantee though) he'll be gone. Otherwise he could very well stay.
    If I'm Bez I'd prefer the allocation $$$ you get for losing a player in the draft.
    Same thing we said about Ben Spencer last year, still don't know why he was protected, who knows.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Same thing we said about Ben Spencer last year, still don't know why he was protected, who knows.
    Spencer was automatically protected as a Homegrown Player.

Our protected and unprotected players from last year are here: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...rotected-lists

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Why protect Janson? You can just want until after the expansion draft to formally sign him. If the other team swoops in they are left holding a worthless purchase option for well above market value.
    Well, either there is a deal to be done for him in Argentina at a price that works for an MLS team, or there isn't. (The buyout clause isn’t relevant, if there is a deal it’s at a negotiated number that makes sense)

If I am Cincinnati, I can easily imagine that I might love to step into our shoes on that deal - in fact, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if that happens here. Could be a good value DP.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are all our contract statuses which I just worked out according to the numbers Bez provided. Pretty confident these are correct, this includes everyone on our 2018 roster (here).

Under contract for 2019 (13 players):

- Giovinco (1 year left)
    - Bradley (1 year left)
    - Altidore (1 year left)
    - Vazquez (multi-year extension signed beginning in 2018)
    - Aketxe (assuming he was signed to a multi-year deal when bought)
    - Mavinga (multi-year extension signed beginning in 2018)
    - Van der Wiel (assuming he was signed to a multi-year deal when bought)
    - Osorio (multi-year extension signed mid-2018)
    - Morrow (multi-year extension signed beginning in 2018)
    - Zavaleta (multi-year extension signed beginning in 2018)
    - Bono (signed extension mid-2018)
    - Fraser (signed Homegrown deal beginning in 2018, typically these are 2 years + an option)
    - Akinola (same as Fraser)

Contract options for 2019 (11 players):

- Moor (re-signed for 1 year after 2017 season and it was announced to have an option for 2018)
    - Hagglund (signed multi-year extension beginning in 2017, if it was a 2 year deal he'd be up for an option now)
    - Irwin (re-signed beginning in 2017 and was listed as being under contract for last year's end-of-season contract announcement, so he'd be up for an option now)
    - Delgado (same as Irwin)
    - Morgan (here and below, process of elimination for those remaining in this category)
    - Ricketts
    - Baquero
    - Patterson-Sewell
    - Dunn
    - Telfer
    - Daniels

Out of contract (2 players):

- Chapman (had option exercised prior to start of 2018 season)
    - Hamilton (same as Chapman)

Free agent (1 player):

- Hernandez

Loan options (2 players):

- Auro
    - Janson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Well, either there is a deal to be done for him in Argentina at a price that works for an MLS team, or there isn't. (The buyout clause isn’t relevant, if there is a deal it’s at a negotiated number that makes sense)

If I am Cincinnati, I can easily imagine that I might love to step into our shoes on that deal - in fact, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if that happens here. Could be a good value DP.
    You don’t have to protect loan guys. Cause Janson and Auro can just say no I’m not going there and their parent club will try to make a deal with Toronto. They don’t have contracts to tie them with Cincinnati. I think they protect Moor, and then either pickup his option, or rework his deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is Manning talking about regarding bmo training ground for tfc 3?
    i don't understand? where is this field? the ex?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    what is Manning talking about regarding bmo training ground for tfc 3?
    i don't understand? where is this field? the ex?
    TFC 2 is going to play up at the BMO training ground in Downsview as against at Lamport.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    You don’t have to protect loan guys. Cause Janson and Auro can just say no I’m not going there and their parent club will try to make a deal with Toronto. They don’t have contracts to tie them with Cincinnati. I think they protect Moor, and then either pickup his option, or rework his deal.
    No. I am pretty sure that is incorrect. TFC have the Discovery Rights to Janson and Auro. No one else in MLS can sign them until they are released/waived/etc

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kendall Waston wants out of Vancouver. anyone know what he gets paid?

I'd take him as hes strong aerially and scores often. Can be red card prone as well but with the right players around him maybe he'll have a better temperament.

Waston has tallied 14 goals and four assists in 114 regular-season games in Vancouver.

That's a heck of a lot of goals and not including his game winning goals for Costa Rica recently.

https://www.tsn.ca/i-want-to-leave-v...home-1.1201010
    Last edited by DinamoTFC; 10-30-2018 at 05:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    if you heard bez today.he said they are probs not going to have a expansion draft.they will probably jus give more allo to cinci.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does everyone mention Kendal Waston? I’d much rather have Walker Zimmerman.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    if you heard bez today.he said they are probs not going to have a expansion draft.they will probably jus give more allo to cinci.
    To me it soinded more like teams like TFC that lost a player to the draft last year will be exempted this year, which isn't at all the same thing.

MLS did list an expansion draft in their calendar, date TBD.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    TFC 2 is going to play up at the BMO training ground in Downsview as against at Lamport.
    Yeah they are putting up a 1,500 seat or so stadium/grandstand. Figure it will be something modular, pretty simple. With the move up to the training ground, figure they have basically given up on any financial returns for the USL side. I wonder if they will even go through the effort of ticketing these games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me it soinded more like teams like TFC that lost a player to the draft last year will be exempted this year, which isn't at all the same thing.

MLS did list an expansion draft in their calendar, date TBD.
    This would be nice but I doubt the league has put something in place. SKC lost a man in back to back drafts.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    This would be nice but I doubt the league has put something in place. SKC lost a man in back to back drafts.
    Did you listen to the interview? It sounds like the owners are considering a change. Now whether that goes through is another thing.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would Waston be worth picking up? (ps the Whitecaps seem quite a mess)

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/mls...ston-1.4884976

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yesterday, following on Twitter, the Vancouver Whitecaps post season press sessions (wow, what a mess of a team!), the name of Tim Parker came up. Questions on whether he forced the trade to NYRB for Felipe or whether front office wanted him gone arose. Have to admit that when I watched the replay of NYRB Orlando on DAZN Monday, the thought that TFC needs a Tim Parker type of player crossed my mind....