Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Hamilton

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jordan Hamilton

The story of a Scarborough kid who managed to stay out of trouble and sign for TFC. Very well made video. https://youtu.be/_41q7WuEEcE
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It annoys me that Vanney didn't give him any minutes this year when he had plenty of opportunities.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    It annoys me that Vanney didn't give him any minutes this year when he had plenty of opportunities.
    He's still very young and quite far down the depth chart. If he keeps working hard, he'll get his chance, particularly in the early stages of the CCL would be likely.

I really like these all for one videos. Beautifully done and gets the feel of the players. I particularly like the scene of Hamilton high fiving the ball girls as the supporters flags are waving in the background.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-07-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    Same. He did well with the time he was given so it was frustrating seeing Spencer thrown in a couple of times when Hamilton has shown far more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    He's still very young and quite far down the depth chart. If he keeps working hard, he'll get his chance, particularly in the early stages of the CCL would be likely.

I really like these all for one videos. Beautifully done and gets the feel of the players. I particularly like the scene of Hamilton high fiving the ball girls as the supporters flags are waving in the background.
    The TFC media people are doing a great job developing a 'mystique' around the club via the local kids' stories.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been thinking about Hamilton based on an interview I heard with Wondo, who just set the MLS all time goal scoring record.

When people talk about Wondo - he's not that fast, not that strong, not great in the air, not that anything really, just efficient, with great footwork... it sounds like they are describing Hamilton.

Did you know that it took Wondo 6 years to become a starter, and he had only seven goals in his first 5 years in MLS.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/players/chris-

Wondo says he needed that long to blossom, and he had great teachers - Dero, Brian Ching, Stuart Holden.

I am saying all this because, when we get this winger in, whoever he is, I hope we consider that individual's role in mentoring, and I hope Hamilton stays a relevant part of the rotation.

Strikers can take a long time to mature.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This year's Hamilton is better than last year's Hamilton as long as that continues year after year I'd keep him

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His situation is an odd one. He has improved from last year but as of now, he still isn't good enough.

The issue is that as long as he improves we should keep him but he will only improve so much if he doesn't start/play significant minutes off the bench. However, if we intend on winning then he shouldn't be starting or getting significant minutes because we should have someone more reliable.

And looking to next season and beyond, the CBA rumblings are all about improving the mid-tier talent level in MLS as it's next wave of growth. If it happens as they are describing then a player like Hamilton would occupy one of the supplemental spots at best. Probably better to loan him to CPL if we think he is a late bloomer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Hamilton is a decent player in a 2 forward formation. On his own he struggles, I dont know the numbers but he scored goals when he was playing with Jozy or Ayo this year.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He's only good if you don't need him to score a goal. Meaning they are leading the match or there is someone better on the pitch who will probably score (like jozy)
    If he scores then bonus! otherwise, best to rely on someone else to score for us.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wondo has a work effort & an understanding of space that I don't think Hamilton has.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Wondo has a work effort & an understanding of space that I don't think Hamilton has.
    Dunno yet.

But there are definitely 5 or 10 Wondo-type players for every actual Wondo.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hamilton would be great in CPL. TFC should loan him out to York 9

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo1985 View Post
    York9 desperately needs someone like Hamilton. That's not to necessarily say that's the best way to develop him. I actually feel that if he has Wondo-like possibilities he should be kept with the first team as long as he gets a lot of subs and the occasional start.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    York9 desperately needs someone like Hamilton. That's not to necessarily say that's the best way to develop him. I actually feel that if he has Wondo-like possibilities he should be kept with the first team as long as he gets a lot of subs and the occasional start.
    If he moves to CPL - it'll be a permanent move. The guy can score in lower level soccer. he needs to score in MLS now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. Unfortunately he's not up to MLS lewvel at the moment. He's in the most difficulkt position on the pitch (with keeper), but you've got to put those chances away if you'rr a centre forward.
    He could do very well at CPL, and the who knows?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is there to score goals, he can do that if the ball is placed at his feet and the goalkeeper nips off for a drink.

Otherwise I think he is lazy, I see old hands like Josy back defending then seconds later scoring, JH just stays in his area of the field and waits, he is patient tho I give him that

When he was league one player with Danny D as coach he was best at coming on as a sub and winning games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leedsoronto View Post
    Otherwise I think he is lazy, I see old hands like Josy back defending then seconds later scoring, JH just stays in his area of the field and waits, he is patient tho I give him that
    I think part of this comes from lack of confidence that he can get back into the space he needs to be in when the attack turns, as well as his inability to beat defenders while handling the ball.
    If he stays up at half and goes for a run, he has a better chance.

He does need to be getting more involved and taking these risks to grow as a player though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo1985 View Post
    He’s done with that level. He’s consistently shown he can score there. It’s either put up at the MLS level or make a permanent move down with no attachment to TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by samuraizero View Post
    He does need to be getting more involved and taking these risks to grow as a player though
    Does any young player under Vanney have the freedom to do this? We seem to encourage system play above all else.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hamilton has no dribbling skills at all & the talk of a long range boot is something that I have never seen from him in MLS. He is a mediocre 6 yard box poacher and that's it. Problem is that he is rarely in the 6 yard box and when he is, he stands around ball watching.

He may not be lazy but he does look it. I would say that he is more confused and has no idea where to be or where to run so he gets caught in bad positions, flat footed a lot. Strikers can be improved with training but I am not sure he has the instincts to be even bench quality in an evolving MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

enjoy him people because he will be our striker for 4 to 5 games during the gold cup.horrible roster management.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather see Boyd. I doubt Boyd will ever score and his touch is shit but at least he wins aerials and aggressively runs into the box and draws defenders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its going to be a long month of june and early july,thk god most of the games will be on the road,no jozy, bradley and oso

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hamilton scores, for us and everywhere else. Thats not his issue, although he is in a bit of a slump right now. i've been watching him closely, and his last couple of games he looked shorn of position confidence if that makes sense - before that there were two or three games where he made excellent runs and was repeatedly ignored by the midfield. That needs to be fixed, and as I have argued in match threads, he needs to play in a "2" not a "1-1"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Hamilton has no dribbling skills at all & the talk of a long range boot is something that I have never seen from him in MLS. He is a mediocre 6 yard box poacher and that's it. Problem is that he is rarely in the 6 yard box and when he is, he stands around ball watching.

He may not be lazy but he does look it. I would say that he is more confused and has no idea where to be or where to run so he gets caught in bad positions, flat footed a lot. Strikers can be improved with training but I am not sure he has the instincts to be even bench quality in an evolving MLS.
    Whoever said that is probably thinking of the goal away to SKC last season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Hamilton scores, for us and everywhere else. Thats not his issue, although he is in a bit of a slump right now. i've been watching him closely, and his last couple of games he looked shorn of position confidence if that makes sense - before that there were two or three games where he made excellent runs and was repeatedly ignored by the midfield. That needs to be fixed, and as I have argued in match threads, he needs to play in a "2" not a "1-1"
    Even in the last game Jozy was back playmaking and providing some creativity, which meant we had to resort to other players scoring.

Putting Hamilton up front by himself and starting him is never going to achieve results. He is better playing up top with someone else preferably off the bench and where the other player is able to give him something to work with.

When everything is clicking everywhere else on the pitch, against weaker opposition, as a sub, and with other people to play off — he’s okay as a depth player.

Unfortunately his skill set is incredibly limited, he has very little confidence, isn’t particularly fast, isn’t particularly technically gifted, and doesn’t have a great sense of the game or a great football IQ.

If the reason he lacked minutes before as was stated is accurate, then he really squandered a lot of his own development time as well as getting more minutes playing while we were good.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think we can keep using confidence as an excuse. The guy has been at the club for like 5 years and has had lots of opportunities. He re-signed this year, scored 2 goals against Minnesota to win the game and then gets to start 3 games in a row.
    I agree he no good as a lone striker but if he's having confidence issues this much maybe it's cause he's not good enough. His role is a super sub like ricketts was.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    That needs to be fixed, and as I have argued in match threads, he needs to play in a "2" not a "1-1"
    He was part of a 3 man front for a decent stretch last match and managed nothing other than mistiming his runs (as in standing still) and losing the ball because he can't dribble to save his life. The only reason he scores is because goalkeepers and defenders make mistakes and he just happens to be there. It isn't like he has a sense to be in the right place at the right time either. It's mostly by fluke and his inconsistency over 5 years shows that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone must rate his skills highly at TFC as he gets resigned every year.

good luck to him I guess, this year is his year to shine that’s one thing we can all agree on