Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really wonder how much TFC are going to spend on a DP in this pandemic world

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Considering the wealth of our owners it might be a very good idea to invest heavily on a striker to gain an advantage in a cash-strapped league. Strike while the iron is hot. There's lots of money to be made later on when everything goes back to normal again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does the team really need a new starting LB? Why not put Auro there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to be able to review the club's financial statements for 2020. I wouldn't be surprised if the net losses were in the mid 8 figures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did the players get the full salaries this season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Considering the wealth of our owners it might be a very good idea to invest heavily on a striker to gain an advantage in a cash-strapped league. Strike while the iron is hot. There's lots of money to be made later on when everything goes back to normal again.
    Just keep in mind folks though that the new DP rules are expected to kick in for next season. That being that one of the DPs cannot be paid more then next season's maximum budget charge plus $1 million, so probably for no more then $1.7 million. Unless if one of the DPs is under the age of 23.

Or they can somehow move Altidore off the roster (or changes him to TAM status). And that in my humble opinion will be quite difficult. Unless the board @ MLSE agrees to pay him a buyout, which I estimate to be at least $10 million (USD).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We could be in for the craziest off-season since we got Defoe. Vanney and Altidore are both looking like big time situations to watch. I am not sure I could stay off Twitter if we were looking for a manager and two DPs this winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Until there's some sign that Ali Curtis has a clue with respect to finding and signing talent, I have little faith that not exercising Piatti's option was the right move. If he re-signs as a TAM, fine, I'm wrong. But he won't. He'll go to the Saudi League.

Averaged over a full season, he's a fifteen-point winger. Regardless of whether it's TAM or DP, we'll never get that without paying to the cap max, as far as the salary charge.

And he plays well with Pozuelo, who will be pissed if he's gone.

Unless he already has someone lined up, it seems shortsighted.

Again, before anyone suggests it's easy to replace that kind of production on the wing, I'd suggest looking throughout the league. It's not.

And we re-signed Julian Dunn to the first team? Why? Unless he had one stellar off year that we didn't see, he has no future at the MLS level.

The jury is most definitely still out on Curtis. Jesse Marsch couldn't work with him and I highly doubt he'll do us any good. So far, we have basically nothing to show for his three years as GM other than Pozuelo, who was a top player and a can't miss at this level, whom they hired by throwing the (then) league's top salary at him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're contracted by the year, not by games played, so of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    IIRC, in the CBA eventually agreed (prior to the return to play), there was a salary cut of somewhere of 5-10%, I believe.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The players agreed to salary cuts for 2020 (after lots of pressure, as MLS didn't include any kind of force majeure clause in the contract).

https://ca.reuters.com/article/idUSL4N2DE0WF

I am also worried about Curtis. On here people are quick to say who to dump; less so on who to sign instead. Thanks to noxx98 for scouting some wingers. Beyond that I believe we have other weak spots. E.g. Mavinga is guaranteed to be injured for part of next season, and Gonzalez looked pretty shaky and past it this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curtis will have that third DP by September at the rate he gets transfers done. I do have my questions about him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the fact that he likes this oft injured older core worries me,i dont think he will make bold moves,i miss TL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bhandsome90 View Post
    Does the team really need a new starting LB? Why not put Auro there?
    The team needs an additional left/right back. They're spoiled that Richie and Auro can play either side, although best with Auro on the left and Riche on the right. Even if Morrow comes back they'll need another body to work around injuries over the course of the season. The team had been working Griffin Dorsey in as a right back, but I think it would be good to have him as a 5th option.

Once we get the full list of MLS free agents I think we can go hunting for some depth pieces in defence. We were able to get Richie, DeLeon, Morrow, Moor, and Beita from MLS free agency or smaller trades with other MLS teams. Think we can fill in some depth holes that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the fact that he likes this oft injured older core worries me,i dont think he will make bold moves,i miss TL
    He was in a tough spot when he joined the team. We were built with an older core ready to win and hadn't really worked in any youth players prior to his joining. If he decided to fully turn the team over to youth players when he joined we'd be on him for tossing away a winning team. It made sense to try and retool with the older team the past two years and try to win. Now we need to turn over some of the older players, and build for the future. However I think the future can be next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think he will make bold moves,he seems conservative and doesnt have a world cache,we have been looking for a back up striker for 2 years and mullins was the best he can do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with JLoome about Curtis and Piatti. Unless we have a very direct line on an actual DP winger, Piatti fit in extremely well, worked hard defensively off the ball, and was a critical link with Poz up front. An extra couple of 100,000 for that over is TAM salary is irrelevant - UNLESS we have a line on an actual DP winger - and I am not confident in Curtis to land that. I hope I am wrong.

we should also be bringing Morrow back. And if we need an LB there is a certain A Morgan at Salt Lake who bleeds Red. I suppose Gallacher does too, although another teams Red, but he had his chance and didn't convince

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think Bez creates a path to an office position for Ohio born Morrow.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think its safe to say with the MLSE announcement of cut salaries for full time staff & the management & executive reeducations we are not spending any money in 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaviRed View Post
    I think its safe to say with the MLSE announcement of cut salaries for full time staff & the management & executive reeducations we are not spending any money in 2021
    Be pretty stupid from Curtis to publicly announce they were going to get a new DP then not do it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Was expected as soon as Kinnear came to an impasse with the Gals and they named Vanney as their priority.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Be pretty stupid from Curtis to publicly announce they were going to get a new DP then not do it...
    Reducing salary when there are no games in Canada makes sense right now. A lot of people are probably doing nothing, especially on the hockey side which looks like won't be happening for a long, long time.

That kind of thing doesn't affect new acquisitions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess with Vanney gone, we could be seeing the end of Zavaleta since he's out of contract. Right as he started to provide more value in my mind with his last few performances showing improvement. If Vanney goes to the Galaxy, does Zavs go with him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I guess with Vanney gone, we could be seeing the end of Zavaleta since he's out of contract. Right as he started to provide more value in my mind with his last few performances showing improvement. If Vanney goes to the Galaxy, does Zavs go with him?
    I could see Morrow following him. I could also see him trying to get Delgado from us. Osorio too. Can't see that happening though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Uggh, that’s just tough to swallow right now. Just another thing we have to deal with in the off season.

Regarding Piatti: I don’t particularly have a preference as to whether he stays or goes but let me say this: we need a star, someone on Pozuelo’s level in terms of commanding respect from opposing defenders. Our roster needs to be able to accommodate that person, as a top priority.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The jury is most definitely still out on Curtis. Jesse Marsch couldn't work with him and I highly doubt he'll do us any good. So far, we have basically nothing to show for his three years as GM other than Pozuelo, who was a top player and a can't miss at this level, whom they hired by throwing the (then) league's top salary at him.
    Well, I think you can throw in a few items on the low end as well. He should get credit for Laryea and a few others.

Pure speculation but my gut feeling here is Curtis is not a good negotiator and this kills our recruitment on the high end. Maybe he can sort through the details and find bargains but when the agent across the table has a good asset he’s too inflexible. So we’re left with overpaying or seeing a lot of potential deals drag on and eventually die. Then we set our sights on lesser targets that don’t work out (Gallardo).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some 'ITK' people on Twitter hinting that this is just the beginning of people leaving the club. Hopefully that is more like Ali Curtis leaving to go run a coffee shop in New York and less Alejandro Pozuelo not wanting to risk playing in the US next year while his kids are in Canada so he moves to Saudi Arabia.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Some 'ITK' people on Twitter hinting that this is just the beginning of people leaving the club. Hopefully that is more like Ali Curtis leaving to go run a coffee shop in New York and less Alejandro Pozuelo not wanting to risk playing in the US next year while his kids are in Canada so he moves to Saudi Arabia.
    I believe people will be leaving the club and I think the Bradley & Altidore out to start a new DP regime that the new manager has a say in probably has something to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly might be a hard sell to get a top manager when our club is tied to Bradley and Jozy. That’s a lot of roster flexibility gone. Especially for a DP. Jozy is actually a liability. We basically can only have two DPs because Jozy doesn’t do shit anymore.