Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddies View Post
    ... or for the right offer you trade Westberg if he's more marketable with his salary. Probably an unpopular opinion but Bono was a younger inexperienced goalie that made some great saves on our way to the MLS Cup in 2017. Young and relatively inexperienced = mistake prone. I wouldn't be against playing him. He made mistakes last year but to me Bono/Westberg = interchangeable parts. Take the best offer you can get if you need to clear a little cap space. Neither is head and shoulders better than the other. Westberg had a few clunkers last season too. In saying that, having two comparable goalies isn't the worst thing in the world. If you got rid of Bono and Westberg came up lame I'm sure a few people would be on here complaining about Manning/Curtis getting rid of Bono.
    Personally I see Westberg as far ahead of Bono. Better shot stopper, better command of area, better defensive organizer and head and shoulders above Bono for distribution. I only recall Q making 1 error last year leading to a goal, and so rarely gave away possession. Bono is very error prone and just can't kick a football. He's young and will come good again, but he has a year or two on the bench before we see him as a starter again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Red View Post
    Personally I see Westberg as far ahead of Bono. Better shot stopper, better command of area, better defensive organizer and head and shoulders above Bono for distribution. I only recall Q making 1 error last year leading to a goal, and so rarely gave away possession. Bono is very error prone and just can't kick a football. He's young and will come good again, but he has a year or two on the bench before we see him as a starter again.
    I see the comparison a little differently. For me, Bono is a better shot stopper but Q has better command of his area and is better (far better) at distribution than Bono. One would hope that commanding the area can be taught and that Bono can improve distribution (although I doubt he can get to Q's level on distribution; Q is quite above MLS level on distribution) and if so could be serious competition for the starting role. i wouldn't give up on him at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Q is quite above MLS level on distribution) and if so could be serious competition for the starting role. i wouldn't give up on him at all.
    I definitely wouldn't give up on Bono either, I just think he needs to continue to improve quite a bit first. As for Q's distribution, he is outstanding. I don't he he gets the appreciation he maybe deserves for it. Above MLS standard for sure, in fact I'm actually struggling to think of anyone who is significantly better.

You may have noticed I'm a big fan of Westberg. His signing I think was a major reason for the upturn in fortune over 2018.