Page 22 of 197 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking about this overnight

Argos to BMO is inevitable IF a deal can be done to pay for the upgrades.

Such a deal is not in place.

All this kerfuffle is over a report from a reporter who doesn't work either the soccer or the CFL beat.

Braley has denied a deal has been made.

Until i hear a legitimate source (and sorry, a tweet from the staff of Councillor Kelly isn't such a source), I for one am going to take a step back. We are no more ahead on this then we were at the time of the first report that started this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Was Wigan's a hybrid turf?

As for the post above mine, he referenced lines. That's distraction but I was referring to the condition of the hybrid surface itself.
    Go look at the game. The field looked very torn up and poor. First thing I noticed when I turned the TV on
    Last edited by MightyDM; 03-24-2015 at 10:40 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Go look at the game. The filed looked very torn up and poor. First thing I noticed when I turned the TV on
    Wigan isn't hybrid

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan1984 View Post
    Maximum of 10 home games (9 regular season and 1 playoff game) they play there preseason game at varsity. the schedule can work for both. Houston Dallas L.A. Chicago all have some football games played in there stadium at points in the year and all still have grass. Will not be any worse then how the field was at the beginning of last season.
    Every one of your comparisons are not like for like. Those teams don't play entire gridiron schedules. 2 of those teams are in a temperate climate. None of those teams host National sides regularly (more than once a year). And finally both Houston and especially Chicago have had unacceptable surfaces as recent as last season.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    There were a few little things thrown out today across twitter speculating that the move of the Argos to BMO is not being met with universal cheer by TFC brass.

They will never admit it, of course. But I do remember Larson, for one, indicating that TFC brass are anxious to continue to be able to draw good players, and don't want the field to be an issue.

On another note, I don't think Braley gives 2 bits of cat dung about what happens to TFC if his team is playing at BMO. And he probably cares even less to acquiesce to MLSE beyond the contractual. Good thing MLSE has great lawyers.
    On these - The TFC Brass comment sounds in line with what I heard from Lieweke who wouldn't confirm or deny but said he'd ensure the best blah blah...prove it to me.

Braley is interesting though. I wouldn't doubt for a second his priority is to get out from under the burden of the Argos by saving them from becoming homeless. But as for the TFC bit I don't think he has it in for any particular Canadian soccer team. He's been caretaker owner for Vancouver for a time. That says nothing about any predispostions he has from business dealings with the organization bit I don't think he has it in for TFC specifically or because they are a soccer team.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by king10 View Post
    The CSA sometimes uses the stadium as little as once per year. Despite it being unoficially the national soccer stadium, I dont think their voice carries much weight. I'm sure they put in a word demanding it be kept grass though. Other than that the Argos moving in for 10 games a year when they use it maybe 3 to 5 times a year probably doesn't really bother them as long as the field remains grass.

Remaining grass with a CFL team there is not feasible. The state of the pitch at the start of every season needs more time to recover than most MLS cities. Put gridiron on it and that "first game of the season" feel will remain for most of the year. The natural grass that the most expensive MLS players and all the National players like could stay but if the quality is "shite" than just down the highway there's a grass pitch where they don't put the gridiron on. The players (minus a few) will want to play here only as long as the grass and quality are here.

This decision can be broken down very easily to me that way. Argos or Canada games.

I know how you feel. Canada is bigger than Toronto and you're right. But I'll be rooting for Canada games in Toronto as long as I live here. Just as I know there's V's elsewhere that can't wait for the team to come to their town.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As the only university left who plays on a grass field, I will agree with above concerns as both our football and soccer teams play on the same field. Throw in practices as well, (unless I missed where the Argos will practice at Varsity) and into the second month the pitch will be destroyed. Obviously the field will still be in better care than what I have here, but after sometime the field will have enough holes that the soccer ball will bounce all over the place and the goalie areas will become mud pits.

Probably been spoken about several times already but thought I would just share from personal background.

Edit: Also, the lines between having both soccer and football confuse the hell out of me when I play. Some Strange reason since it is a grass field, they don't use yellow lines but Dark Blue lines that are close to impossible to see.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
    As the only university left who plays on a grass field, I will agree with above concerns as both our football and soccer teams play on the same field. Throw in practices as well, (unless I missed where the Argos will practice at Varsity) and into the second month the pitch will be destroyed. Obviously the field will still be in better care than what I have here, but after sometime the field will have enough holes that the soccer ball will bounce all over the place and the goalie areas will become mud pits.

Probably been spoken about several times already but thought I would just share from personal background.
    Practice is at Downsview for both teams now.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Don't be surprise to see Men's team playing in Montreal for now. I am sure they don't want to play on football lines and bumpy turf.

So I guess I will be making a lot of trips to Montreal in the near future.

Remember that MLSE gets money from Men's national games played at BMO field as well. So I am trying to avoid spending my money that will go directly to ML$E.
    now you're grasping at straws saying you're already planning to drive up to MTL for MNT games lol. the CSA has a sweetheart deal where they get a large amount of revenue from games at BMO. They aren't going to go to montreal full time with no revenue agreement in place. Not to mention the CSA has built up a large amount of MNT support in the GTA which it doesn't have in other cities. You're already assuming the field is going to be a disaster and the MNT will leave. I think you're over reacting. The quality of Saputos field is nothing to write home about. No undersoil heating. You're already planning to make trips to MTL to support the national team when theres no indication whatsoever soccer canada is going to jump ship from BMO. Take some time to let the dust settle. I dont see the MNT going to MTL.

And yes MLSE gets a percentage of revenue from MNT games at BMO. But sorry thats not going to stop me from supporting my national team. For me its not about MLSE getting 15% of my MNT ticket. Its about my passion to support my country in the worlds game. Make of it what you want. I'm not going to let some corporation get in the way of me and supporting my country. Again, the MNT players did nothing to warrant us abandoning in person support of them in toronto.
    Ya I'm a bit confused by TFC07 lasts sentiment. You want to support Canada and will go to Montreal to support (cool all three of us agree there) but if MLSE gets money from them playing at BMO you wouldn't? (I hope I got that wrong)

But king10 about this deal the CSA has with BMO and the once "National Soccer Stadium" I don't believe that contract would be worth much when the first players or coach say the pitch is unbearable. It's not like Montreal didn't host games since 07. Sweet deal or no, if they don't want to play there, they won't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still shocks me how the Argos couldnt strike a deal with UfT or any other university to split a stadium....

I think we should bring banners to all TFC games saying we dont want the argos invading our home...i think if we can make this a big issue and the media starts to roll with it, it could cause sponsors to start questioning there involvement with TFC

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here's the thing, I am planning to get rid of cable soon and just watch my shows and sports online. So I don't have to pay them any money where I can get my soccer fix online from overseas provider (both legal and illegally) while go to a soccer game or two overseas since I will be saving a lot of money now by not buying season tickets, transportation to go to BMO field and other expenses like food and beer.
    So who is your internet service provider?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Go look at the game. The filed looked very torn up and poor. First thing I noticed when I turned the TV on
    I watched it too. Looked chewed up. But I haven't read any complaints from either side.

They could be out there. Just haven't read it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the fan 590 will be talking about this field issue in the 10am hour

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would expect TFCs soccer brass to not be happy with it.

MLSE's president started this stadium expansion plan with talk of winter classics and grey cups. I imagine he is quite happy with the development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milanista View Post
    Still shocks me how the Argos couldnt strike a deal with UfT or any other university to split a stadium....
    The Argos walked away from a deal with York University in 2004.

U of T walked away from a stadium deal as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on now 590, talking about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can you imagine the fieldgets chopped up and during a TFC game it causes a serious injury? this could get ugly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And its funny that the Jays want the Argos out bc they are getting grass, when a quality pitch means alot more in footy than in baseball

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And its funny that the Jays want the Argos out bc they are getting grass, when a quality pitch means alot more in footy than in baseball
    That's hilarious part of all this mess.

Rogers knows full well that Argos can't play on grass because they will tear it up so they're kicking them out. But yet, TL and co think Argos can co-exist with TFC with "Hybrid" turf even though there's clear evidence that suggest it will be disaster to have football team to play on hybrid turf.

I personally can't wait to hear sale pitch end of this season. Right now, there's no real benefit you get from being TFC SSH especially when you compare to other MLS teams where they give tons of benefits to their SSH base.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    i follow football really closely.
    and it is a fact that CFL teams are excited to scoop up NFL castoffs that were the 4th or 5th receiver, or on the practice squad.
    Wagner, that is so harsh. MLS can be viewed as the exact same thing.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont know about that.

Ask all the MLB baseball players if they'd rather play on Rogers Centre Turf or grass (Melky Cabrera).

Ask Michael Saunders about how quality of the pitch (and positioning of sprinkler heads) means to him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    So who is your internet service provider?
    You got me there (I am with Rogers), but it's impossible to get away from Rogers (and Bell) completely since they own everything in this country thanks to protectionist laws in this country who don't like competition especially coming from outside of this country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Jeff Blair is on our side, talking about how football is a dying sport and footy is a growing sport plus women play as much as men do...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playing baseball on a slightly chopped up GRASS field, rather than turf is a big difference.

Plus sprinkler heads are not an issues in a world class facility, he got hurt in some dinky stadium in florida, so i dont agree with your points.

I dont know about that.

Ask all the MLB baseball players if they'd rather play on Rogers Centre Turf or grass (Melky Cabrera).

Ask Michael Saunders about how quality of the pitch (and positioning of sprinkler heads) means to him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's hilarious part of all this mess.

Rogers knows full well that Argos can't play on grass because they will tear it up so they're kicking them out. But yet, TL and co think Argos can co-exist with TFC with "Hybrid" turf even though there's clear evidence that suggest it will be disaster to have football team to play on hybrid turf.

I personally can't wait to hear sale pitch end of this season. Right now, there's no real benefit you get from being TFC SSH especially when you compare to other MLS teams where they give tons of benefits to their SSH base.
    So, should TFC move into the Dome when it's grass?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    So, should TFC move into the Dome when it's grass?
    Sure why not. At least it will be easier to get to Rogers Centre due to being a walking distance from Union Station while there's a lot more bars around that area than BMO field.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playing baseball on a slightly chopped up GRASS field, rather than turf is a big difference.

Plus sprinkler heads are not an issues in a world class facility, he got hurt in some dinky stadium in florida, so i dont agree with your points.
    Those "dinky" stadiums get millions of dollars poured into them and the MLB teams keep the fields in pristine condition. world class stadiums also have sprinkler heads that pierce the surface during inclement weather and when the field gets worn down

But fair enough if you dont agree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    With the equivalent of over 6 rugby games being played at BMO Field on July 11/12 it will be interesting to see how the pitch is for the Canada/Costa Rica Gold cup on July 14th - especially as there will be another soccer game earlier on the 14th! And then TFC plays against Philadelpha 4 days later (6 days after the rugby) on the 18th.

Similarly with the 3 full international Rugby matches (Pacific Nations Cup) scheduled for BMO on July 29th it will be interesting to see how BMO Field looks a week later on August 5 against Orlando.

Though quite frankly, I couldn't see much issue after the August 24th 2013 Canada-USA Rugby match when TFC played New England 6 days later on August 30th. If you looked real hard, you could see where the rugby lines had been. I really don't think most people noticed, and there didn't seem to be any uproar from people here.

The Pa Am games are sevens. Little wear and tear there. Full Internationals different. CFL on a wet day in the fall will seriously chew up the field, no doubt about that.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You got me there (I am with Rogers), but it's impossible to get away from Rogers (and Bell) completely since they own everything in this country thanks to protectionist laws in this country who don't like competition especially coming from outside of this country.

I like the rant too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The CSA sometimes uses the stadium as little as once per year. Despite it being unoficially the national soccer stadium, I dont think their voice carries much weight. I'm sure they put in a word demanding it be kept grass though. Other than that the Argos moving in for 10 games a year when they use it maybe 3 to 5 times a year probably doesn't really bother them as long as the field remains grass.
    its Official name is The National Soccer Stadium, it's BMO because of the naming rights.