Page 151 of 191 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,530 of 5705
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    This is true, however they could keep 3 DP spots but change the thresholds.

For example; MLS threshold from $612K to say $800K, TAM level from $801K to say $2.5M, DPs above that. And at the same time raise the basement from $63K to $85K or something like that. They have a clause to negotiate changes that benefit the players so this is all easy to accomplish.
    I don’t see that happening, or least, not only that.

Based on history, the players will want increases in other things that are available to the other 98% that are not DPs.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-28-2022 at 10:46 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Based on history, the players will want increases in other things that are available to the other 98% that are not DPs.
    This is exactly what I mentioned by raising the league minimum and the "TAM" threshold. This is why Delgado is gone to a degree and Bono will be soon as well. The raises players get annually is fine but after some time they will hit the TAM threshold and then a team has to decide whether they're worth the allocation $$ to buy down. I don't think that was the sole reason for Delgado moving but eventually it will be the downfall of Bono. That is helping the 98% and isn't doing anything for the DPs, they're unchanged. Only difference would be to DPs that were around $1.6 to $2.49M as they would be re-classed as whatever "TAM" level guys are now. Doing this would in effect raise pay across the board and allow domestics to reach a higher pay bracket before requiring allocation buy downs.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 01-28-2022 at 11:05 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, for a year almost everyone was bashing Curtis for signing Soteldo without addressing our defence and leaving us terribly unbalanced. Now they address this exact issue and that's no good either. There is literally no way to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Who ever is running Total_TFC has been doing a great job this off season. They've been sourcing everything, which is hard to come by from content aggregators in football.
    Second.

Edit...

Third.

After MikeForbes
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-28-2022 at 11:15 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is exactly what I mentioned by raising the league minimum and the "TAM" threshold. This is why Delgado is gone to a degree and Bono will be soon as well. The raises players get annually is fine but after some time they will hit the TAM threshold and then a team has to decide whether they're worth the allocation $$ to buy down. I don't think that was the sole reason for Delgado moving but eventually it will be the downfall of Bono. That is helping the 98% and isn't doing anything for the DPs, they're unchanged. Only difference would be to DPs that were around $1.6 to $2.49M as they would be re-classed as whatever "TAM" level guys are now. Doing this would in effect raise pay across the board and allow domestics to reach a higher pay bracket before requiring allocation buy downs.
    OK I see what you are arguing. Could be. Probably need to raise the league minimum too.

But it's really a whole new CBA if they go that far, not a tinker.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, for a year almost everyone was bashing Curtis for signing Soteldo without addressing our defence and leaving us terribly unbalanced. Now they address this exact issue and that's no good either. There is literally no way to win.
    A DP slot is a very expensive way to address a CB need.

Has there ever been a defender as DP before?

EDIT: Rafa Marquez was the only? one. Not much of a precedent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me I'm more trying to figure out the 'why'. From a pure team building POV this could be a top signing to help us win, so I'm not against it at all. Just at this point I have no idea what MLSE are thinking. Insigne told me the strategy was to splash cash and generate serious buzz, but not pairing him with any other high profile DPs would be a weird choice then.

In other words I find it more fascinating than concerning. We definitely need a top level centre half, though we also have a huge, huge need up front and that spot usually demands a DP level signing whereas centre half can usually be filled underneath that threshold

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jan Gregus was originally (if not still) a DP. I think there have been more but this is a recent one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t see that happening, or least, not only that.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the CBA says MLS can unilaterally do certain things, without the players approval. One of those things being increasing spending on salaries.

Let’s also remember the MLSPU is the Washington Generals of sports unions.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm floored by the amount of confusion there is behind getting a CB as a DP.
    The type of CB we need doesn't just appear on the market in abundance. Even at the most Elite levels of football, finding someone who can lead a back line is very difficult.

Walker Zimmerman would be the Non-DP/TAM MLS level CB we should be targeting if we are serious about being competitive.
    If that level of player isn't available, you don't settle for less. You spend bigger if you have to in order to get the right piece.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    The type of CB we need doesn't just appear on the market in abundance. Even at the most Elite levels of football, finding someone who can lead a back line is very difficult.

Walker Zimmerman would be the Non-DP/TAM MLS level CB we should be targeting if we are serious about being competitive.
    If that level of player isn't available, you don't settle for less. You spend bigger if you have to in order to get the right piece.
    Pretty much - I think, dare I say it, it might be easier to land Mattia Destro as a TAM player and then work with a strong spine in Salcedo rather than leaving CB as-is and having Belotti with what is probably a porous defense, even with Bob Bradley's new tactics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Looks like Manning is heading to Italy on February 7th to finalize Criscito and try to convince Destro to join.
    Manning missed out on his paid Italian vacation back at the start of the month. He needed to sign Criscito as an excuse to head back over.
    There is likely more to his trip... what is stated may be a bit of cover... to press court and flesh on some 'other' irons in the fire...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea what to make of his DP status anymore. How it may wash out; any MLS/TFC shenanigans aside...
    You have stated the case, a well made argument counselor (grasshopper )...
    Jury...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Jan Gregus was originally (if not still) a DP. I think there have been more but this is a recent one.
    Yeah I am ignoring guys signed for under a million that get bought down. There are probably others.

Gregus supports the idea that decent CBs can in fact be found without spending big dollars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is that they’ve given DP money to a TAM CB. There are some very good CBs expiring this summer that the club could have gone after if they actually wanted to spend on a CB. Instead, they were so desperate to dump Soteldo that they’ve given Salcedo a near 50% raise and a DP spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to know the story behind Soteldo. To not even try and make it work under Bob Bradley to the degree that you’d basically spite yourself to the tune of millions of dollars is just too crazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone has seen rumours about 4th DP slots etc, could they link it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    There's no rumors of a 4th DP spot.
    Does there have to be? There is consiglieri Lino 'The Fixer' Di Cuollo. I am sure he knows where and how a few MLS bodies are buried.

That DD business may have been all him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I’ll be disappointed if we weren’t able to buy down Salcedo, I don’t think it restricts us too much. We have a ton of cap space/allocation still available this year ($4M+, thanks to noxx98 ‘s excellent spreadsheet).

And I think there is a decent chance we transfer Pozuelo in the summer or at the end of the year. Depends on how the new coach sees him fitting in with Insigne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'll just have to wait and see. Destro might actually be the biggest key to this offseason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im with you on this. I don't believe a DP needs to be a goal scorer.

A DP needs to be a game changer - and we have seen that a quality/capable CB leader is a game changer.

I don't know if Salcedo is quality, I don't watch LMX - but he's a starter on a prominent team and he's only 28, so I can only assume he's worth the $$
    Agreed. It's not always about plan A. They didn't get the striker they wanted, they didn't get a cheaper alternative from within the league, so they shored up the spine of the team by spending money.

It'll be bought down to TAM in year two, probably.

We don't need two Insgine-level marquee signings to be successful on the stands or in the pitch. One will do just fine. There are a ton of decent attacking players in South America and Eastern Europe who can be had for less than DP money.

I think they'll bank on BB's connections in Scandinavia, the French second division and Egypt to uncover some more offense.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I want to know the story behind Soteldo. To not even try and make it work under Bob Bradley to the degree that you’d basically spite yourself to the tune of millions of dollars is just too crazy.
    He had to have been the most universally hated player in the locker room we've ever had. Even more hated than VDW. It's the only explanation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teenage Hadebe is DP CB for Houston

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    Teenage Hadebe is DP CB for Houston
    Omar was a DP in LA before he left. He was on a million a year at the Galaxy. It's not unheard of. I would say that of the few there have been, none have been in prime and/or good enough to start for Mexico.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look, I believe that WillForbes is some dude impersonating some other dude and is probably some dude in his Mother's basement. AND Sam Stejskal is a LEGIT writer from The Athletic... but Salcedo as a DP doesn't make sense with Manning going to Italy in a week or so, and reports are he is looking for a High End Striker... in this vain, what WillForbes writes makes tones of sense (and this window he has been more right then wrong)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The problem is that they’ve given DP money to a TAM CB. There are some very good CBs expiring this summer that the club could have gone after if they actually wanted to spend on a CB. Instead, they were so desperate to dump Soteldo that they’ve given Salcedo a near 50% raise and a DP spot.

This scenario kills two birds with one stone. You get rid of a DP that doesn't fit and you bring in a starting CB. Mistakes cost you and we are seeing the mistake of signing Soteldo being corrected.

They signed a guy who culturally couldn't fit into the MLS, Canada and more specifically TFC. I don't blame him at all. I blame Curtis for selling the guy on a lie.

My interpretation of the Soteldo story (Not fact, just opinion):

His head is big from all of the love he gets in SA.(my wife's cousin lives down the street from Vila Belmiro and they know the FO very well - he got a lot of attention and football respect there)

Then he comes here and he's literally nothing. He's a nobody in the city, the fans don't rate him, media doesn't care about him and he's come into a broken locker room/club. His family is far away and there isn't much of that South American Culture in the city for him to retreat to

So he ain't happy at work or at home. And he's at an age where his generation posts their feelings through Insta and Insta stories. So go and look at his feed and see how much he yearns to go back to Brazil. (although his Insta stories were a lot more telling)

So, I'm not sure when this happened, but some point he checks out - He doesn't give a shit and doesn't make the effort to even try and fit in with the team/club (if you have been in this situation you know how fucking awkward it is for everyone).

He finds a couple guys in the club that understands the life he came from (Gallardo and some other random south American player) and then rides it out to the end of the season, making sure he looks good on the pitch so his value doesn't degrade. All the while his agent is letting FO know this isn't working out and something needs to be worked out.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 01-28-2022 at 01:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah if theres no transfer fee theres no way hes a dp...making him a dp without a transfer fee would be a bad move and anyway there is no dp slot open

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

response to that says buffery expects him to be able to be bought down.

Panic lights off~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    response to that says buffery expects him to be able to be bought down.

Panic lights off~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Olof Mellberg was nearly a DP 🙂

I'm also bringing him up because a small part of me is worried a similar situation could arise now, where a major reshuffling of DP contracts results in the league stepping in for some reason.
    Last edited by AlanO; 01-28-2022 at 01:49 PM.