Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1085
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I doubt there will be full crowds. From what I have seen there's absolutely no proof the 3rd mRNA dose adds anything against Omicron that the first two shots don't. Well other than non-peer reviewed press releases by Moderna & Pfizer. I will believe it when it's reviewed by someone not making profit off it and right now those scientists haven't even figured out what Omicron does yet. Yeah it's March before we get rolling but I don't see this fading away until it's hot out again, maybe May.
    A UK Health Security Agency study that came out a few days ago suggests have double vaccination is only 37% effective against Omicron, but that rises to 75% with a booster. Early, but significant enough to probably heed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59615005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.simcoe.com/community-sto...y-as-co-owner/

Doneil is joins Larin as co-owner of a League 1 team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt there will be full crowds. From what I have seen there's absolutely no proof the 3rd mRNA dose adds anything against Omicron that the first two shots don't. Well other than non-peer reviewed press releases by Moderna & Pfizer. I will believe it when it's reviewed by someone not making profit off it and right now those scientists haven't even figured out what Omicron does yet. Yeah it's March before we get rolling but I don't see this fading away until it's hot out again, maybe May.
    there will be full crowds and you are very wrong.

i remember everyone on here predicting last year we'd have no games in toronto til 2022.

reality is this wave started later october, there's no way it'll still be bad enough to be limiting outdoor capacity in march, especially with rollout of 3rd doses imminent, which are said to restore immunity against variant close to levels of 2 doses vs delta.
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 12-15-2021 at 05:25 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    A UK Health Security Agency study that came out a few days ago suggests have double vaccination is only 37% effective against Omicron, but that rises to 75% with a booster. Early, but significant enough to probably heed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59615005
    I question how they get this data with minimal real world numbers. Now if they were smart, which they are not, they'd ditch the mRNA and do Novovax or Medicago for the boosters as it's a different type and Novovax was more effective against Delta apparently than the two mRNA ones. Medicago performed well too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    there will be full crowds and you are very wrong.

i remember everyone on here predicting last year we'd have no games in toronto til 2022.

reality is this wave started later october, there's no way it'll still be bad enough to be limiting outdoor capacity in march, especially with rollout of 3rd doses imminent, which are said to restore immunity against variant close to levels of 2 doses vs delta.
    Third doses don't matter much when more variants are coming. Unfortunately there's too much money to be made on the west to bother looking after the less wealthy nations & continents so more waves are coming. Vaccine inequity is real and until it stops, these variants will keep coming, faster & faster

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for everyone's comments, please move away from detailed vaccine discussions, that's outside the scope of both this thread and this board. It only came up because it's peripherally related to potential attendance,
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 12-15-2021 at 08:13 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Third doses don't matter much when more variants are coming. Unfortunately there's too much money to be made on the west to bother looking after the less wealthy nations & continents so more waves are coming. Vaccine inequity is real and until it stops, these variants will keep coming, faster & faster
    third doses literally get us up to similar amount of protection as 2 doses did a couple months, re: study out of the UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I question how they get this data with minimal real world numbers. Now if they were smart, which they are not, they'd ditch the mRNA and do Novovax or Medicago for the boosters as it's a different type and Novovax was more effective against Delta apparently than the two mRNA ones. Medicago performed well too.
    YUp.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Oldtimer said, please drop the topic. Nobody really knows, and things are changing more rapidly now than ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ouch. Forge gets Cruz Azul in the first round of CCL, The Club Foots get Santos Laguna.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ouch. Forge gets Cruz Azul in the first round of CCL, The Club Foots get Santos Laguna.
    No problem for Forge, they will just have a nice little excursion to Mexico.
    Good for experience, and long-time memories. Some of Forge players will tell to their grandsons about how they played once officially a team with many players who were paid in that season 100 times as much dough as they were paid in that season.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 12-17-2021 at 05:34 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    No problem for Forge, they will just have a nice little excursion to Mexico.
    Good for experience, and long-time memories. Some of Forge players will tell to their grandsons about how they played once officially a team with many players who were paid in that season 100 times as much dough as they were paid in that season.
    back in my day...we had to play football uphill both ways

However yes you're right it will be a great memory for them and some great experience

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I have a way promotion/relegation could work in MLS without devaluing franchises or pissing off owners.

Now, admittedly this is a watered down version of what we see elsewhere, but....

WIth the league going to 30-plus teams eventually, what they should do is create a new MLS Premiership. But the teams in it continue to play in MLS as well.

-- 12 best teams in the prior season by record are promoted to the Premiership.

-- They play their normal slate of MLS games. Perhaps the schedule could be jerry rigged so that they face other premiership teams at least once, ideally twice. But either way, their standings in the regular MLS season determine their running standing in the Premiership.

-- The Premiership Division title goes to the team with the most regular season points, replacing the supporter's shield. Participation the following year is based on maintaining their top-12 standing.

-- Teams that don't stay in the top 12 are 'relegated' out of the Premiership table and replaced by whoever took their spots.

It rewards the best team over the season with the Premiership title, satisfying the half of the fan base who like the traditional approach. But it doesn't lower anyone's franchise value as they're all involved in the MLS regular season as well and have the playoffs and MLS Cup still to win.

The champion of MLS is still the champion of MLS. The standings determine the Premiership winner. Teams go up and down but franchise value isn't lowered because they're effectively still in the same league together, playing against one another. Multiple teams, based on the league's general parity, could get a shot at the top division on any given year. But consistency is rewarded by being in the 'elite' tier.

Thoughts?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The idea seems interesting for sure. Would it not create some type of scheduling nightmare though? You're saying they would play a home and away against the teams in the premiership. So effectively 22 games out of the season need to be played against the top table teams. Might be easier for a team that's just on the cusp to get more points and qualify for premiership the following season if they are playing teams like Cini a couple more times that normal?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I have a way promotion/relegation could work in MLS without devaluing franchises or pissing off owners.

Now, admittedly this is a watered down version of what we see elsewhere, but....

WIth the league going to 30-plus teams eventually, what they should do is create a new MLS Premiership. But the teams in it continue to play in MLS as well.

-- 12 best teams in the prior season by record are promoted to the Premiership.

-- They play their normal slate of MLS games. Perhaps the schedule could be jerry rigged so that they face other premiership teams at least once, ideally twice. But either way, their standings in the regular MLS season determine their running standing in the Premiership.

-- The Premiership Division title goes to the team with the most regular season points, replacing the supporter's shield. Participation the following year is based on maintaining their top-12 standing.

-- Teams that don't stay in the top 12 are 'relegated' out of the Premiership table and replaced by whoever took their spots.

It rewards the best team over the season with the Premiership title, satisfying the half of the fan base who like the traditional approach. But it doesn't lower anyone's franchise value as they're all involved in the MLS regular season as well and have the playoffs and MLS Cup still to win.

The champion of MLS is still the champion of MLS. The standings determine the Premiership winner. Teams go up and down but franchise value isn't lowered because they're effectively still in the same league together, playing against one another. Multiple teams, based on the league's general parity, could get a shot at the top division on any given year. But consistency is rewarded by being in the 'elite' tier.

Thoughts?
    Like it. The best part is no extra games. But I think we need more elite games and a slightly shorter MLS schedule. My suggestion:

Have the “Premiership” be the North American FA Cup. The top 6 MLS teams, top 6 Liga MX teams, the USL, CPL, Costa Rican and Honduran champions, and they play each other in an FA Cup format. (might need to be the Jamaican or Panamanian league winners, or US Open Cup winner, instead of USL and CPL)

Maybe Supporters Shield Winner gets in for two years, to give that something extra, so it would be top 5 from MLS in a year, plus SS winner from previous year.

Have a two week break (in a perfect world this replaces MLS training camp in February, but not sure Mexicans will agree) and play all of these games at a neutral site. If it has to be summer, so be it. It replaces all star game.

In a really perfect world this would be harmonized with CCL so that we get rid of some of that fixture congestion.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-23-2021 at 09:25 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twitter chatter coming out of Brazil says we wanted to lend Solteldo to São Paulo but the Brazilians want a sale. Deal not off the table but unlikely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cf Montreal acquires Alistair Johnston for a million GAM

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    God effing dammit. I absolutely love Johnston. Are we that in love with Auro?

First Miller, now this. I will bet money they are the team in on Borjan.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-23-2021 at 12:55 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Could be a GAM issue. We had/have a lot of high salary players. We probably don't have much GAM to trade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that's a huge commitment for a defender in MLS. To think the kid was playing League One three years ago.

He's a good defender but he's not perfect. Saw him get beat being late on the offside trap a couple of times last season, so he has his weaknesses. Still, great player to get.

If they signed Doneil from Suwong they could technically put out an all-Canadian Nats backline.

I wonder how much of this is reading the winds of public taste and seeing multiple sellouts in qualifying; Canada almost certainly going to the World Cup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be a GAM issue. We had/have a lot of high salary players. We probably don't have much GAM to trade away.
    Oh for sure. Put another way, Johnston was expensive. We would have had to move something valuable to do this.

I speculated a couple of weeks ago that Delgado for Johnston might be a deal.

I guess I have to cheer for Montreal now. A least a little bit. Sigh.

Johnston will be playing for Chelsea or something in a couple of years, on the back of our run to the WC quarter finals. You watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Twitter chatter coming out of Brazil says we wanted to lend Solteldo to São Paulo but the Brazilians want a sale. Deal not off the table but unlikely.
    The press line down there shifted a bit negative today, multiple outlets going with "he only had four goals in 26 games" in MLS. He's regarded as a striker down there, for the most part. I wonder if the inability to close a sale has the team leaking the "we're not missing much" line.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder how much of this is reading the winds of public taste and seeing multiple sellouts in qualifying; Canada almost certainly going to the World Cup.
    I am sure it is a big factor. It's smart too. I mean, what is a million dollars in the face of the numbers everyone throws around here 20 times a day for Nestor or Insigne or whomever.

Quebec has changed. The Raptors showed that, the province gets behind truly great Canadian teams now, as long as their is a sprinkling of La Francophonie in there (Ibaka and Boucher for the Raps, Piette plus others for the CMNT)
    Last edited by ensco; 12-23-2021 at 01:14 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To watch Miller, Kaye and now Johnston and probably Borjan move in the last few months, and us just stand there watching it all, frustrates me. These are all great MLS players, guys we love, and the price is not insane.

I mean, all this discussion about Insigne putting bums in seats, it's literally nothing compared to the potential if Canada gets to Qatar. Our CMNT guys will get wall to wall front page coverage for months.

I wonder if BB is going to go after Kaye btw. Just a thought.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-23-2021 at 01:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colorado acquired Kaye for $1 million GAM in July. Johnston just went for another $1 million. I've seen a few proposals about shipping out Marky for GAM, but I don't think he'd fetch a similar amount, simply due to contracts.

Kaye is on $247,000; Johnston on $73,000; Delgado is on $581,000. Part of their trade price was definitely paying for the bargain contract. Marky's is more market value than below market value, so we wouldn't get that premium. We probably should've dealt him before the 2020 season (the last year of his previous contract before the extension that kicked in in 2021)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sure it is a big factor. It's smart too. I mean, what is a million dollars in the face of the numbers everyone throws around here 20 times a day for Nestor or Insigne or whomever.
    Because it isn't just money. It's allocation money and it's more valuable in salary capped MLS than real money. TFC can pay Insigne $50M a year and he budgets the same as Soteldo and his $1.9M so all that extra doesn't matter to roster construction.

There's only so much allocation $$$ to go around and that's why Nashville had to move Johnston (and probably Zimmerman too). Their new expansion club bonus bucks have worn off. That's the wrench in the Delgado trade speculation. He's getting closer & closer to being a TAM guy and I don't think they have any to spare.

I hate that we lost out on him but Montreal paid a lot considering there's an undisclosed sell on percentage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen a few proposals about shipping out Marky for GAM, but I don't think he'd fetch a similar amount, simply due to contracts.
    Yeah I think we '2 weeks-ed' ourselves into eating his near TAM deal until his contract expires.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To watch Miller, Kaye and now Johnston and probably Borjan move in the last few months, and us just stand there watching it all, frustrates me. These are all great MLS players, guys we love, and the price is not insane.

I mean, all this discussion about Insigne putting bums in seats, it's literally nothing compared to the potential if Canada gets to Qatar. Our CMNT guys will get wall to wall front page coverage for months.

I wonder if BB is going to go after Kaye btw. Just a thought.
    Yeah it's frustrating..

The one factor that makes it a bit easier for me is that there is a very good chance he moves overseas, possibly even before the World Cup.
    Last edited by Canary10; 12-23-2021 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Yeah it's frustrating..

The one factor that makes it a bit easier for me is that there is a very good chance he moves overseas, possibly even before the World Cup.
    Yeah, I’m a little surprised this move went through. He’s definitely good enough and young enough to catch on in Europe and you would think that’s his aspiration.

But a million bucks is too much for a short term rental.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you don't play 5 at the back, he's not worth that sort of money.

im a big fan of johnston, but that amount on a rcb (in a 5 at the back)/ rwb doesnt make sense at all in regards to tfc.