Page 163 of 191 FirstFirst ... 63113153159160161162163164165166167173 ... LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,890 of 5725
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all that stat isn't even correct. We scored against Vancouver in August. But I can see KJ is conveniently ignoring the Canadian Championship because it doesn't help the sensationalist of it. Because instead of saying not since May 2018, you can say 4 games, what it actually is. Which while not good, certainly doesn't make for some sensational tweeting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's another big market team that doesn't have all 3 DP slots filled, but they seem to be taking a vastly different approach from Toronto FC in terms of filling it.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...gning-sounders

MLS teams get three Designated Players and teams have the flexibility to use those slots as they like.
    With the Seattle Sounders having an open DP slot right now, there's been speculation they will make another big signing to go alongside Nicolas Lodeiro and Raul Ruidiaz.
    Don't count on that this year, however, according to GM and president of soccer Garth Lagerwey.
    "I wouldn't expect a splashy third DP-level signing," Lagerwey told the "Sounders Weekly" radio show this week. "Our big investments are in Nico Lodeiro and Raul Ruidiaz. Those guys are the cornerstones we're building around and certainly we are going to continue to bring in good players...But I don't anticipate it's going to be at an impact like a Lodeiro or a Ruidiaz."
    Lagerwey elaborated that he expects Seattle's third Designated Player to be the club's highest-paid player not on a DP deal, "an accounting mechanism" as he put it, citing that maneuver in the past with former midfielder Ozzie Alonso.
    And while that might sound disappointing to fans looking for more star wattage, Lagerwey said the strategy is "consistent with how we expect the league to go forward."
    The Sounders open the 2019 MLS regular season on March 2 at home against FC Cincinnati.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I think after that performance from Ciman we really need another CB. Someone in the mold of Miguel Aceval.
    Someone who plays 5 games then gets arrested?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Someone who plays 5 games then gets arrested?
    Yes. I was going to add a Soolsma-like left footed winger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    Here's another big market team that doesn't have all 3 DP slots filled, but they seem to be taking a vastly different approach from Toronto FC in terms of filling it.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...gning-sounders

MLS teams get three Designated Players and teams have the flexibility to use those slots as they like.
    With the Seattle Sounders having an open DP slot right now, there's been speculation they will make another big signing to go alongside Nicolas Lodeiro and Raul Ruidiaz.
    Don't count on that this year, however, according to GM and president of soccer Garth Lagerwey.
    "I wouldn't expect a splashy third DP-level signing," Lagerwey told the "Sounders Weekly" radio show this week. "Our big investments are in Nico Lodeiro and Raul Ruidiaz. Those guys are the cornerstones we're building around and certainly we are going to continue to bring in good players...But I don't anticipate it's going to be at an impact like a Lodeiro or a Ruidiaz."
    Lagerwey elaborated that he expects Seattle's third Designated Player to be the club's highest-paid player not on a DP deal, "an accounting mechanism" as he put it, citing that maneuver in the past with former midfielder Ozzie Alonso.
    And while that might sound disappointing to fans looking for more star wattage, Lagerwey said the strategy is "consistent with how we expect the league to go forward."
    The Sounders open the 2019 MLS regular season on March 2 at home against FC Cincinnati.
    I think Lagerway is taking into account that this is the last year of the current CBA and we dont know what the cap/mechanisms will be post 2019

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. I was going to add a Soolsma-like left footed winger.
    I think we need another CB that's mystified by Irish people living in Toronto. We've really missed that since Adrian Cann left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I think we need another CB that's mystified by Irish people living in Toronto. We've really missed that since Adrian Cann left.
    What?! What was that story all about? I don’t remember.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I never liked Ciman. When we played against him my only thought all game was "please don't let our guys get hurt by him" with his stupid slide tackles. My other thought when TFC playing against him is it is just a matter of time until he gets a red card for one of those tackles. Now the bloody guy is on our team and you could see tonight how many of those reckless slide tackles he did which all basically failed to produce any results and could have easily injured the other players. Mark my words. He will injure players with those this year. We will see some red cards and possible penalties from those this year. Other than that his positional sense tonight sucked. How he ever won MLS defender of the year is beyond me. I always thought so. Now we have to watch that crap on our team this year. I would take Moor too.
    You sir are 100% correct , and we always used to beat him , but this is our fate , we’ve gone so far backwards .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    your last paragraph is pretty rich to be honest. Show me a great team and I will show you a great coach. He has evolved since his arrival. Did he try something overly ambitious in our first competitive match this year sure. He should not be judged until he has the full squad in place. By the way I guess you forgot his tactical switch against Seattle in the 2017 finals.

This team was over reliant on their DPs. Due to the fact we could only play one way due to the squad’s construction. A lot of this is on Bez for leaving the team with 0 depth.
    He was out coached in sooo many games last year and he had Seba to cover his horrible defence . He forces a round peg into a square hole continuously. Always making the players fit into his logic , failed instead of working and utilizing the talents he has . This easily observed last year . A championship side completely dominated all year by its opposition. And he never adjusted . It’s ridicuou when one can go to game and predict the deafest and how it occurs from the coaches subs or non actions . It’s a sport and winning is the goal not mediocrity.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I think Lagerway is taking into account that this is the last year of the current CBA and we dont know what the cap/mechanisms will be post 2019
    So Seattle Sounders is taking this into account, but Toronto FC isn't?

It sounds to me like one team is forward thinking, and another one isn't.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    He was out coached in sooo many games last year and he had Seba to cover his horrible defence . He forces a round peg into a square hole continuously. Always making the players fit into his logic , failed instead of working and utilizing the talents he has . This easily observed last year . A championship side completely dominated all year by its opposition. And he never adjusted . It’s ridicuou when one can go to game and predict the deafest and how it occurs from the coaches subs or non actions . It’s a sport and winning is the goal not mediocrity.
    I don't think he was out coached often actually. Pre-match he called the right plan and went over it in those TFC website videos they don't bother doing anymore. Sometimes we'd come out great but then revert to the slow down, methodical, sideways pass fest or else we'd just do that from the start. That's a symptom that started at the end of 2017 and kept getting worse.

So I think Vanney knows what he's doing and has a decent handle on tactics and adjustments. I just don't think the team listens to him anymore or they have become so accustomed to that 'easy' way of playing that it's a habit they can't break. Either way, that's not a good sign for the manager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't say that since both our DPs are out of contract at the end of this year. They're actually right on point. I think that Poz it the key first domino - if he falls towards TFC, we'll see a bunch of signings that compliment his piece. If he doesn't sign, then there will be an alternate set of dominoes set in motion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who says they aren't. Two expiring DP contracts and one TAM player who will be gone ASAP. Until a shoe drops we're perfectly set for whatever a new CBA would bring. In fact I'd argue no team is as prepared for it as us. That doesn't say much for the 2019 season but it is what it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Who says they aren't. Two expiring DP contracts and one TAM player who will be gone ASAP. Until a shoe drops we're perfectly set for whatever a new CBA would bring. In fact I'd argue no team is as prepared for it as us. That doesn't say much for the 2019 season but it is what it is.
    That's why I don't really mind waiting for Pozuelo until May or at least wait for the right guy. We need an entire revamp of 6-8 players anyways not 2 or 3. I view 2019 as write off or at least that's my expectation for this group.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As it stands now...we have no DP’s contracted for next season. We are fully prepared for the abolition of the DP rule. (Which can’t come soon enough in my opinion.)

should have read the other replies first...snap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has Bradley after his last performance shown he is worth of the DP spot, a DP should be able to lead and make a difference in the club, at current best, i cannot see him more than TAM signing after his contract expires

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    You sir are 100% correct , and we always used to beat him , but this is our fate , we’ve gone so far backwards .
    Listened to the KJ and Caldwell podcast today. They said that Ciman doesn't like to defend and is not really a defender as can be seen in that game. Come again? Our starting CB doesn't like to defend and is not a defender? I have never heard of a CB described as such in my life. I can't wrap my head around that comment. Even more curious why TFC picked him up in the offseason if that is the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Listened to the KJ and Caldwell podcast today. They said that Ciman doesn't like to defend and is not really a defender as can be seen in that game. Come again? Our starting CB doesn't like to defend and is not a defender? I have never heard of a CB described as such in my life. I can't wrap my head around that comment. Even more curious why TFC picked him up in the offseason if that is the case.
    I have said it before but will say it again TFC signed him to help out with his child and get recognized as being a charity case, i feel the signing of Ciman was TFC trying to be charitable and not really used to improve our team in the long run

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

???????????

He's not a defender but he's played CB like most of his career and he won Defender of the Year?

I ... need a drink.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    I have said it before but will say it again TFC signed him to help out with his child and get recognized as being a charity case, i feel the signing of Ciman was TFC trying to be charitable and not really used to improve our team in the long run
    How many people do you think have followed the whole Ciman's family story? Likely a fraction of this board who are already 100% bought in. Who exactly outside the established fan base is being exposed to Ciman's family situation and then are motivated to spend on TFC? If its a marketing spend then the returns are sure to br dismal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    How many people do you think have followed the whole Ciman's family story? Likely a fraction of this board who are already 100% bought in. Who exactly outside the established fan base is being exposed to Ciman's family situation and then are motivated to spend on TFC? If its a marketing spend then the returns are sure to br dismal.
    At the very least, we have some banter against Montreal Impact for being cheapskates backing out on paying for Ciman's autistic daughter's therapy (Montreal has the best french speaking autism services). MLSE for all the flack we give them, is not Joey Saputo level of sleaziness. At the very least, MLSE knows the cost that a PR shit show that would come if they withhold money to pay for the care Ciman's daugher needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    At the very least, we have some banter against Montreal Impact for being cheapskates backing out on paying for Ciman's autistic daughter's therapy (Montreal has the best french speaking autism services). MLSE for all the flack we give them, is not Joey Saputo level of sleaziness. At the very least, MLSE knows the cost that a PR shit show that would come if they withhold money to pay for the care Ciman's daugher needs.
    If his play continues the way it is, Ciman will realize very fast he may need Ottawa to help out because TFC need to let him go based on results so far...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Ciman/Daughter issue is overplayed. I doubt that it. Was a factor at all in TFC’s decision making. It can’t be a factor... Ciman has played at the highest levels of football for over a decade and made plenty of money. His daughter will be well cared for wherever he is.

TFC had the second worst defence in MLS last year...have we fixed that problem? On Tuesday’s evidence we might have got worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    I think the Ciman/Daughter issue is overplayed. I doubt that it. Was a factor at all in TFC’s decision making. It can’t be a factor... Ciman has played at the highest levels of football for over a decade and made plenty of money. His daughter will be well cared for wherever he is.

TFC had the second worst defence in MLS last year...have we fixed that problem? On Tuesday’s evidence we might have got worse.
    This isn't really true man. His daughter has autism and requires a lot of professional support on a regular basis, and requires that support in French. In an interview he and his wife said that the services available in France and Belgium were antiquated and did not give her the needed support. They also said that the healthcare in Quebec did provide the best care for their daughter that they had seen. He's a wealthy Footballer sure, but money does not cure autism, but a functioning institutional health support system might help. Don't mean to jump down your throat or anything, I just remember being happy to be Canadian when I watched that interview and saw the positive change our healthcare made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buffery reporting that if Genk aren't willing to let Pozuelo go in March to come to TFC, he will break his contract and go to China:

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...eeds-some-help

Basically the same as Giovinco - only in it for the money.

Unless that threat is just a ploy to make Genk think they could get nothing and so should accept TFC's payment.
    Last edited by James17930; 02-21-2019 at 04:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Buffery reporting that if Genk aren't willing to let Pozuelo go in March to come to TFC, he will break his contract and go to China:

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...eeds-some-help

Basically the same as Giovinco - only in it for the money.

Unless that threat is just a ploy to make Genk think they could get nothing and so should accept TFC's payment.
    Not a single person believes that there are serious negotations between Pozuelo and a Chinese club or that he is even willing to go to China. Our famous law of '78 (breaking contract) is just the most used trick by Belgian managers of players to get the transfer done.

Law of '78: Genk will receive just a couple of mil.
    Transfer to TFC: Genk will receive atleast 8 mil.

You can do the math. Even if not a single person in Belgium thinks he is willing to go to China, this trick (in addition with not showing up on training) practically always gets the job done.
    Last edited by ForzaGenk; 02-21-2019 at 04:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What?! What was that story all about? I don’t remember.
    Oh it's not a story per se. Just a personal anecdote from meeting him at a game once during the Mariner era.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any rollerbladers who want to hang out in the lobby of the Sheraton at Brussels Airport? That's apparently where Manning and Curtis are holed up trying to nail this down....

https://www.hln.be/sport/voetbal/bel...enk~a8a8a23f0/

Alejandro Pozuelo stepped up the training field behind the Luminus Arena with a smile. Hat on the head - even though the thermometer indicated ten degrees. Philippe Clement reinstated 'Pozo' in his match center for the return against Slavia Prague, but he is not expected to kick off.
    Ninety miles away, Genk chairman Peter Croonen was chaired by Toronto FC, Bill Manning, and his right hand, General Manager Ali Curtis. They discussed the future of the Spanish playmaker at the Brussels Airport Sheraton hotel. Although all parties are aware that a quick solution is desirable, there is still no white smoke. This morning the negotiations between Genk and Toronto continue.
    Toronto FC is now virtually eliminated in the American Champions League. The Canadians lost 4-0 to Independiente from Panama. A particularly unexpected loss. The question now is whether that will change anything in Toronto's negotiation strategy. Are they more lenient and do they want to cooperate in a deal whereby Pozuelo stays with Genk until 7 May?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    Has Bradley after his last performance shown he is worth of the DP spot, a DP should be able to lead and make a difference in the club, at current best, i cannot see him more than TAM signing after his contract expires
    Not trying to defend Bradley but the man was hung out to dry by Vanney's tactics the other night. The man has given a lot to TFC over his DP contract including doing whatever the manager has asked of him (playing CB last year for the first time for example ... which left a gaping hole that he vacated at CDM). I'm willing to go on his body of work over his contract to determine his value. That won't happen until after this season as his next contract will be weighted by what he does this year ... not just the first game. Bradley will only shine if the pieces around him complement him and pull their weight. He's still central to a fairly solid International team so someone important with decent credentials still sees him as more than a washed up DP. Same thing with Ciman ... one game and people are crucifying him. Being a bad CB is what got him picked for Belgium I guess. We need to temper our expectations a bit if you ask me. There were positives in his game that other respected TFC CB's don't have ... Moor isn't very good at distributing the ball for example. Ciman is. The more time you give Moor the more likely he is to just boot the ball away but he's pretty good at tackling. Bradley and Ciman were both left vunerable and exposed in Panama. They can take some of the blame but not all of it. I'm willing to give both of them some time to see what they look like when put in a position to succeed.

Take both of those guys out of the TFC lineup (lets say they got injured) and see how people's opinions change ... TFCTID.
    Last edited by buddies; 02-21-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Game time is 3pm EST. I'd keep on eye on this (on DAZN or twitter), if Manning and Curtis are in the Chairman's box.. we have white smoke!