Page 28 of 174 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if Ayo for Hasal makes sense. It certainly would make sense for the marketing department, as Hasal has a shot at being the starting GK in WC 2026. (Violent disagreement from the guy with the advanced stats coming in 3.. 2.. 1… all I can say is that advanced stats don’t work very well for GKs.)

I think Hasal is a promising GK prospect. He sure looked good against us.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I wonder if Ayo for Hasal makes sense. It certainly would make sense for the marketing department, as Hasal has a shot at being the starting GK in WC 2026. (Violent disagreement from the guy with the advanced stats coming in 3.. 2.. 1… all I can say is that advanced stats don’t work very well for GKs.)

hasal is one of the worst goalkeepers in mls.

he'll be in CPL by 2026.

he makes bono look like manuel neuer lmao
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 11-07-2022 at 02:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only player you want from the Shitecaps is Gressel, and depending on Richie's situation post-July, perhaps you try and make a package work including Ayo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would bet the unexplained variance in many of these advance stats is huge (especially those quoted by laymen like ourselves rather than professionals working within the teams). And I would also bet the predictive power / nature of use by teams is not what we assume it to be.

That’s not to say the stats are useless but the “look what guy x did on paper, he much be great”
    type arguments kill me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I would bet the unexplained variance in many of these advance stats is huge (especially those quoted by laymen like ourselves rather than professionals working within the teams). And I would also bet the predictive power / nature of use by teams is not what we assume it to be.

That’s not to say the stats are useless but the “look what guy x did on paper, he much be great”
    type arguments kill me.
    hasal fails in both the underlying stats and the eye test.

i've watched a lot of whitecaps this year and their season and hasal is just abysmal, the underlying stats that put him last iin most metrics in MLS just confirm that.

they took 4 points from the first 8 games with hasal playing. he got injured against us and they took 16 points from the next 8 games without him lol.
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 11-07-2022 at 02:55 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/MattSHartman/sta...49102530555910

hopefully we can graduate some of these to the first team in next few years.

every class now should be better than previous one, as all will have come through a more professional setup from a young age.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post

i've watched a lot of whitecaps this year and their season and hasal is just abysmal, the underlying stats that put him last iin most metrics in MLS just confirm that.

they took 4 points from the first 8 games with hasal playing. he got injured against us and they took 16 points from the next 8 games without him lol.
    In the 8 games before Hasal got injured they scored 0.75 goals per game. In the 8 games after they scored 1.375 per game. It's great that their change in goal helped them score 80% more goals per game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Wow you really dislike the Whitecaps and Hasal.

I didn’t watch enough to have a big opinion on either.

They did have a shot at the playoffs until the final day, in a tougher conference than ours.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No argument on my side. I don’t think he’s particularly great.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They did have a shot at the playoffs until the final day, in a tougher conference than ours.
    He is overrated for sure. Not terrible like Bono but not great.

Regardless, he isn't starting in 2026 unless Crepeau's play falls off a cliff or St. Clair is just a flash in the pan.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    In the 8 games before Hasal got injured they scored 0.75 goals per game. In the 8 games after they scored 1.375 per game. It's great that their change in goal helped them score 80% more goals per game.
    Having a gk not letting in soft goals helps the whole team.

Look how much those Bono errors hurt us when we were broadly playing very well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aka I watch them play and know which players are good and bad.

I'd take Brian white here in a millisecond.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having a gk not letting in soft goals helps the whole team.

Look how much those Bono errors hurt us when we were broadly playing very well.
    I'm not saying Hasal is a good or bad keeper - but just by using wins and losses misses the whole picture.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    I'm not saying Hasal is a good or bad keeper - but just by using wins and losses misses the whole picture.

I agree but some people here don't buy the statistics that every club in the world uses for recruitment so had to use bigger picture stats.

And watching their run, cropper definitely had a big impact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/MattSHartman/sta...49102530555910

hopefully we can graduate some of these to the first team in next few years.

every class now should be better than previous one, as all will have come through a more professional setup from a young age.
    We’ve had technically sound and well performing youth teams since the days of Kevin Aleman and others. Can we sign the best ones to first team deals? Figure out a way for them to be MLS ready on day 1? Those are the bigger questions IMO.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    We’ve had technically sound and well performing youth teams since the days of Kevin Aleman and others. Can we sign the best ones to first team deals? Figure out a way for them to be MLS ready on day 1? Those are the bigger questions IMO.
    agreed.

although i feel the last couple gens are stronger technically and tactically (from watching MLS Next Pro).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aka I watch them play and know which players are good and bad.

I'd take Brian white here in a millisecond.
    Yeaahhh....

Brian White was fucking terrible this year. He had four goals on forty-one shots and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Really, he was awful.

Hasal is not last or at the bottom in all metrics in the league. As I mentioned previously, his shutout rate was middle of the pack at 23% of all matches. Granted this is a stat helped heavily by the defence ahead of you, but they have a poor one, so that's not really the point.

I don't disagree that he doesn't look ready, but you're exaggerating how poor he is. He's had several brilliant matches, that's why he got the shot after Crepeau left in the first place.

But he's not ready, no. He's 23 but he needs several years of experience still, it appears. Too nervous and error prone at big moments.

I'd take Brian White as a backup striker, because he has good movement and might regain his form. But he looked really poor this year. If he hadn't crapped out entirely they'd have made the playoffs easily.

(He missed the first five games of the year to injury and never looked the same after, so maybe with an offseason he'll turn things around.)

I thought Cropper looked next-level good in a few games, but he was tied for the lowest save percentage in the league and ultimately didn't win them any games.

I don't think I'd take anyone Vancouver might make available. They're not going to cough up Gauld. Cavallini will probably be available but for far more dollars than the 10 goals he'll likely score.

Ryan Raposo looks like he has a future. Be great as backup as he can play both wings and in the hole.
    Last edited by jloome; 11-07-2022 at 05:51 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Yeaahhh....

Brian White was fucking terrible this year. He had four goals on forty-one shots and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Really, he was awful.

Hasal is not last or at the bottom in all metrics in the league. As I mentioned previously, his shutout rate was middle of the pack at 23% of all matches. Granted this is a stat helped heavily by the defence ahead of you, but they have a poor one, so that's not really the point.

I don't disagree that he doesn't look ready, but you're exaggerating how poor he is. He's had several brilliant matches, that's why he got the shot after Crepeau left in the first place.

But he's not ready, no. He's 23 but he needs several years of experience still, it appears. Too nervous and error prone at big moments.

I'd take Brian White as a backup striker, because he has good movement and might regain his form. But he looked really poor this year. If he hadn't crapped out entirely they'd have made the playoffs easily.

(He missed the first five games of the year to injury and never looked the same after, so maybe with an offseason he'll turn things around.)

I thought Cropper looked next-level good in a few games, but he was tied for the lowest save percentage in the league and ultimately didn't win them any games.
    yes i mean as a back up striker bc his wages are fairly low, would be quality for that position. would be an excellent later game sub when chasing a game.

i feel like hasal has regressed since his debut, that's a really bad sign.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agreed.

although i feel the last couple gens are stronger technically and tactically (from watching MLS Next Pro).
    The second team this year was really good to watch. They had it together. Haven’t seen enough of those guys within MLS to know if it will translate but it feels (on balance) positive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes i mean as a back up striker bc his wages are fairly low, would be quality for that position. would be an excellent later game sub when chasing a game.

i feel like hasal has regressed since his debut, that's a really bad sign.
    I think they pushed him in too quickly, with no competition as they were losing Crepeau.

He looks visibly nervous against heavy pressure. When it's just the course of the game against a similar opponent, he looks very comfortable, big but fast to get down, very impressive. He looks a lot like Slonina, really.

But I watched most of Vancouver's matches this year (they're usually on TSN right after TFC) and there were a number where he was shaky, late on shots he should've handled easily.

He might have regressed a little. It's very hard to say. That team was so shaky for the first two-thirds of the season. I think if he can get the mentality right he has a bright future skill-wise.

They might move White as part of a deal for Akinola.

White and Raposo for Akinola? I'd take that in a heart beat.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they pushed him in too quickly, with no competition as they were losing Crepeau.

He looks visibly nervous against heavy pressure. When it's just the course of the game against a similar opponent, he looks very comfortable, big but fast to get down, very impressive. He looks a lot like Slonina, really.

But I watched most of Vancouver's matches this year (they're usually on TSN right after TFC) and there were a number where he was shaky, late on shots he should've handled easily.

He might have regressed a little. It's very hard to say. That team was so shaky for the first two-thirds of the season. I think if he can get the mentality right he has a bright future skill-wise.

They might move White as part of a deal for Akinola.

White and Raposo for Akinola? I'd take that in a heart beat.
    would you take cavallini on a heavily reduced contract (say, 700k)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

would you take cavallini on a heavily reduced contract (say, 700k)?
    Yeah, probably. He's never scored more than nine goals in a season in his entire career but when he was in Mexico they used him more as a hold-up target man and he was quite effective.

(EDIT: He's also never played more than 24 games in a season, usually due to position competition, so he's actually a 1-in-3 scorer lifetime, 90 goals in 275 games.)

Given that our two main scorers are likely to be Bernie and Insigne, and they play as inverted forwards, he could play a role holding up the ball at the spot or near the top of the box and creating the space they need to score.

He scored nine goals last season, I think he could probably score that consistently in MLS, maybe 10-12. Add in the three or four assists a season he was getting as a target man in Mexico and he becomes easily worth that sort of money.
    Last edited by jloome; 11-07-2022 at 06:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, probably. He's never scored more than nine goals in a season in his entire career but when he was in Mexico they used him more as a hold-up target man and he was quite effective.

(EDIT: He's also never played more than 24 games in a season, usually due to position competition, so he's actually a 1-in-3 scorer lifetime, 90 goals in 275 games.)

Given that our two main scorers are likely to be Bernie and Insigne, and they play as inverted forwards, he could play a role holding up the ball at the spot or near the top of the box and creating the space they need to score.

He scored nine goals last season, I think he could probably score that consistently in MLS, maybe 10-12. Add in the three or four assists a season he was getting as a target man in Mexico and he becomes easily worth that sort of money.
    I’m torn on Cavalinni. A bruiser that takes up space would be really useful. It might also help us to retain Osorio .

But his form has always been dicey and he has a lot of bonehead moments that make you want to read your hair out. If he’s off-the-bench / depth I think it makes sense but I wouldn’t want to count on him as the #1 option

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, also he's for the city and would probably relish playing for us.

he's a really good target man in this league.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2023 is playoffs or bust

Experienced keeper

Young guy to learn from

Sean Johnson & somebody else

God help us if they keep Conway though...

Traditionally not many moves during this window, especially during an expansion draft year
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 11-07-2022 at 08:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    2023 is playoffs or bust

Experienced keeper

Young guy to learn from

Sean Johnson & somebody else

God help us if they keep Conway though...

Traditionally not many moves during this window, especially during an expansion draft year
    Playoffs is a *really* low bar. Getting in is not the achievement it was pre-2016.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Playoffs is a *really* low bar. Getting in is not the achievement it was pre-2016.
    yep, we need to be top 4 really, anything else is a failure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cavallini is an absolute meathead. Stay well clear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

time to put on your big boy scouting shoes.and stop overpaying for players.
    not interested in cavs for anything more than 300k.
    hate to say it we should move away from oso.31 and a head injury at max tam for 3 years,what could go wrong

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A guy who got an enforced holiday for stepping on a player's head & gets yellow cards more then vintage Doneil?

No thanks