Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match Day 29 - LAG @ TFC Wednesday August 31 7:38-m - I have a photograph

They're all that's left you

Have at It People

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Counterpoint

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need the Galaxy to empty their holster in NE tonight. Chicharito with the beauty through ball. Early goal in 4th minute for them…
    Last edited by ensco; 08-28-2022 at 07:41 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

None of the ex -TFC played for LAG tonight -

Delgado seems to have gotten Osorio's Non-covid illness & Edwards has a hamstring issue. Vasquez & nephew on bench but don't see time on the turf.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shame I'd like Nephew to be on the pitch for this one...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a small gift from the playoff gods. Galaxy were seriously outplayed.

I had not seen a full Galaxy game in a long time. I didn’t see the things I think of as Vanneyball- being focused on possession, building up deliberately…
    Last edited by ensco; 08-28-2022 at 09:58 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    That was a small gift from the playoff gods. Galaxy were seriously outplayed.

I had not seen a full Galaxy game in a long time. I didn’t see the things I think of as Vanneyball- being focused on possession, building up deliberately…
    Interesting… nothing much I hear out of LA sounds especially Vanney-like. Looking forward to being at the stadium on Wednesday. Suspect we’ll see Vazquez on the pitch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The through ball on the second Galaxy goal was from Puig, and is worth a look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great pass but the defender stopped moving and gave him acres of space to take down that ball

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^That is true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On second thought, maybe we won’t see Victor….

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That highlight is brought to you by poor defending. Andrew Farrell (I think?) caught way out of position.

On that note - makes you wonder if we'll end up on a similar highlight due to our deficiencies in the centre of defence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those goals were almost identical and leave me frustrated over the results in our NE games. Vanney shows you here how pro scouting and coaching can matter.

NE pressed us high and wide and gave us real trouble with that. They played it the same way against LA. (Arena, like BB, is pretty inflexible.) So Vanney figures out that their backline are cheating to do that, and has his guys send good through balls right down route 1. Its 2-0 in 15 minutes and, despite that fact that LA are generally outplayed throughout, they get full points.

I miss Vanney. THAT kind of adjustment is something we have not seen here since he left.
    Last edited by ensco; 08-29-2022 at 08:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those goals were almost identical and leave me frustrated over the results in our NE games. Vanney shows you here how pro scouting and coaching can matter.

NE pressed us high and wide and gave us real trouble with that. They played it the same way against LA. (Arena, like BB, is pretty inflexible.) So Vanney figures out that their backline are cheating to do that, and has his guys send good through balls right down route 1. Its 2-0 in 15 minutes and, despite that fact that LA are generally outplayed throughout, they get full points.

I miss Vanney. THAT kind of adjustment is something we have not seen here since he left.
    Very true. It was one of the aspects of Vanney’s work that was to our great advantage in this league. I’m hoping, maybe against hope, that when BB gets his pieces in place we demonstrate more tactical adaptability.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Very true. It was one of the aspects of Vanney’s work that was to our great advantage in this league. I’m hoping, maybe against hope, that when BB gets his pieces in place we demonstrate more tactical adaptability.
    We kind of did in that Charlotte game though - look at the way we adjusted to finally break that block down. As Insigne and Berna get warmed up, we're going to only get spicier.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

doubt chicarito starts after starting tonight on turf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    doubt chicarito starts after starting tonight on turf
    In the game summary it says he was substituted because of injury.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    We kind of did in that Charlotte game though - look at the way we adjusted to finally break that block down. As Insigne and Berna get warmed up, we're going to only get spicier.
    My own thought was that Charlotte opened up and had to start chasing the game, because we got that goal, more than anything we did.

Not disagreeing with your point about Fede and Lorenzo getting better just as a function of minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One more time...

TORONTO FC, MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoping for us, that the evening is one of those 'Hollywood Nights'...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osorio back?

MAK still MIA?

Jimenez back to starting?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    BB plays a very different kind of game that depends on being able to impose his game on the other team rather than adjusting his tactics to the opponent.
    It can work if you have the right type of team, which he doesn't quite have yet, hopefully in 2023. I personally prefer Vanney's approach as it works easier, doesn't require perfection, and works more often in a parity league.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    BB plays a very different kind of game that depends on being able to impose his game on the other team rather than adjusting his tactics to the opponent. It can work if you have the right type of team, which he doesn't quite have yet, hopefully in 2023. I personally prefer Vanney's approach as it works easier, doesn't require perfection, and works more often in a parity league.
    Yeah, the Martin Caceres signing just might fit that approach.

The visitor's side of our pitch and their bench could have been quite interesting and full of known faces.
    I realize now a few will be questionable/injured and will not make the trip.
    LAG, ahem... TFC REDUX... has just added Endoh in USL to their contingent of Delgado, Edwards, Vazquez, Vanney and Zavaleta.
    Even Caceres, should he also make the trip, would be a familiar SerieA'er to Lolo, Fede, Mimmo and even Michele.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Osorio back?

MAK still MIA?

Jimenez back to starting?
    Hopefully all of them are available.

The Ayo experiment is a no and we need better in midfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d like to see Lorenzo in the midfield again if MAK/Oso are both still out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are pretty much at the point where every game needs to be a win to make the playoffs.

It’s tough but not impossible. One game at a time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a note - BB adjusted LI going inside against Charlotte & Nelson going to the outside - didn't watch the game so not sure it worked to break them down more but he does make adjustments. What BB doesn't do is go form 4-3-3 to 3-5-2 to 4-2-3-1 to 5-3-2 all in one half - only Vanney does that in MLS and its insane.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Just a note - BB adjusted LI going inside against Charlotte & Nelson going to the outside - didn't watch the game so not sure it worked to break them down more but he does make adjustments. What BB doesn't do is go form 4-3-3 to 3-5-2 to 4-2-3-1 to 5-3-2 all in one half - only Vanney does that in MLS and its insane.
    Yes, BB does do minor adjustments. Little tweaks. He doesn't change his whole tactical approach. He has his teams play his style.

Vanney is more like the Euro managers he's studied, trains his teams in a variety of formations and tactics and makes sure they know all of them cold.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-29-2022 at 12:36 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Yes, BB does do minor adjustments. Little tweaks. He doesn't change his whole tactical approach. He has his teams play his style.

Vanney is more like the Euro managers he's studied, trains his teams in a variety of formations and tactics and makes sure they know all of them cold.
    it's almost like he has a coaching badge from French FA or something
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure where this should go… but in an interview with Molinaro published today, Vanney says he didn’t want to go, but Manning and Curtis were dragging their feet on an extension, which he expected between MLS Cup 2019 and July 2020, at which point he decided to start looking around…

fwiw