Bring him home

His bio still says:
    Athlete for Toronto FC
    Loaned to Santos FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An 18 month Pablo Piatti return would make some sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Bring him home

His bio still says:
    Athlete for Toronto FC
    Loaned to Santos FC

I’d have zero problem with him returning.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I noticed he has not even interacted with TFC's social media at all. Maybe it is because he doesn't want to upset Napoli supporters, but it is something we should keep an eye to.
    id imagine image rights stuff are pretty restrictive until july 1st of course

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    id imagine image rights stuff are pretty restrictive until july 1st of course
    Even when he signed the contract, a TFC logo or anything along that line was anywhere near him, a resect thing of sorts.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I’d have zero problem with him returning.
    totally agree. Sometimes the easiest solutions are the best ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From 'La Gazzetta dello Sport' they say that #TFCLive made an offer for Mertens ���� (35 years old), but the striker rejected it.
    this may be old news,or more bs,but it sure sounded from manning 2 wks ago that 3 signings were done and dusted,maybe jus more bs from manning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In random out of nowhere reports - Bradley out, Cannavaro in says a very sketchy Italian newspaper.

https://www.ilmattino.it/sport/calci...i-6662116.html
    This rumour gives me agita on the occasions I have thought about it over the last month.
    I do not believe it, but it is so left-field that it keeps giving me pause.
    Because it's not that sketchy of an Italian Newspaper. It has strong Napoli/Campagnia connects.
    So is it just more typical and fanciful footy nonsense? Or could it have been leaked for publication with a purpose?
    The Paper, Insigne and Cannavaro are all Napoli based.
    My worry is that this rumour has Chinese Whispers with an origin from the Insigne Camp.
    That it has been born by legitimate doubt... some sort of concern expressed and then media manifested against TFC's ongoing lacklustre performance and roster.

IIRC, when Giovinco arrived for the Y15 season we had MB and JA, the core of our Championships Team coached by GV was on its way to being mostly settled; the engine was warm and running. Yes, there would be some more tweaks; player additions along the way in the following seasons of Y16 and Y17 like DM, SB, TR and then VV and CM. Yet to me, it felt like there was a more collective, organizational, team and supporter, vision for progress and upward momentum in standings at that time. Youth had a place and role but the team seemed to be much more balanced and steady in ability and play.

Y15 Roster: https://www.statscrew.com/soccer/roster/t-TOR/y-2015
    Y15 Roster:https://www.statscrew.com/soccer/roster/t-TOR/y-2016
    Y16 Roster: https://www.statscrew.com/soccer/roster/t-TOR/y-2017

I get that we are in a rebuild. That in Bob The Builder we should trust. That it was past prime time to address player salary creep and aging. That we had to and we have finally shed or are shedding unwanted personnel and their contracts. The related tactics accomplished; Salcedo for Soteldo or JA to NER. That in the meantime we will be excessively playing and evaluating our youth assets through a few windows during this transition. That TFC has even experienced a few monkies in the wrenches of this rebuild; the departing of Auro, Delgado or Laryea? And that maybe BB is likely primarily striving for a 4-3-3 plug and play formation system.

However, I have always felt Insigne was a gift, the 'Kinder Surprise'; the unexpected opportunity that somehow presented itself to Manning early in the '5 Year Plan'. A way to leap frog and focus the rebuild given the recent past performance of that time. A way to address marketing and attendance concerns Post-Covid.

My fear is that Insigne may not have anticipated TFC's continued and current status woes. I doubt this sort of situation was part of any pitch. Regardless of all the Wagyu he's gonna get, from the top of SerieA to the depths of MLS is not that ideal at this time of his career. Would he think this situation is worthy of his stature?

I believe in Bob The Builder and that with Bill Manning, they have both been working to bring in at least another 3 to 4 players during this window. My question... will their effort be effective, will those players' quality strengthen us enough to keep Insigne engaged and maintain his interest through to the next window and into the end of next season during which more quality additions must be made. When further and other changes might also be in play; maybe including Mavinga, Osorio and/or Pozuelo?

I dread the real possibility of any immediate displeasure by Insigne having to be a part of and deal with too much team issues; too much 'transition'.
    Moreover, the probability of a Defoe 2.0 that has increased by Criscito's likely non arrival.
    IMO, apart from smart business, the hiring of a Paola de Cristofaro may also be viewed as a 'Canary In The Coal Mine'.
    If Kamil Jozwiak can end Miguel Angel Ramirez at Charlotte FC. Insigne can easily be either or both our Coach/GM and/or President killer.
    Regardless, if Masai Ujri is able to understand, appreciate, and support 'the rebuild' given his basketball NBA Raptors background.

Time will tell. I hope the next few weeks are really interesting; for everyone's sake.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 06-05-2022 at 10:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    This rumour gives me agita on the occasions I have thought about it over the last month.
    I do not believe it, but it is so left-field that it keeps giving me pause.
    Because it's not that sketchy of an Italian Newspaper. It has strong Napoli/Campagnia connects.
    So is it just more typical and fanciful footy nonsense? Or could it have been leaked for publication with a purpose?
    The Paper, Insigne and Cannavaro are all Napoli based.
    My worry is that this rumour has Chinese Whispers with an origin from the Insigne Camp.
    That it has been born by legitimate doubt... some sort of concern expressed and then media manifested against TFC's ongoing lacklustre performance and roster.

IIRC, when Giovinco arrived for the Y15 season we had MB and JA, the core of our Championships Team coached by GV was on its way to being mostly settled; the engine was warm and running. Yes, there would be some more tweaks; player additions along the way in the following seasons of Y16 and Y17 like DM, SB, TR and then VV and CM. Yet to me, it felt like there was a more collective, organizational, team and supporter, vision for progress and upward momentum in standings at that time. Youth had a place and role but the team seemed to be much more balanced and steady in ability and play.

Y15 Roster: https://www.statscrew.com/soccer/roster/t-TOR/y-2015
    Y15 Roster:https://www.statscrew.com/soccer/roster/t-TOR/y-2016
    Y16 Roster: https://www.statscrew.com/soccer/roster/t-TOR/y-2017

I get that we are in a rebuild. That in Bob The Builder we should trust. That it was past prime time to address player salary creep and aging. That we had to and we have finally shed or are shedding unwanted personnel and their contracts. The related tactics accomplished; Salcedo for Soteldo or JA to NER. That in the meantime we will be excessively playing and evaluating our youth assets through a few windows during this transition. That TFC has even experienced a few monkies in the wrenches of this rebuild; the departing of Auro, Delgado or Laryea? And that maybe BB is likely primarily striving for a 4-3-3 plug and play formation system.

However, I have always felt Insigne was a gift, the 'Kinder Surprise'; the unexpected opportunity that somehow presented itself to Manning early in the '5 Year Plan'. A way to leap frog and focus the rebuild given the recent past performance of that time. A way to address marketing and attendance concerns Post-Covid.

My fear is that Insigne may not have anticipated TFC's continued and current status woes. I doubt this sort of situation was part of any pitch. Regardless of all the Wagyu he's gonna get, from the top of SerieA to the depths of MLS is not that ideal at this time of his career. Would he think this situation is worthy of his stature?

I believe in Bob The Builder and that with Bill Manning, they have both been working to bring in at least another 3 to 4 players during this window. My question... will their effort be effective, will those players' quality strengthen us enough to keep Insigne engaged and maintain his interest through to the next window and into the end of next season during which more quality additions must be made. When further and other changes might also be in play; maybe including Mavinga, Osorio and/or Pozuelo?

I dread the real possibility of any immediate displeasure by Insigne having to be a part of and deal with too much team issues; too much 'transition'.
    Moreover, the probability of a Defoe 2.0 that has increased by Criscito's likely non arrival.
    IMO, apart from smart business, the hiring of a Paola de Cristofaro may also be viewed as a 'Canary In The Coal Mine'.
    If Kamil Jozwiak can end Miguel Angel Ramirez at Charlotte FC. Insigne can easily be either or both our Coach/GM and/or President killer.
    Regardless, if Masai Ujri is able to understand, appreciate, and support 'the rebuild' given his basketball NBA Raptors background.

Time will tell. I hope the next few weeks are really interesting; for everyone's sake.

Dude, it's a two-week old rumour as a story. I don't think there's a whit of truth to it, so you're worrying about nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Auro.. Part of me is thinking/hoping that he was loaned out just for him to be around familiar setting given the 2 year lock down.

I've always liked him, and we sure could use him now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Re: Auro.. Part of me is thinking/hoping that he was loaned out just for him to be around familiar setting given the 2 year lock down.

It would be pretty easy for a Toronto sports writer to track down him down and ask… LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I respect them both for their skill but it's worth noting that MB and Bob both have reputations for being ruthless about negativity.

There's a long list of people online who've criticized either Bob or Michael only to get dressed down by another member of the family on twitter or by email.

I suspect the first thing Bob did was ask who was open to being trained by him and who would be a problem. Lawrence, who allegedly was AWOL for training sessions, and Auro were probably both seen by MB as being negative influences.

It's really the only thing that explains getting rid of both veteran wingbacks with no replacements, at the last minute.

Plus, it probably sat as both a message Bradley could send -- no one gets a pass from slacking -- and as a challenge to him personally to turn youth players into wingbacks, or at least competent backups.

I don't know who's right or wrong, but it all definitely reeked of team politics.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    From 'La Gazzetta dello Sport' they say that #TFCLive made an offer for Mertens ���� (35 years old), but the striker rejected it.
    this may be old news,or more bs,but it sure sounded from manning 2 wks ago that 3 signings were done and dusted,maybe jus more bs from manning
    i think this was from the fall

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Micheal Singh mentioned that "TFC were open to a former player returning". So it could be him.
    He would make the most sense as that is one of the position we desperately need help at and he has shown to be MLS capable.

It's low hanging fruit, but it ain't rotten.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just looked up "Auro Jr" on twitter. Seems fans aren't too impressed with him, so not to impossible to see Santos cancelling the loan and he returns. Depending on the terms of the loan agreement. I remember when we loaned out Gilberto, Vasco de Gama cancelled the loan early and then he had to come back so we had to give him to Chicago for free because he was a 4th DP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Micheal Singh mentioned that "TFC were open to a former player returning". So it could be him.
    He would make the most sense as that is one of the position we desperately need help at and he has shown to be MLS capable.

It's low hanging fruit, but it ain't rotten.
    The major issue with our defending is our outside backs inability to track wingers. Bring Auro back, sign Crisito, and our defensive issues will improve over night.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I respect them both for their skill but it's worth noting that MB and Bob both have reputations for being ruthless about negativity.

There's a long list of people online who've criticized either Bob or Michael only to get dressed down by another member of the family on twitter or by email.

I suspect the first thing Bob did was ask who was open to being trained by him and who would be a problem. Lawrence, who allegedly was AWOL for training sessions, and Auro were probably both seen by MB as being negative influences.
    Last year was a shit show - that was a low point for the club and the players. I'm sure some guys tried their best to stay positive and make the most of the situation and others just added fuel to the fire. When things get bad, you really get a sense of people's personalities and mentalities - do they crack under pressure or do they rise up and try and make the best out of whatever is there.

if I'm building a team from scratch, I don't want people with weak attitudes around shitting on the rebuild.
    As our captain, I have to trust MB is able to identify the weeds of the group in an unbiased way.

We all saw how much influence he had in that first rebuild in 2014 - that seemed to turn out ok. Gotta trust he can do it again.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    The major issue with our defending is our outside backs inability to track wingers. Bring Auro back, sign Crisito, and our defensive issues will improve over night.
    i agree with this. i think once we get a couple of fullbacks in (and another CDM) our defence will be decent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last year was a shit show - that was a low point for the club and the players. I'm sure some guys tried their best to stay positive and make the most of the situation and others just added fuel to the fire. When things get bad, you really get a sense of people's personalities and mentalities - do they crack under pressure or do they rise up and try and make the best out of whatever is there.

if I'm building a team from scratch, I don't want people with weak attitudes around shitting on the rebuild.
    As our captain, I have to trust MB is able to identify the weeds of the group in an unbiased way.

We all saw how much influence he had in that first rebuild in 2014 - that seemed to turn out ok. Gotta trust he can do it again.
    What if he's part of the issue?

Genuine question, not saying he is, but putting this kind of trust in a player - and frankly one without a track record of winning big trophies consistently whose been on this team for more bad seasons than good - seems really, really questionable no matter who that player is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    i agree with this. i think once we get a couple of fullbacks in (and another CDM) our defence will be decent.
    Yes - agreed that we need another central midfielder.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    What if he's part of the issue?

Genuine question, not saying he is, but putting this kind of trust in a player - and frankly one without a track record of winning big trophies consistently whose been on this team for more bad seasons than good - seems really, really questionable no matter who that player is
    ya I gotta disagree with you on this one.

5/8 seasons he's been here we've had some sort of success. You can't blame the injury riddled 2018 season or the 2021 coaching and injury debacle seasons even partially on him.

His track record is here with our club - all the success we've had was when he was with the team. prior to that we were losers.

I won't put all the success on him and his presence - but to say he has a negative impact on this club is very very very short sighted...even crazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya I gotta disagree with you on this one.

5/8 seasons he's been here we've had some sort of success. You can't blame the injury riddled 2018 season or the 2021 coaching and injury debacle seasons even partially on him.

His track record is here with our club - all the success we've had was when he was with the team. prior to that we were losers.

I won't put all the success on him and his presence - but to say he has a negative impact on this club is very very very short sighted...even crazy.
    I sort of understand the argument.

I don't know how much of it I agree with, or if I'm qualified to discern whether a player's downsides outweigh the good.

But it's certainly arguable that when he went down with injury in 2020 and we had Oso teamed with Delgado, we were darn near unbeatable. Once he came back, we started losing midfield control and eventually we lost the supporters shield to Philly by one point.

I'm not saying he was entirely the difference, but a number of us commented at the time how much better we looked when he wasn't in there.

Most games, he does several things really well and helps the team. But he'd never been a great defender, and without being able to catch up to younger players ina rapidly developing lead, he's mostly stuck in a defensive role.

He is NOT always starting quality out there anymore. He has off days and games where he's running around a lot but not breaking much up or not advancing play much. His passing, which used to be on a dime, is more erratic now.

His work ethic is usually strong but his leadership style has been criticized ever since the U.S. Nats disastrous run under Kljnsmann. A number of his US teammates commented publicly on how hard he could be.

Now, take those concerns and add them to the doubtless excessive weight his opinion holds with our manager
    and the obvious nepotism Issues, and I can see why the question would be asked.

My take is that it's a bit moot right now. If we had a full, competitive and healthy roster, his father might be a realist and he'd see less time. But we are where we are, until
    tbey bring in new blood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! Auro!! Yes please.
    We have no full backs (or rather one, Chung).
    Any reasonable full back would be transformational for the team's performance.
    Auro is more than reasonable.
    Although it still doesn't answer the question of why we began the season with a squad with no full backs = the shitshow we are seeing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After the way he played the other night, I’d take Ashtone Morgan back in a heartbeat. But then some of us suggested that before the season started. Seemed a no-brainer.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lil'John View Post
    Although it still doesn't answer the question of why we began the season with a squad with no full backs = the shitshow we are seeing.
    I think it was supposed to be the JMR showcase that hasn’t worked out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC and Atlanta United linked to Monterrey keeper, Hugo Gonzalez https://www.tudn.mx/liga-mx/futbol-e...-de-la-liga-mx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to see the team is out there looking to upgrade the GK position. 31 is a prime age for a keeper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonzalez is on loan at Juarez from Monterrey. His loan expires on June 30th so this could be a realistic transfer. However one of Bono or Westberg would likely need to be dealt or sold. We already spend way too much money on the GK position.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonzalez is on loan at Juarez from Monterrey. His loan expires on June 30th so this could be a realistic transfer. However one of Bono or Westberg would likely need to be dealt or sold. We already spend way too much money on the GK position.

hopefully they have a trade for bono lined up.

could explain his recent benching.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I sort of understand the argument.

I don't know how much of it I agree with, or if I'm qualified to discern whether a player's downsides outweigh the good.

But it's certainly arguable that when he went down with injury in 2020 and we had Oso teamed with Delgado, we were darn near unbeatable. Once he came back, we started losing midfield control and eventually we lost the supporters shield to Philly by one point.

I'm not saying he was entirely the difference, but a number of us commented at the time how much better we looked when he wasn't in there.

Most games, he does several things really well and helps the team. But he'd never been a great defender, and without being able to catch up to younger players ina rapidly developing lead, he's mostly stuck in a defensive role.

He is NOT always starting quality out there anymore. He has off days and games where he's running around a lot but not breaking much up or not advancing play much. His passing, which used to be on a dime, is more erratic now.

His work ethic is usually strong but his leadership style has been criticized ever since the U.S. Nats disastrous run under Kljnsmann. A number of his US teammates commented publicly on how hard he could be.

Now, take those concerns and add them to the doubtless excessive weight his opinion holds with our manager
    and the obvious nepotism Issues, and I can see why the question would be asked.

My take is that it's a bit moot right now. If we had a full, competitive and healthy roster, his father might be a realist and he'd see less time. But we are where we are, until
    tbey bring in new blood.
    I agree with you about his play. We're are on the same page there.
    I agree with you about him not being a starter - his starting days should've ended in 2020 - but don't forget Marky Delgado went down with an injury for a big portion of the final 1/3 of the season. I think he was brought back as a necessity. I would say the same thing in 2021 and 2022 - who else do you put there as a legit replacement?

But that's not where my thoughts were on my original post - I was more talking about his opinion and evaluation of players that are "TFC quality". Guys who embody what it means to be a TFC player. I won't question the evaluation he gave Daddy Bradley about the squad at the end of 2021 and who needed to go and who needed to stay. I believe he had influence on what sort of on field personality and work ethic came into the team since he's been here.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 06-07-2022 at 10:15 AM.