Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In front of 100,000 people at the Azteca last night.

Discuss.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.busi...-mexico-2017-6
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's to discuss? That was awesome to hear the Azteca hushed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    In front of 100,000 people at the Azteca last night.

Discuss.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.busi...-mexico-2017-6

as Ray Hudson would say, "Golazo-azo-azo whoooooo"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought all game, well, if the US lose, we'll still have that MB goal. And then he nearly did got another one, but pinged off the frame. Only if...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also - important to note that USMNT have scored a total of six goals at Azteca, ever. The last one was in 2012.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to read the play like that, then finish it off.

wow

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The thing that impresses me, apart from the obviously brilliant finish, is the first touch to get into space beyond their central midfielder. He was two steps ahead right from the moment they made the pass he intercepted. It was a great play before he even got to the point of shooting.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems as though our two TFC American internationals don't get a lot of respect with American soccer fans (at least if Twitter is at all representative, lol). Coincidence?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AND, we are damn lucky to have him as our captain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    AND, we are damn lucky to have him as our captain.
    Totally. Although even here he gets criticized more than I'd think. On this board it's not unusual to see someone saying we should get rid of him and use that money elsewhere. I don't think everyone totally understands how important it is to have his steel in the middle of the pitch. He really holds the whole team together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone who says we should get rid of him, or we could get someone better doesn't understand the game at all. He was our best player in the playoffs last year. Guy is a freak of nature. People forget this guy started on a top serie a team. One of the best players the US has produced in the last 20 years.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    It seems as though our two TFC American internationals don't get a lot of respect with American soccer fans (at least if Twitter is at all representative, lol). Coincidence?
    There is a significant portion of USMNT twitterland that sees MLS as a mistake for Bradley and Altidore. When you try explaining to them what working with Seba and Vasquez does for them, their eyes glaze over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    There is a significant portion of USMNT twitterland that sees MLS as a mistake for Bradley and Altidore. When you try explaining to them what working with Seba and Vasquez does for them, their eyes glaze over.
    In one word, Daft

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All that's missing is this game call.

Magnificent goal!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the crowd reaction to that goal last night. They all throw their hands up close to their heads, in unison.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Magnificent goal!
    that made my f**ken day. I love passionate calls like that and the Lex Luthor bit caused me to bust out laughing at the office. good thing they are all footy fans here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mostly about other things, but some interesting sour grapes about Bradley in here.

I don’t buy it re Michael, but worth reading

https://www.theringer.com/2018/6/5/1...ti-bruce-arena
    Last edited by ensco; 06-05-2018 at 09:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Mostly about other things, but some interesting sour grapes about Bradley in here.

I don’t buy it re Michael, but worth reading

https://www.theringer.com/2018/6/5/1...ti-bruce-arena

Interesting read - gives plebs like me an (assumed accurate-ish) view of the US soccer system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Magnificent goal!

Lol amazing. Lol lex luthor. But the screams were insane lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Jozy being signed you have to think Bradley is next.

I hope Bradley stays and retires as a red.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me too - I was pretty critical of Bradley during the Bloody Big Deal season...but I grew to appreciate him more when he didn't try to do everything.

I'd extend his DP deal by a couple of years and offer a TAM season & then a transition into a coaching role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He needs to be a TAM player asap. If he continues to be a DP after this year, we won't be competive.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    He needs to be a TAM player asap. If he continues to be a DP after this year, we won't be competive.
    100%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be good with one more DP year added on to this one and then a couple TAM years.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There seems to be an issue with the team not playing with the same energy that they used to. People are wondering if it's the coach, the personnel, or what.

Given that Michael was the heart of the team's work rate in the past, I'm wondering if his contract situation is affecting his attitude and consequently the attitude of the team.

It's obvious by now that the team has not picked up his option year, or it would have been announced. My gut feeling is that they made him a lowball offer like they did Giovinco and he's not biting.

I expect him to leave at the end of the season to go play for his dad. He's not going to sign a TAM deal for TFC. While he's a professional in every sense of the word and won't force a transfer like Seba did, it's gotta affect his energy and desire.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LAFC don't have a DP slot open.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    LAFC don't have a DP slot open.
    Brian Rodriguez is a 19 yo "young DP" signing with interest from Europe. You sign someone like him to develop, showcase, and resell. I can easily see him transferred out next year leaving room for Michael. In the meantime they have Rodriguez's services.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    There seems to be an issue with the team not playing with the same energy that they used to. People are wondering if it's the coach, the personnel, or what.

Given that Michael was the heart of the team's work rate in the past, I'm wondering if his contract situation is affecting his attitude and consequently the attitude of the team.

It's obvious by now that the team has not picked up his option year, or it would have been announced. My gut feeling is that they made him a lowball offer like they did Giovinco and he's not biting.

I expect him to leave at the end of the season to go play for his dad. He's not going to sign a TAM deal for TFC. While he's a professional in every sense of the word and won't force a transfer like Seba did, it's gotta affect his energy and desire.
    I get the feeling he's checked out... he always had heartfelt post game interviews after every game, whether the team played good or bad, and I could be wrong but I haven't seen one in a few weeks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michael has made $36M here and will therefore be a highly unusual free agent. The difference between what teams might offer him will have negligible impact on his net worth. Paying top dollar won't matter.

The LAFC stuff seems unlikely to me. Seems like a misread of the guy. Guys like Bradley want to compete with their Dad, not play for their Dad (and this is what made him great in big games btw)

I highly doubt Bradley will be a DP anywhere. But if he has to be a TAM player, I bet he leaves, he is much more likely to do that for a US based team, maybe somewhere where he can start building roots for his life after his playing days. That could be anywhere, and frankly a ton of teams could use the name recognition of Bradley more than LAFC would. Although if his wife loves Toronto, then he will maybe stay. But she is not from here, so I highly doubt that. I think he is 100% gone, he knows it, and that's what we are seeing.

Much more likely that he winds up in Columbus (probably my best guess - Bez needs to do something, and Columbus is a big USMNT town), Chicago or Philadelphia, than LAFC. I would also keep an eye on Seattle. This would be right up their alley (kind of like what they did with Chad Marshall). A good longshot bet is Michael going to Seattle now, before the deadline, imho.

Wild ass guess - I bet his next deal includes a path to management. That is I suspect what he is thinking about. Kind of like what Rooney just did.
    Last edited by ensco; 08-12-2019 at 09:31 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No matter where he ends up, if he's checked out that would explain the change in this team.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto