0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by

[Tweet
    https://twitter.com/MichaelSingh94/status/1411751093256687617?s=20[/tweet]
    Is this guy for real??? I would not want Caldwell as our coach. I can just envision him playing Bono ahead of Q.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After some of the comments after the presser about Armas having to follow a front office plan, I wonder if he isn’t a scapegoat for Ali Curtis,
    there were several times during this horrible run when we started playing “Vanney ball” ie controlling possession; I wonder if he agreed To stick to Curtis’ plan but gave them some leash a few times.

tougn to see Bradley and Pozuelo being so wrong.

maybe what actually happened with Joey is he told Armas to grow a spine and defy Ali’s plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning looks like kind of pissed and Curtis looks scared and apprehensive. Definetly feels like Manning put his foot down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really strange conference. It's like they woke up this morning, saw the backlash, then made a decision. No prepared statements. You would think the guy taking over would be among your first announcements, was only mentioned because John asked, like an afterthought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Manning looks like kind of pissed and Curtis looks scared and apprehensive. Definetly feels like Manning put his foot down.
    Yeah he does look mad, guy is staring at the ceiling when Ali speaks. lmao.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning looked like he was selling himself. Like he was on the hot seat too. Answered well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ali had no words and looked like a deer caught in headlights. He kept repeating his script and piggy backed off of Manning multiple times. Another role being exposed big time.

I lol'ed when he was trying to elaborate on how tough it was to fire Chris and how he's never been in such a situation.

Aside from all this, I do feel for Chris and his family.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It had to be done, regardless of whether or not we can salvage this season.

I'm willing to give Manning and Curtis another kick at the can. We have had some success the last few years and I have no issues overall with player recruitment since Bez departed for Columbus. Armas was just the wrong manager with the wrong vision for this team as it's currently constructed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Manning looked like he was selling himself. Like he was on the hot seat too. Answered well

Yeh, that was my take.

I would say the journos this last 2 weeks have been emboldened to ask hard pointed questions.

Noted the Manning suggestion the style change was too big an ask - Curtis tried to downplay that but Manning was way more blunt.

It sounds like he took Curtis down a bit before this meeting.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 07-04-2021 at 05:47 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

& yes...Vic Rauter asked a very good & tough question, in his good guy way.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yeh, that was my take.

I would say the journos this last 2 weeks have been emboldened to ask hard pointed questions.

Noted the Manning suggestion the style change was too big an ask - Curtis tried to downplay that but Manning was way more blunt.

It sounds like he took Curtis down a bit before this meeting.
    Noticed that too, journos asked tough questions this time. Bill answered and appreciated, Ali looked quite nervous and lost for words (not that he ever says anything meaningful)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are Curtis and Manning even going to be trusted to make another hire if results do not improve? Neither said much about a coaching search beginning anytime soon. Almost sounded like their future depends on what happens in the next 3 months.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    After some of the comments after the presser about Armas having to follow a front office plan, I wonder if he isn’t a scapegoat for Ali Curtis,
    Didn't Armas play a pressing style with the Red Bulls? In that case it's on Armas.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Didn't Armas play a pressing style with the Red Bulls? In that case it's on Armas.
    His interim shift was just a carry on of Marsh's NYRB press and it was fine. Then in his first whole season he tried some weird press but with possession and it failed. Same as here. He repeated the same script exactly so he'll never learn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally!

The season's pretty much over for us, so we have to think about bringing a really good coach to put us back on tracks and prepare for 2022.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perez seems like a decent enough choice, because it’s interim. It’s hard to have much faith in another choice by Curtis, but maybe Manning will have to be more involved this time. Which could be a good thing because it makes them both culpable for the next choice of coach. I’d rather see Curtis or Manning or both fired first though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    One of the worst things about this is a guy losing his job. I'm glad it happened, because he was the wrong guy. But it was unfair to Armas in the first place to tell him to fit round pegs in square holes.

You cannot ask a series of veteran players, several of whom are far more talented than he was (albeit he was a good midfielder), to suddenly play a drastically different style of football and role. These are not MLS 1.0 pluggers; these are guys with pedigrees and pretty specific -- and often quite narrow -- ideal skill sets.

Under Vanney, most had a role that played to that strength. If we'd had eleven quick pitbulls, we'd probably have pressed more. He was smart enough to adapt the team to the players we can get here, not the other way around. In a cap league, that's essential.

Curtis clearly, absolutely, does not get any of this. A string of MLS journeymen are decent for plugging holes but they're not first teamers. Omar was crocked, for the most part, when he left LA for Mexico (or over his peak, anyway). Mullins is a perennial backup due to injuries, same with DeLeon. Putting these guys out there with Pozuelo, Osorio and Soteldo on a regular basis is like putting lawnmower fuel mixture in a Porsche.

He's an MLS 1.0 player, as was Armas ,and they have that mindset. Manning probably enjoyed hiring them because it put him above two former teammates who both made it to MLS when he didn't, just ego gratification. I did that once as an editor, hired a guy I'd worked with when I was an 18 year old junior reporter and he was the senior dude. It was disastrous, because he was disastrous, and I was immature.

Ultimately, these three all have to go or we're fucked. There will be no Tata, no Vanney, no Alonso waiting in the wings, because who would coach under these two? I'm sure by now they've been figured out by their peers.
    Has the ring of truth Mr Loome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    Cripes that was weird to watch. Only was able to watch a couple of mins of that before even CP24 had enough

Also I may be in the minority but I'm not crazy about having our new coach be one of the assistants who was working during the Armas reign. The Chris rightfully got most of the criticism but surely his assistants share some of the responsibility here. I know this is only an interim hire but I would have preferred Munoz. Still a better hire than Caldwell mind you
    I know Caldwell doesn't get much love here, but he does have his UEFA "A" licence. It's something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Perez is fine. I think we want interim. You do not want a real hire.

Manning and Ali are now on the clock.

Look like a real team from here on and maybe some of you stay, if you don't, see ya (and in truth, it's see ya unless something really incredible happens a la Seattle 2016)

Everybody needs to be evaluated at season end, at least that is my hope.

That is how a serious club does it.
    Also, Manning has (indirectly) pegged his future to that of Curtis. He could and should have shown him the door. But now their fates are inextricably intertwined.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The idea of Caldwell as coach is fascinating. I can see him either being great, or the next Preki.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The tiff with Jozy is a bit of a blemish but that was brewing for a long time before Armas got here. It wouldn't surprise me to learn ultimately that Jozy's real beef was elsewhere.

Armas was, by most accounts, a gentleman, and well liked.

He joins Winter as guys that were not the right guys for the job, were in impossible situations and, I predict, like Winter, will be looked back on in time with more of a feeling of sympathy and affection.

I hope he makes lots of dough from his brief stint here and lands on his feet.

Also congratulations to him on the Leon tie. That was something special, playing the kids and getting that.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-04-2021 at 09:00 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That presser..... Most work Curtis has ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Need SOMEBODY taking care of the defence

Last edited by Brooker; 07-04-2021 at 11:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Also, Manning has (indirectly) pegged his future to that of Curtis. He could and should have shown him the door. But now their fates are inextricably intertwined.
    As I wrote in the Armas thread, Manning (as he needed to highlight himself in the press conference) had a good track record over the years. X number of MLS Cups, Y Number of Supporter Shields and Z number of playoff appearances. He was cruising along.

Then comes Ali Curtis who seemed to have tried to instill a top down approach after Vanney left. Maybe the reason Vanney left? It has blown up spectacularly, whatever this was turned a top team into a laughing stock. I cant think of any other MLS team that went from top of the league to complete disaster over 4 months.

Manning was siting pretty now his reputation is completely trashed because he believed in Curtis giving him a 5 year contract! And presiding over Armas' 3 year contract. He will be under imnmense scrutiny for handing out 2+ million $ to the backroom staff that haven't justified it. Not even going to get into the bad player signings/re-signings like Dwyer, Morrow, Lawrence (great at NYRB, nothing special at TFC).
    Last edited by SirBobSaget; 07-04-2021 at 11:11 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    It had to be done, regardless of whether or not we can salvage this season.

I'm willing to give Manning and Curtis another kick at the can. We have had some success the last few years and I have no issues overall with player recruitment since Bez departed for Columbus. Armas was just the wrong manager with the wrong vision for this team as it's currently constructed.
    Wow, TFC has had a ton of problems with player recruitment and signings under Curtis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I had the same feeling.
    (I have just watched the conference now.)

Plus Curtis said absolutely nothing meaningful in the smallest... but what else one can expect of him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not too much more to say about this situation, I will just copy here what I have posted in the presser's Youtube comments section:

At minimum, Curtis should have been fired too, even if of course Manning is "guilty" too in the same way as Curtis in this disastrous season (and not only - the warning signs were here in how they managed everything in the last 2 years or so...).

I am firmly convinced that until both these clowns are in these positions, TFC will never be the team with the results which should be expected given the resources and the supporter base of this club.

Ultimately, the MLSE board is at fault here, because being a multi-billion corporate entity, also with many sports teams owned, they simply do not care enough about TFC's on field performances. TFC is considered a very distant third fiddle in importance after the Maple Leafs and Raptors, both also owned by MLSE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something interesting to watch now:

If in the next few matches TFC will play a LOT better as a team, or more importantly, a LOT better individually than in the last 3-4 ones (even if the results would be the same points-wise in the standings), that will be a very clear indication that an important chunk of the roster have stopped playing for Armas in these last 3-4 matches.
    This because no matter what, a new interim coach will not make that much of an impact in a very short time, to suggest otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Really strange conference. It's like they woke up this morning, saw the backlash, then made a decision. No prepared statements. You would think the guy taking over would be among your first announcements, was only mentioned because John asked, like an afterthought.
    Definitely did not leave you with the impression they are up for this job, Ali especially.

Note Leiweke was so good at this sort of pageantry it had the aspect of making TFC look bigger than what it is. Meanwhile, what we saw yesterday and plenty of times before, leaves you with the impression TFC isn’t even a professional outfit.

We are owned by a couple of media companies and our management team is failing at producing content. Can that really be ignored by the powers that be?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some thoughts on whose next here.. all speculation of course

https://mlsmultiplex.com/2021/07/04/...xt-head-coach/