View Poll Results: Do you approve of the job Preki is doing as head coach of TFC?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

127 67.20%
  • No

62 32.80%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    So you think that a coach should work with team they get stuck with? Our biggest problem was cap space. We paid down our cap last year with a bunch of allocations, allocations we didn't have this year. There was no way we could have filled out the roster and stayed under the cap with last year's squad. So something had to happen.

I give Preki credit for having the balls to clean house. Guevara was an asset, but was neither consistent nor would he have been 100% focused with the WC campaign for Honduras. Robbo was injury riddled and overpaid, his recent knee injury shows this again. Love the guy, but he wasn't the two way player that Preki wants, neither is Guevara.

Look at Chivas this year. Basically the same team, but without Preki, and they're two losses from two games, no goals, 3 against.

Preki has been noted for getting the best out of his players, for a minimal cost. That's (to me anyway) so obvious with the moves he's made so far, so why not give him a chance to prove himself before cutting him down?
    Exactly. TFC is in their current roster predicament because Preki evaluated the incumbent players in the preseason, identified the individuals that didn't fit in with his system, and traded\released them with no regard to their contract status. Other than Garcia, I have no issue with his personnel decisions thus far...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering Preki has yet to win an MLS Cup in his 1 game with us, I should've voted no.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's too early.
    he'll have to clear out the deadwood. get new players and get them playing his system. then we can start to have a more educated discussion instead of emotional response to the performance so far.
    it will be a long season for us. this can't be fixed or changed over night. mid to late season to start showing results IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thing is, I've noticed that the team already has way more cohesion and seems to work as a unit.

So in that sense, I think Preki HAS done a good job with the limited time/personnel so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I must confes I did not see enough of the Columbus game, alot of it I heard, so I am judging moslty on pre-season. I trust you judgment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After one match?

You might as well ask:

Has grass at BMO improved TFC's performance?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YES!!! hahaha Professor, that's probably the most accurate post yet.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a little naive to say that a person cannot have an opinion of Preki's job to this point.

Having an opinion of what he has done so far, with what he has, isn't a hard thing to do. You simply take into account all current factors, including the roster handicaps and ask yourself whether he has done as good a job as is possible or not?

That isn't exactly a difficult thing to do, nor is it the equivalent of saying that this is a conclusive evaluation of Preki overall or of the entire season. It's pretty self-explanatory that this is an opinion of what he has done to this point. I mean, the man has been with the team for almost 5 months now, it's not like he arrive yesterday.

Every job and every person gets evaluated on an ongoing basis from the very beginning of his job. Usually from the first day. It may not be a complete or conclusive evaluation but it forms part of an ongoing opinion. For us to excuse Preki just because the roster is not complete is a silly position to take considering TFC's history of NEVER having a static roster. Does that mean he will never be evaluated?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roogs, I would agree. I just don't think we've see enough along with we don't have enough information to judge ACCURATELY.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was hoping to look at his season as an entire body of work, not month by month but that's just me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    I was hoping to look at his season as an entire body of work, not month by month but that's just me.
    That's what I'm saying. The guy is basically blowing up anything that resembled TFC pre-Preki... and is reassembling a completely new looking and feeling squad. It's not an overnight process.

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post

Having an opinion of what he has done so far, with what he has, isn't a hard thing to do. You simply take into account all current factors, including the roster handicaps and ask yourself whether he has done as good a job as is possible or not?
    FWIW, I think Koryo accurately answered all your criteria already...

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post
    Okay then, if rating him to-date:

1. he's making hard choices now in terms of clearing out salary that will serve us well down the road.

2. we're a better organized side.

The way he's going about it though, we're not going to see dividends until the end of this season at the earliest.

Johnston still has to go. Preki on the other hand... give him time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the moves he has made so far, although we don't have solid striking options and are defense is still thin.

With regards to the poll, I like having it now but we also need one at the 15 game mark and one when we win the MLS Cup at the end of the season () to ascertain our changing feelings and opinions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

an opinion about it is ok. but you know how these threads can get. one minute it's a bit of talk about the performance next thing somebody will want a banner with a "message"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when he cuts Garcia and Brennan his job will start... yup i said it!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From an analytical point of view, that is a foolish way to form an opinion. Because there will always be justifications to take another year or two into account. In the meantime, you're not going to form any opinion whatsoever? Nobody does that.

If that were the case, we wouldn't have so many Garcia-haters on here...after all, he hasn't spent an entire season here either.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I'm saying. The guy is basically blowing up anything that resembled TFC pre-Preki... and is reassembling a completely new looking and feeling squad. It's not an overnight process.

FWIW, I think Koryo accurately answered all your criteria already...

In other words, there are reasons for people to form a positive opinion on him right?

So there IS enough to form SOME sort of opinion on him, even if it's based on limited data and will require more information as it is forthcoming.

Therefore all these posts about it being "too soon" are batty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In other words, there are reasons for people to form a positive opinion on him right?

So there IS enough to form SOME sort of opinion on him, even if it's based on limited data and will require more information as it is forthcoming.

Therefore all these posts about it being "too soon" are batty.

Actually, I believe I said that it's too soon to form an accurate opinion of Preki.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accuracy is not a practical goal when discussing opinions.

Facts and accuracy are different things.

Accuracy requires a standard, a gauge. And more importantly, consensus. And if there is anything in sport that is almost impossible to achieve, it's consensus.

Therefore, there never will be a time when we can form an accurate opinion on Preki or any other coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure you can. When Preki has had at least half a season, to tinker and work with the squad he's put together. Then we can accurately assess the good/bad things he's done and come up with a general consensus.

At this point, we've had nothing concrete to assess him on. Preseason? Nah, considering we had basically no team. Columbus? Nah, still not really a team and still dropping/adding players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure you can. When Preki has had at least half a season, to tinker and work with the squad he's put together. Then we can accurately assess the good/bad things he's done and come up with a general consensus.

At this point, we've had nothing concrete to assess him on. Preseason? Nah, considering we had basically no team. Columbus? Nah, still not really a team and still dropping/adding players.
    Just remember, last year TFC started off good in pre-season, had a decent start to the MLS season (2-2-2) and look at how good that turned out.

I have to agree that such an early opinion would be un-fair.................but that's just my opinion. Give him time to work with what he's got (or lack there of), let him try to form some chemistry and a proper formation/starting squad.

But if you want an answer now...........I'd say he's doing alright with what he's got.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly Herr Hawk.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From an analytical point of view, that is a foolish way to form an opinion. Because there will always be justifications to take another year or two into account. In the meantime, you're not going to form any opinion whatsoever? Nobody does that.

If that were the case, we wouldn't have so many Garcia-haters on here...after all, he hasn't spent an entire season here either.
    Those are two totally different situations. Preki has been at the helm for all of 1 competitive match.

Sorry...I thought I was been rational.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are two totally different situations. Preki has been at the helm for all of 1 competitive match.

Sorry...I thought I was been rational.
    So then what you are saying is that he should only be judged based on the number of competitive matches.

So he should not be judged on his roster decisions.

He should not be judged on how he has handled roster decisions.

He should not be judged on formations he has tinkered with in exhibition matches. Whether TFC looked more or less organized in Columbus had nothing to do with Preki, it was just a fluke.

He should not be judged on how he is training players.

Because none of that would be rational.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You misunderstand. Consensus on the gauge of accuracy, because you said that at some point we can "accurately" gauge his performance and I am tellng you that is an impossibility with 20 months under his belt, let alone 20 games. In sport, everyone has an opinion on where that standard should be. Will you be happy with a 6th spot in the league? Somebody else will be happy with an 8th spot. And others will only be happy with a deep run in the playoffs. After 4 years on these boards, do you really think there will be a consensus of what would entail a "satisfactory" performance from this team?

Opinions have nothing to do with what is "concrete" and everything to do with feeling and with intuition. At this point, is there enough to at least formulate an informed opinion on the man? Sure there is! Is it a conclusive opinion? Of course not! But since there is enough movement and play for at least an informed progressive opinion on him, why the objection to discussing it? If this roster continues to be a shambles all season long and Mo gives Preki nothing to work with for the entire season, will there be nothing to gauge Preki's performance? Of course not! Everyone will formulate an opinion based on the factors to be considered, including the time he's had and the player's he's been given. The source of information will not be different 20 games from now that isn't there now and there is nothing inhibiting us from starting that analysis now that can't be added to as time progresses. The only thing that changes is the quantity of data that comes our way upon which the progressive opinion will be formulated. And of course, that will change over time. It always does.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 04-05-2010 at 01:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somebody better let Roogsy know that Kavanagh has hijacked his account.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So then what you are saying is that he should only be judged based on the number of competitive matches.

So he should not be judged on his roster decisions.

He should not be judged on how he has handled roster decisions.

He should not be judged on formations he has tinkered with in exhibition matches. Whether TFC looked more or less organized in Columbus had nothing to do with Preki, it was just a fluke.

He should not be judged on how he is training players.

Because none of that would be rational.
    Overanalyze all you want bro.

I haven't even seen this team play live yet.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post
    Somebody better let Roogsy know that Kavanagh has hijacked his account.
    That was low.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^
    LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was low.
    Sorry man, I couldn't resist

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overanalyze all you want bro.

I haven't even seen this team play live yet.
    Or don't analyze at all?