Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe we should have gotten our lockers CFL retrofitted!!!
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should sign four academy players...our max allocation, 2 on developmental and 2 on Gen A...heck, we need somebody to play on the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man, I was trying to stay positive but this thread (which you're right btw) totally killed it for me. If we get off a slow start, I hope Mo gets fired right away so he can't do anymore damage to our team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    We are the most consistently understaffed franchise in MLS in the past three seasons Parkie.
    At least part of that is, IMO, because of salary cap issues. TFC has been better toward its players than some other teams, using fewer players so they can be paid more. Having 25 guys on a roster that can only dress 18 for a game, especially when we haven't had to worry about other games (outside of the league, such as Champions League) seems a bit of a waste. There isn't the kind of depth available at the dollars that need to be spent to get it.

And personally, I wonder if the status of the CBA plays any kind of role in this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    We are the most consistently understaffed franchise in MLS in the past three seasons Parkie.
    QFT

Mo's idea is you sacrifice depth to have higher quality players. Didn't work out. Will he change his ways? I'd be surprised. Not like he may look at the more succcessful franchises and see the depth they had. Mo's problem is he has spent too much money on crappy players. LAst season, peel off 150 off of the argie, and 100 off of Barrett, and you have 2 more players you can pay.

Last year, we didn't have a big enough roster to play 11v11 scrimmages for almost the entire season.

There is a reason why we had to play so many players out of position.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    It basically boils down to this Oss....would Preki do better with or without all his players in training camp sooner rather than later?

To me the answer is quite obvious, the sooner he has all the players he will be working with, the better.

So Mo is already handcuffing Preki's performance right from the start because of his own incompetence. Heading into training camp, you should be able to count on one hand alone the amount of players left to sign. That is not the case is it currently stands. Benchplayers or not, we should not be in this situation having endured an entire season of it last year and which the problems that should have been addressed have been with us since Season TWO!

Aw crap...I am getting worked up again...I am signing off. Mo is going to give me an aneurism. 3 years of the same crap before the season begins. This guy doesn't know what he is doing, end of story.
    cant say i disagree with you at all, and it is a bit unnerving that this is far from uncommon with regards to our team, i do to a certain extent think that alot of factors come into this (especially this year with the CBA etc) but it doesnt defend that you see a boatload of players coming into other teams and we've heard of but a few trialists

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the roster numbers Bignewf lists are incorrect. those come from the MLSNET site I think but MLSNET hasn't updated it to reflect the latest moves. For example, I took a quick look and noticed that FC Dallas has 3 guys (I think) listed in the MLSNET roster who are either gone or on the way out. As well, Chivas has Harmse still on its roster. Huckerby is still listed as with San Jose. And that's just a quick glance...

So the numbers are not accurate at this point. I don't know at this point if TFC indeed has the smallest roster in MLS.
    Last edited by rocker; 02-03-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    I got that from here:

KristianJack
    In case any1 is wondering who Stefan Frei is talking about as the 3rd goalie 'Adam' in TFC camp it is Canadian youngster Adam Street.
    That's interesting. Wonder if he's going to be on loan or what, I thought he was a success in the West Ham system.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be a pretty staunch Mo supporter. I turned from that position a while ago and since then everything just seems to keep pointing towards his exit sooner rather than later.

No doubt Mo would say "Looook, ah'm no the one who identifies the players tae bring in. Preki tells me who and I try tae get them, and if he disnae want anyone then I am no going tae just bring someone in for the hell o' it" or some other shit to make it all seem like someone else's fault.

Still, Preki knows what he's doing as head coach so we just have to hope/assume there's some kind of plan in place that we do not yet know about.

19 players at the start of pre-season. Holy shit.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So to recap:

- smallest roster in the league to a worrying degree at this point in time;

- Serioux, potentially our best defender, may have to retire through injury;

- of the two CBs we are trialling, one is a head case and the other is trying to stave off retirement through injury;

- De Ro is out for a month and Barrett has a broken foot (make that 17 players at camp then);

- the only players we have signed to date are two low order draft picks (who in fairness may come good, but not this season you would think) and a relative rookie that doesn't really seem to have a fixed position, which means that we still have gaping holes in the squad for the wide positions. And at CB if Serioux is gone. And up front unless either Gerba or White suddenly becomes a 20 goal a season player.

Woooo! Bring on the season!

Last edited by Hitcho; 02-03-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    the roster numbers Bignewf lists are incorrect. those come from the MLSNET site I think but MLSNET hasn't updated it to reflect the latest moves. For example, I took a quick look and noticed that FC Dallas has 3 guys (I think) listed in the MLSNET roster who are either gone or on the way out. As well, Chivas has Harmse still on its roster. Huckerby is still listed as with San Jose. And that's just a quick glance...

So the numbers are not accurate at this point. I don't know at this point if TFC indeed has the smallest roster in MLS.
    Point taken Rocker. I did indeed get these numbers from MLS.net.

However I think they are still valid in general terms to prove my point. Here we are with a new coach and a new team philosophy that he can't fully start to implement as he has nowhere near a full squad.

As this "thin roster" management style, for want of another term, has apparently become the norm at TFC under Mo I wonder if it is down to dollars? We can all point to various busts that costs us a lot of precious salary cap dollars (Laurent Robert & Pablo Vitti come to mind) that perhaps tie Mo's hands when it comes to filling out the roster.
    Last edited by bgnewf; 02-03-2010 at 06:59 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    I used to be a pretty staunch Mo supporter. I turned from that position a while ago and since then everything just seems to keep pointing towards his exit sooner rather than later.

No doubt Mo would say "Looook, ah'm no the one who identifies the players tae bring in. Preki tells me who and I try tae get them, and if he disnae want anyone then I am no going tae just bring someone in for the hell o' it" or some other shit to make it all seem like someone else's fault.

Still, Preki knows what he's doing as head coach so we just have to hope/assume there's some kind of plan in place that we do not yet know about.

19 players at the start of pre-season. Holy shit.
    You're like my brother from another mother Hitch...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Armenian striker came down to the Armenian community center yesterday. I got to talk to him, but he's not keen on releasing info. He told us that things were going okay though.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    it may have something to do with january transfer window cause a lot of players would not even negotiate with us until european teams are done
    dont be surprised if 2 or 3 players come from across the pond
    A distinct possibility. Lets wait until the dusk settles so to speak.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoachGT View Post
    I wonder if the status of the CBA plays any kind of role in this.
    Now that is an interesting question.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    You're like my brother from another mother Hitch...
    Haha - careful what you say about my mother Roogsy!

I should have added that we still have Garcia to my list of concerns above, but I'm trying to block it from my mind and pretend it's not happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man anyone feel like we have the same discussions over and over every offseason? This is a vicious cycle Mo has the team in. FFS an expansion team has a bigger roster then we do already.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Man anyone feel like we have the same discussions over and over every offseason? This is a vicious cycle Mo has the team in. FFS an expansion team has a bigger roster then we do already.
    Hermano...hablas la verdad! LA VERDAD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are really at 18 (Garcia doesn't count as a player to me)

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not worried... if we're not doin well at the midway point of this season then we all know Mo's so effin' fired! It'll be a breath of fresh air

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This topic needs more exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by icecoldbeer View Post
    We are really at 18 (Garcia doesn't count as a player to me)
    That took two pages...must be some kind of record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    So to recap:

- smallest roster in the league to a worrying degree at this point in time;

- Serioux, potentially our best defender, may have to retire through injury;

- of the two CBs we are trialling, one is a head case and the other is trying to stave off retirement through injury;

- De Ro is out for a month and Barrett has a broken foot (make that 17 players at camp then);

- the only players we have signed to date are two low order draft picks (who in fairness may come good, but not this season you would think) and a relative rookie that doesn't really seem to have a fixed position, which means that we still have gaping holes in the squad for the wide positions. And at CB if Serioux is gone. And up front unless either Gerba or White suddenly becomes a 20 goal a season player.

Woooo! Bring on the season!

Don't forget Peterson's out 2 months or so :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's interesting that these are referred to as signed players though. There are 6 teams on that list over the official roster limits, and another 2-3 that are at the cap, or right near it.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned that so far. Personally if we are aiming to pick up a couple more players, I'd rather not have to cut someone else just to get someone in (which it looks like half the league is going to have to do, according to that list).

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster_TFC View Post
    Don't forget Peterson's out 2 months or so :P
    Crap so that makes 16 signed players who are fit and able to take part in traiing camp. Or 15 if you discount Garcia s a player like the poster above mentioned!

At this rate theyy won't even be able to hold six a side games between the signed players soon!

I'm not that hopeful for this season. I think after this season we could very well see the back of Mo and players like Jimmy and Robbo (much as I love them) will have their salaries cleared off the cap. At that point, Preki would have some serious room to play with and a new GM to help him bring int he players he wants/needs. Plus the likes of OBW, Nana, Frei and Cronin will all have settled even more into the first team. I'm not writing off 2010, who knows what preki can do with this squad, but there are a lot of holes in the roster right now and some overpaid playeers on the cap that we don't seem to be able to get rid of. So how much can really change with that going on? Not to mention the CBA hold up on player trades.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There better be some new faces in the squad by Charleston. I don't want to see DeRo, Barrett, and Peterson reinjured.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    That took two pages...must be some kind of record.
    Surprised me too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster_TFC View Post
    It's interesting that these are referred to as signed players though. There are 6 teams on that list over the official roster limits, and another 2-3 that are at the cap, or right near it.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned that so far. Personally if we are aiming to pick up a couple more players, I'd rather not have to cut someone else just to get someone in (which it looks like half the league is going to have to do, according to that list).
    there has been talk of roster expansion in the new CBA
    so who knows.... everything will unfold on February 12th, and i guess Preki does know something and is using Garcia for concrete information. I assume whens the CBA is ironned out, Garcia will get the thanks, heres the door........atleast what we all hope!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am staying within myself and trying not to be too negative too soon..wooooozahhh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far 19 players under contract - $2,164,404 spent

*Includes on $400K for DeGuzman, and the 3 GA contracts not included (Frei, Herold, Ibby-assuming he is still GA).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoachGT View Post
    At least part of that is, IMO, because of salary cap issues. TFC has been better toward its players than some other teams, using fewer players so they can be paid more. Having 25 guys on a roster that can only dress 18 for a game, especially when we haven't had to worry about other games (outside of the league, such as Champions League) seems a bit of a waste. There isn't the kind of depth available at the dollars that need to be spent to get it.

And personally, I wonder if the status of the CBA plays any kind of role in this.
    A salary cap that Mo is supposed to manage, and has failed many times up to and including the present.

Keep in mind the number of internationals, key members of the team, who have missed dates due to WC qualifying (which should have been planned accordingly), as well as injuries (admittedly you can't plan when they happen, but should always be accounted for since they always happen).....

Don't think the CBA played too much of a part in all of this, in Mo's eyes anyways, since there are more than a couple of players on the team with long term, guaranteed contracts.....which also ties in to the salary cap issue....

all this means to me is that MoJo has done a piss poor job of managing the team.