View Poll Results: What do you think of Coach Cummins?

Voters
252. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm content thus far.

43 17.06%
  • Undecided, I need more time.

92 36.51%
  • I've seen enough. Look for a replacement.

117 46.43%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris Cummins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Chris Cummins

Twenty games at the helm.
    What say you?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like him for the most part. We are a better team under him. Despite the two CL performances we are a better more consistent team. However, he has made some poor decisions, and the CL loses, were largely a failure of his tactics. I continue to believe in him for now, but these two game, particulalry tonights, were he was unable to adjoust make me question if he is the man, at this time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is staying til the end of the year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like him but hes not cutting it at this point, ill give him til the end of the season
    id like himi around with Daso as asst coaches but we dont need someone like Mariner (whos sorta unproven but been under the helm of a proven coach)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever ... keep him and Mo till the end of season. We can fire Mo and Cummins once the playoffs start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not give Dasovic a chance at the helm... this after all seems to be a proving ground for 1st time managers...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about MO?
    MO goes, then Cummins

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

give him till the end of the season, lets see how Cummins gets the squad to respond in home stretch to the playoffs.

CCL is a nice dream, but we would of gotten slaughtered. MLS Cup playoffs is the task @ hand now, so lets see what happens.

DC is next on the list and the first team has a week to rest / prepare.
    c'mon you Reds!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Started off well, but our consistency has dropped off consderably as his tenure has wore on.

I'm prepared to give him until the end of this season, but if things don't improve, he's first on my list to be replaced.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just got a clone of John Carver that plays slightly more attractive football (AKA less longball).

Next

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

team could use a break too.

this was a 2 nill win on any other night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is where a manager makes his money, its all fine when ya winning matches in the honeymoon period but its about him being able to motivate his players and get the best out of them ater that period is done and results start going against the team.

I think CC should have more time but you have to ask yourself how CC is doing with the best squad on paper the club has had compared to what JC got out of the squad he had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^He's been winging it for months.

kind of like that 7 year old driving a car on youtube.

Yes he can drive, yes he can obviously stay on the road, but he doesn't have the experience or the responsibility or the decision making skills required to be a safe driver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be good to see this team with a coach who has a good reputation and had previous success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    It would be good to see this team with a coach who has a good reputation and had previous success.
    Like Steve Nicol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Like Steve Nicol.
    Yes, I said in the other post that would be great.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

steve nicol is good, but how many MLS Cups has he won?

Dom Kinnear.
    c'mon you Reds!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay P View Post
    steve nicol is good, but how many MLS Cups has he won?

Dom Kinnear.
    let's get Yallop if winning MLS Cup is the only criteria
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    let's get Yallop if winning MLS Cup is the only criteria
    and Nicol if losing the MLS cup final is the only criteria???

Kinnear's won MLS cups and dealt with fixture congestion, CCL, Super Liga,

what else do you need?
    c'mon you Reds!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what else do you need?
    1. Kinnear never had to deal with CCL when he last won the Cup

2. I'd be highly surprised if Kinnear is willing to come to Toronto. Not a very likely option

3. I'd love to see Kinnear for TFC, however, there are coaches who I think would be effective in MLS, and does not have a MLS Cup ring. I don't believe MLS Cup should be a primary reason why you higher a coach, but I want to see a coach who can consistently get a team to playoffs.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2. I'd be highly surprised if Kinnear is willing to come to Toronto. Not a very likely option

3. I'd love to see Kinnear for TFC, however, there are coaches who I think would be effective in MLS, and does not have a MLS Cup ring. I don't believe MLS Cup should be a primary reason why you higher a coach, but I want to see a coach who can consistently get a team to playoffs.

You had some pretty good ideas for players to trade for, have you got any suggestions for coach? I mean who might actually come to Toronto.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. 2006- US Open cup/ League
    2. 2007- CONCACAF champions cup, US Open Cup/Super Liga/ League.

Kinnear has proven he can manage an MLS roster to win the league despite fixture congestions and multiple tournaments.

He may not want to come here, but like Brian Burke and Brian Colangelo.. everyone has a price.
    c'mon you Reds!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Polls like this should not be made right after a painful loss. Give it a few days and repost if you want proper answers.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    You had some pretty good ideas for players to trade for, have you got any suggestions for coach? I mean who might actually come to Toronto.
    Honestly. I don't know exactly who's available, and I don't know how many coaches have MLS experience but these are some guys I'd take a serious look at.

1. Colin Clarke.
    Unlike John Limiatis, I believe that he consistently puts out a well organized team every game. Led PRI to semis last CCL season. Northern Ireland international with plenty of English football experience, he also has 3 seasons of managing FC Dallas, leading them to playoffs. He has also managed couple of other North American teams, so he understands American and MLS soccer.

2. Bob Bradley (when he gets fired from US job)
    Has plenty of NA and MLS coaching experience. Won MLS Cup with Chicago Fire in 1998. Also has US Open Cup successes. Has managed 3 MLS teams. US MNT job seems a little over his head, but he has enough credentials for an MLS team manager job.

3. Paul Mariner
    Currently Steve Nicol's assistant at New England. Former Ipswich Town striker during Bobby Robson days and has represented England at international level. Has played in North America, and has many years of assistant coaching in North America. Is overdue for a shot at head coaching job. You'd figure he picked up a lot of tricks being Steve Nicol's understudy for a long time.

4. Steve Morrow
    Former Arsenal defender who only had 2 years of coaching FC Dallas, but I think worth a shot. He was Colin Clarke's assistant and took over after Clarke got fired in 2006.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what else do you need?
    depends on whether you want to leave a winning team that you built, and go to a team that's rather unstable.

Kinnear is a winner. if I was him, I'd be very hesitant to leave a good gig he has in Houston

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. Look at the early results.
    This guy gets 1/2 a season pretty much and he is shown the door by people on this board. Yet Carver had 1+ years and people were edging on giving him more time and to stay. My how the knives come out quickly now. Interesting hmmmmmmm

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cummins does not impress me one bit.

The problem is that there really aren't much in the way of options for us.

I am depressed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all about the play-offs now. If Cummins can get us there then he deserves a proper contract. It's not easy to take over at any point into a season, and though we've been inconsistent in the results as of late I personally feel that he's done a fairly decent job. To me his future rests on us making the play-offs. Let's not get carried away and demand ALL the goods this season.

Did any of you see the post-game presser tonight? I love how he called out a journalist who asked if the atmosphere was maybe the reason why TFC lost. He said, and I am paraphrasing: "You're winding me up? We've got 22,000 people watching us at home every game, fantastic atmosphere, and our fans even showed up here tonight". Certainly Cummins knows how to deal with the media - and that's a positive (disregarding results that obviously are more important, but still a side-note to him as a coach and a person as well).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cummins' record (not counting our home win against Chivas on the 22nd of April that he seemed in charge of, but Carver was still technically boss at the time - even though he was away from the bench):

Home:
    6 wins - 2 draws - 3 losses

Away:
    2 wins - 3 draws - 4 losses

Total:
    8 wins - 5 draws - 7 losses

Included are the Canada Cup games as well as the Puerto Rico games. River Plate game was not included.

Below the pure MLS stats under Cummins:

Home:
    4 wins - 2 draws - 2 losses

Away:
    1 wins - 2 draws - 3 losses

Total:
    5 wins - 4 draws - 5 losses
    Last edited by Super; 08-04-2009 at 11:40 PM.