Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    one game. one goal and the guy still gets some stick

like, just what does a guy have to do to get some praise around here?
    Play for Celtic?

Oops, did I say that out loud?
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 07-26-2009 at 10:33 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bhoybobby View Post
    The only guy that would've missed that is Cunny & he's gone.

Kudo's he scored the goal.

Strong frame, yeah he's musclebound, I don't see the acceleration, I don't see an ability to turn & I haven't seen any theat in the air.

He's just another option for Cummins. I don't think he's anything special, not better than DD for sure.

Hope he does wel though, but I don't see it.
    have you actually watched a Gerba game before Columbus?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remind me how many points we got last night, before you go fuck yourself. If you think the big man's an upgrade good for you.
    You really don't have a fucking clue. Really? Was Ali Gerba more to blame for us not getting any points than anyone else? Remind me how many goals Vitti scored last night before you go fuck yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion Gerba did exactly what he is supposed to do for us. He gets the ball on his foot in a scoring position, and scores...

We've all seen, several times this year, our forwards get in on goal, 1-v-1 with the keeper and not finish - Gerba finished...

If he can do that - then he is a huge improvement...

I'm not disputing people's review of his play (1st touch, turn w/the ball etc), but if he can be the type of player that when he gets a chance he gets a goal - that's something we have been lacking for 3-seasons...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me personally I've never doubted Gerbas ability to score frequently for us. My biggest concern with Gerba was that he may think he was bigger than our team. However after having just gotten around to seeing this weekends Footy Show, I see there was an interview with Gerba where he described a major Toronto club as "a beautiful thing" and said that he felt MLS was at least on par with League One.
    He also spoke very respectfully about his former manager at MK Dons despite him having been unceremoniously cut from the team.
    What this all tells me is that Gerba is likely to be co-operative in working with Winspear and can only get better from here on out.
    THAT prospect is indeed very exciting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's made me appreciate Dichio even more.

He's similar to Dichio, a pure center forward, possibly even more of a physical player, but I doubt he has the touch or vision of DD.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cereal View Post
    You really don't have a fucking clue. Really? Was Ali Gerba more to blame for us not getting any points than anyone else? Remind me how many goals Vitti scored last night before you go fuck yourself.
    Steady Jessica, don't get yourself in a lather before your parents send you to bed

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    You can take this to the bank. Forget all the he is slow, he is fat. HE PUTS THE BALL IN THE NET, and we will do it for us. I will not argue about this. If I am wrong you can lambast me at the end of the year. But I assure you I will not be.
    I'm with you on this one... definately a finisher... He's big slow and fat but he's a dominating presence... I see him causing problems for defenders and him and barret could make a really good combination... He reminds me alot of Dichio...He will be our Inzaghi... Inzaghi is a fox in the box but Gerba will be a bull in the box and he will find the back of the net...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    have you actually watched a Gerba game before Columbus?

Yeah, he's o.k against weak opposition, should do well against the Islanders on Wed.

I just don't think he'll do it against the best in mls. Just a squad player.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Play for Celtic?

Oops, did I say that out loud?
    lmao, c'mon, give me some credit, I don't wear green blinkers. Some folk are getting upset 'cause I don't recognize big Ali as the 2nd coming.

He is what he is, a journeyman lumbering forward, who will take advantage of wek teams when the balls played to his feet. A good squad player.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Kingpin View Post
    I just thought I would beat everyone to it!! The player has come from a meager footballing background and has played for some very poor teams. He has scored in his first game, which is fantastic, but there will be games where he does not score. This is when we should call for his head!!

So in lieu of the impending failure of Gerba - I say trade him NOW!!
    Why was this post merged with a "Gerba is our future" thread? I'm suggesting we trade Gerba. Is it because I'm not allowed to have my own threads. There are two threads on Wynne... One saying keep him - one saying trade him. Is it because Flush started the second... Are their two sets of rules?

Of course there are!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I doubt he has the touch
    I think his touch is as good as than Dichio's from what I've seen in his games with Canada and TFC. He is solid at laying off passes for teammates (see him and DeRo in CBus) and when faced with a scoring chance, he's got a quick, accurate, hard shot.

As well, my guess is his scoring rate with TFC will be better than Dichio's (14 in 58 games).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, he's o.k against weak opposition, should do well against the Islanders on Wed.
    Again, he scored twice in WCQ against Mexico. Hardly weak competition.

A squad player for what team? We aren't Manchester United.

Why are you being intentionally daft?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gerba will score a lot of goals for TFC, and there will be tons of people who complain about him unfortunately. Gerba is a finisher, a poacher, a player who might not make his own chances (like Barrett) but will finish the chances he gets. In short, he's a player we desperately needed (with our lack of finishing ability). He's a player that might disapear for 45 minutes, and you might be cursing his name, but then, he cleans up garbage in front of the net and gets a goal. Sure, he's not going to be a DP level striker, but he will be an integral part of TFC, and could help our other players seem better.

As for Dichio, he doesn't see to have the same soccer IQ as Dichio, but he has a shot that puts Dichio's to shame.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post

Because it easier for him, than admitting he's wrong.

Gerba has a 1 in 2 scoring rate for our national team, including goals against some of the stiffer opposition in CONCACAF, not just scrubs. This idea that he will only score against "weaker teams" in MLS, isn't based in objective reality.

He's like Danny Dichio, except with a far better shot. How that makes him a "squad player", especially on a team like ours, in a league like ours, is indeed "daft". Gerba is the perfect complement to a skilled forward, because he's strong, and can clean up the trash.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went second onto my ignore list after Giambac. No humility, very aggressive, makes up his mind then defends it to the teeth. Brutally wrong on this one but will keep going about it for months rather than step back from overconfidence in his own intellect.

We're all fucking wrong sometimes. Me, like 30 times a day. Life's easier when we all just admit it and move on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defending champions and top of the EAST right now. But Columbus is somehow weak opposition? never mind that they set a record for undefeated home games.

I know you won't answer me, cause there is nothing you can say except admit you are wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Went second onto my ignore list after Giambac. No humility, very aggressive, makes up his mind then defends it to the teeth. Brutally wrong on this one but will keep going about it for months rather than step back from overconfidence in his own intellect.
    Heh, I imagine that if Gerba scored a hat-trick to win the World Club Cup against Barcelona, he'd still be talking about Gerba as a squad player.

We're all fucking wrong sometimes. Me, like 30 times a day. Life's easier when we all just admit it and move on.
    Wise words. I wish I followed them more often.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clearly you are not acquainted with the internet.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Defending champions and top of the EAST right now. But Columbus is somehow weak opposition? never mind that they set a record for undefeated home games.

I know you won't answer me, cause there is nothing you can say except admit you are wrong.
    ? Last time I checked, it was o.k not to agree with the masses. I went through this with Welsh, Robert & Ricketts. That was a shorthanded Columbus team.

I never said that big Ali was crap, just one dimensional. I gave my opinions & the reasons why.

If it turns out he's worthy of a starting role & proves to be a great acquisition, great. We'll be a better team for it & I'll then admit I was wrong about Ali, just like I said, if we make the play-offs I'd congradulate Mo.

I just don't see it, he's a very ordinary one dimensional forward, that's my opinion, it doesn't make me the anti-Christ.

According to some fuckwits, you can't have a strong contrary opinion.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bully for you being wrong so often.

For the record, I have no problem admiting I'm wrong, doesn't happen often on TFC stuff, 'cause I'm usually bang on. Yea I'm aggressive with my views, like i say, I'm usually right.

When have I been wrong that you can make the statements above?

Not my fault your wrong so often

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=Rudi;641307]Heh, I imagine that if Gerba scored a hat-trick to win the World Club Cup against Barcelona, he'd still be talking about Gerba as a squad player.

What pish your talking here.

If the big man turns out to be a goal scoring great for T.O. I'd gladly admit I was wrong in a heartbeat.

We'd probably be in the play-offs & that would make my day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the record, I have no problem admiting I'm wrong, doesn't happen often on TFC stuff, 'cause I'm usually bang on. Yea I'm aggressive with my views, like i say, I'm usually right.
    Good God, can you be any more full of yourself?

Perhaps you should apply for Mo's job at TFC, since you know everything. I'm sure you'll be happy taking Judas' job away from him.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard Bhoybobby was offered a chance to say the stuff he says on here to MOJO's face and he bitched out!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good God, can you be any more full of yourself?

Perhaps you should apply for Mo's job at TFC, since you know everything. I'm sure you'll be happy taking Judas' job away from him.
    ? Judas ? Don't foist your pre-conceived notions on me. I'm not part of the Judas brigade.

I'm wrong on somethings, sometimes, just not very often. When that rarity happens, I admit it.

If you can't deal with that, or my views. Too bad.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    I heard Bhoybobby was offered a chance to say the stuff he says on here to MOJO's face and he bitched out!
    Actually, little man, that was what I thought was a private communication between Jack & I.

There was no bitching out, so, get your fact straight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everybody get to da choppa!

His ego is imploding in on itself like a neutron star.

- Scott

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Everybody get to da choppa!

His ego is imploding in on itself like a neutron star.

- Scott
    We don't all have to fall in line with your, on anybody elses evaluation of players. It's not about running like lemmings.

If & when Gerba proves to be an upgrade on what we've got, he'll get all the credit he deserves. If we make the play-offs, Mo will also get credit.

As for all the whisperers, lemmings & cliques that don't seem to know the difference between a private message & public message. Carry on with your little 1/2 truth club. Everyone agree & hold the same opinion & make nice. I hope we have a successful season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't all have to fall in line with your, on anybody elses evaluation of players. It's not about running like lemmings.

If & when Gerba proves to be an upgrade on what we've got, he'll get all the credit he deserves. If we make the play-offs, Mo will also get credit.

As for all the whisperers, lemmings & cliques that don't seem to know the difference between a private message & public message. Carry on with your little 1/2 truth club. Everyone agree & hold the same opinion & make nice. I hope we have a successful season.
    You continue to intentionally conflate this idea that we want everyone to fall in line with a single Borg-like opinion, with the fact that most people here just seem to think you're an arrogant ass.

Oh well. Are you actually leaving this time? If so, the 1/2 Truth Club bids you adieu.

- Scott