Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Look I'm with you on that, I know the league is really messed up with some of the rules and insconsistencies. But he signed a contract knowing that. It's a terrible thing to say 6 games into a season that he left because he didn't agree with the rules. If that was the case, he should have left 6 games ago.

It's like a project manager signing to run a project for 1 year that the company has made a significant investment in. Next thing you know, the PM bumps heads with the same executives he worked on previous projects with so he decides to quit. What do you think would happen to that person in the business world? He'd burn his bridges and would be lucky to work again with anything related to those same execs. He'd also lose his reference and would have to explain why he left a commitment after a few months. This stuff doesn't fly in the business world, it shouldn't fly in professional sports either.

If I was an owner of a team in the EPL, I'd be really worried about hiring someone who's been known to quit in the middle of a season when he didn't get his way.
    This is why I think he left for health reasons. He let the MLS and the pressure of being the head guy get to him. Needed to step down before he completely cracked.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    This is why I think he left for health reasons. He let the MLS and the pressure of being the head guy get to him. Needed to step down before he completely cracked.
    Some of you guys have never worked in a high-pressure situation. I have and know people who have. At a certain point, you just have to get out of the situation.

I think that stress also explains some of Carver's bizarre behaviour, weird substitutions, etc.

In balance, he may be a good coach, I think he'd do better as a coach's assistant, without all of the stress of being a coach involves.

As Mo indicated, JC will need some "recovery" time, and I hope that MLSE will pay to give him the R&R that he needs or that they have a decent disability coverage. After that, being an assistant for someone like Shearer would be great for a life-long Geordie.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

I_AM_CANADIAN

Quote Originally Posted by TFCAlbertaGirl View Post
    Carver in a Major upset

Apr 26 2009 by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun
    FORMER Newcastle coach John Carver is returning to Tyneside after quitting as boss of Major League Soccer side Toronto FC.
    However, the one-time United No 2 last night played down suggestions he is set to join Alan Shearer’s coaching staff back at St James’s Park.
    Carver’s decision to quit was prompted by his frustration with MLS’s top brass rather than dissatisfaction with Toronto or any prospect of a job at Newcastle.

Carver told the Sunday Sun: “There is nothing else in the pipeline, and the people at Toronto have been fantastic to me.
    “It is the MLS with whom I have issues.”

More here:

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/new...9310-23473525/
    I'm pretty sure he didn't tell the Sun this, I read the quite about him having issues with the MLS earlier.

I don't understand how some can say this cements his status as a quitter. At the end of the day he's his own person, and MLS are far too restrictive of their managers and micromanage them to bits. JC never seemed like the type who would put up with that. I don't blame him.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has there been mention he'd ever want to come back? I don't see it happening.

Where in his contract does it state that he'll see the some of the worst officiating of his life when Carver took this job? I'm disappointed but I can't blame him. Everyone has a breaking point and it may be that he decided he wasn't doing the team any good with his outlook on our game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure ensco,

But have you considered that he may have left, because he knew he wasn't the right man for the job? You can't disagree that leaving may have been the best thing he could do for the team. So essentially by quitting, he is fulfilling his obligation to the team in some kind of roundabout way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Last year, after a DVD of Carver's sideline antics was distributed to the refs, Carver stated that if MLS didn't like him being here, he would leave.

So he did.

I would too if I'd made that assertation and felt that the time had come to act upon my word. I can't blame him or fault him for it. It was a professional decision and purely his, and he should be allowed his dignity IMO.

I liked the guy, but he was too into being the underdog, the mid-table team that wins out by hard work and beat down play designed to stifle creativity. His gameplan was frustrating, graham taylorish, boring football with no real ambition. He liked to sit on narrow leads and never went for the throat, when we were clearly at an advantage.

Accept this guys, all he wanted from this season was 4 more points than we got last year. He said so himself. He had no offensive mentality, no champion mentality. No talk of being the best or challenging for the cup, 8th place was good enough for him. We're better off hitting the reset button and hoping for the best, we really are.

I'll pray for Steve Nicol. I know for a fact this guy has a champions mentality. I saw him play.
    This is a great analysis.

No talk of challenging for the cup, an underdog, hard-working, mid-table team. This makes perfect sense coming from a league where only a small number of teams have any realistic shot at the title, but this MLS where every team should start the season thinking they can be the best.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Well if that doesn't make it any more obvious that the little bitch dumped his team then I don't know what will. Carver is now a quitter in my books. I'm sorry TFC ever hired him.

get a life....JC was the best thing to hit Toronto sports in a few decades.
    He said what he believed...thats call HONESTY!! He had the right to manage the team from the press box if he felt like it...MLS has f**ked this
    up big time.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    He said what he believed...thats call HONESTY!! He had the right to manage the team from the press box if he felt like it...MLS has f**ked this
    up big time.
    How many decades can you even remember?

You need to refrain from the personal insults.
    It makes you look like an even bigger jackass than your opinions do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Let's all remember what Carver's resume was before he got here.

He'd been a caretaker manager for Leeds in the Chamionship for 5 games. Then he became assistant manager for League One Luton. Then he came to TFC. That's it.

This idea that John Carver is too good for MLS is the biggest load I've heard in a long time. It's also insulting to a number of very good existing MLS coaches.
    Holy crap eugene, talk about ignoring history to make a point more stridently.

He was a field coach at Newcastle for years before those caretaker chances. I'll agree with you that his two opportunities before here certainly didn't suggest he was ready or anything, but his resume at Newcastle as a field coach alone probably prepares him better than Sigi Schmid and Schellas Hyndman were, given that they both came from NCAA (and I think Arena, too.)

Additionally, he was a professional player himself for a decade before that with Cardiff and Newcastle.

So boiling it down to "he has no pedigree" is simply unfair. He had no bench boss pedigree; but everyone has to get their first full-time gig somewhere, and most MLS coaches could only have dreamed as having as much experience heading into it as he did.

In fact, I'd say his success as a field coach for Bobby Robson -- and his reputation as a developer of youth playing technique -- is probably a bit part of why he wants to go: lots of people are promoted to management (myself included) only to find it isn't where they want to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure ensco,

But have you considered that he may have left, because he knew he wasn't the right man for the job? You can't disagree that leaving may have been the best thing he could do for the team. So essentially by quitting, he is fulfilling his obligation to the team in some kind of roundabout way.
    Solid.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure ensco,

We've all been there. You get signed up for a consulting gig, freelance job, contract, whatever, and the only thing you're employer wants to know is that you're committed for the duration of the contract. Then you discover part way through it that you're just not the man for the job.

Carver couldn't win. Stay, and he'd get carried out on his shield, but TFC fails with him. Or leave, before damage is done, but then you're a quitter. You're saying the latter may be what happened, and if it was, it was an honourable outcome. So I do see your point.

All of the above assumes that Carver quit and wasn't pushed. I am unconvinced, based on the dramatic lineup/formation changes, but in the end, it doesn't matter, unless there are as yet unknown elements that reflect poorly on Mo. I'm not saying that there are.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-27-2009 at 04:58 PM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Holy crap eugene, talk about ignoring history to make a point more stridently.

He was a field coach at Newcastle for years before those caretaker chances. I'll agree with you that his two opportunities before here certainly didn't suggest he was ready or anything, but his resume at Newcastle as a field coach alone probably prepares him better than Sigi Schmid and Schellas Hyndman were, given that they both came from NCAA (and I think Arena, too.)

Additionally, he was a professional player himself for a decade before that with Cardiff and Newcastle.

So boiling it down to "he has no pedigree" is simply unfair. He had no bench boss pedigree; but everyone has to get their first full-time gig somewhere, and most MLS coaches could only have dreamed as having as much experience heading into it as he did.

In fact, I'd say his success as a field coach for Bobby Robson -- and his reputation as a developer of youth playing technique -- is probably a bit part of why he wants to go: lots of people are promoted to management (myself included) only to find it isn't where they want to be.
    Hold on there jloome. I'm not saying he had no pedigree. I'm saying it was undistinguished - there are 100s of coaches in England with similar backgrounds - and in no way entitled him to say that if the league doesn't do something about the referees, then he's going back to England. MLS isn't that different from League One and the Championship, whence Carver came. Maybe Beckham has the stature to be doing stuff like that, but Carver didn't/doesn't.

As for the Bobby Robson/Newcastle patina, I'm really not sure this exists in the job market for John Carver, or else he would have had a better offer before coming here. I guess we'll find out now.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pekduck View Post
    ^
    i'd die of heart attack or high blood pressure putting up with the MLS shit he has to live through

irregular heart beats, severe migraine and insomnia did happen to me few times in the past in my career... only when i was close to hospitalized, then i switched gears and work...

of course, not sure if that's what's happening here with carver or not, but just saying that there is indeed another unproven theory
    Let's just hope that these were not issues for JC .... but who knows, perhaps they were.

The way I look it is, he did what he had to do. I don't care who you are, when push comes to shove, you have to put yourself (and your family) first and IF anything like this was happening in JC's life, he really didn't have a choice.

Many people leave positions / occupations for varying reasons.

This really is just another example of that.

I'm sure many here have left jobs for similar reasons at one time or another in their lives.

B
    Last edited by Blizzard; 04-27-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    up big time.
    Yeap, he's much better then Cito. Had much better credentials and a much better winning record. What was I thinking?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even Carver's agent wouldn't go about calling him the best thing to happen to Toronto sports in a few decades. That is just a ridiculous statement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't agree with Carver quitting but he was so frustrated with the league he did say his staying might actually hurt the team more.

Based on 3 years of watching MLS refs and linesmen from the front row I can see his logic.

Also if Don Garber is really serious about the league at least align the league schedule with breaks for internationals.
    If not to benefit for teams with international players use the example of Beckham's flight schedule and injury due to the stupidity of the league and coach last year.
    The marquee player in the league off due to a screwed up schedule the rest of the football world does not subscribe to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure ensco,

Thank you for saying it, because this is what I believe, has happened. Then again I lost all faith in Carver after the Seattle opener, so I guess my opinion may be bias.