Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they can grow grass in Green Bay at Lambeau Field, they can grow it anywhere. Come December, it's grass, but at the same time has a nice hue of brown to it.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason the grass is always green at Emirates and Anfireld is that they use portable sunguns that can be rolled around the pitch, even at night to ensure that the pitch gets the right amount of light.

So it's more an issue of how much you want to spend not just - we want grass.
    Another summer of hope!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO puts lights on the field too .. Then rents it out to Tom Dick and Harry beaver

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Miko View Post
    Anselmi said on The Fan last week that it was starting to wear out. Apparently, it was used, on average 20 hrs a day
    20 HOURS!!!!!!!!!! Is BMO even open that many hours, on average???

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy Unikronik View Post
    Maybe if they split it into 2 fields for rental purposes at times?
    Another summer of hope!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that turf is shiet still.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it was sad to see the condition of the pitch in the last two games.

It looked like a cheap carpet in the home of drug addict.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that's what they're working with, that's some bad math.

It reminds me of that question: If you're scared half to death twice, would you still be alive? Damn straight you would! First time, you're half dead... Second go around, only a quarter... aka half of a half!

Sounds like some double dipping there to me. And yes, I am haunted at work right now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20 might be high. I'm not sure what time they started renting in the morning, but you could rent up til midnight 7 days a week.

I don't think I saw a field not in use anytime I've rented over the winter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't be that, since whenever I played on it, it was split into three fields (which would mean only about 7 hours a day or real usage). Combine that with the fact I was playing at midnight, and you know they're getting much more than 10 (or even 12) hours out of it.

So, if I played there at midnight, what hours would they need to be open to get 20 hours a day in use? 4:00 am to 12:00am? Maybe 4:30 to 12:30? I would assume people would definitely be in there by 6 in the morning for early practice, but it's not that much of a stretch to move that to 4:30.

And, frankly, that's the problem. When I was on it in the winter, I destroyed my knees when I fell. It might have been top of the line at the time it was installed, but that was 3 years ago. At 365 days a year and 20 hours a day, there are 7300 hours played on that field per year. In 3 years, that's 21900 hours. Though I couldn't find stats on the fieldturf site about how many hours it's rated to, that is still a ridiculously large number for a pro stadium. There is no way to mix community use and professional quality fields.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that's what they're working with, that's some bad math.

It reminds me of that question: If you're scared half to death twice, would you still be alive? Damn straight you would! First time, you're half dead... Second go around, only a quarter... aka half of a half!

Sounds like some double dipping there to me. And yes, I am haunted at work right now
    kinda like the stadium paradox (aka dichotomy paradox) ... lol ...no pun intended.

Maybe Anselmi's trying to trip us out.
    Last edited by LucaGol; 04-15-2009 at 11:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason the grass is always green at Emirates and Anfireld is that they use portable sunguns that can be rolled around the pitch, even at night to ensure that the pitch gets the right amount of light.

I don't think a lack of sunlight is quite as limiting a factor here as it is in England. England is quite a bit north of here, and the EPL season runs through the winter. We get a lot more sunlight in March or October than England gets in December or January.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The people who use BMO for rec soccer are most likely TFC fans anyways.

Im willing to bet any amount that if you polled the users of the field, that they would be in favour of putting a grass field at BMO and taking their business to a refurbished Lamport.

I mean, this whole community use business is just political ... and it's getting kind of silly. Taxpayer dollars pay for lots of things that taxpayers don't necessarily want or get to use on a regular basis. Just refurbish Lamport already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LucaGol View Post
    Taxpayer dollars pay for lots of things that taxpayers don't necessarily want or get to use on a regular basis.
    Like opera houses and other elitist endeavours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think we have an issue with sunlight. The problem is that our winters are much colder, and we have more snow to contend with. To have a quality natural pitch we would need a system that would allow for the turf to be mowed.

I don't think MLSE would spend a crazy amount of money trying to maintain a natural pitch. A cheap option is to use tarps to cover the turf and which would have to be kept cleared of snow as winter comes to a close like that they can pull it off and do any maintenance that needs to be done and then covered again. This would be enough to get the grass growing for the start of the season.

The key is that whatever method they use, if the grass is growing, it must be cut. If they can protect it throught the winter and try to kick start it in late winter is the best bet and a tarp system might do the trick.

Another option....not sure it would work, is to replace the current dome with one that has a transparent roof letting in sunlight, sort of like a huge greenhouse. They would be able to keep that grass growning, do all the maintenance and keep it mowed.

That is as far as i see them going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ins't the field at Emirates a combination of real grass interwoven with turf? I believe it has two or three times the durability of a 100% real pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What type of turf did they install exactly. Because some recreational sports parks use turf in the states, and it pretty much gets used 24/7 as it's used for baseball,football,soccer leagues, sports camps etc.. Yet it never looks as bad as BMO.