Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I used to hate the players who dived/embellished/etc, but I've come to a realization. It isn't the players who are the problem, it's the system. As long as they play in a sport where that behavior is beneficial, why not do it? As long as there is little chance of punishment, but a large chance of reward, "acting" is going to be good business.

Personally, I think punishments need to be more harsh. Use video replay after the match to punish outright simulation with a yellow, or even a red, card. Force that player to sit the next game. It wouldn't interfere with the flow of the game, and sure, you might still get a call during the game, but it might no longer be worth it if you're risking being benched (And if the risk is very high). For embellishment it's much harder. How can you tell? Well, I think we just need to strengthen what we have. The going down under contact is usually fine (draw the foul) but the time wasting on the ground after light contact is silly, and only turns people off the sport. So, have the ref use their judgement by sending the player to the sideline more often, and don't let them back on! Not forever, but if the ref thinks an injury is being embellished, keep the player off for a few minutes. Worst case scenario, the player wasn't faking and gets treatment on the sidelines (since he obviously couldn't get up). This would encourage players to get up quicker, especially in the last minutes of the game, since they don't want to risk defending a man down while up a goal.

Anyway, the point is, Guevara is a great player, and played with real heart on sat. He comes from a country that encourages that behavior more, so I don't think it's fair for us to crucify him for it. He is a passionate player, and if the fans start to dislike him for something he feels should be celebrated, he might slip into a slump.
i tottally agree most of what you saying. I said i wish they did something like check replays after a game and if it is obvious a player dived or wasted time then give him a card. I think that would be a great idea. Also the thing about if a player embellishes that he is so hurt then yes make him go for treatment on the sidelines.

Very good ideas i wish they would consider in soccer!