Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    I was looking for a link but the story is the "out clause" in his contract doesn't kick in until after the completion of his THIRD season.

Personally, I don't get it, Beckham could play in this league until he's 40...why he'd want one last kick of the "European" can I don't understand?
    Because, if Beckham is to be even considered to be on the England National squad, he has to be game fit and playing in a Competitive League, and the MLS is not a competitve league on the world stage, I don't blame Beckham one bit, Remember Country before Club!!! There is a World Cup next year, and if Beckham can help them (Three Lions) qualify, then go for it.

That is the only reason he wants to stay in Milan, Serie A is a competitive league, if you play and train in a lesser league, you become the same quality as that league. It is a fact of sport and athletics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I truly dont think this is the end of it. I do think Garber's an idiot. He should know better than to try to push around "Mighty AC Milan". I think his intentions were clear here: He wanted to force Milan into making an unreasonably large offer. Milan doesn't play that way.

There's a saying, "Sometimes no deal is the worst deal". And I truly do think that Garber could have got his money, and milan could have got becks, had Garber put in the time and effort to negotiate. Now either he's going to give in, and sell Becks past his deadline (thus making MLS look like an even bigger joke by going back on his word), or he's just going to get ripped off in November when Beckham uses his escape clause.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    By the way, i'm pretty sure that AEG is much wealthier than AC Milan.
    Milan is Berlusconi

Berlusconi is Italy's third richest person, with personal assets worth US $9.4 billion in 2008.

AEG ?
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Yes I do. Who are we kidding? do 8 year old boys read the news and understand the reason why Beckham is coming back to the MLS? do women give a shit? the answer to that is NO. Only hard core supporters like us give a shit about stuff like this, the rest of them will buy the merchandise and will still go see him play.

Also, I believe he'll sell MORE merch this year for the simple fact he is leaving.
    I'd be wary of saturation. He has been to every city now, people always want the newest and latest, Beckham may be old news by this season. Plus as mentioned earlier, he might have a "mysterious" long-term injury.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't believe it until I see him on the pitch. I hope that he does come back and gives MLS a bit more exposure and attracts more media frenzy for our sport here in North America but the fact that he is cry babying about wanting to stay in Italy I don't believe it until he is truly back on their opening day. Good on MLS for sticking to their guns.

I figured that something like this would take place because he was playing in LA and how crappy they have been doing since he was announced to play here in NA.

If and when he does come back I will be front and center singing "You can stick your David Beckham up your ass!!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf88 View Post
    I'd be wary of saturation. He has been to every city now, people always want the newest and latest, Beckham may be old news by this season. Plus as mentioned earlier, he might have a "mysterious" long-term injury.
    Which will not be good for Beckham's chances at the England National Team, will it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I do. Who are we kidding? do 8 year old boys read the news and understand the reason why Beckham is coming back to the MLS? do women give a shit? the answer to that is NO. Only hard core supporters like us give a shit about stuff like this, the rest of them will buy the merchandise and will still go see him play.

Also, I believe he'll sell MORE merch this year for the simple fact he is leaving.

The only reason I agree with you here is because the media coverage won't be there to talk about it and cause a shit storm.

Unlike A Rod's steroid scandal... I'm sure that 8yr olds and women will read the papers and give a shit.

This will prove how much of a professional Beckham is... if he dogs it or plays like a pro regardless of his AC Milan wetdreams.
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Milan is going to pay the $$$, they just didn't want to play bitch to Garber's "deadline" It's a pissing match that Garber can't win.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Milan is Berlusconi

Berlusconi is Italy's third richest person, with personal assets worth US $9.4 billion in 2008.

AEG ?
    Not far:

Philip Frederick Anschutz (born 28 December 1939 in Russell, Kansas) is an American businessman and supporter of conservative Christian causes. With an estimated current[update] net worth of around $7.8 billion, he is ranked by Forbes as the 31st richest person in the USA.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Anschutz

They're in the same league.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Milan is Berlusconi

AEG ?
    From Wikipedia:

AEG is the world’s largest owner of sports teams and sports events, the owner of the world’s most profitable sports and entertainment venues, and under AEG Live is the world’s second largest presenter of live music and entertainment events after Live Nation.
    Sounds like Berlusconi can't hold a candle to AEG's holdings, let alone whatever Phil Anschutz's personal wealth is - and I know he is worth several billion at the least.

EDIT: Just checked Forbes. Anschutz's personal wealth is estimated at $8 billion dollars.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trifey View Post
    Milan is going to pay the $$$, they just didn't want to play bitch to Garber's "deadline" It's a pissing match that Garber can't win.
    Why do people keep saying this? And saying how this makes us look mickey mouse?

Beckham has a contract with MLS. It is entirely up to MLS whether to sell him or not. Boo hoo, he's under contract and wants to go somewhere else. Suck it up.

And what makes you think Garber hasn't won? As has been said, AEG (and MLS) stands to make a lot of money with Beckham here for another year. Obviously the first offer was low enough that AEG stood to make more money by keeping him. That's simple business. Garber stepped in because he didn't want the "Beckham could be leaving!" Story to run into the start of the MLS season. By cutting it off now, he's taken the wind out of the story and so ensured the entire season wouldn't be overshadowed by this story, and MLS would get one more good payday off of him. Frankly, it's shrewd business.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't expect Beckham to sulk all year, provided he ends up back in LA (yes, I still think it's possible he's gone). He has always been a consummate professional, and only stated his desire to stay in Milan - he didn't try to pull any diva power-plays to get what he wanted.

The guy wants to play in the World Cup, and was told that high-level football was his only path to get there. I don't begrudge him wanting to go to Milan, to try and achieve this goal.

At the same time, he signed a contract, and should be expected to honour it. I really hate how, in football specifically, contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on. Players have far too much power.

It will be interesting to see if Garber allows a deal to go through anyway, now that the deadline has passed. But it really sounds like LA is expecting him to be back at t his point.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Milan is Berlusconi

AEG ?
    Link please......

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post

This will prove how much of a professional Beckham is... if he dogs it or plays like a pro regardless of his AC Milan wetdreams.
    From what I've read and seen, I'm not sure there isn't a more professional footballer on the planet. Personally, I'm not a huge Beckham fan but he constantly amazes me with his dedication to the game.

Everytime he's written off he resurfaces...in a big way. When he went to Milan I thought, "You've got to be kidding?" He's been magnificant...

If you don't like him...fair enough...but give credit where credits due...

Flush, I think he'll do the latter...I honestly don't think he knows how to dog it.
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd feel sorry for LA ... except that they are LA and decided to go the media whore route for the league. Forget the Becky hoopla, they have to put a team together for the upcoming season with 1/8 of the salary cap tied up in a player who may or may not show up. They really need to rebuild and can't do squat till this gets sorted.
    We have tons of extra allocation (Mo's favoured trade) and still have to watch our pennies... imagine doing it with 1/4 (if you include Landycakes) of your cap space as a big question mark.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    Link please......
    Berlusconi's main company Mediaset comprises three national television channels, which hold approximately half the national viewing audience, and Publitalia, the leading Italian advertising and publicity agency. He also owns Arnoldo Mondadori Editore, the largest Italian publishing house, whose publications include Panorama, one of the most popular news magazine in Italy. He has interests in cinema and home video distribution firms (Medusa and Penta), insurance and banking (Mediolanum) and a variety of other activities. His brother, Paolo Berlusconi, owns and operates Il Giornale, a centre-right newspaper which provides a strong pro-Berlusconi slant on Italy and its politics.
    Berlusconi also owns the nationally and internationally successful football club AC Milan which has made an important contribution to his continuing political success.
    "Forza Italia" (meaning "Go Italy!", "Forward, Italy!" or simply "Italy Forward") was best known, before the political party of the same name was founded, as the slogan of the Italian national football team.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvio_Berlusconi
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    The only reason I agree with you here is because the media coverage won't be there to talk about it and cause a shit storm.

Unlike A Rod's steroid scandal... I'm sure that 8yr olds and women will read the papers and give a shit.

Right. The difference with A-Rod and Beckham though is that A-Rod is hated by 95% of the people who watch the sport, including Yankee fans. Beckham on the other hand is loved by 95% of the people who watch the sport. So I do believe when fans hear it's Beckham's last year in MLS, people will put that to the forefront as opposed to trying to bury him simply because he wants to play in Milan.

Having said that, I reaaally can't see Beckham dogging it while he's here. He's developed this persona of a very hard working man who loves the sport. I'm sure that's an image he wants to keep.

Some people are suggesting he'll develop a mysterious injury? must be the same people that thought Y2K was going to end the world. I mean, the guy's goal is to help England qualify for 2010, you think he's going to do that by pretending to be injured? This guy will work his butt off and prove to Capello that even though he's playing in the MLS, he's still fit enough to play at the highest level. He proved it last year, so not sure why he can't do it for another year.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forbes ranks them 7 and 8. Paul Allen, the Seattle owner, has almost as much money as the two combined.

The 10 Richest Billionaire Soccer Club Owners

http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/04/soc...hisSpeed=15000
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right. The difference with A-Rod and Beckham though is that A-Rod is hated by 95% of the people who watch the sport, including Yankee fans. Beckham on the other hand is loved by 95% of the people who watch the sport. So I do believe when fans hear it's Beckham's last year in MLS, people will put that to the forefront as opposed to trying to bury him simply because he wants to play in Milan.

Having said that, I reaaally can't see Beckham dogging it while he's here. He's developed this persona of a very hard working man who loves the sport. I'm sure that's an image he wants to keep.

Some people are suggesting he'll develop a mysterious injury? must be the same people that thought Y2K was going to end the world. I mean, the guy's goal is to help England qualify for 2010, you think he's going to do that by pretending to be injured? This guy will work his butt off and prove to Capello that even though he's playing in the MLS, he's still fit enough to play at the highest level. He proved it last year, so not sure why he can't do it for another year.
    The other thing is - Beckham can actually go back to play in Europe again before the Word Cup, when he inevitably opts out of his contract after this season.

Furthermore, I think he proved in his stint at Milan, that playing in MLS doesn't make you forget how to play at a high level. Beckham came in to Milan, and made a positive impact immediately.

I don't know that going back to LA is really a death knell for his 2010 chances any more.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    The other thing is - Beckham can actually go back to play in Europe again before the Word Cup, when he inevitably opts out of his contract after this season.

Furthermore, I think he proved in his stint at Milan, that playing in MLS doesn't make you forget how to play at a high level. Beckham came in to Milan, and made a positive impact immediately.

I don't know that going back to LA is really a death knell for his 2010 chances any more.

- Scott
    Exactly. And I don't think I ever heard Capello say that you don't play on his team unless you play at the highest level. In fact, the only thing I remember him saying was "if you want to play for my team, you need to be currently playing", hence the reason why Beckham ended up in Milan during the MLS offseason.

I think people forget sometimes that Beckham actually revived his career in the MLS. He started to fall off the map in England when he started getting benched in Spain. When he came to L.A and started playing regularly, he actually got called up again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trifey View Post
    I agree.
    Garber's BS deadline passed, so he issued a press release saying Soccer spice is coming back to the Gals cuz "he says so."
    I'm sure AC Milan was just thinking they'd let it pass...
    i'm sure they are still working out the details.

If Mr. Posh stays, it'll be like that dude that won't accept that his GF has broken up with him...
    how can you force someone to do something they don't want to do?
    I know that there are contracts....but if his heart's not in it...just cut your losses. There's going to be a massive and even more distracting circus this year with constant rumours of his departure.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    I agree.
    Garber's BS deadline passed, so he issued a press release saying Soccer spice is coming back to the Gals cuz "he says so."
    I'm sure AC Milan was just thinking they'd let it pass...
    i'm sure they are still working out the details.

If Mr. Posh stays, it'll be like that dude that won't accept that his GF has broken up with him...
    how can you force someone to do something they don't want to do?
    I know that there are contracts....but if his heart's not in it...just cut your losses. There's going to be a massive and even more distracting circus this year with constant rumours of his departure.
    The thing is, with a team like LA in a league like MLS, it isn't just a matter of cutting a player whose heart isn't in the team anymore. LA stands to lose a ton of revenue, if they lose Beckham. This isn't like an EPL team, where the money will flow in, regardless of whether one player leaves town.

From reading LA's statements, it really looks like the negotiations are 100% over. They issued a pretty definitive release stating that it's not fair to the fans and STH's to drag this on any longer, and they were turning down any further talks. Pretty hard to go back on a declaration like that.

The only way I see something getting done, is if Milan or Beckham unexpectedly get petulant about the situation, and try to screw the Galaxy over. I know technically Beckham's loan goes until June (because loans require a certain length), but they have an "agreement" that he will be back for March - perhaps there is an opening there for Becks/Milan to try and pull some legal shenanigans.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playing for LA, Becks still made the England national team, so what's the prob with coming back to LA? He got his "booster shot" playing for Milan. Now come back and play through the whole summer (when Milan is on summer holidays). He'll be in perfect shape for qualifying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think its a good thing becks is gonna stay alteast one more season in the mls, he has alot to do for the sport here, we need him to bring attention to the league. its sad. but its true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

beckham could be sold to any club before oct

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    Forza TFC are you an AC Milan fan? Trane, how do feel about this? Would you want to keep Becks?
    I am, but Milan is not going to bend over for Garber, and as I said Garbers posturing cost the MLS and LA, had they dealt properly they would have had a good deal for both sides, now they lose Becks for nothing in November, and MLS reputation goes down.

Becks is good, but his value to Milan is limited. Garber played his hand to strong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Spot on Trane. Yesterday morning, Setanta reported a deal worth $20 million pending approval. That would have been a nice chunk of change for the league and for the Galaxy.

So what happens now? Thanks to Garber playing the petulant twat Beckham plays in LA for one more season, which he uses to audition for another club (be it Inter or no) then he leaves on a free at season's end.

Mickey League Soccer winds up with egg on their face and lint in their pockets.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post
    ^^ Spot on Trane. Yesterday morning, Setanta reported a deal worth $20 million pending approval. That would have been a nice chunk of change for the league and for the Galaxy.

So what happens now? Thanks to Garber playing the petulant twat Beckham plays in LA for one more season, which he uses to audition for another club (be it Inter or no) then he leaves on a free at season's end.

Mickey League Soccer winds up with egg on their face and lint in their pockets.
    Regardless of what Setanta reported, LA said there was no offer from Milan, after the initial insulting $5 million bid for him.

If anything, Milan overplayed their hand. They were playing great with Becks, and then decided to scoff when MLS dared to assert itself.

Milan tried to take advantage of MLS, and came away empty handed for it. If anything, I think MLS comes out looking better - I'm glad they decided to stand on principles to some extent, rather than just quietly accepting whatever crumbs AC Milan decided to be nice enough to throw them.

Whatever money they lost from Milan, will be easily made up by the marketability Beckham will continue to bring to MLS for another year, at least.

- Scott

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ I think I may have missed it, but although we all know that there is an opt out at the end of this year for Beckham, do we know any of the details (i.e. are we sure it will be a free walk?)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Regardless of what Setanta reported, LA said there was no offer from Milan, after the initial insulting $5 million bid for him.
    True - it's unfair to call Garber a meddling twat based on speculation and rumour