Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Expansion draft

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all we know players could say "I won't play for Seattle so you can leave me unprotected and if they pick me I'll go to Norway" or where ever. Plus the league is known for "helping" teams keep guys or steering players to certain teams right? So, why is this so hard to understand guys?

Better players on those lists make bigger dough as well, which means Seattle couldn't get them all...so with all those factors combined it really does make sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like Ronnie O' was left unprotected right? Is he going to play for Seattle on the dreaded Field Turf? I don't think so. The league wouldn't make him either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle picked players from SJ, Toronto, LA (in the case of LA and Toronto, the guy they took was a complete shock) but decided no one was good enough from two of the league's best teams, DCU and Chivas.

Unbelievable.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-26-2008 at 06:27 PM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They passed over Flores, Razov and Talley from Chivas; they passed up Chris Klein, an established wide player who can be both a mid- and fullback; they passed on Terry Cooke, one of better wingers in the league. They passed on Lider Marmol who, while unheard of in MLS because he's been bench relegated, is a major central defender. They passed on Jo Smith. They passed on Wade Barrett instead of just trading for Jaqua, who wanted to go to Seattle anyway. They passed on Brandon Prideaux, an average wingback who is from Seattle and used to play in USL there.

It was a damn-near unbelievable sequence ofchoices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And we have to do this again next year with Philly and the year after with at least two more teams.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's absolutely bullshit, this expansion draft. No teams should be giving up players for new teams coming into the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://goalseattle1.proboards101.com...ad=2461&page=1

Chris Henderson

(On selecting Jarrod Smith from Toronto FC…) “We did a lot of research, and watched some video and the stats that we had, we liked what we had seen from Jarrod. He’s currently in the New Zealand National Team pool, so that’s something that if he makes the Confederation’s Cup next year, we’ll deal with that. I think he’s a player that’s hungry to prove himself. I think he’s a competitor. He’s a versatile player. He’s a strong target type forward, but he can also play another position. We like that. We see a tremendous upside with Jarrod.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^^^^

Interesting response on there reason for choosing Jarrod.

I_AM_CANADIAN

I hate the stupid expansion draft.

And upon looking at the list, I realized we must have protected Harmse.

You know, the man who's essentially a red card personified. You protect Harmse, but you leave the likes of Ricketts and Johann Smith up for grabs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after watching the Interview...i want to say that Listening to Mo Johnston gives me Anxiety... honestly this guy is the biggest Bull Shitter in the league
    "we could ahve picked up 3 or 4 guys... but then again we could have hang on to guys that we didn;t want to" you mean like Ruiz??

Also he said that now that he manages the team ONLY it's now done properly... to my knowledge no other club in MLS has a pecial position for "Soccer Manager" nor anywhere in the world for that matter. And the worst part is that thus far he's done an awful job.... not only we have no players on the bench that can come in and make an impact but more importantly is that going to third year of our franchise we still have a leaky defence, no offence and unconsistent midfield. The fact that he still has the job and gets 400k for doing this is beyond me...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He was Alexi Lalas's assistant when they were drafted, both in the 2006 draft, which took place in the fall of 2005, so we don't really know how much of a role he had.
    Yes we do. It's well known that Mo chose those players himself. Any RBNY supporter would tell you that.

Altidore and Wynne were brilliant picks that gave Mo the reputation of a great drafter. No less than Ives has said that he is the best drafter in the league. Of course, what does Ives know?

I laugh when I think that your Mo-hatred has gone to such extremes that you would credit Alexi Lalas for good drafting? Talk to any RBNY fan (or LA supporter for that matter): Lalas is an idiot. Period.

My problem with Mo is not in drafting or trading, it's with an inability to find cheap & good international signings, something which an MLS side needs to be competitive. Can Mo overcome his weakness by getting some good scouts? Time will tell.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by I_AM_CANADIAN View Post
    I hate the stupid expansion draft.

And upon looking at the list, I realized we must have protected Harmse.

You know, the man who's essentially a red card personified. You protect Harmse, but you leave the likes of Ricketts and Johann Smith up for grabs?
    It's all strategic. Mo knew they would never pick Ricketts.

Harmse is actually quite good on defense (though not as a midfielder), look at the archive of our last game at BMO and you'll see what I mean.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ua-kozak_TFC View Post
    after watching the Interview...i want to say that Listening to Mo Johnston gives me Anxiety... honestly this guy is the biggest Bull Shitter in the league
    "we could ahve picked up 3 or 4 guys... but then again we could have hang on to guys that we didn;t want to" you mean like Ruiz??

Also he said that now that he manages the team ONLY it's now done properly... to my knowledge no other club in MLS has a pecial position for "Soccer Manager" nor anywhere in the world for that matter. And the worst part is that thus far he's done an awful job.... not only we have no players on the bench that can come in and make an impact but more importantly is that going to third year of our franchise we still have a leaky defence, no offence and unconsistent midfield. The fact that he still has the job and gets 400k for doing this is beyond me...
    dude, Ruiz is gone, his contract is up, hes certainly not staying here.
    and i dunno what football you were watching previously to the MLS but there are a TON of teams that rely on managers to pick players for the coaches. youre hatred of Mo is tiresome, just add to one of the other i hate mo threads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Yes we do. It's well known that Mo chose those players himself. Any RBNY supporter would tell you that.

Altidore and Wynne were brilliant picks that gave Mo the reputation of a great drafter. No less than Ives has said that he is the best drafter in the league. Of course, what does Ives know?

I laugh when I think that your Mo-hatred has gone to such extremes that you would credit Alexi Lalas for good drafting? Talk to any RBNY fan (or LA supporter for that matter): Lalas is an idiot. Period.

My problem with Mo is not in drafting or trading, it's with an inability to find cheap & good international signings, something which an MLS side needs to be competitive. Can Mo overcome his weakness by getting some good scouts? Time will tell.
    Yeah, get off the crack man. I don't hate Mo. I just don't think he has proven fuck all yet, and certainly not enough for the kind of love he seems to by mysteriously getting on the boards this off-season. Give me a DP before training camp, a solid team-leading CB and a good all-purpose midfielder and I'll start buying into "the plan." Until then, I'll just stick with supporting the team.

I do vaguely remember those threads on Ives, so I won't suggest you produce some evidence; but I will say that, given Lalas's ineptitude and Mo's departure shortly thereafter to a chorus of "in over his head", neither man's tenure in New York was exactly a stirling resume point.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jloome-
    I can kinda understand your hesitancy with regards to Mo as hes batting more or less 50/50 right about now (arguably even 60/40) but if there was a season for the guy to produce it would be this season (seeing as it could be his last). I dont think his time at NY is as bad as some suggest tho. I guess we will find out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just for the record: Mo has had some personnel blunders here

- the Mulrooney fiasco, which wound up costing us the second overall pick in the draft last year

- Phelan and Boyens - two recent first round picks that are already gone, with no return

- Welsh and Robert
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by I_AM_CANADIAN View Post
    I used to think that too, but he's buckled down after getting "the treatment" from JC after his DC red early in 2008. He's definitely got use now. It's just that his image from his old "I'm-a-red-card-waiting-to-happen" days hasn't gone yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Just for the record: Mo has had some personnel blunders here

- the Mulrooney fiasco, which wound up costing us the second overall pick in the draft last year

- Phelan and Boyens - two recent first round picks that are already gone, with no return

-Welsh and Robert
    - Wasn't Welsh recommended by Robinson? All that means is that we shouldn't let Robbo scout.
    - Robert was more of a Carver thing. Robert was playing well but then just got lazy.
    - Phelan: no argument there.
    - Boyens: wasn't he waived to make room for a better player? Wasn't it Guevara or something?
    - Mulrooney: don't remember that. Could you explain what happened there?

It's not as bad as some make it to sound.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    - Wasn't Welsh recommended by Robinson? All that means is that we shouldn't let Robbo scout.
    - Robert was more of a Carver thing. Robert was playing well but then just got lazy.
    - Phelan: no argument there.
    - Boyens: wasn't he waived to make room for a better player? Wasn't it Guevara or something?
    - Mulrooney: don't remember that. Could you explain what happened there?

It's not as bad as some make it to sound.
    Robert clearly came here of Carver, but it's still Mo who signed him as GM. Same for Welsh. Mo owns those signings 100%. That's life as the GM.

Mulrooney was Dallas' starting MF. In pre-season last year, Mo traded our first rounder in 2008 (plus something I think) for him. Turns out his wife didn't want to come to Toronto or some such. Two games later we traded Mulrooney to Houston for their first rounder and Goldthwaite. Problem is, Houston's pick was 11th overall (if I recall correctly), ours was 2nd overall. No way Goldthwaite/Dunivant was worth sliding from 2nd to 11th in the draft for.

That Houston first round pick went to RSL for Cunny. I forgot to put him on that list. I also forgot to mention Esky, Buddle, (these two cases are a bit complex, I admit) plus Braz and Reda (disasters by any measure).

There's quite a bit to criticize Mo for. Having said that, Wynne, Edu, Brennan, Robinson, Dichio, Ibrahim, getting Guevara for almost nothing, same with Barrett, having 3 picks in the first round this year.....there's a lot to like.

50/50 is about right. Jury is still out for me.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-27-2008 at 08:29 AM.

I_AM_CANADIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    I used to think that too, but he's buckled down after getting "the treatment" from JC after his DC red early in 2008. He's definitely got use now. It's just that his image from his old "I'm-a-red-card-waiting-to-happen" days hasn't gone yet.
    I admit he has played well on defence in the last month or so, but who's to say the random acts of violence aren't completely out of his system? He's a useful player to have, but if they'd chosen one of Ricketts or Johann Smith, I would have cursed Mo Johnston to hell.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

I do vaguely remember those threads on Ives, so I won't suggest you produce some evidence; but I will say that, given Lalas's ineptitude and Mo's departure shortly thereafter to a chorus of "in over his head", neither man's tenure in New York was exactly a stirling resume point.
    Mo's departure had mostly to do with Red Bull taking over and wanting to clean out the AEG bunch. New York has averaged almost 1 coaching change per year since it's start, so it's no reflection (good or bad) on Mo.

I'm not sold on Mo, he's still gotta prove himself this season, but neither am I in the "Mo's an idiot" camp.

Now, after reading Seattle's reasoning for their picks, I think we can both agree that their GM is less than stellar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    http://goalseattle1.proboards101.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=seattlemls&thread=2 461&page=1
    Chris Henderson

(On selecting Jarrod Smith from Toronto FC…) “We did a lot of research, and watched some video and the stats that we had, we liked what we had seen from Jarrod. He’s currently in the New Zealand National Team pool, so that’s something that if he makes the Confederation’s Cup next year, we’ll deal with that. I think he’s a player that’s hungry to prove himself. I think he’s a competitor. He’s a versatile player. He’s a strong target type forward, but he can also play another position. We like that. We see a tremendous upside with Jarrod.”
    That's basically what I was saying earlier about Jarrod. I still think he has more to show than what we saw. Think about it, he was almost always paired up with shit when he played up front (pie man, cunny) and sometimes stuck out on the wing, where I personally thought he did quite well considering he was supposed to be a dedicated striker.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    He's a promising young Int'l player with some speed, some skill and he's got decent ability in the air.

I mean, Jarrod Smith isn't terrible. He's been a utility player for us, but he's never had a proper crack at first team time in one dedicated position. I can see him doing well there if they give him some time.

If they keep him included semi regularily in their first team plans this year, I think you'll see a decent improvement in his consistancy and overall form.

Good luck Jarrod, you busted your balls for us and for that I'm grateful. Not every player who's donned our jersey has put forth as much effort as you have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jarrod Smith = Andrea Lombardo, both hard running and hard working players, both found it hard to find the back of the net, both gave it their all when they were on the field, no big loss here. Andrea Lombardo was not a big loss when they let him go, and Jarrod Smith is no big loss either. The only thing about Lombardo was that he was Canadian and it's always a bit sad when a Canadian player does not work out after showing a little bit of potential when he was first signed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, Smith is a much more talented and promising player than Lombardo.

That said, it was probably the best outcome from the expansion draft we could have hoped for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, Smith is a much more talented and promising player than Lombardo.

That said, it was probably the best outcome from the expansion draft we could have hoped for.
    no question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ps. Justin, sounds like I got out of the Winterpeg trip. I'll let you know if I get screwed into going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like I said Jarrod Smith and Lombardo are the same type of player, Jarrod Smith much more talented and promising than Lombardo no way. Same type of players only difference is in their names. I have players on my U13 Boys Rep. team I coach with more skill and promise than those two put together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan View Post
    Like I said Jarrod Smith and Lombardo are the same type of player, Jarrod Smith much more talented and promising than Lombardo no way. Same type of players only difference is in their names. I have players on my U13 Boys Rep. team I coach with more skill and promise than those two put together.

Sorry, but I'll put money on those promising kids not making it as far as Smith.

Reality is, Jarrod Smith is an International player, actual professional coaches see something in him. I'm not sure why people are so overly negative around here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ps. Justin, sounds like I got out of the Winterpeg trip. I'll let you know if I get screwed into going.
    lucky bastard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Robert clearly came here of Carver, but it's still Mo who signed him as GM. Same for Welsh. Mo owns those signings 100%. That's life as the GM.

Mulrooney was Dallas' starting MF. In pre-season last year, Mo traded our first rounder in 2008 (plus something I think) for him. Turns out his wife didn't want to come to Toronto or some such. Two games later we traded Mulrooney to Houston for their first rounder and Goldthwaite. Problem is, Houston's pick was 11th overall (if I recall correctly), ours was 2nd overall. No way Goldthwaite/Dunivant was worth sliding from 2nd to 11th in the draft for.

That Houston first round pick went to RSL for Cunny. I forgot to put him on that list. I also forgot to mention Esky, Buddle, (these two cases are a bit complex, I admit) plus Braz and Reda (disasters by any measure).

There's quite a bit to criticize Mo for. Having said that, Wynne, Edu, Brennan, Robinson, Dichio, Ibrahim, getting Guevara for almost nothing, same with Barrett, having 3 picks in the first round this year.....there's a lot to like.

50/50 is about right. Jury is still out for me.
    Yeah, that seems fair. Although not obvious (and it sounds somewhat insane), it may be unfair to judge Mo on the Cunny deal. At the time, he was getting one of MLS's top all-time strikers and at the time, there was no indication that he couldn't replicate his form for us. We all know how that turned out and I'm pretty sure everyone knows how much I hate Cunny.